Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Diy gas .....

http://www.photobox.co.uk/my/album?album_id=3393905937

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ wrote:

http://www.photobox.co.uk/my/album?album_id=3393905937

Professional gas ...
http://www.hse.gov.uk/press/2013/rnn-nw-paul-kay.htm

Your point?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Jim GM4DHJ wrote:

http://www.photobox.co.uk/my/album?album_id=3393905937

Professional gas ...
http://www.hse.gov.uk/press/2013/rnn-nw-paul-kay.htm

Your point?

Don't get Fred the joiner to re-model your kitchen ......H&SE got Fred as
well .....feeling guilty?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/05/15 14:36, Andy Burns wrote:
Jim GM4DHJ wrote:

http://www.photobox.co.uk/my/album?album_id=3393905937

Professional gas ...
http://www.hse.gov.uk/press/2013/rnn-nw-paul-kay.htm

Your point?

The professional did a far more complete job?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/05/2015 14:28, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
http://www.photobox.co.uk/my/album?album_id=3393905937

Yebbut it's not because it was DIY that this happened - it was because
it was done badly.

Maybe the subject should've been "Bad gas...." :-/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ wrote:

http://www.photobox.co.uk/my/album?album_id=3393905937

Professional gas ...
http://www.hse.gov.uk/press/2013/rnn-nw-paul-kay.htm

Your point?

The professional did a far more complete job?

he certainly did tee hee !

sorry it was Alex the joiner ....

http://www.hse.gov.uk/press/2012/rnn-sco-00612.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/05/2015 14:28, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
http://www.photobox.co.uk/my/album?album_id=3393905937

I get:

You cannot access this album

This album is no longer shared with you.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ wrote:

http://www.photobox.co.uk/my/album?album_id=3393905937

Professional gas ...
http://www.hse.gov.uk/press/2013/rnn-nw-paul-kay.htm

Your point?

The professional did a far more complete job?

he certainly did tee hee !

sorry it was Alex the joiner ....

http://www.hse.gov.uk/press/2012/rnn-sco-00612.htm

Nice to see "It is illegal to carry out domestic gas works for gain or
reward without registration" quoted correctly for once...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 06/05/2015 14:28, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
http://www.photobox.co.uk/my/album?album_id=3393905937

"You cannot access this album"

Cheers,

John.

well I gave the address so I had to ditch the photo's ....sorry

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote

http://www.photobox.co.uk/my/album?album_id=3393905937

'You cannot access this album'

Must have gone bang or sumfin.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
http://www.photobox.co.uk/my/album?album_id=3393905937

just love these URLs that tell me I don't have permission to open
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ wrote:

http://www.photobox.co.uk/my/album?album_id=3393905937

Professional gas ...
http://www.hse.gov.uk/press/2013/rnn-nw-paul-kay.htm

Your point?

The professional did a far more complete job?

he certainly did tee hee !

sorry it was Alex the joiner ....

http://www.hse.gov.uk/press/2012/rnn-sco-00612.htm

Nice to see "It is illegal to carry out domestic gas works for gain or
reward without registration" quoted correctly for once...

You'd expect the HSE to know what they are doing ?
Hope is your best bet.
Why do they think that someone doing your gas without being paid or doing a job as a favour or gettign your kids to do it for you is a good idea.
It seems you only need to be registared if you're going to get something for doing it, which leaves such a thing open for abuse.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 7 May 2015 12:03:32 UTC+1, whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 6 May 2015 18:34:51 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
Nice to see "It is illegal to carry out domestic gas works for gain or
reward without registration" quoted correctly for once...

You'd expect the HSE to know what they are doing ?

In general, yes. In this particular case, they are accurately quoting the
law.

Hope is your best bet.
Why do they think that someone doing your gas without being paid
or doing a job as a favour or getting your kids to do it for you
is a good idea.

They don't! I think they have brought prosecutions where the favour
is quite specific (in exchange for the other guy doing some carpentry
for example).

It seems you only need to be registared if you're going to get
something for doing it,

Yup.

which leaves such a thing open for abuse.

The law _also_ requires that the person doing the work is competent
(and that is the work the law uses). If there is an explosion, the
HSE have a good case that the fitter wasn't competent.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ wrote:

http://www.photobox.co.uk/my/album?album_id=3393905937

Professional gas ...
http://www.hse.gov.uk/press/2013/rnn-nw-paul-kay.htm

Your point?

The professional did a far more complete job?

he certainly did tee hee !

sorry it was Alex the joiner ....

http://www.hse.gov.uk/press/2012/rnn-sco-00612.htm

Nice to see "It is illegal to carry out domestic gas works for gain or
reward without registration" quoted correctly for once...

You'd expect the HSE to know what they are doing ?
Hope is your best bet.
Why do they think that someone doing your gas without being paid or doing a job as a favour or gettign your kids to do it for you is a good idea.
It seems you only need to be registared if you're going to get something for doing it, which leaves such a thing open for abuse.

Not really. Because one is also legally required to be competent to work
on gas.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 7 May 2015 12:11:11 UTC+1, Martin Bonner wrote:
On Thursday, 7 May 2015 12:03:32 UTC+1, whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 6 May 2015 18:34:51 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
Nice to see "It is illegal to carry out domestic gas works for gain or
reward without registration" quoted correctly for once...

You'd expect the HSE to know what they are doing ?

In general, yes. In this particular case, they are accurately quoting the
law.

Are they I'm not so sure.

It is illegal to carry out domestic gas works for gain or
reward without registration" quoted correctly for once...

Not sure where rthe above comes from but

is quite different from.

http://www.gassafecharity.org.uk/abo...afety-law.aspx

In the UK, we have a gas safety law that aims to protect us from unsafe gas work. It requires anyone carrying out gas work in our homes or at work to be qualified and registered to do it.

there's no requirement that the person doing it needs to be making any profit from it.
reguarding DIY gas

Never attempt to work on gas appliances yourself. And don't let anyone else who isn't qualified and Gas Safe registered do it either. It won't save you money but it could cost you your life.

Notice in both cases it's both qualified AND Gas Safe registered just being one or the other isn't good enough.

Hope is your best bet.
Why do they think that someone doing your gas without being paid
or doing a job as a favour or getting your kids to do it for you
is a good idea.

They don't! I think they have brought prosecutions where the favour
is quite specific (in exchange for the other guy doing some carpentry
for example).

It seems you only need to be registared if you're going to get
something for doing it,

Yup.

which leaves such a thing open for abuse.

The law _also_ requires that the person doing the work is competent
(and that is the work the law uses).

I think that changed ,as this time last year I was asking about such things and rang them up (gas safe) and asked, and had a 'go' at them about the wording and discrimination. Since then they have changed the rules (I'm not saying because of me but maybe someone else noticed) I also pointed out that they didn't allow women to work on gas as on thier site they used the term "HE must be compedent" I asked the women on the phone if that meant women couldn't do the job and she didn;t really know what to say.

If there is an explosion, the
HSE have a good case that the fitter wasn't competent.

And what if the fitter was compentent last year....... or last week.
What if there's no explosion and just CO poisening....
I'd hope the HSE would have a good case too, even if 'he' was fully competent.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Martin Bonner wrote:
The law _also_ requires that the person doing the work is competent
(and that is the work the law uses). If there is an explosion, the
HSE have a good case that the fitter wasn't competent.

Which is just as likely to happen with a pro fitter as a competent DIYer.
Perhaps even more so as only an idiot would not do things correctly on
their own house gas supply. But it's a different matter with some pros as
it's impossible to be 100% sure they are competent. Or take care.

--
*The hardness of the butter is proportional to the softness of the bread *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:

In the UK, we have a gas safety law that aims to protect us from unsafe
gas work. It requires anyone carrying out gas work in our homes or at
work to be qualified and registered to do it.

As a matter of interest, how would you know anyone you'd employed was
actually qualified and registered?

I'd say actually checking 100% would be very difficult.

--
*I don't have a solution, but I admire your problem. *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/05/2015 14:24, whisky-dave wrote:

They have also pretty much removed the word compendent as a description,
as it means little in the context it was used.

"They" (gassafe - quango - no capability to legislate or change the law)
can say what they like. The legislation is what defines the law as it
stands, and I am not aware of that having changed.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1.../contents/made

(section 3 is the relevant bit)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Which is just as likely to happen with a pro fitter as a competent DIYer.
Perhaps even more so as only an idiot would not do things correctly on
their own house gas supply. But it's a different matter with some pros as
it's impossible to be 100% sure they are competent. Or take care.

better with a enthusiastic amateur rather than a bored professional ? ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 7 May 2015 14:34:34 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Martin Bonner wrote:
The law _also_ requires that the person doing the work is competent
(and that is the work the law uses). If there is an explosion, the
HSE have a good case that the fitter wasn't competent.

Which is just as likely to happen with a pro fitter as a competent DIYer.

There's no such thing as a compentent DIYer any more according to the law
applied to working on gas.
You MUST be qualified in that area of gas you're working on, AND (Note the AND it's not an OR function) gas safe registared.
So unless you're gas safe registered and qualified in that area then you can't DIY gas.

Perhaps even more so as only an idiot would not do things correctly on
their own house gas supply.

Thinking you are compendent and being so are two differnt things.

But it's a different matter with some pros as
it's impossible to be 100% sure they are competent. Or take care.

but thats NOT the law is it.
If you employ someone that is qualified and gas safe to do they work
and they **** it up you won;t be held to blame, whereas if you get someone in
and they aren't then you could be held to blame as well as the fitter if something goes wrong.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 7 May 2015 14:57:09 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:

In the UK, we have a gas safety law that aims to protect us from unsafe
gas work. It requires anyone carrying out gas work in our homes or at
work to be qualified and registered to do it.

As a matter of interest, how would you know anyone you'd employed was
actually qualified and registered?

well there's the gas safe registar site where they advise you to go.
Therer they list the type of work the fitter does.

http://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/
where it says find a gas safe .....
and another where you can enter the ID of the fitter.

I'd say actually checking 100% would be very difficult.

100% maybe but good enough to employ isn't that difficult.
If it were people wouldn't do it would they and the idea of gas safe wou;ld be useless.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Bonner wrote:
[...]

but who is to know ? ........

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Bonner wrote:
The law _also_ requires that the person doing the work is competent
(and that is the work the law uses). If there is an explosion, the
HSE have a good case that the fitter wasn't competent.

Which is just as likely to happen with a pro fitter as a competent DIYer.

There's no such thing as a compentent DIYer any more according to the law
applied to working on gas.
You MUST be qualified in that area of gas you're working on, AND (Note the AND it's not an OR function) gas safe registared.
So unless you're gas safe registered and qualified in that area then you can't DIY gas.

I think you're completely wrong on that point.

Can you cite the specific part of the statue you think has changed this?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 7 May 2015 15:58:14 UTC+1, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Which is just as likely to happen with a pro fitter as a competent DIYer.
Perhaps even more so as only an idiot would not do things correctly on
their own house gas supply. But it's a different matter with some pros as
it's impossible to be 100% sure they are competent. Or take care.

better with a enthusiastic amateur rather than a bored professional ? ...

Nope.
Not if you want to stay within the law.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Bonner wrote:
[...]

Er that's why you have qualifications and the like.
How do you pick a doctor or car mechanic.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Bonner wrote:
The law _also_ requires that the person doing the work is competent
(and that is the work the law uses). If there is an explosion, the
HSE have a good case that the fitter wasn't competent.

Which is just as likely to happen with a pro fitter as a competent DIYer.

There's no such thing as a compentent DIYer any more according to the law
applied to working on gas.
You MUST be qualified in that area of gas you're working on, AND (Note the AND it's not an OR function) gas safe registared.
So unless you're gas safe registered and qualified in that area then you can't DIY gas.

I think you're completely wrong on that point.

And I think you are completely wrong.

Can you cite the specific part of the statue you think has changed this?

changed what exactly the law hasn't changed as such what has change was how a person is seen to be able to do the job.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Bonner wrote:
[...]

Doctors are not picked in my experience and I don't use car mechanics I diy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Bonner wrote:
[...]

What do you mean doctors aren't picked. You can choose a doctor.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Bonner wrote:
[...]

only fussy people that think they know better do that .....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Bonner wrote:
The law _also_ requires that the person doing the work is competent
(and that is the work the law uses). If there is an explosion, the
HSE have a good case that the fitter wasn't competent.

Which is just as likely to happen with a pro fitter as a competent DIYer.

There's no such thing as a compentent DIYer any more according to the law
applied to working on gas.
You MUST be qualified in that area of gas you're working on, AND (Note the AND it's not an OR function) gas safe registared.
So unless you're gas safe registered and qualified in that area then you can't DIY gas.

I think you're completely wrong on that point.

And I think you are completely wrong.

Can you cite the specific part of the statue you think has changed this?

changed what exactly the law hasn't changed as such what has change was how a person is seen to be able to do the job.

In which case YOU are wrong.

The only people who need to be members of GasSafe are people doing gas
work for hire or reward.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/05/15 16:17, whisky-dave wrote:
On Thursday, 7 May 2015 15:58:14 UTC+1, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Which is just as likely to happen with a pro fitter as a competent DIYer.
Perhaps even more so as only an idiot would not do things correctly on
their own house gas supply. But it's a different matter with some pros as
it's impossible to be 100% sure they are competent. Or take care.

better with a enthusiastic amateur rather than a bored professional ? ...

Nope.
Not if you want to stay within the law.

Nonsense and quite incorrect.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
As a matter of interest, how would you know anyone you'd employed was
actually qualified and registered?

well there's the gas safe registar site where they advise you to go.
Therer they list the type of work the fitter does.

http://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/
where it says find a gas safe .....
and another where you can enter the ID of the fitter.

All too easy to fiddle, I'd say.

I'd say actually checking 100% would be very difficult.

100% maybe but good enough to employ isn't that difficult. If it were
people wouldn't do it would they and the idea of gas safe wou;ld be
useless.

Many of the serious gas problems are caused by cowboys. Not DIY. And
cowboys can obviously con people into thinking they know what they're
doing. Then move on to another mug.

--
*Geeks shall inherit the earth *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
There's no such thing as a compentent DIYer any more according to the
law applied to working on gas. You MUST be qualified in that area of gas
you're working on, AND (Note the AND it's not an OR function) gas safe
registared. So unless you're gas safe registered and qualified in that
area then you can't DIY gas.

With respect, ********. *If* you are competent you can legally work on
your own gas supply. Regardless of what some of the trade bodies try to
tell you.

--
*Funny, I don't remember being absent minded.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
There's no such thing as a compentent DIYer any more according to the
law applied to working on gas. You MUST be qualified in that area of gas
you're working on, AND (Note the AND it's not an OR function) gas safe
registared. So unless you're gas safe registered and qualified in that
area then you can't DIY gas.

With respect, ********. *If* you are competent you can legally work on
your own gas supply. Regardless of what some of the trade bodies try to
tell you.

Thank you for backing me up.

I thought everyone on the group knew the score...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
There's no such thing as a compentent DIYer any more according to the
law applied to working on gas. You MUST be qualified in that area of gas
you're working on, AND (Note the AND it's not an OR function) gas safe
registared. So unless you're gas safe registered and qualified in that
area then you can't DIY gas.

With respect, ********. *If* you are competent you can legally work on
your own gas supply. Regardless of what some of the trade bodies try to
tell you.

Thank you for backing me up.

I thought everyone on the group knew the score...

Same here.

Best story I heard was a neighbour being told (some time ago) only a corgi
registered fitter could change her cooker. And it's electric...

--
*The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
There's no such thing as a compentent DIYer any more according to the
law applied to working on gas. You MUST be qualified in that area of gas
you're working on, AND (Note the AND it's not an OR function) gas safe
registared. So unless you're gas safe registered and qualified in that
area then you can't DIY gas.

With respect, ********. *If* you are competent you can legally work on
your own gas supply. Regardless of what some of the trade bodies try to
tell you.

Thank you for backing me up.

I thought everyone on the group knew the score...

Same here.

Best story I heard was a neighbour being told (some time ago) only a corgi
registered fitter could change her cooker. And it's electric...

I've seen a GasSafe fitter take out a gas hob and want to leave the flex
outlet off the wall with exposed live terminals because "well it's
behind the oven".

Knob.

He got instructed there and then on exactly how he would be leaving it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/05/2015 18:27, Tim Watts wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
There's no such thing as a compentent DIYer any more according to the
law applied to working on gas. You MUST be qualified in that area of gas
you're working on, AND (Note the AND it's not an OR function) gas safe
registared. So unless you're gas safe registered and qualified in that
area then you can't DIY gas.

With respect, ********. *If* you are competent you can legally work on
your own gas supply. Regardless of what some of the trade bodies try to
tell you.

Thank you for backing me up.

I thought everyone on the group knew the score...

I remember going through this a few months ago with whisky-dave. He
doesn't understand.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:

In the UK, we have a gas safety law that aims to protect us from unsafe
gas work. It requires anyone carrying out gas work in our homes or at
work to be qualified and registered to do it.

As a matter of interest, how would you know anyone you'd employed was
actually qualified and registered?

well there's the gas safe registar site where they advise you to go.
Therer they list the type of work the fitter does.

http://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/
where it says find a gas safe .....
and another where you can enter the ID of the fitter.

I'd say actually checking 100% would be very difficult.

100% maybe but good enough to employ isn't that difficult.
If it were people wouldn't do it would they and the idea of gas safe wou;ld be useless.

Keep in mind that that being GS registered does not automatically mean
you can work on all gas appliances. There are categories of competancy -
you need to check that the fitter you are employing has the relevant
category as well. So for example, being competent to work on a boiler
would not necessarily mean competent to install a gas hob etc.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Bonner wrote:
The law _also_ requires that the person doing the work is competent
(and that is the work the law uses). If there is an explosion, the
HSE have a good case that the fitter wasn't competent.

Which is just as likely to happen with a pro fitter as a competent DIYer.

There's no such thing as a compentent DIYer any more according to the law
applied to working on gas.

Please cite the primary legislation.

--
Cheers,