Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] news@sylva.icuklive.co.uk is offline

Default OT Energy consultants and smart meters

On Sat, 28 Mar 2015 12:25:46 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

I have never been able to get my head around 3 phase and power. 100 A
per phase fully loaded and balanced (ie no neutral curent) is surely
415 * 100 = 41.5 kW per phase * 3 = 124.5 kW total?

I am no electrician but you have to consider that at max power the sum
of the currents is zero so you actually only need to know the voltage
and the current in one leg to work out the maximum power

I think this means the MCB would trip if any phase exceeded 100A even
though current between the phases could be substantially more than
this.