Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Smart Meters

Caught a tiny bit of a call-in on energy suppliers on the car
radio just now...

I seems there's a problem with smart meters if you want to switch
supplier - not all suppliers can use all smart meters, and you
might find that your new supplier cannot use the smart meter you
have.

This will require you to reverse the switch, or to buy a new
meter, both being options that cost you (£60 was mentioned).

Energy regulator is aware of the problem and is trying to get
the suppliers to allow a free switch back when this happens,
but suppliers don't currently to do that.

I only heard the tail-end of the section on this issue. There
might have been more to it.

--
Andrew
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 11 Feb 2015 15:51:29 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Caught a tiny bit of a call-in on energy suppliers on the car radio just
now...

I seems there's a problem with smart meters if you want to switch
supplier - not all suppliers can use all smart meters, and you might
find that your new supplier cannot use the smart meter you have.

This will require you to reverse the switch, or to buy a new meter, both
being options that cost you (£60 was mentioned).

Energy regulator is aware of the problem and is trying to get the
suppliers to allow a free switch back when this happens,
but suppliers don't currently to do that.

I only heard the tail-end of the section on this issue. There might have
been more to it.

It was on in the background here, so I can't really say what was
discussed, but if anybody wants to know more, it was MoneyBox on R4.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b051s4jx
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/02/15 15:57, Adrian wrote:
[...]

Thank you - that is worth knowing.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/02/2015 15:51, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
Caught a tiny bit of a call-in on energy suppliers on the car
radio just now...

I seems there's a problem with smart meters if you want to switch
supplier - not all suppliers can use all smart meters, and you
might find that your new supplier cannot use the smart meter you
have.

The main point was said to be that with "first generation" smart meters
it is not possible to take a simple cumulative kWh (or gas m^3) reading.
Therefore you can't take ordinary readings to send to a new supplier if
they're not set-up for smart metering.

I find that utterly amazing. Is it true though?

--
Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/02/2015 18:43, Andy Wade wrote:
On 11/02/2015 15:51, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
Caught a tiny bit of a call-in on energy suppliers on the car
radio just now...

I seems there's a problem with smart meters if you want to switch
supplier - not all suppliers can use all smart meters, and you
might find that your new supplier cannot use the smart meter you
have.

The main point was said to be that with "first generation" smart meters
it is not possible to take a simple cumulative kWh (or gas m^3) reading.
Therefore you can't take ordinary readings to send to a new supplier if
they're not set-up for smart metering.

I find that utterly amazing. Is it true though?

Not on the one I have.
You just don't need to get to the meter to get the reading, its on the
remote display.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jethro_uk" wrote in message
On Wed, 11 Feb 2015 15:51:29 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

This will require you to reverse the switch,

I believe it's "impossible" to reverse the switch, as it would allow
people to get rid of the smart meters the government is so keen for us to
have. Not dissimilar to the way water meters can't be removed one
installed.

He's talking about reversing the switch
of the supplier, not the physical meter.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Wade wrote:

The main point was said to be that with "first generation" smart meters
it is not possible to take a simple cumulative kWh (or gas m^3) reading.
Therefore you can't take ordinary readings to send to a new supplier if
they're not set-up for smart metering.

I find that utterly amazing.

I have "first gen" smart meters, I did enquire of another supplier if
they could read them if I changed supplier and they didn't seem to think
so, thankfully I'm happy with the supplier who fitted them, you can read
a cumulative reading either from each meter, or from the remote display,

Is it true though?

I'd say it's not .. you could read the meters and submit them online, or
let a meter reader bod read them (though *not* having to be "in" for
meter readers so frequently was my main reason for getting smart meters,
the gas one has been "manually" read once and the electric one not at
all since fitting them in 2011)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/02/2015 15:51, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
Caught a tiny bit of a call-in on energy suppliers on the car
radio just now...

I seems there's a problem with smart meters if you want to switch
supplier - not all suppliers can use all smart meters, and you
might find that your new supplier cannot use the smart meter you
have.

That might be a bonus as presumably they then can't switch you off
remotely or monitor your usage and presumably they could still send a
meter man to read it.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Is this not why we have British standards and a regulator? Surely its
fundamental that in a market situation all suppliers need to have a
standard meter.

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
Caught a tiny bit of a call-in on energy suppliers on the car
radio just now...

I seems there's a problem with smart meters if you want to switch
supplier - not all suppliers can use all smart meters, and you
might find that your new supplier cannot use the smart meter you
have.

This will require you to reverse the switch, or to buy a new
meter, both being options that cost you (£60 was mentioned).

Energy regulator is aware of the problem and is trying to get
the suppliers to allow a free switch back when this happens,
but suppliers don't currently to do that.

I only heard the tail-end of the section on this issue. There
might have been more to it.

--
Andrew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 11 Feb 2015 20:17:02 +0000, Andy Burns
wrote:

I have "first gen" smart meters, I did enquire of another supplier if
they could read them if I changed supplier and they didn't seem to think
so, thankfully I'm happy with the supplier who fitted them, you can read
a cumulative reading either from each meter, or from the remote display,

When Ovo changed my meters to smart meters last year they said
something about if switching to tell the new supplier what sort of
smart meters you had as the systems weren't all compatible.

Smart Meters Guv Bob Home Repair 79 February 12th 14 06:28 PM
Smart Meters Dave Liquorice[_2_] UK diy 133 May 2nd 13 10:18 PM
Smart meters: what's the catch? Mike Barnes UK diy 26 November 2nd 10 09:52 AM
OT-How to hack smart meters Azotic Metalworking 12 June 29th 10 11:31 PM
Smart meters jgharston UK diy 0 January 29th 10 04:10 PM