Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Failed Oil Gun

I needed an oil-, as opposed to grease-, gun, and bought a Cogex one
from Amazon, as it was described as just what I wanted. The flexible
hose says that it's rated for 10,000 psi. A pity that the crimped
fitting to the nozzle at the end of the hose is only good for maybe 10
psi. Is that how they rate them in France, I wonder?
The replacement gun is on its way, with no problem. Let's hope...... If
not, then I'll just use the solid pipe from one of my old dead grease
guns, the fitting is the same, and I can avoid the need for a flexible
hose. But I wanted to make sure that the defective one was returned,
hopefully, to its maker, if Amazon do that, so that they know the
problem.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 18 Jun 2015 00:50:54 +0100, Davey wrote:

[...]

If you have a lathe it's a relatively simple matter to make your own.
That's what I did. I was pleasantly surprised I got a good seal around
the oil nipples with minimal loss. Not really sure why this should be the
case bare metal to bare metal, but somehow it does!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 19 Jun 2015 21:24:16 +0000 (UTC)
Cursitor Doom wrote:

On Thu, 18 Jun 2015 00:50:54 +0100, Davey wrote:

[...]

If you have a lathe it's a relatively simple matter to make your own.
That's what I did. I was pleasantly surprised I got a good seal
around the oil nipples with minimal loss. Not really sure why this
should be the case bare metal to bare metal, but somehow it does!

No lathe. I don't, at the moment, even have a bench vise. Still setting
up after moving back home after many years overseas.
But thanks.
And anyway, as I said, an old fixed tube will fit just fine if the
replacement does the same thing.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cursitor Doom wrote:

On Thu, 18 Jun 2015 00:50:54 +0100, Davey wrote:

[...]

If you have a lathe it's a relatively simple matter to make your own.
That's what I did. I was pleasantly surprised I got a good seal
around the oil nipples with minimal loss. Not really sure why this
should be the case bare metal to bare metal, but somehow it does!

When the replacement arrived today, I opened the one-page 'User Manual',
that is in French only. It states that the gun is to be used only with
grease, and that anything else, such as liquids, are no good. But the
Amazon page from which I ordered it clearly said that it was an Oil
Gun, I took a snapshot just in case.

Here's the page:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cogex-B006T3...keywords=cogex

I like the recommendation, that:
"Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought": Dim Men's Boxer Shorts.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/06/2015 00:29, Davey wrote:

When the replacement arrived today, I opened the one-page 'User Manual',
that is in French only. It states that the gun is to be used only with
grease, and that anything else, such as liquids, are no good. But the
Amazon page from which I ordered it clearly said that it was an Oil
Gun, I took a snapshot just in case.

Here's the page:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cogex-B006T3...keywords=cogex

The base of that tells me it's a grease gun - liquid will fall out won't it?

Amazon do returns don't they?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Metal-Bottle...ywords=oil+gun

looks more like an oil gun to me. Though it looks too cheap to be any good.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 20 Jun 2015 01:13:50 +0100
Clive George wrote:

Here's the page:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cogex-B006T3...keywords=cogex

The base of that tells me it's a grease gun - liquid will fall out
won't it?

It has a proper seal in the barrel, and when I tried it, no
oil came out at either of the barrel joints. But I intend to hang it up
where it will be safe if it drips while unused. As there will be long
periods between uses, I may well empty it of oil each time.

Amazon do returns don't they?

Yep, but if I find nothing else within 30 days that is better, I'll
keep this, even if I have to use my old solid tube instead of the flex.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Metal-Bottle...ywords=oil+gun

looks more like an oil gun to me. Though it looks too cheap to be any
good.

No chance, it doesn't have the power that a real gun provides. I want
one that fits on a grease nipple just like a grease gun, but pumps
heavy oil instead of grease. I already have a simple oil can, but that
is no way any good for this.

Thanks for looking.

--
Davey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Clive George wrote:

[...]

Something like this :

http://www.lathespares.co.uk/oil-gun-myford-lathe-1

?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 20 Jun 2015 16:48:08 +0100
Clive George wrote:

On 20/06/2015 11:42, Davey wrote:
On Sat, 20 Jun 2015 01:13:50 +0100
Clive George wrote:

snip

No chance, it doesn't have the power that a real gun provides. I
want one that fits on a grease nipple just like a grease gun, but
pumps heavy oil instead of grease. I already have a simple oil can,
but that is no way any good for this.

Something like this :

http://www.lathespares.co.uk/oil-gun-myford-lathe-1

?

OOh! That looks good. Thanks. If I give up on the Cogex, that is my
next choice. 15cl isn't much, but if it does the job, not a problem.

I also looked at items 14 & 15, which appear to be versions of my old
but faithful Wanner grease gun, and they take 120cc. But it looks as
though they might have got the wrong photo for the nipple type in item
15, if the one that you pointed out and its 'pair' are any indication.
Am I missing something, before I send them a message querying this?

Are these guns all activated by pressing down on the base? I see no
lever to actuate. That would be a problem, as there is limited space
for arm movement.

A pity I didn't know I was going to have a problem before I had a
problem, or I would have asked here first!

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/06/2015 17:24, Davey wrote:

Something like this :

http://www.lathespares.co.uk/oil-gun-myford-lathe-1

?

OOh! That looks good. Thanks. If I give up on the Cogex, that is my
next choice. 15cl isn't much, but if it does the job, not a problem.

I also looked at items 14 & 15, which appear to be versions of my old
but faithful Wanner grease gun, and they take 120cc. But it looks as
though they might have got the wrong photo for the nipple type in item
15, if the one that you pointed out and its 'pair' are any indication.
Am I missing something, before I send them a message querying this?

I'm afraid I have no idea. I have no experience with these, but was
sufficiently interested to do a little googling :-) So asking sounds
like a good plan.

Are these guns all activated by pressing down on the base? I see no
lever to actuate. That would be a problem, as there is limited space
for arm movement.

I think that one might be, though I'm only guessing. I found that one by
asking amazon for "oil gun", finding

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pressure-Pet...ywords=oil+gun

as the only one which looked even slightly like a quality product,
seeing the review saying he'd got one for his myford lathe, so googled
for myford oil gun.

I suspect the one in lathespares might be the same one as in the amazon
link - the price is similar.

A pity I didn't know I was going to have a problem before I had a
problem, or I would have asked here first!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 20 Jun 2015 17:35:58 +0100
Clive George wrote:

I think that one might be, though I'm only guessing. I found that one
by asking amazon for "oil gun", finding

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pressure-Pet...ywords=oil+gun

I also started by Searching Amazon, but I never saw that gun.

Just another unanswered question concerning the internet.

"One day, all e-mail messages sent will also be received. The problem
is, we won't know which day it is".

--
Davey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/06/2015 00:29, Davey wrote:
When the replacement arrived today, I opened the one-page 'User Manual',
that is in French only. It states that the gun is to be used only with
grease, and that anything else, such as liquids, are no good. But the
Amazon page from which I ordered it clearly said that it was an Oil
Gun, I took a snapshot just in case.

Here's the page:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cogex-B006T3...keywords=cogex

Cogex seem to be French, and searching that part number comes up with
"Graisse", not "Huile". I think this could be an Amazon cockup.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 21 Jun 2015 21:29:13 +0100
Vir Campestris wrote:

On 20/06/2015 00:29, Davey wrote:
When the replacement arrived today, I opened the one-page 'User
Manual', that is in French only. It states that the gun is to be
used only with grease, and that anything else, such as liquids, are
no good. But the Amazon page from which I ordered it clearly said
that it was an Oil Gun, I took a snapshot just in case.

Here's the page:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cogex-B006T3...keywords=cogex

Cogex seem to be French, and searching that part number comes up with
"Graisse", not "Huile". I think this could be an Amazon cockup.

Andy

Yep, it is. And since the replacement leaked oil copiously out of the
plunger hole, it also will be going back, with a refund demanded, as
not fit for use as sold.
See my mention of the manual being in French only, and talking only of
grease.
Just in case, I took a snapshot of the Amazon page, above, from which I
ordered it, clearly displaying 'Oil Gun' in case they argue.
But at least the replacement didn't leak oil out of the flex. hose!

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Davey wrote:

I needed an oil-, as opposed to grease-, gun, and bought a Cogex one
from Amazon, as it was described as just what I wanted. The flexible
hose says that it's rated for 10,000 psi. A pity that the crimped
fitting to the nozzle at the end of the hose is only good for maybe 10
psi. Is that how they rate them in France, I wonder?
The replacement gun is on its way, with no problem. Let's hope......
If not, then I'll just use the solid pipe from one of my old dead
grease guns, the fitting is the same, and I can avoid the need for a
flexible hose. But I wanted to make sure that the defective one was
returned, hopefully, to its maker, if Amazon do that, so that they
know the problem.

Update:
The second unit was returned as "Unsuitable for Purpose", and the refund
has been issued.

Amazon made it easy to return.

--
Davey.

Help to ID failed capacitor CB UK diy 17 October 1st 15 10:24 AM
Another Failed Presidency Larry Jaques Metalworking 2 November 29th 09 12:41 AM
Another Failed Presidency Ed Huntress Metalworking 0 November 24th 09 04:50 AM
Another Failed Presidency William Wixon Metalworking 1 November 23rd 09 09:30 PM
I Failed my EPC!!!! Recyclist UK diy 34 September 11th 09 01:22 PM