Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OTish; Laptops

Time has come to replace the tower PC with a laptop, so I'm after some
advice from the learned people here, since I'm a computer numpty.

I'm looking for something around 16". I don't play games (only
solitaire) I don't watch films or download music. Don't want a
touchscreen, much prefer keyboard/mouse.

I use Word & Excel frequently, sometime quite big documents. I surf the
net often & use e-mail a lot. We have 4G WiFi at home, probably won't
ever take it out, but will use upstairs in the office, on the deck &
downstairs in the lounge.

Reluctant to change from MS Windows simply because I know how to use it.

Any advice on processor type, memory, make, supplier much appreciated.

Finally decided on this;

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/laptop...28808-pdt.html

Yuk! A *Celeron* processor!?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/05/15 09:25, Bod wrote:
Time has come to replace the tower PC with a laptop, so I'm after some
advice from the learned people here, since I'm a computer numpty.

I'm looking for something around 16". I don't play games (only
solitaire) I don't watch films or download music. Don't want a
touchscreen, much prefer keyboard/mouse.

I use Word & Excel frequently, sometime quite big documents. I surf the
net often & use e-mail a lot. We have 4G WiFi at home, probably won't
ever take it out, but will use upstairs in the office, on the deck &
downstairs in the lounge.

Reluctant to change from MS Windows simply because I know how to use it.

Any advice on processor type, memory, make, supplier much appreciated.

Finally decided on this;

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/laptop...28808-pdt.html

Yuk! A *Celeron* processor!?

Celeron now != Celeron 10 years ago...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/05/2015 20:40, John Rumm wrote:
On 08/05/2015 13:19, Martin Brown wrote:
On 08/05/2015 11:19, John Rumm wrote:

Or in the case of TP too closely integrated with a particular version of
Explorer. ISTR that TP5 will run OK on Win7 x64 with a bit of fiddling
but that the later TP6 will not due to its "improvements".

I abandoned TP in favour of TB on moving to Win7 x64.

There were some really bad apps that didn't work as they asked how much
disk/ram was there and thought the answer was negative once they got
big
enough.

They are not bad apps, they just use a deprecated API call to get the
information. Alas the API designers did not have the foresight to
allocate large enough return parameters.

Not the first time it has happened either.

It also highlights why Charles Simonyi's insistence on using Hungarian
Notation[1] for all the formal parameter names in the Win16 API was a
daft idea - win32 is still lumbered with LParam and WParam where the W
version is 32 bit, and even the Win64 API has them and they are both 64
bit!

[1] Never a good system IMHO, and only plausibly justified in the days
of K&R style C compilers with untyped formal function parameters and lax
type checking.

Couldn't agree more. I had some terrible times interfacing strongly
typed Modula2 and Pascal related languages to OS/2 PM and Win95 APIs.

The world might have been a much better place if the early CPU address
space had been too big to fit into an integer so that C could not use
integers and pointers quite so interchangeably.

We still live with the results with rampant buffer overrun attacks and
other tricks that rely on cryptic micromanaged insecure but fast coding.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/05/2015 10:03, Tim Watts wrote:
On 11/05/15 09:25, Bod wrote:
[...]

If he'd had looked at CCL computers like I recommended, for the same
price he could've got this one:
HP 250 G3 15.6" 4GB 500GB Core i3 Laptop

Plus the after sales service at CCL is far superior than PC World who
are useless with after sales service.
Oh well, each to their own I suppose.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/05/15 10:23, Martin Brown wrote:
[...]

Good grief. You don't understand anything about computer hardware do you?

If you are going to use a register to contain a value that might be a
memory content or a memory address you are screwed from the start
irrespective of the length of either or both.

If you are going to allow registers that corresponding to memory
addresses to be incremented. decremented or have arbitrary offsets
addressed to them, so you can index tables, you already have te hardware
potential for malfeasance.

If you are going to use the stack to contain data as well as return
addresses, you al;ready have the potential for using data to alter
program flow.

This is all in the architecture of the hardware, not in the language.
And if you remove it from the hardware then you have a very inefficient
computer.

We still live with the results with rampant buffer overrun attacks and
other tricks that rely on cryptic micromanaged insecure but fast coding.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/05/15 09:25, Bod wrote:
[...]

But paid extra for the software, anti virus, mouse, bag etc.

Plus the after sales service at CCL is far superior than PC World who
are useless with after sales service.
Oh well, each to their own I suppose.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/05/15 09:25, Bod wrote:
[...]

If you're happy with your selection, that's all that matters. Enjoy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/05/2015 10:23, Martin Brown wrote:
The world might have been a much better place if the early CPU address
space had been too big to fit into an integer so that C could not use
integers and pointers quite so interchangeably.

s/C/poor programmers/

Some of us have always known better. (But then the Dec10 I first used
for assembler had 18-bit addresses and 36-bit integers)

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/05/15 22:02, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 11/05/2015 10:23, Martin Brown wrote:
The world might have been a much better place if the early CPU address
space had been too big to fit into an integer so that C could not use
integers and pointers quite so interchangeably.

s/C/poor programmers/

Some of us have always known better. (But then the Dec10 I first used
for assembler had 18-bit addresses and 36-bit integers)

Andy

yerrs. The world is full of people clamouring for someone else to
protect them from the consequences of their own indiscipline and idiocy
isn't it?

C is like a chainsaw. Respect it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

C is like a chainsaw. Respect it.

Its also portable, it will compile but may well do something different
portable.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/05/2015 16:34, dennis@home wrote:
Its also portable, it will compile but may well do something different
portable.

It _can_ be portable. But it takes care.

Even I tend to assume char will be 8 bits.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ronnie Wrote in message:
Time has come to replace the tower PC with a laptop, so I'm after some
advice from the learned people here, since I'm a computer numpty.

I'm looking for something around 16". I don't play games (only
solitaire) I don't watch films or download music. Don't want a
touchscreen, much prefer keyboard/mouse.

I use Word & Excel frequently, sometime quite big documents. I surf the
net often & use e-mail a lot. We have 4G WiFi at home, probably won't
ever take it out, but will use upstairs in the office, on the deck &
downstairs in the lounge.

Reluctant to change from MS Windows simply because I know how to use it.

Any advice on processor type, memory, make, supplier much appreciated.

Sorry, should have said, budget around the £500 mark.

This laptop is a beast for the price. I've used this firm for years,
they are very good.
Have a peek, this one is very good value for money and within your budget.

http://www.cclonline.com/product/155...400-/NOT00530/

It doesn't have many pixels for that size IMO.

--
typing on android tablets is a pain.

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Wrote in message:
The Medway Handyman wrote :
Time has come to replace the tower PC with a laptop, so I'm after some advice
from the learned people here, since I'm a computer numpty.

I'm looking for something around 16". I don't play games (only solitaire) I
don't watch films or download music. Don't want a touchscreen, much prefer
keyboard/mouse.

I use Word & Excel frequently, sometime quite big documents. I surf the net
often & use e-mail a lot. We have 4G WiFi at home, probably won't ever take
it out, but will use upstairs in the office, on the deck & downstairs in the
lounge.

Reluctant to change from MS Windows simply because I know how to use it.

Any advice on processor type, memory, make, supplier much appreciated.

Not really much to help you except to say that Lenovo are a
well-respected brand. Also, I'm sure that you've heard many people say
over the years, "Pull the plug out, wait a minute or two and then plug
it back in and boot it up" when troubleshooting.

For that reason, I'd make sure you get one where the battery can easily
be removed. Some laptops (some Sony models I believe and maybe others)
have to be stripped down to remove the battery - if you can't
*completely* remove the power you can't completely reset it when
needed.

My lenovo has gone back for the second time under warranty. The
battery has decided to die and although its a FRU they want it
back. Hence using a tablet to do this.

--
typing on android tablets is a pain.

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Brown Wrote in message:
Time has come to replace the tower PC with a laptop, so I'm after some
advice from the learned people here, since I'm a computer numpty.

I'm looking for something around 16". I don't play games (only
solitaire) I don't watch films or download music. Don't want a
touchscreen, much prefer keyboard/mouse.

I use Word & Excel frequently, sometime quite big documents. I surf the
net often & use e-mail a lot. We have 4G WiFi at home, probably won't
ever take it out, but will use upstairs in the office, on the deck &
downstairs in the lounge.

Reluctant to change from MS Windows simply because I know how to use it.

You have left it a bit late to get a new portable with Windows 7 on it
and I reckon you should look long and very hard at Windows 8 before
contemplating using it without a touch screen (or using it at all).

Just load classic start and forget that its windows 8.
It's just better than 7 once you know how to use it.
So far 10 looks even better.

--
typing on android tablets is a pain.

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

OTish: powering multiple laptops from a single source The Night Tripper[_3_] UK diy 20 March 10th 11 07:03 PM
Laptops - Compare And Buy [email protected] Electronics Repair 0 June 19th 07 07:06 PM
Laptops? NJ Electronics Repair 4 December 23rd 04 05:26 AM
OT--slightly anyway, what gives with used laptops Charlie Self Woodworking 79 September 10th 04 04:26 PM
laptops Activeviii Electronics 3 April 13th 04 07:52 AM