Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT Energy consultants and smart meters

Is anyone else getting pestered by "energy consultants" offering to
act on one's behalf, have smart meters installed and then negotiating
a unit price while it is low now for when renewal is due next winter?
We do use a lot of electrical units in our yard (3 72kW supplies) but
how do they make their profit. I am a bit naive about smart meters
apart from knowing they communicate consumption in real time.

It reminds me of slamming with telephone providers in the past but I
wonder what the catch is?

Similarly I'm having cleaning chemical firms offering to send sample
packs out of the blue claiming we have done business in the past, when
we haven't. Again this reminds me of the old carbon copy paper scam
from the 60s.

I presume as a business even if I ask them to stop pestering me and
they continue no laws are being broken?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 26 Mar 2015 10:39:30 +0000, Bob Minchin wrote:

Is anyone else getting pestered by "energy consultants" offering

act on one's behalf, have smart meters installed and then

negotiating
a unit price while it is low now for when renewal is due next

winter?
We do use a lot of electrical units in our yard (3 72kW supplies)

Look up the recent thread in this NG regarding the pros and cons of
smart meters.

Which being about domestic smart meters might not be relevant to 3 x
300 A supplies (is that 300 A per phase 3 phase supply?).

I'd be very wary of any company cold calling but there are companies
out there that do manage electricity supplies for large, (FSVO
"large") consumers of power. Donno what they do but "realtime"
pricing from the grid based on what all their customers are using
might be part of it. This would need a "smart meter". GIYF...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
writes:
Is anyone else getting pestered by "energy consultants" offering to
act on one's behalf, have smart meters installed and then negotiating
a unit price while it is low now for when renewal is due next winter?
We do use a lot of electrical units in our yard (3 72kW supplies) but
how do they make their profit. I am a bit naive about smart meters
apart from knowing they communicate consumption in real time.

It reminds me of slamming with telephone providers in the past but I
wonder what the catch is?

Similarly I'm having cleaning chemical firms offering to send sample
packs out of the blue claiming we have done business in the past, when
we haven't. Again this reminds me of the old carbon copy paper scam
from the 60s.

I presume as a business even if I ask them to stop pestering me and
they continue no laws are being broken?

There's currently a big problem with businesses getting slammed,
and inadequate legal protection for them. It often happens following
a conversation with an "energy consultant" and the business doesn't
believe they consented to the change, which includes a long contract
at highly uncompetitve rates, and high premature termination cost.
They usually aim for small businesses, which get suckered in more
easily. Radio 4 has covered this a few times.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 26 Mar 2015 23:48:54 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

Which being about domestic smart meters might not be relevant to 3 x
300 A supplies (is that 300 A per phase 3 phase supply?).

I think it's 100 Amp per phase which if they are balanced gives 72kW
but in practice we don't get too near that as the supplies are to
several units. The reason for 3 supplies is that above 100A direct
current monitoring meters are not available and you get complications
with peak power and half hourly tariffs.

AJH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
Is anyone else getting pestered by "energy consultants" offering to
act on one's behalf, have smart meters installed and then negotiating
a unit price while it is low now for when renewal is due next winter?
We do use a lot of electrical units in our yard (3 72kW supplies) but
how do they make their profit. I am a bit naive about smart meters
apart from knowing they communicate consumption in real time.

It reminds me of slamming with telephone providers in the past but I
wonder what the catch is?

Similarly I'm having cleaning chemical firms offering to send sample
packs out of the blue claiming we have done business in the past, when
we haven't. Again this reminds me of the old carbon copy paper scam
from the 60s.

I presume as a business even if I ask them to stop pestering me and
they continue no laws are being broken?

you presume wrong

The "cold calling" laws requires companies to abide by all specific requests
not to call, irrespective of whether the requesting party is a business or
an individual.

It's only the blanket "opt out" that applies to individuals only.

Of course:

a) getting that rule enforced

b) the company suffering sufficient penalty of breaking it

will be a long wait

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 28 Mar 2015 10:09:55 +0000, wrote:

Which being about domestic smart meters might not be relevant to

3 x
300 A supplies (is that 300 A per phase 3 phase supply?).

I think it's 100 Amp per phase which if they are balanced gives 72kW

I have never been able to get my head around 3 phase and power. 100 A
per phase fully loaded and balanced (ie no neutral curent) is surely
415 * 100 = 41.5 kW per phase * 3 = 124.5 kW total?

72 kW at 240 V is 300 A, but 240 is the phase to neutral voltage, 415
being the phase to phase. Ah, light bulb moment, delta v star
wiring...

The reason for 3 supplies is that above 100A direct current monitoring
meters are not available and you get complications with peak power and
half hourly tariffs.

I vaugely remember something about a TV studio supply, if the studio
wasn't working it took naff all but working would push things to the
100 A / phase (notional) limit. Mainly because the the cameras
(Philips PC60's) wern't very sensitive, light levels high and so was
the heat, all that power going into tungsten filament lamps. The
tarrif allowed for this high peak demand without breaking the bank.

As you are on a "traditional" tariff it might be worth looking to see
what savings (if any) could be made by have a "managed" one that
deals with the peaks and half hourly stuff for you. Note this is you
spending an hour on google not giving details to a cold caller...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 28 Mar 2015 12:25:46 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

I have never been able to get my head around 3 phase and power. 100 A
per phase fully loaded and balanced (ie no neutral curent) is surely
415 * 100 = 41.5 kW per phase * 3 = 124.5 kW total?

I am no electrician but you have to consider that at max power the sum
of the currents is zero so you actually only need to know the voltage
and the current in one leg to work out the maximum power

I think this means the MCB would trip if any phase exceeded 100A even
though current between the phases could be substantially more than
this.

Smart meters newshound UK diy 265 March 17th 15 09:43 PM
Smart Meters Andrew Gabriel UK diy 10 February 13th 15 02:23 PM
Smart Meters Guv Bob Home Repair 79 February 12th 14 06:28 PM
Smart Meters Dave Liquorice[_2_] UK diy 133 May 2nd 13 10:18 PM
Smart meters jgharston UK diy 0 January 29th 10 04:10 PM