Posted to uk.d-i-y
CB CB is offline

Default Help to ID failed capacitor

During the preparation of yet another batch of mince pies my other
half's trusty (30 odd year old) mixer let go with a very spectacular bang.

Investigation shows a failed capacitor across the 240v/140W motor.

a picture of the failed capacitor is here

http://s1317.photobucket.com/user/dr...a2aac.jpg.html

I am afraid that although I can read that it is a 240 V unit I cant see
enough info (in numbers I can understand) to indicate how many mF. I
have done a high res photo that will stand zooming in.

Would somebody be kind enough to have a look and identify for me what
sort of unit I should be looking for as a replacement.

Thanks in anticipation
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 22 Dec 2014 16:42:52 +0000, CB wrote:

During the preparation of yet another batch of mince pies my other
half's trusty (30 odd year old) mixer let go with a very spectacular
bang.

Investigation shows a failed capacitor across the 240v/140W motor.

a picture of the failed capacitor is here

http://s1317.photobucket.com/user/dr.../media/Public/

P1050230_zpsacaa2aac.jpg.html

I am afraid that although I can read that it is a 240 V unit I cant see
enough info (in numbers I can understand) to indicate how many mF. I
have done a high res photo that will stand zooming in.

Would somebody be kind enough to have a look and identify for me what
sort of unit I should be looking for as a replacement.

Thanks in anticipation

Suspect it is a 'filter' cap and seems to say PME271M568 which according
to rifa is obsolete

http://www.plccenter.co.uk/

And from its number looks like it should be a 0.068uF (68nF) rated at
250VAC (and I would suggest X or Y rated as it is across the mains

http://www.audiocap.co.uk/paper-pme271m-53-c.asp have some similar but
not 68nF

However ebay item 370643508373 looks like the chappie

HTH

Avpx

--
'Things either exist or they don't,' said Jeremy. 'I am very
clear about that. I have medicine.'
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 22 Dec 2014 17:25:41 +0000, The Nomad wrote:

[...]

Bad form I know but ...

A search of farnell for pme271M568

give 4 items that look to be what you need, & less expensive than ebay
but there is likely a minimum order from Farnell.

RS also stock them.

Regards

Avpx

--
It was easy to be a vegetarian by day. It was preventing yourself from
becoming a humanitarian at night that took the real effort.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
CB CB is offline

On 22/12/2014 17:38, The Nomad wrote:
[...]

Thanks all for the rapid responses - and for the other responders advice
that till I get a replacement it can run without - no one local to be
bothered by AM interference.

Regards.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

CB wrote:
During the preparation of yet another batch of mince pies my other
half's trusty (30 odd year old) mixer let go with a very spectacular bang.

Investigation shows a failed capacitor across the 240v/140W motor.

a picture of the failed capacitor is here

http://s1317.photobucket.com/user/dr...a2aac.jpg.html

I am afraid that although I can read that it is a 240 V unit I cant see
enough info (in numbers I can understand) to indicate how many mF. I
have done a high res photo that will stand zooming in.

Would somebody be kind enough to have a look and identify for me what
sort of unit I should be looking for as a replacement.

That's an X-rated RF suppression capacitor, to prevent motor noise going
back into the mains. Shouldn't imagine the value is desperately critical,
especially since we don't know the inductance of the motor. The most
important feature is that it's X-rated, so it will cope with being across
the mains all the time. Pick one:

http://www.rapidonline.com/electroni...s-x2-20-526016
(other suppliers are available...)

Background:
http://www.justradios.com/safetytips.html

Theo

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/12/2014 16:42, CB wrote:
During the preparation of yet another batch of mince pies my other
half's trusty (30 odd year old) mixer let go with a very spectacular bang.

Investigation shows a failed capacitor across the 240v/140W motor.

a picture of the failed capacitor is here

http://s1317.photobucket.com/user/dr...a2aac.jpg.html

I am afraid that although I can read that it is a 240 V unit I cant see
enough info (in numbers I can understand) to indicate how many mF. I
have done a high res photo that will stand zooming in.

Would somebody be kind enough to have a look and identify for me what
sort of unit I should be looking for as a replacement.

It looks like an X2 suppression cap + resistor in a single package
designed to be wired straight across the mains in.

Plenty of similar beasties out there. Normally about 0.1 uF, although
that one appears a little lower at about 0.07 uF (its not going to be
that critical)

http://www.datasheetarchive.com/dlma.../DSA-19649.pdf

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
CB writes:
During the preparation of yet another batch of mince pies my other
half's trusty (30 odd year old) mixer let go with a very spectacular bang.

Investigation shows a failed capacitor across the 240v/140W motor.

a picture of the failed capacitor is here

http://s1317.photobucket.com/user/dr...a2aac.jpg.html

I am afraid that although I can read that it is a 240 V unit I cant see
enough info (in numbers I can understand) to indicate how many mF. I
have done a high res photo that will stand zooming in.

Would somebody be kind enough to have a look and identify for me what
sort of unit I should be looking for as a replacement.

Just cut it out for now. It's an RF supression capacitor, which will
make listening to AM radio difficult whilst the mixer is running
without it, but the mixer won't care.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
cd cd is offline

On Mon, 22 Dec 2014 17:36:54 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Just cut it out for now. It's an RF supression capacitor, which will
make listening to AM radio difficult whilst the mixer is running without
it, but the mixer won't care.

I encountered something like this on a high-end compound microscope. It
had gone short-circuit and kept blowing fuses. Had some self-resonant
frequency marked on it for some reason - not sure what on earth that
would be necessary for. It only had a light, no motor(s).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

cd wrote:
On Mon, 22 Dec 2014 17:36:54 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Just cut it out for now. It's an RF supression capacitor, which will
make listening to AM radio difficult whilst the mixer is running without
it, but the mixer won't care.

I encountered something like this on a high-end compound microscope. It
had gone short-circuit and kept blowing fuses. Had some self-resonant
frequency marked on it for some reason - not sure what on earth that
would be necessary for. It only had a light, no motor(s).

Guess you are not alone...

http://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=69128

Chris K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/12/14 16:42, CB wrote:
During the preparation of yet another batch of mince pies my other
half's trusty (30 odd year old) mixer let go with a very spectacular bang.

Investigation shows a failed capacitor across the 240v/140W motor.

a picture of the failed capacitor is here

http://s1317.photobucket.com/user/dr...a2aac.jpg.html

I am afraid that although I can read that it is a 240 V unit I cant see
enough info (in numbers I can understand) to indicate how many mF. I
have done a high res photo that will stand zooming in.

Would somebody be kind enough to have a look and identify for me what
sort of unit I should be looking for as a replacement.

Thanks in anticipation

This may help

http://vps.templar.co.uk/Fixing%20a%...f/bbc_0002.jpg

a 0.47 and a 0.15 are the usuals.

Search google groups for my thread on fixing a kenwood in UK DIY

Posted to uk.d-i-y
CB CB is offline

On 22/12/14 16:42, CB wrote:
[...]

Thank you - some interesting photos (even though my machine is not a
chef).

I'm fairly new to uk-diy but interested to note that threads
degenerating into UNIX code and slanging matches is nothing new or
unusual :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/12/2014 18:28, CB wrote:
On 22/12/14 16:42, CB wrote:
[...]

A Christmas classic! Someone took exception to The Natural Philosopher
uploading straight-out-of-camera to his _own_ web space. My mum's Chef
is doing fine since the repair.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 22 Dec 2014 16:42:52 +0000, CB wrote:

Would somebody be kind enough to have a look and identify for me what
sort of unit I should be looking for as a replacement.

I've got a box full as they are used, and frequently fail, on old
Farnell power supplies. Send me your details and I'll put one in the
post for you.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
CB CB is offline

On 22/12/2014 22:25, Peter Parry wrote:
On Mon, 22 Dec 2014 16:42:52 +0000, CB wrote:

Would somebody be kind enough to have a look and identify for me what
sort of unit I should be looking for as a replacement.

I've got a box full as they are used, and frequently fail, on old
Farnell power supplies. Send me your details and I'll put one in the
post for you.

Thanks for the offer, but I picked one up today in Maplin. (yes I know
but I was nearby, could buy only one and had no postal charges)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

CB wrote:
During the preparation of yet another batch of mince pies my other
half's trusty (30 odd year old) mixer let go with a very spectacular bang.

Investigation shows a failed capacitor across the 240v/140W motor.

a picture of the failed capacitor is here

http://s1317.photobucket.com/user/dr...a2aac.jpg.html

I am afraid that although I can read that it is a 240 V unit I cant see
enough info (in numbers I can understand) to indicate how many mF. I
have done a high res photo that will stand zooming in.

Would somebody be kind enough to have a look and identify for me what
sort of unit I should be looking for as a replacement.

Thanks in anticipation

Although it will be dearer get one as a spare part from the manufacturers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/10/2015 01:39, F Murtz wrote:
CB wrote:
During the preparation of yet another batch of mince pies my other
half's trusty (30 odd year old) mixer let go with a very spectacular
bang.

Investigation shows a failed capacitor across the 240v/140W motor.

a picture of the failed capacitor is here

http://s1317.photobucket.com/user/dr...a2aac.jpg.html

I am afraid that although I can read that it is a 240 V unit I cant see
enough info (in numbers I can understand) to indicate how many mF. I
have done a high res photo that will stand zooming in.

Would somebody be kind enough to have a look and identify for me what
sort of unit I should be looking for as a replacement.

Thanks in anticipation

Although it will be dearer get one as a spare part from the
manufacturers.

Wow, you do like to consistently dig up old posts! Dec 2104, about the
same as the "letter box idea".
Posted to uk.d-i-y

CB wrote:
[...]

What century are you living in? :-)

--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Fredxxx
escribió:

Wow, you do like to consistently dig up old posts! Dec 2104, about the

^^^^
same as the "letter box idea".

Your time machine also seems to be in good working order

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) Bunny says: Windows 10? Nein danke!