Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Diy gas .....

On 07/05/2015 18:27, Tim Watts wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
There's no such thing as a compentent DIYer any more according to the
law applied to working on gas. You MUST be qualified in that area of gas
you're working on, AND (Note the AND it's not an OR function) gas safe
registared. So unless you're gas safe registered and qualified in that
area then you can't DIY gas.

With respect, ********. *If* you are competent you can legally work on
your own gas supply. Regardless of what some of the trade bodies try to
tell you.

Thank you for backing me up.

I thought everyone on the group knew the score...

Well we have this discussion every year or so... in a sense its
worthwhile in case anyone does spot a change in legislation.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 7 May 2015 16:12:55 UTC+1, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Thursday, 7 May 2015 14:34:34 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Martin Bonner wrote:
The law _also_ requires that the person doing the work is
competent
(and that is the work the law uses). If there is an explosion,
the
HSE have a good case that the fitter wasn't competent.

Which is just as likely to happen with a pro fitter as a competent
DIYer.

There's no such thing as a compentent DIYer any more according to
the
law
applied to working on gas.
You MUST be qualified in that area of gas you're working on, AND
(Note
the
AND it's not an OR function) gas safe registared.
So unless you're gas safe registered and qualified in that area then
you
can't DIY gas.

Perhaps even more so as only an idiot would not do things correctly
on
their own house gas supply.

Thinking you are compendent and being so are two differnt things.

But it's a different matter with some pros as
it's impossible to be 100% sure they are competent. Or take care..

but thats NOT the law is it.
If you employ someone that is qualified and gas safe to do they work
and they **** it up you won;t be held to blame, whereas if you get
someone
in
and they aren't then you could be held to blame as well as the
fitter
if
something goes wrong.

but who is to know ? ........

Er that's why you have qualifications and the like.
How do you pick a doctor or car mechanic.

Doctors are not picked in my experience and I don't use car mechanics I
diy

What do you mean doctors aren't picked. You can choose a doctor.

only fussy people that think they know better do that .....

Like me recently, I chose not to go on a particular doctors list as he was retiring so I opted to go on the list of someone that wasn't retiring next month according to the website. at that surgery. So they put me on the doctors list that was retiring and when I went to see the doctor he had retired so I've never have seen the one stated on the NHS card I have. I thought it a good idea not to have a doctor that had retired but it seems the NHS know better.
Not only that they have given me a middle name which I don't have, not just that but the name they have given me is Tracy !! FFS !!!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 7 May 2015 17:59:35 UTC+1, Tim Watts wrote:
Martin Bonner wrote:
The law _also_ requires that the person doing the work is competent
(and that is the work the law uses). If there is an explosion, the
HSE have a good case that the fitter wasn't competent.

Which is just as likely to happen with a pro fitter as a competent DIYer.

There's no such thing as a compentent DIYer any more according to the law
applied to working on gas.
You MUST be qualified in that area of gas you're working on, AND (Note the AND it's not an OR function) gas safe registared.
So unless you're gas safe registered and qualified in that area then you can't DIY gas.

I think you're completely wrong on that point.

And I think you are completely wrong.

Can you cite the specific part of the statue you think has changed this?

changed what exactly the law hasn't changed as such what has change was how a person is seen to be able to do the job.

In which case YOU are wrong.

The only people who need to be members of GasSafe are people doing gas
work for hire or reward.

Where does it say that ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Thursday, 7 May 2015 16:55:15 UTC+1, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Thursday, 7 May 2015 16:25:49 UTC+1, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Thursday, 7 May 2015 16:12:55 UTC+1, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Thursday, 7 May 2015 14:34:34 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:
In article
,
Martin Bonner wrote:
[...]

The system noticed those hormone injections, stupid.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/05/15 11:40, whisky-dave wrote:

The only people who need to be members of GasSafe are people doing gas
work for hire or reward.

Where does it say that ?

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1...ulation/3/made

3.(1) to 3.(3)

There, I've cited.

If you wish to contest, please do me the same courtesy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

OK Trace .....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Thursday, 7 May 2015 16:55:15 UTC+1, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Thursday, 7 May 2015 16:25:49 UTC+1, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Thursday, 7 May 2015 16:12:55 UTC+1, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Thursday, 7 May 2015 14:34:34 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:
In article
,
Martin Bonner wrote:
[...]

like Paul O'Grady he used to be a lady .....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
OK Trace .....

Jim,

Just curious as to why you have popped up in here?

Gareth

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"gareth" wrote in message
"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
OK Trace .....

Jim,

Just curious as to why you have popped up in here?

Gareth

much nicer class of people and am getting opinions on things that have
annoyed me for years and didn't seem to have any answer ......however they
still don't as everybody has different opinions .....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message

"gareth" wrote in message
"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
OK Trace .....

Jim,

Just curious as to why you have popped up in here?

Gareth

much nicer class of people and am getting opinions on things that have
annoyed me for years and didn't seem to have any answer ......however they
still don't as everybody has different opinions .....

and unlikely as it sounds I may be able to help someone ......without doing
a 'brian'

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 8 May 2015 12:19:01 UTC+1, Tim Watts wrote:
On 08/05/15 11:40, whisky-dave wrote:

The only people who need to be members of GasSafe are people doing gas
work for hire or reward.

Where does it say that ?

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1...ulation/3/made

3.(1) to 3.(3)

There, I've cited.

If you wish to contest, please do me the same courtesy.

That is linking to it.
3.--(1) No person shall carry out any work in relation to a gas fitting or gas storage vessel unless he is competent to do so.
As I said and asked "he" means a women can not do the job, and there's no indication of how a person is deemed to be "competent to do so".

How would an employer know whether an individual can do the specific task ?
And this individual refered to as a person, it mentions nothing about whether you pay them or whether they are your a brother or uncle or friend.

(2) The employer of any person carrying out such work for that employer, every other employer and self-employed person who has control to any extent of such work and every employer and self-employed person who has required such work to be carried out at any place of work under his control shall ensure that paragraph (1) above is complied with in relation to such work.

(3) Without prejudice to the generality of paragraphs (1) and (2) above and subject to paragraph (4) below, no employer shall allow any of his employees to carry out any work in relation to a gas fitting or service pipework and no self-employed person shall carry out any such work, unless the employer or self-employed person, as the case may be, is a member of a class of persons approved for the time being by the Health and Safety Executive for the purposes of this paragraph.

Of course if you believe that the word employ means you have to pay someone then maybe yuor right but in English Employ doesn't just mean that.

If what you say is true then why would there be any legislation on this you can just say, anyone that thinks they can do the work is allowed to do so.
Or anytone can do gas work provided they don;t charge you fro doing it and you don't reward them in any other way.
This would enable charities to take on such work.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 8 May 2015 12:11:04 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Thursday, 7 May 2015 16:55:15 UTC+1, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Thursday, 7 May 2015 16:25:49 UTC+1, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Thursday, 7 May 2015 16:12:55 UTC+1, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Thursday, 7 May 2015 14:34:34 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:
In article
,
Martin Bonner wrote:
[...]

I wonder what system that was, and why they'd add a name any name.
They told me it was an administration error.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Friday, 8 May 2015 12:11:04 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Thursday, 7 May 2015 16:55:15 UTC+1, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Thursday, 7 May 2015 16:25:49 UTC+1, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Thursday, 7 May 2015 16:12:55 UTC+1, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Thursday, 7 May 2015 14:34:34 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:
In article
,
Martin Bonner wrote:
[...]

The NHS, stupid.

and why they'd add a name any name.

Because they had noticed the hormone injections, Tracy.

They told me it was an administration error.

They lied.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 8 May 2015 13:43:43 UTC+1, whisky-dave wrote:
3.--(1) No person shall carry out any work in relation to a gas fitting or
gas storage vessel unless he is competent to do so.
As I said and asked "he" means a women can not do the job, and there's
no indication of how a person is deemed to be "competent to do so".

Actually there is a law which says "he" means "he or she" in laws unless the
context shows otherwise.

As you say, the law doesn't say what "competent" means - so the standard rule
for interpreting laws means we just use the ordinary meaning of the word.

How would an employer know whether an individual can do the specific task ?
And this individual referred to as a person, it mentions nothing about whether
you pay them or whether they are your a brother or uncle or friend.

Quite. If you do it yourself, or your brother does it for you, or whatever,
the person doing it has to be "competent".

(2) The employer of any person carrying out such work for that employer,
every other employer and self-employed person who has control to any extent
of such work and every employer and self-employed person who has required
such work to be carried out at any place of work under his control shall
ensure that paragraph (1) above is complied with in relation to such work.

That just says that they can go after the boss as well as the incompetent
fitter.

(3) Without prejudice to the generality of paragraphs (1) and (2) above and
subject to paragraph (4) below, no employer shall allow any of his employees
to carry out any work in relation to a gas fitting or service pipework and no
self-employed person shall carry out any such work, unless the employer or
self-employed person, as the case may be, is a member of a class of persons
approved for the time being by the Health and Safety Executive for the purposes
of this paragraph.

(Where the only such "class of person" currently approved is "registered with
GasSafe")

Of course if you believe that the word employ means you have to pay someone
then maybe your right but in English Employ doesn't just mean that.

I think that "employ" *does* mean you have to pay - but the pay doesn't have
to be money. It might even be "love and affection"; which means getting
your brother to do the gas might be problematic *BUT* doing it yourself
(if you are competent) is fine.

If what you say is true then why would there be any legislation on this
you can just say, anyone that thinks they can do the work is allowed to do so.

No. Anyone that actually *can* do the work is allowed to - not just thinks
they can.

Or anyone can do gas work provided they don't charge you for doing it and
you don't reward them in any other way.

That's right.

This would enable charities to take on such work.

Not really. Only a real person (in legal speak, "a natural person") can
actually do the work. The only way a charity could do it, is to to
employ somebody - at which point you are back to "is a member of a class of
persons". (A charity probably could organize volunteer gas fitters - but
is *very* unlikely to do so.)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/05/15 13:43, whisky-dave wrote:

That is linking to it.
3.--(1) No person shall carry out any work in relation to a gas fitting or gas storage vessel unless he is competent to do so.
As I said and asked "he" means a women can not do the job, and there's no indication of how a person is deemed to be "competent to do so".

That's just standard phrasing - it does not preclude women.

And correct, there is no definition of "competant".

[...]

It does in this case.

If what you say is true then why would there be any legislation on this you can just say, anyone that thinks they can do the work is allowed to do so.
Or anytone can do gas work provided they don;t charge you fro doing it and you don't reward them in any other way.
This would enable charities to take on such work.

Quite possibly possible but none would because no charity would want to
do so.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 8 May 2015 13:50:54 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Friday, 8 May 2015 12:11:04 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Thursday, 7 May 2015 16:55:15 UTC+1, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Thursday, 7 May 2015 16:25:49 UTC+1, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Thursday, 7 May 2015 16:12:55 UTC+1, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Thursday, 7 May 2015 14:34:34 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:
In article
,
Martin Bonner wrote:
[...]

Who noticed them, they must have been pretty good to have noticed them over the phone.

They told me it was an administration error.

They lied.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 8 May 2015 14:33:49 UTC+1, Tim Watts wrote:
On 08/05/15 13:43, whisky-dave wrote:

That is linking to it.
3.--(1) No person shall carry out any work in relation to a gas fitting or gas storage vessel unless he is competent to do so.
As I said and asked "he" means a women can not do the job, and there's no indication of how a person is deemed to be "competent to do so".

That's just standard phrasing - it does not preclude women.

And correct, there is no definition of "competant".

depends where you look. Note the date.
http://mrstaraplumbing.com/2013/05/2...n-my-own-home/

DIY gas work is illegal in the UK (with a very few exceptions) and anyone working on a gas pipe or a gas appliance (such as a boiler or fire) MUST be on the Gas Safe Register (with a few exceptions - I'll get on to those).

The law says anyone doing gas work and being paid for it (self employed or as an employee) must be approved - i.e. on the Gas Safe Register (GSR).

You do not have to be GSR to do gas work if you are not being paid e.g. in your own home (on a DIY basis though) you just need to be competent.

There are just over 100,000 people on the GSR. Of the 50,000,000 or so adults in the UK only perhaps 0.1% or less who are not on the GSR and are competent to do DIY. I think it is fair to say DIY gas work is illegal because for 99% of the population it is.

Who is Competent To Do DIY gas work?

To make it easier for you to check I am right I have copied and pasted the section here from the ACOP: {edition 4, May 2013}

57 Anyone who works on a gas fitting.... Therefore, do-it-yourself gas engineers and those performing favours for friends and relatives all need to have the required competence.
58 Competence is a combination of practical skill, training, knowledge, experience to carry out the job in hand safely, and ensuring the installation is left in a safe condition for use. Knowledge must be kept up-to-date with changes in the law, technology and safe working practice.
60 Gas work should not be undertaken except:

a) by a person who has successfully completed an industry recognised training course followed by assessment of competence. Training that leads to assessment of competence in safe gas work must be recognised by the industry's Standards Setting Authority. or
b) in the case of a previously Registered person, they have proved competence through a Certification Scheme. or
c) for those working at premises that fall outside the scope of the Regulations (see regulation 2(4) and associated guidance), by a person who has successfully completed an industry recognised training course followed by assessment of competence.
61 Training should be of a standard to enable a gas engineer to achieve competence in the safe installation, purging, commissioning, testing, servicing, maintenance, repair, disconnection, modification and dismantling, of the gas systems, fittings and appliances with which they are working. This should include an adequate knowledge of associated services, such as water and electricity, of the dangers they may give rise to and the precautions to take.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2015-05-07, John Rumm wrote:

[26 lines snipped]

Keep in mind that that being GS registered does not automatically
mean you can work on all gas appliances. There are categories of
competancy - you need to check that the fitter you are employing
has the relevant category as well. So for example, being
competent to work on a boiler would not necessarily mean
competent to install a gas hob etc.

As I discovered when the Gas Safe plumber my kitchen fitter
summoned to refit my hob backed away, saying "I'm not qualified to
work on bottled gas".

So I fitted it. Again.

Did you get it checked out safety wise, although I'm not sure if you
have to with bottled gas. If the user insrtructions tells you how to
do it you're allowed to.

Bottled gas is usually more dangerous to work with than natural gas
since its denser than air, and can pool in enclosed spaces. (hence why
any detachable connections are usually kept outside)

As to "getting it checked" - kind of pointless, since one of the
fundamental requirements of anyone claiming competency, is being able to
adequately test your own work to prove its save.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/05/2015 13:43, whisky-dave wrote:
On Friday, 8 May 2015 12:19:01 UTC+1, Tim Watts wrote:
On 08/05/15 11:40, whisky-dave wrote:

The only people who need to be members of GasSafe are people
doing gas work for hire or reward.

Where does it say that ?

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1...ulation/3/made

3.(1) to 3.(3)

There, I've cited.

If you wish to contest, please do me the same courtesy.

That is linking to it. 3.--(1) No person shall carry out any work in
relation to a gas fitting or gas storage vessel unless he is
competent to do so. As I said and asked "he" means a women can not do
the job, and there's no indication of how a person is deemed to be
"competent to do so".

In uk legislation if it does not call out and define a term earlier in
the document, then its assumed to have the normal English meaning. The
courts can if required pass a ruling on the interpretation should it be
necessary. That can then establish "case law" which will can attach
additional nuance to the meaning (unless overturned by a higher court).

How would an employer know whether an individual can do the specific
task ?

Typically by inspecting their exam passes, or by training them to an
adequate level. This is the approach that gas safe would take - they
would want to see relevant exam passes, and see examples of work carried
out (under supervision) to an adequate standard.

And this individual refered to as a person, it mentions
nothing about whether you pay them or whether they are your a brother
or uncle or friend.

Indeed. The requirement for competency applies to any and all people
working on gas regardless of who they are or who they are working for.

[...]

Again, unless explicitly defined, it has the normal English usage. In
the above section its very clearly used in the traditional context of
employee / employer. Also note that "work" *is* called out and defined
in the preface, to mean:

'“work” in relation to a gas fitting includes any of the following
activities carried out by any person, whether an employee or not'

If what you say is true then why would there be any legislation on
this you can just say, anyone that thinks they can do the work is
allowed to do so.

"Claiming" competence alone does not meet the requirement, you must also
actually *be* competent.

Say for example you have a fully trained and qualified fitter, who works
for a gas safe registered firm fitting brand "x" boilers day in and out.
He then goes home and fits his own brand "x" boiler. Since in this case
he is not working through his employer he would not be covered by their
GS registration. However it would be absurd to claim that he is not
competent and hence working illegally.

Take the counter position. A registered fitter who behaves negligently
(through carelessness or ignorance), and as a result of their work an
accident occurs. It would be equally absurd to claim they can't be
prosecuted because they are members of gas safe even though they were
clearly not competent.

Or anytone can do gas work provided they don;t
charge you fro doing it and you don't reward them in any other way.

If they are are competent.

This would enable charities to take on such work.

A charity is not an individual - i.e. they would need to employ an
individual fitter or firm of them - hence GS registration and competency
are requirements.

The reality of much of this is a moot point anyway. The vast majority of
people will be unaware of the nuances of wording in the legislation
anyway, and hence simply make the assumption they are not allowed to
work on gas. (needless to say CORGI/GS will be in no hurry to change
this assumption). Also GS are likely to be *correct* as well, since
there are only really two groups of people who are likely to actually be
competent - ex professional fitters (who will know the true legal score
anyway), and a very small handful of skilled amateurs, who have spent
enough time learning reading the relevant legislation, British
standards, textbooks etc and also have the required practical skills and
equipment.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
"gareth" wrote in message
"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
OK Trace .....

Just curious as to why you have popped up in here?

much nicer class of people and am getting opinions on things that have
annoyed me for years and didn't seem to have any answer ......however they
still don't as everybody has different opinions .....

Yes, it is indeed pleasant to be able place a query without the rather silly
and infantile
anti-social sneering coming back that schoolcholdren could do it :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"gareth" wrote in message
"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
"gareth" wrote in message
"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
OK Trace .....
Just curious as to why you have popped up in here?

much nicer class of people and am getting opinions on things that have
annoyed me for years and didn't seem to have any answer ......however
they still don't as everybody has different opinions .....

Yes, it is indeed pleasant to be able place a query without the rather
silly and infantile
anti-social sneering coming back that schoolcholdren could do it :-)

very true ...very true .....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/05/2015 15:01, whisky-dave wrote:
On Friday, 8 May 2015 14:33:49 UTC+1, Tim Watts wrote:
On 08/05/15 13:43, whisky-dave wrote:

That is linking to it.
3.--(1) No person shall carry out any work in relation to a gas fitting or gas storage vessel unless he is competent to do so.
As I said and asked "he" means a women can not do the job, and there's no indication of how a person is deemed to be "competent to do so".

That's just standard phrasing - it does not preclude women.

And correct, there is no definition of "competant".

depends where you look. Note the date.
http://mrstaraplumbing.com/2013/05/2...n-my-own-home/

You've hit the nail on the head. That is one version of a body saying
someone is competent. There are others. Furthermore, HSE only covers
workplaces, and even then with more than one employee.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Clive
George writes
whisky-dave wrote:
There's no such thing as a compentent DIYer any more according to the
law applied to working on gas. You MUST be qualified in that area of gas
you're working on, AND (Note the AND it's not an OR function) gas safe
registared. So unless you're gas safe registered and qualified in that
area then you can't DIY gas.

With respect, ********. *If* you are competent you can legally work on
your own gas supply. Regardless of what some of the trade bodies try to
tell you.

Thank you for backing me up.

I thought everyone on the group knew the score...

I remember going through this a few months ago with whisky-dave. He
doesn't understand.

Oh, I'm sure he does, I think he just is deliberately argumentative -
going on his behaviour on other threads, where he will just go on and on
and on.

--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/05/15 19:19, Chris French wrote:
In message , Clive
George writes
whisky-dave wrote:
[...]

No - I give him credit - he raises a good point WRT to the HSE document
which I did have a quick flick through. I think that merits further reading.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Friday, 8 May 2015 13:50:54 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Friday, 8 May 2015 12:11:04 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Thursday, 7 May 2015 16:55:15 UTC+1, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Thursday, 7 May 2015 16:25:49 UTC+1, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Thursday, 7 May 2015 16:12:55 UTC+1, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Thursday, 7 May 2015 14:34:34 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:
In article
,
Martin Bonner wrote:
[...]

Who noticed them,

Whoever checked the database, Tracy.

they must have been pretty good to have noticed them over the phone.

See above.

They told me it was an administration error.

They lied.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"gareth" wrote in message
"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
"gareth" wrote in message
"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
OK Trace .....
Just curious as to why you have popped up in here?

much nicer class of people and am getting opinions on things that have
annoyed me for years and didn't seem to have any answer ......however
they still don't as everybody has different opinions .....

Yes, it is indeed pleasant to be able place a query without the rather
silly and infantile
anti-social sneering coming back that schoolcholdren could do it :-)

PS. But watch out, for a number of crocodiles from the ura swamp are
lurking.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

PS. But watch out, for a number of crocodiles from the ura swamp are
lurking.

OK .....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ at the Holiday Hacienda ..."
wrote in message ...

PS. But watch out, for a number of crocodiles from the ura swamp are
lurking.

OK .....

Well, not sure when it was, mebbe about a month ago, but I completely
unsubscribed from the group after I exposed the duplicity and hypocrisy
of Tomlinson.

I must say, that after 21 years of participation in ura, endeavouring at all
times to maintain the standards of decency and technical competence, that
suddenly I have so much time on my hands to actually get things done.
(As one of them might sneer, condensing the vapour? :-) )

I just wonder ( but not enough to want to peek in there again) how long
the children continued with their obsessive sneers about me, "Bean",
"K", "Heat Bands", etc, before they realised that I had gone and that their
infantile jibes reflected solely on them.

There does seem to be a number of former contributors to ura in this d-i-y
NG,
and I wonder how many of them count as _REAL_ radio amateurs, that is,
having
had the right moral fibre to pursue the 12WPM Morse test to get onto HF even
if they
never intended to use Morse again, or whether thay are ne'er-do-wells who
are now
on HF?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I just wonder ( but not enough to want to peek in there again) how long
the children continued with their obsessive sneers about me, "Bean",
"K", "Heat Bands", etc, before they realised that I had gone and that
their
infantile jibes reflected solely on them.

and a 1/4 mile on CB ...tee hee

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

And the politicos tell us that they will put more money into the to NHS
to "improve" it;!.

How;?...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ in the trailer park ..." wrote
in message ...

I just wonder ( but not enough to want to peek in there again) how long
the children continued with their obsessive sneers about me, "Bean",
"K", "Heat Bands", etc, before they realised that I had gone and that
their
infantile jibes reflected solely on them.

and a 1/4 mile on CB ...tee hee

Well, that was the height of childishness, and a good example of being
stalked onto
other NG.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"gareth" wrote in message
"Jim GM4DHJ in the trailer park ..." wrote
in message ...

I just wonder ( but not enough to want to peek in there again) how long
the children continued with their obsessive sneers about me, "Bean",
"K", "Heat Bands", etc, before they realised that I had gone and that
their
infantile jibes reflected solely on them.

and a 1/4 mile on CB ...tee hee

Well, that was the height of childishness, and a good example of being
stalked onto
other NG.

....then he denies the dig was meant for you...sad

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message ...
I just wonder ( but not enough to want to peek in there again) how
long
the children continued with their obsessive sneers about me, "Bean",
"K", "Heat Bands", etc, before they realised that I had gone and that
their
infantile jibes reflected solely on them.
and a 1/4 mile on CB ...tee hee
Well, that was the height of childishness, and a good example of being
stalked onto
other NG.

...then he denies the dig was meant for you...sad

Que?

everytine he mentions 1/4 mile on CB for any reason he is getting at you....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tony sayer writes:

[...]

Any time you kick something up into the air, you can safely predict
that what comes down again will be an untidy mess.

If 'the system' raises interest rates, hundred or more likely thousands
will die (death rate spiked after 2007/2008).

If 'ths system' lowers interest rates, same result but people from a
different social group are affected most.

--
Windmill, Use t m i l l
J.R.R. Tolkien:- @ S c o t s h o m e . c o m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2015-05-07, John Rumm wrote:

[26 lines snipped]

[...]

Starnge I've seen plenty of heaters for indoors that use bottled gas.

As to "getting it checked" - kind of pointless, since one of the
fundamental requirements of anyone claiming competency, is being able to
adequately test your own work to prove its save.

claiming competency isn't that the main point. Most people could drive days weeks or even months before they could pass their driving test.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 8 May 2015 17:48:58 UTC+1, gareth wrote:
"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
"gareth" wrote in message
"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
OK Trace .....
Just curious as to why you have popped up in here?

much nicer class of people and am getting opinions on things that have
annoyed me for years and didn't seem to have any answer ......however they
still don't as everybody has different opinions .....

Yes, it is indeed pleasant to be able place a query without the rather silly
and infantile
anti-social sneering coming back that schoolcholdren could do it :-)

Yep well it wasnt me claiming that school children could do it.
Although obviously they could if trained, same as anyone else.

But I don;t think yuo're allowed to get yuor kid or anyone esle to do DIY gas work just because yuo refuse to pay them. Because legally it's not classed as work.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
whisky-dave writes
On 2015-05-07, John Rumm wrote:

[26 lines snipped]

[...]

That doesn't mean what John wrote about bottled gas is incorrect.

for permanent connections (house, mobile homes etc.) the gas bottles are
outside along with their connections, obviously mobile heaters that
can't be the case.
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 11 May 2015 14:00:02 UTC+1, Chris French wrote:
In message ,
whisky-dave writes
On 2015-05-07, John Rumm wrote:

[26 lines snipped]

[...]

But it is.
For all GAS you are allowed to do anyhting it says regarding conecting
if it is in the user manual as being able to do it.
Which is why peole can fill their own cigarette lighters, and be able to connect their callor gas in the caravan. My last gas cooker was a baynot mount so I could disconect that myself. But I have since had to get a gas safe worker in the disconnect the pipe sticking out of the floor, I think he called it capping off. Are yuo asyiong I would be allowed to do that myself as a DIY projects.