Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Re-cycling compactor

Temporarily in charge of the recycling boxes and struggling to fit 2
weeks worth of plastic containers into one box, I was reminded of an
earlier thread about getting more into a standard wheelie bin.

This got me wondering about design and marketing opportunities for a
domestic compactor/wrapper. Recyclable net wrap is already produced for
wrapping agricultural straw bales and could be made in less wide sizes.

Now if Dyson2 could devise an affordable hand/foot powered compactor
there is a one per household market:-)
--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sounds more like a project for the guy who made the wind up radio to me.

Also what about some proper matching interlocking bins that can form the
boundary fence of a property and can be filled from inside and emptied from
outside without having to detach the bin itself. this would get over the
huge issue of bins and bags strewn all over the footway and gardens after
the truck goes by.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
Temporarily in charge of the recycling boxes and struggling to fit 2 weeks
worth of plastic containers into one box, I was reminded of an earlier
thread about getting more into a standard wheelie bin.

This got me wondering about design and marketing opportunities for a
domestic compactor/wrapper. Recyclable net wrap is already produced for
wrapping agricultural straw bales and could be made in less wide sizes.

Now if Dyson2 could devise an affordable hand/foot powered compactor there
is a one per household market:-)
--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 30 Nov 2014 09:30:39 +0000, Tim Lamb wrote:

Temporarily in charge of the recycling boxes and struggling to fit 2
weeks worth of plastic containers into one box, I was reminded of an
earlier thread about getting more into a standard wheelie bin.

We don't have a problem but households vary on how much rubbish they
produce. I do stack things inside each other as much as possible and
all bottles are flattened by standing on and the caps put on at the
same time to stop them reinflating.

This got me wondering about design and marketing opportunities for a
domestic compactor/wrapper. Recyclable net wrap is already produced for
wrapping agricultural straw bales and could be made in less wide sizes.

Where does this device go, many homes don't have the space inside so
it would have to go outside. Then it needs power... Oh and it'll be
operated by the brain dead so double safety interlocks with tertiary
backup so they can't get any part of their anatomy inside when it's
compacting wrapping.

Now if Dyson2 could devise an affordable hand/foot powered compactor
there is a one per household market:-)

Many people can't be arse to rinse and crush bottles or cans before
bunging then in the recycling so they aren't going to jump up and
down on hydrualic pump for 5 mins.

It's a nice idea and may have sales in a niche market.

The gotcha will probably be the councils not wanting neatly bound
bales of mixed plastics. What does happen to all this mixed plastic
anyway?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:
Temporarily in charge of the recycling boxes and struggling to fit 2
weeks worth of plastic containers into one box, I was reminded of an
earlier thread about getting more into a standard wheelie bin.

This got me wondering about design and marketing opportunities for a
domestic compactor/wrapper. Recyclable net wrap is already produced for
wrapping agricultural straw bales and could be made in less wide sizes.

Now if Dyson2 could devise an affordable hand/foot powered compactor
there is a one per household market:-)

It was around about 50 years ago. It didn't sell enough to survive.
Can't remember the name of the company which made it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message o.uk, Dave
Liquorice writes
On Sun, 30 Nov 2014 09:30:39 +0000, Tim Lamb wrote:

Temporarily in charge of the recycling boxes and struggling to fit 2
weeks worth of plastic containers into one box, I was reminded of an
earlier thread about getting more into a standard wheelie bin.

We don't have a problem but households vary on how much rubbish they
produce. I do stack things inside each other as much as possible and
all bottles are flattened by standing on and the caps put on at the
same time to stop them reinflating.

We don't normally fill ourrecycling wheelie bin, though sometimes we do
(probably when we have been having a bit of a clear out). I squash
bottle and cans (a bit) otherwise I just lob it all in.

However, the people in the small terraced cottages next to us (no rear
access) mostly use sacks, as little space for wheelie bins, so making it
more compact might be worth it for that sort of situation?

[...]

Our recycling bin takes paper, cardboard, plastics, glass. It all goes
to a big processing plant where it is sorted. We visited one near us,
run by Amey Cespa. There is still a lot of hand sorting, but they are
getting better all the time at using sensors and automated systems to
identify things.

It then goes off to the various plastics manufacturing companies I
guess.

--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30 Nov 2014 10:52:41 GMT, Huge wrote:

The gotcha will probably be the councils not wanting neatly bound
bales of mixed plastics. What does happen to all this mixed

plastic
anyway?

Landfill/incineration, probably.

Not likely to be landfill due to the rather hefty landfill tax.
Inceration I would be suprised at and not in a CHP plant either...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 30 Nov 2014 10:35:47 +0000, Chris French wrote:

We don't normally fill ourrecycling wheelie bin,

The only wheelie bin we have is for garden waste. Wheelie bins are
just to slow for the collectors. Non-recycables are in a blue bag, a
box (2'6" x 18" squareish) for glass/metal and two tough bags (12"
square and 2'6" highish) for paper/card, plastics. If you blink
you'll miss the blue bag collection, just gets lobbed into the back
of the truck which barely stops moving. The recylables takes a bit
longer but no were near as long as three wheelie bins would take.

Our recycling bin takes paper, cardboard, plastics, glass.

No metal?

It all goes to a big processing plant where it is sorted.

And mixed in the wheelie bin?

It then goes off to the various plastics manufacturing companies I
guess.

I have a feeling that might be a bad assumption. It's information
that ought to be easy to find but isn't and what is there is a little
coy.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:

mixed in the wheelie bin?

We used to have three recycling bins for paper/card, plastic/tins, glass
as well as the rubbish bin, various items (butter tubs, yoghurt pots,
tetra paks) were not wanted for recycling.

Now we just have one recycling bin and everything (including the
previously unwanted stuff) can go in it, certainly that bin is fuller
than the rubbish bin nowadays.

I assume they separate it and sell it, but who knows ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30 Nov 2014, Tim Lamb grunted:

Temporarily in charge of the recycling boxes and struggling to fit 2
weeks worth of plastic containers into one box, I was reminded of an
earlier thread about getting more into a standard wheelie bin.

This got me wondering about design and marketing opportunities for a
domestic compactor/wrapper. Recyclable net wrap is already produced for
wrapping agricultural straw bales and could be made in less wide sizes.

I already have one. Bloody heavy thing it is too, which easily compacts
the contents of one recycling bin by about 60-70% in seconds. I call it
"The Lobster"...

....I keep a plastic stool next to the recycling bin, and use it to simply
climb inside and jump up and down a bit.

I also works brilliantly for leaves; except the compaction ratio is about
90% then - the problem is that it's very easy to get it so full that either
(a) the contents don't fall out when inverted and/or (b) the bin men take
one look and decide it's been filled with mud or something, and just leave
it. Not fun trying to take an overfilled bin of leaves down to the council
dump and emtying over the it railings into the skip...

--
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
says...

Temporarily in charge of the recycling boxes and struggling to fit 2
weeks worth of plastic containers into one box, I was reminded of an
earlier thread about getting more into a standard wheelie bin.

I've thought about this and considered various assemblies, but all far
too cumbersome for little old grannies to struggle with, so limited
commercial viability.
I have a wooden plate that I place in the top of the bin and a step
ladder. With something to hold on to, I am able to easily stomp bin
contents into submission. Household personnel have been trained to
remove tops from plastic bottles before putting in the re-cycle bin.

This got me wondering about design and marketing opportunities for a
domestic compactor/wrapper. Recyclable net wrap is already produced for
wrapping agricultural straw bales and could be made in less wide sizes.

Now if Dyson2 could devise an affordable hand/foot powered compactor
there is a one per household market:-)

Might be worthwhile putting the suggestion to them.

Being in a rural location, we tend to get a lot of flies indoors in the
summer months. I have found that the best way to deal with them is to go
around with a hoover nozzle and snatch them up when they settle. There
is a technique to doing this and it requires practise. Ideally, I
imagine a nozzle attachment could be designed to simplify this task. I
did e-mail Dyson with this suggestion and they sent me a nice reply,
saying that it would be an interesting task for their technical team.
Whether anything appears on the market, I'll wait and see(but not hold
my breath). Of course, hoovering up flies might be deemed insensitive in
the eyes of some and considered politically incorrect.

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
o.uk...
Dave Liquorice wrote:

mixed in the wheelie bin?

We used to have three recycling bins for paper/card, plastic/tins, glass
as well as the rubbish bin, various items (butter tubs, yoghurt pots,
tetra paks) were not wanted for recycling.

Now we just have one recycling bin and everything (including the
previously unwanted stuff) can go in it, certainly that bin is fuller than
the rubbish bin nowadays.

I assume they separate it and sell it, but who knows ...

A lot of it is baled up an sent to places like China.
Children sort it out by hand.
There is a big industry in West Africa breaking down electronic stuff by
hand to retrieve materials.
Children again.

http://uk.ask.com/wiki/Agbogbloshie?lang=en

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling

On Sun, 30 Nov 2014 09:30:39 -0000, Tim Lamb wrote:

Temporarily in charge of the recycling boxes and struggling to fit 2
weeks worth of plastic containers into one box, I was reminded of an
earlier thread about getting more into a standard wheelie bin.

This got me wondering about design and marketing opportunities for a
domestic compactor/wrapper. Recyclable net wrap is already produced for
wrapping agricultural straw bales and could be made in less wide sizes.

Now if Dyson2 could devise an affordable hand/foot powered compactor
there is a one per household market:-)

Damn, I misread that as "cycling compactor" and thought someone had found a way to rid our roads of cyclists.

--
"Have you been hunting bear lately?"
"No, the grass tickles."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/11/2014 11:42, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On 30 Nov 2014 10:52:41 GMT, Huge wrote:

The gotcha will probably be the councils not wanting neatly bound
bales of mixed plastics. What does happen to all this mixed

plastic
anyway?

Landfill/incineration, probably.

Not likely to be landfill due to the rather hefty landfill tax.
Inceration I would be suprised at and not in a CHP plant either...

Since a fair bit of the plastic would be endothermic it probably
wouldn't generate much heat.
The stuff that's collected around here goes through an automated sorting
plant that's capable of separating the different plastics, glass card,
paper, metals, etc. It may even separate different colours of glass.
AIUI its got a manual sort for some of the worst stuff like wire and
rope that can jam the works.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/11/2014 09:37, Brian Gaff wrote:
Sounds more like a project for the guy who made the wind up radio to me.

Also what about some proper matching interlocking bins that can form the
boundary fence of a property and can be filled from inside and emptied from
outside without having to detach the bin itself. this would get over the
huge issue of bins and bags strewn all over the footway and gardens after
the truck goes by.

One of the councils around here requires the bins to be placed on the
kerb, hinge to the road. The lorry drives up alongside the bins, picks
them up with a side loading device, then puts them back where they were
after emptying them. The operators don't even get out of the lorry.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/11/2014 09:30, Tim Lamb wrote:
Temporarily in charge of the recycling boxes and struggling to fit 2
weeks worth of plastic containers into one box, I was reminded of an
earlier thread about getting more into a standard wheelie bin.

This got me wondering about design and marketing opportunities for a
domestic compactor/wrapper...

Google threw up a number commercially available domestic waste
compactors. However, following them up, most seem to give variants of
'sorry this product has been discontinued'. This makes me think that
there is little demand for such a product.

Now if Dyson2 could devise an affordable hand/foot powered compactor
there is a one per household market:-)

Not in mine. General waste is collected weekly and recycling once a
fortnight and I rarely produce enough waste to more than half fill either.

--
Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/11/2014 12:11, Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote:

mixed in the wheelie bin?

We used to have three recycling bins for paper/card, plastic/tins, glass
as well as the rubbish bin, various items (butter tubs, yoghurt pots,
tetra paks) were not wanted for recycling.

Now we just have one recycling bin and everything (including the
previously unwanted stuff) can go in it, certainly that bin is fuller
than the rubbish bin nowadays.

Sorted recycling is more valuable, but fewer people bother to recycle
when they have to sort it, so Councils are finding that larger volumes
of unsorted recycling are actually more profitable overall.

I assume they separate it and sell it, but who knows ...

The Council usually sell it to a recycler, who may even do the pickups.
The recycler will then put it through automatic sorting machines and
sell the results.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nightjar "cpb"@" "insert my surname here wrote
Brian Gaff wrote

Sounds more like a project for the guy who made the wind up radio to me.

Also what about some proper matching interlocking bins that can form the
boundary fence of a property and can be filled from inside and emptied
from
outside without having to detach the bin itself. this would get over the
huge issue of bins and bags strewn all over the footway and gardens after
the truck goes by.

One of the councils around here requires the bins to be placed on the
kerb, hinge to the road. The lorry drives up alongside the bins, picks
them up with a side loading device, then puts them back where they were
after emptying them. The operators don't even get out of the lorry.

Yeah, that's the way its done here, but with the opening side of the bin to
the road.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nightjar "cpb"@" "insert my surname here wrote
Tim Lamb wrote

Temporarily in charge of the recycling boxes and struggling to fit 2
weeks worth of plastic containers into one box, I was reminded of an
earlier thread about getting more into a standard wheelie bin.

This got me wondering about design and marketing opportunities for a
domestic compactor/wrapper...

Google threw up a number commercially available domestic waste compactors.
However, following them up, most seem to give variants of 'sorry this
product has been discontinued'. This makes me think that there is little
demand for such a product.

Now if Dyson2 could devise an affordable hand/foot powered compactor
there is a one per household market:-)

Not in mine. General waste is collected weekly and recycling once a
fortnight

Same here.

and I rarely produce enough waste to more than half fill either.

I don't get even close to that. The general waste
bin only gets put out about once in 6-8 weeks
and the recycling even less frequently than that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Nightjar
\"cpb\"@" "insert my surname writes
On 30/11/2014 09:30, Tim Lamb wrote:
Temporarily in charge of the recycling boxes and struggling to fit 2
weeks worth of plastic containers into one box, I was reminded of an
earlier thread about getting more into a standard wheelie bin.

This got me wondering about design and marketing opportunities for a
domestic compactor/wrapper...

Google threw up a number commercially available domestic waste
compactors. However, following them up, most seem to give variants of
'sorry this product has been discontinued'. This makes me think that
there is little demand for such a product.

Our lodger buys a *whey* based food supplement and seems to get through
one pack per bin collection. Totally uncrushable by hand.

Now if Dyson2 could devise an affordable hand/foot powered compactor
there is a one per household market:-)

Not in mine. General waste is collected weekly and recycling once a
fortnight and I rarely produce enough waste to more than half fill
either.

Apparently the UK is not meeting the target for waste recycling and may
be fined by the EU. I am interested that councils elsewhere have a more
relaxed approach to *sorting*. St. Albans DC seem unable to have the
same rules for more than 12 months at a time:-(

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message o.uk, Dave
Liquorice writes
On Sun, 30 Nov 2014 10:35:47 +0000, Chris French wrote:

We don't normally fill ourrecycling wheelie bin,

The only wheelie bin we have is for garden waste. Wheelie bins are
just to slow for the collectors. Non-recycables are in a blue bag, a
box (2'6" x 18" squareish) for glass/metal and two tough bags (12"
square and 2'6" highish) for paper/card, plastics. If you blink
you'll miss the blue bag collection, just gets lobbed into the back
of the truck which barely stops moving. The recylables takes a bit
longer but no were near as long as three wheelie bins would take.

Ah, we just have one wheelie bin for recyclables (plus 1 for
non-recyclable and 1 green waste bin)

Our recycling bin takes paper, cardboard, plastics, glass.

No metal?

Oops, yup, that as well, and Tetrapak type cartons :-)

It all goes to a big processing plant where it is sorted.

And mixed in the wheelie bin?

Yep, we used to have bottle banks, but a few years ago, they included
glass in the wheelie bin collections as well.

It then goes off to the various plastics manufacturing companies I
guess.

I have a feeling that might be a bad assumption. It's information
that ought to be easy to find but isn't and what is there is a little
coy.

Well, they separate the different plastic types at our local waste
processing place. Presumably they have some market for the separated
plastics otherwise they would just bundle it all up and send it off
wherever. And for a long time they wouldn't collect type 5 and 6
plastics - polypropylene and polystyrene - plastics trays, tubs and pots
etc. - so it is worth their while it seem separating this stuff.

Even the black bin general waste doesn't go straight to landfill any
more. They have a treatment plant that separates out metals, plastics,
glass and stones from it, and then basically composts down the rest of
the waste. Not sure what happens to that then as they aren't allowed
apparently to sue it for growing food.
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/11/2014 20:17, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , "Nightjar
\"cpb\"@" "insert my surname writes

Not in mine. General waste is collected weekly and recycling once a
fortnight and I rarely produce enough waste to more than half fill
either.

Apparently the UK is not meeting the target for waste recycling and may
be fined by the EU.

I wonder how much that is due to the UK having a fairly low rate of
waste production per capita. In 2012/2103 we produced 423kg of waste per
person, compared with 611kgs per capita in Germany and 668kgs in
Denmark. Germany recycled or composted 65% of their waste, while Britain
recycled or composted 46%, but the result of that is that Germany didn't
recycle or compost 214kgs per person, while for Britain the figure was
226kgs per person. As the stated aim is to reduce the amount of waste
going to landfill, perhaps the targets should be based upon the amount
of waste per capita going there, rather than on the percentage of waste
produced that is recycled or composted.

I am interested that councils elsewhere have a more
relaxed approach to *sorting*. St. Albans DC seem unable to have the
same rules for more than 12 months at a time:-(

That sounds as though they award the recycling contract to different
companies every year.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote
Chris French wrote

We don't normally fill ourrecycling wheelie bin,

The only wheelie bin we have is for garden waste.
Wheelie bins are just to slow for the collectors.

Bull**** with the systems that have enough of a clue to
have the bins picked up and emptied into the truck with
no human involved at all other than driving the truck.

Non-recycables are in a blue bag, a box (2'6" x 18"
squareish) for glass/metal and two tough bags (12"
square and 2'6" highish) for paper/card, plastics.

Makes a lot more sense to have a single wheely bin for
all the recyclable stuff and have the whole thing picked
up and emptied into the truck by the automatic system
and have the whole lot sorted automatically by a fancy
machine back where the truck takes it to.

If you blink you'll miss the blue bag collection, just gets
lobbed into the back of the truck which barely stops moving.

Dinosaur stuff.

The recylables takes a bit longer but no were
near as long as three wheelie bins would take.

That is just plain wrong. We have separate
trucks for the type of wheelie bin.

Our recycling bin takes paper, cardboard, plastics, glass.

No metal?

It all goes to a big processing plant where it is sorted.

And mixed in the wheelie bin?

In our case, yep.

And we only have two, no separate one for garden waste.

It then goes off to the various plastics manufacturing companies I
guess.

I have a feeling that might be a bad assumption.
It's information that ought to be easy to find
but isn't and what is there is a little coy.

Not coy so much as just not of interest to most
and too complicated to explain all the different
detail of the plastics.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Good. I will not sort my recycling. That's what I pay the council
for.

Thus spake Andy Hall

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Nightjar
\"cpb\"@" "insert my surname writes
I am interested that councils elsewhere have a more
relaxed approach to *sorting*. St. Albans DC seem unable to have the
same rules for more than 12 months at a time:-(

That sounds as though they award the recycling contract to different
companies every year.

Maybe. Possibly their contractors are catching up with automated sorting
reported elsewhere.

Currently 3 different lorry collections on recycle day! Garden waste,
bottles and paper and back for tins/plastic.

As they have to turn their lorries in my yards, I'm saving that as an
argument to head off any re-valuation of the community charge:-)

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:

I also works brilliantly for leaves; except the compaction ratio is about
90% then - the problem is that it's very easy to get it so full that either
(a) the contents don't fall out when inverted and/or (b) the bin men take
one look and decide it's been filled with mud or something, and just leave
it. Not fun trying to take an overfilled bin of leaves down to the council
dump and emtying over the it railings into the skip...

My bin men did, eventually, get all the leaves out of my bin, but
it took a great deal of banging and shaking to do it.

Haven't I seen tubular metal devices that hook onto the bin to
compact in situ?

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/11/2014 20:17, Tim Lamb wrote:
Our lodger buys a *whey* based food supplement and seems to get through
one pack per bin collection. Totally uncrushable by hand.

Warm it up a bit.

Or get a Stanley knife, cut it round the middle and then fill 2 1/2's up
with smaller stuff.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well as part of their equality duty there are supposes to be designated
staff members who do get out and at addresses where its impossible for the
person to get the bins out and back does this for them.This works well for
the general waste wheelie bin but as hads been suggested, all sorts of bins
bags boxes etc are used for recycling making thejob impossible,. Yet, the
company Violia has a recycling sorting plant in Lewisham, but very few
London boroughs use it for some reason.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Nightjar "cpb"@" "insert my surname here wrote in message
news
On 30/11/2014 09:37, Brian Gaff wrote:
Sounds more like a project for the guy who made the wind up radio to me.

Also what about some proper matching interlocking bins that can form the
boundary fence of a property and can be filled from inside and emptied
from
outside without having to detach the bin itself. this would get over the
huge issue of bins and bags strewn all over the footway and gardens after
the truck goes by.

One of the councils around here requires the bins to be placed on the
kerb, hinge to the road. The lorry drives up alongside the bins, picks
them up with a side loading device, then puts them back where they were
after emptying them. The operators don't even get out of the lorry.

--
Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The reason this cannot be done here is parked cars with two wheels on the
footway which has been allowed. This means that bins are supposed to be
picked up and dropped from the property edge of our houses, well the first
bit works, but the putting back seldom does for recycling.
This is why, thus far its been impossible for me to recycle for some years.
Playing hunt the bin is not much fun.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Rod Speed" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote

The reason this cannot be done here is parked cars with two wheels on the
footway which has been allowed.

Works fine here.

This means that bins are supposed to be picked up and dropped from the
property edge of our houses, well the first bit works, but the putting
back seldom does for recycling.

Works fine for both bins here.

This is why, thus far its been impossible for me to recycle for some
years. Playing hunt the bin is not much fun.

Sure, but few of us are blind, so its no big deal for us.

And there is no reason why the wheelie bin can't
be put back where it was picked up from anyway.

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, November 30, 2014 10:45:45 PM UTC, Huge wrote:
Good. I will not sort my recycling. That's what I pay the council
for.

I've always thought sorting recycling is a job that could be done by people on offenders' work schemes.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, December 1, 2014 10:09:21 AM UTC, Brian Gaff wrote:
Playing hunt the bin is not much fun.

Perhaps you could attach one of those "key finders" to it that bleeps when you whistle at it?

Although I could find my bin by smell - I was the only person on the street who used Jeyes Bin Fresh.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Peter Hill
writes
On 30/11/2014 20:17, Tim Lamb wrote:
Our lodger buys a *whey* based food supplement and seems to get through
one pack per bin collection. Totally uncrushable by hand.

Warm it up a bit.

Or get a Stanley knife, cut it round the middle and then fill 2 1/2's
up with smaller stuff.

Umm.. I already draw the line at tearing off sticky tape and removing
staples from cardboard boxes. Fortunately the person who benefits from
his rent has taken back the job:-)

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01 Dec 2014, Chris J Dixon grunted:

Lobster wrote:

I also works brilliantly for leaves; except the compaction ratio is
about 90% then - the problem is that it's very easy to get it so full
that either (a) the contents don't fall out when inverted and/or (b)
the bin men take one look and decide it's been filled with mud or
something, and just leave it. Not fun trying to take an overfilled
bin of leaves down to the council dump and emtying over the it
railings into the skip...

My bin men did, eventually, get all the leaves out of my bin, but
it took a great deal of banging and shaking to do it.

Evidently you give yours a bigger Xmas tip than me, then!

Haven't I seen tubular metal devices that hook onto the bin to
compact in situ?

You have. In fact there's one in my garage - it doesn't actually fit my
model of bin

--
David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 02 Dec 2014 01:03:40 +0000, Lobster wrote:

On 01 Dec 2014, Chris J Dixon grunted:

My bin men did, eventually, get all the leaves out of my bin, but it
took a great deal of banging and shaking to do it.

Evidently you give yours a bigger Xmas tip than me, then!

Strange how tipping certain workers is considered the norm. I've never
tipped the bin men; they are not self-employed, they don't do anything
special and it's my council tax that pays their (not bad) wages anyway.

Same with the postie.

I tip taxi drivers if they are on time. (Guess how many taxi drivers
tipped me when I worked in a petrol station?)

Barber - tip. (Don't want a 'mistake' next time!)

Waiting staff get a tip if they do a good job - and they almost always do.
I have removed auto-added service charges from bills where the service has
been bad.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chad wrote
Lobster wrote
Chris J Dixon wrote

My bin men did, eventually, get all the leaves out of my bin,
but it took a great deal of banging and shaking to do it.

Evidently you give yours a bigger Xmas tip than me, then!

Strange how tipping certain workers is considered the norm. I've never
tipped the bin men; they are not self-employed, they don't do anything
special and it's my council tax that pays their (not bad) wages anyway.

Same with the postie.

I tip taxi drivers if they are on time.

I dont.

(Guess how many taxi drivers tipped
me when I worked in a petrol station?)

Barber - tip. (Don't want a 'mistake' next time!)

I refuse to pay if they **** up.

Waiting staff get a tip if they do a good job

I never tip anyone.

- and they almost always do. I have removed auto-added
service charges from bills where the service has been bad.

I remove it all the time.

I dont tip anyone, ever. I do pay for what I have had done tho.

What to salvage from a trash compactor Ignoramus17926 Metalworking 2 February 23rd 14 11:17 PM
Soil Compactor Bit? Winston Metalworking 15 April 28th 10 03:54 AM
trash compactor [email protected] Home Repair 23 March 26th 08 03:27 AM
Plate Compactor Incubus Home Repair 4 June 24th 07 01:29 PM
Improvised Compactor... AlexW UK diy 15 August 6th 05 01:24 AM