Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Ping TMH (or rather his daughter)

On 26/02/2015 23:13, Dennis@home wrote:
On 26/02/2015 22:29, Roger Mills wrote:
On 26/02/2015 22:16, wrote:
On Thursday, 26 February 2015 22:07:02 UTC, JimK wrote:
/Also worth having ICE numbers set up in your mobile phone./q
In Car Entertainment ?

In Case of Emergency
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_case_of_emergency

Owain

Indeed. Not sure how that would work with a password-protected phone
though. When my phone goes to sleep, it can receive incoming calls or
make emergency calls - but that's all. Everything else needs a PIN to be
input to wake it up. I doubt whether the network operators would regard
ringing a number marked "ICE" as an emergency call.

Android phones will display the ICE information even if the phone is
locked. Don't put anything in there that you want to keep a secret.

In that case, would you care to explain how to do it - 'cos I haven't
succeeded in making my phone do it. I have added a contact called 'ICE'
- with associated mobile and landline numbers - but, as far as I can
see, there's no way of displaying that when the screen is locked.

If I swipe up to unlock the screen, it gives me the usual keypad to
input my PIN. At the bottom of the screen it says "Emergency Calls". If
I tap that rather than entering the PIN, it brings up an emergency
dialler keypad. That is numeric only, with no access to the contacts
list and - if I dial an ordinary number such as my landline - it rejects
it on the basis that it's not a proper emergency number (such as 112 or
999).

What am I missing?
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 27 February 2015 22:54:36 UTC, wrote:
On Friday, 27 February 2015 22:48:29 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
Good reason to have your medical condition tattooed on your forehead.
And it has to be on your forehead, they are unlikely to look at all your
tattoos to check if one of them says what your medical condition is.

Terminal stupidity if you have anything tattooed on your forehead.

Hard to tell if speedy is named for his alacrity or rigidity?

I read it in a glue sniffer accent:
goo duh rea suhn to uhn ha uhv your muh dicuhl cuh nuh dition... suh uh low ly.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
On 27/02/2015 17:59, Tim+ wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:

The info she would want on paper in the capsule;

Name
DOB
Next of kin
Allergies
Medication - she could work out your medical condition from the medication.

Really? What if it said "Prednisolone"?

Prescribed for a myriad of conditions, some more life threatening than
others. No reason really NOT to put medical condition in as well.

Just repeating what she said.....

Yeah but, drugs change their names far more frequently than most people
change their chronic medical conditions. Are they supposed to update their
medication list every time their drugs change? As I said, really no reason
not to include medical condition unless it's something that you're
sensitive about lay-people knowing about.

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 27 Feb 2015 23:13:35 +0000, Tim+ wrote:

Yeah but, drugs change their names ...

The drugs don't change name but there can be many brands of the same
drug. One of mine has five difernt brand names but they are all the
same drug

Are they supposed to update their medication list every time their drugs
change?

If the actual drug or the dose changes yes, brand is less important.
Though I've just discovered I'm "brand sensitive" when the dose is
not quite enough. This is a prolonged release medication and I
suspect the release rates are different, so the faster one produces
swings in abilty to think.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 27 Feb 2015 17:32:57 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Only just got hold of her, she's been on shifts.

Odd that for a 24/7 service...

USB devices aren't any help, they have no way of reading them on the
ambulance or FRU. The hospital could read them, but she thinks it would
probably be overlooked or lost. She has never actually come across one
in 7 years.

That's what I thought about them as well. Technology for technologies
sake, whilst failing to do the job it's supposed to do.

She thinks a tiny capsule, roughly the size of a tyre valve attached to
a bracelet or necklace is the best. Especially if the bracelet had
"medical details in capsule" engraved on it.

There are capsules or flat locket type things. I shall have a harder
look at what is avialable. They normally have the snake and sword
emblem on them.

The info she would want on paper in the capsule;

Name
DOB
Next of kin
Allergies
Medication - she could work out your medical condition from the
medication.

Useful, I probably wouldn't have put Name, DOB or NOK on the bit of
paper. Short from address is probably a good idea as NOK rarely has
her mobile on... With the drugs info that's quite a bit for a small
slip of paper. First draft is 215 characters and 6 lines. How are
medics with 6pt type?

Please pass on my thanks, there have been one or two useful ideas
come from this thread.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27 Feb 2015 16:48:39 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

MedicAlert has basic information (the most important stuff) engraved on
the bracelet with the numbers.

For Parkinsons the most important is drug(s) and dose(s). All of
which change as the disease progresses, every six months or so for
me. So engraving isn't really practical.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 27 Feb 2015 14:10:30 +0000, Nightjar.me.uk wrote:

As the wallet is of a type that attaches to my belt and tucks inside the
trouser waistband, ...

That appears to be concealed, would a medic find it? Making it easy
to find is why I'm going to go for a necklace locket/capsule of some
sort. And custom lock screen image. I'm not worried about who knows,
you can't hide a tremor all that easily. In fact I'd rather people
did know so they know the reason for the tremor...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 27 Feb 2015 17:40:24 +0000, tony sayer wrote:

WTF didn't mother check air way and remove tongue when baby
first got into difficulty. Why did she leave baby whilst it was
having a fit?

Because .. some people are better at handling such emergencies than
others Dave .. human nature;!..

But to leave a baby that is struggling to breath? Surely common sense
tells anybody to check for obstructions to the airway at the very
least?

Ah "comon sense", only common in those with sense.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 28 Feb 2015 00:54:10 +0000, Dave Liquorice wrote:

On 27 Feb 2015 16:48:39 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

MedicAlert has basic information (the most important stuff) engraved on
the bracelet with the numbers.

For Parkinsons the most important is drug(s) and dose(s). All of which
change as the disease progresses, every six months or so for me. So
engraving isn't really practical.

Fairy nuff. For me it's hypertension and allergies; for my son it's
diabetes.

wish to copy them they can pay me £30a message.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/02/2015 23:13, Tim+ wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
On 27/02/2015 17:59, Tim+ wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:

The info she would want on paper in the capsule;

Name
DOB
Next of kin
Allergies
Medication - she could work out your medical condition from the medication.

Really? What if it said "Prednisolone"?

Prescribed for a myriad of conditions, some more life threatening than
others. No reason really NOT to put medical condition in as well.

Just repeating what she said.....

Yeah but, drugs change their names far more frequently than most people
change their chronic medical conditions. Are they supposed to update their
medication list every time their drugs change? As I said, really no reason
not to include medical condition unless it's something that you're
sensitive about lay-people knowing about.

Tim

As I said, just repeating what she said. I did ask about medical
conditions, but she said medications were all she would be interested in
and that she would work things out from there.

As Chris French said "I think what TMH's daughter meant, was that in the
context of a paramedic and an emergency situation they can probably tell
from the medication the important things that matter to them, rather
than do a full diagnosis."

A paramedics job isn't to specifically treat a patient, but to stabilise
them & get them safely to the right treatment centre.

Only so much room on a small piece of paper :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
On 27/02/2015 23:13, Tim+ wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
On 27/02/2015 17:59, Tim+ wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:

[...]

Still makes a lot more sense to include the medical condition
if its going to be relevant to first responders than include all the
medications that aren't going to be relevant to first responders.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/02/2015 17:34, Nightjar "cpb"@ wrote:
On 27/02/2015 17:03, Adrian wrote:
On Fri, 27 Feb 2015 16:42:23 +0000, Nightjar "cpb"@ wrote:

Which is great, but... If you happen to be in Bristol, pick up the
phone and dial 911, then pause, there are ten thousand possible valid
phone numbers you could be dialling. Only one of them is the US
emergency number.

Bristol may not be the only city where that applies.

Do mobiles recognise local land line numbers without the dialling code?

No....

In which case, my suggestion that mobile phones should be able to divert
to the local emergency number if the user dials the number they would
use in their home country isn't affected by what happens on land lines
in Bristol.

The gsm standard states 112 is the emergency number (and uk operators
support 999). As only gsm mobiles work here any other emergency number
used by other mobile operators doesn't matter here. You either dial the
uk standard 999 or the international standard 112. There are posters on
the side of ambulances telling you what to dial in case you have missed it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/02/2015 20:13, Chris French wrote:

I have a recent model (2014) android phone running Android Kitkat 4.4.4
there is no in built Medical Info display on the lock screen that I am
aware of. Not even really sure what you are talkign about

Its a standard part of kitkat so why not ask your phone supplier where
it is? Its a button next to the emergency call button.

Maybe you have to go into contacts and add some info before it shows, I
don't recall.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/02/2015 09:49, Dennis@home wrote:
[...]

Did you miss the link I posted, where an American woman successfully
dialled 911 from a beach in Britain?

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/02/2015 12:54 am, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On 27 Feb 2015 16:48:39 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

MedicAlert has basic information (the most important stuff) engraved on
the bracelet with the numbers.

For Parkinsons the most important is drug(s) and dose(s). All of
which change as the disease progresses, every six months or so for
me. So engraving isn't really practical.

No, but they can put the name of the condition on the bracelet, and the
details held on your behalf can be regularly updated as you require.

--
Bob
Tetbury, Gloucestershire, England

She was only a whisky maker's daughter, but he loved her still.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/02/2015 00:45, Dave Liquorice wrote:
There are capsules or flat locket type things. I shall have a harder
look at what is avialable. They normally have the snake and sword
emblem on them...

That is the staff of Asclepius, not a sword.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 28 Feb 2015 11:00:32 +0000, Nightjar "cpb"@ wrote:

[...]

Yebbut she was presumably not using a UK SIM.

wish to copy them they can pay me £30a message.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

/
I find it works perfectly adequately for this group.

At the same level as would a smudge fire and a blanket to make smoke
signals, i.e. barely. /q

As I say, perfectly in keeping :-)

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dennis@home" wrote in message
web.com...
[...]

Still makes a lot of sense to add 911 as well and
that is what a lot of jurisdictions have done.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/02/2015 23:13, Tim+ wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
On 27/02/2015 17:59, Tim+ wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:

[...]

Then I wonder why a hugely experienced and highly trained paramedic
didn't think so?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/02/2015 22:55, John Rumm wrote:

The scary thing is the number of people who seem to the think that what
a diabetic needs in an emergency is insulin though...

It will cut down on the number of diabetics.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/02/2015 23:13, Tim+ wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
On 27/02/2015 17:59, Tim+ wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:

[...]

Presumably she's just another example of a not very logical thinker.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/02/2015 12:31, Bob Eager wrote:

Did you miss the link I posted, where an American woman successfully
dialled 911 from a beach in Britain?

Yebbut she was presumably not using a UK SIM.

She could have been using skype.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/02/2015 17:37, Rod Speed wrote:

Presumably she's just another example of a not very logical thinker.

She is probably correct and the reason why is fairly obvious.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dennis@home wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Presumably she's just another example of a not very logical thinker.

She is probably correct

She certainly isn't. It makes no sense at all to not name
the medical condition when that can be done with
one word like Parkinson's or diabetes even when
the medication can be stated with just one word.

and the reason why is fairly obvious.

Then you won't have any problem spelling that out.

There are plenty of examples where naming
the medications is a lot less use to a first
responder than naming the medical condition.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/02/2015 19:50, Nightjar "cpb"@ wrote:
On 27/02/2015 11:05, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 26 Feb 2015 11:54:36 +0000, Bob Henson wrote:

MedicAlert is perhaps the best service.

Bit technological, requires phone line/mobile service. Very patchy 2G
coverage around here...

Bits of paper just work and the information is just there without
having to call a number, give code, have information dictated and
written down by caller.

Small bit of paper can get lost though. I do like the lock screen
image idea.

Mine is basically a 1cm diameter waterproof steel cell with the details
held inside on written origami paper folded over about 16x. The talisman
comes with a proforma slip to fill in after that it is DIY.

You can't be sure that anything valuable won't be stolen while you are
lying helpless:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...e-forward.html

Your paranoia is telling.

I doubt if anyone is really going to steal a stainless steel talisman
bracelet off you (or a more valuable titanium one for that matter). OTOH
Your mobile smart phone is almost certainly going to walk.

I do find it odd that the advice given earlier in the thread was to list
allergies and medications rather than existing conditions but she is
probably right that knowing the unconscious patients regular medications
might be a lot more useful to a paramedic in extremis.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 28 Feb 2015 16:50:53 +0000, Dennis@home wrote:

On 27/02/2015 22:55, John Rumm wrote:

The scary thing is the number of people who seem to the think that what
a diabetic needs in an emergency is insulin though...

It will cut down on the number of diabetics.

Rather harsh.

wish to copy them they can pay me £30a message.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:

Name
DOB
Next of kin
Allergies
Medication - she could work out your medical condition from the
medication.

Useful, I probably wouldn't have put Name, DOB or NOK on the bit of
paper.

unless you haveopted out of the central database
its also worth while putting your NHS number on any written info

-
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 28 Feb 2015 11:35:08 +0000, Bob Henson wrote:

For Parkinsons the most important is drug(s) and dose(s). All of
which change as the disease progresses, every six months or so for
me. So engraving isn't really practical.

No, but they can put the name of the condition on the bracelet, and the
details held on your behalf can be regularly updated as you require.

Have you missed the bit(s) where I have mentioned that even 2G
coverage is patchy around here. The patches of no coverage being by
far the larger.

Don't know what the coverage of the (Airwave?) Ambulance Radio is
like but as AirWave almost certainly comes from the same site as the
mobile phone signals...

Landline? They don't call this area "Englands last Wilderness"
without reason. Head southish from here and once past the village a
mile away you can keep going for 10+ miles and the only signs of
human activity you'll see is long ago abandoned mine workings. No
currently used buildings, no tracks, no paths. Just open moor and
roughly 5 miles wide.

There are emergency phones at Moor House and Cow Green Reservior but
I know BT struggle to keep Moor House working, it is 15 km (9 miles)
from the exchange...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 28 Feb 2015 12:29:21 +0000, Nightjar.me.uk wrote:

There are capsules or flat locket type things. I shall have a

harder
look at what is avialable. They normally have the snake and sword
emblem on them...

That is the staff of Asclepius, not a sword.

Ascle... who? Must be a celebrity, I've rarely heard of any of them
either. B-)

TBH I've never really looked closely at the symbol before and the
vague arrangement of snakes head and staff at top looks a bit like
the grip and guard of a sword.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Martin Brown" wrote in message
[...]

I bet she's not and it makes no sense to not include that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/02/2015 23:13, Tim+ wrote:
Yeah but, drugs change their names far more frequently than most people
change their chronic medical conditions. Are they supposed to update their
medication list every time their drugs change? As I said, really no reason
not to include medical condition unless it's something that you're
sensitive about lay-people knowing about.

Chronic medical conditions change their names quite a bit over the
longer period. And are very frequently misused within medicine itself.
Further, whether a condition is primary, secondary, or even tertiary can
have a profound effect on evaluation and treatment.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/02/2015 19:13, JimK wrote:
Go on then I call.... Name some of these life threatening conditions that'll get you before you get some pred in a day or so?

Addison's disease.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

/Addison's disease. /q

Possibly if the sufferer was in crisis, but one would hopeninitial triage would spot the rather obvious symptoms anyway...

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/03/2015 01:06, Rod Speed wrote:

[...]

I wonder if the OP will take the advice of a paramedic or an Australian
idiot?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Or he could get real radical and decide that it makes sense
to include the medical condition just because it does.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/03/2015 10:37, Rod Speed wrote:

Or he could get real radical and decide that it makes sense
to include the medical condition just because it does.

OK stop bickering.
The reason the parrottmedic wants to know the drugs is to avoid
interactions if they need to administer something.
Its easy to kill someone that's already ill if you give them the wroong
drug and it makes things worse.
Having said that I don't see why listing the condition and the treatment
isn't done. The parrottmedic can choose to ignore either if they want.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 01 Mar 2015 10:52:41 +0000, Dennis@home wrote:

Or he could get real radical and decide that it makes sense
to include the medical condition just because it does.

The reason the parrottmedic wants to know the drugs is to avoid
interactions if they need to administer something.

Vital ... though I don't *think* there are any serious interactions
with mine. But in the general case there could well be.

Having said that I don't see why listing the condition and the treatment
isn't done. The parrottmedic can choose to ignore either if they want.

Quite, if you see the drugs I'm on there is a very limited range of
(related) conditions I can have. However for those that don't know
the drugs giving the condition explains the tremor. The tremor does
cause (unneccessary) concern to people and can send medics off along
the wrong track.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" parted his arse cheeks and said the following...

[...]

What does your medicalert bracelet say then rod.... 'if arse injured, treat
for brain injuries' ?