Posted to free.uk.diy.home,alt.home.repair

Default Plate Compactor

Guys,

I'm thinking about doing my own driveway this month and have laid down
about 2 inch of type 1.

I need to compact it and was thinking of hiring a plate compactor at
about £45 per week.

However, just been along to my B&Q and they have a Hulk plate compactor
for £160.00. I was thinking I might buy it instead of hiring as I've got
a few more jobs lined up that I will need a plate compactor for.

I don't have a clue if this sounds any good:

Compaction Force 10 kN
Spark Plug NGK BPR8ES
Engine type 4 Stroke OHV Single Cylinder
Speed 3800 min
Engine Power 2.4 hp
Plate working area Length 400 mm
Width 320 mm
Vibration 48 m/s2
Usage time 20 min
Sound Power Level
(LWA) 101 dB(A)
Fuel type Unleaded (86 octane or higher)
Fuel capacity 2 litres
Maximum dimensions
in operation Height - 1020 mm
Width - 320 mm
Length - 1290 mm

Does anyone know if this looks any good for the use I am wanting it for?
Also, what is usage time all about. It said it was rated at 20 minutes.
What does this mean; 20 min before filling the tank again or 20 mins
then give the plate a rest?

Any guidance on this would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

John.
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,alt.home.repair

"Incubus" wrote in message:

I'm thinking about doing my own driveway this month and have laid down
about 2 inch of type 1.

I need to compact it and was thinking of hiring a plate compactor at about
£45 per week.

However, just been along to my B&Q and they have a Hulk plate compactor
for £160.00. I was thinking I might buy it instead of hiring as I've got a
few more jobs lined up that I will need a plate compactor for.

I don't have a clue if this sounds any good:

Here's some guidance:
http://www.pavingexpert.com/blocks2.htm

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,alt.home.repair

I don't have a clue if this sounds any good:

I don't know either.. I "thought" I spoke English but I guess I was wrong

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,alt.home.repair

On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 20:07:11 GMT, Incubus wrote:
-snip-
However, just been along to my B&Q and they have a Hulk plate compactor
for £160.00. I was thinking I might buy it instead of hiring as I've got
a few more jobs lined up that I will need a plate compactor for.

-snip-
Usage time 20 min

-snip-
Does anyone know if this looks any good for the use I am wanting it for?
Also, what is usage time all about. It said it was rated at 20 minutes.
What does this mean; 20 min before filling the tank again or 20 mins
then give the plate a rest?

It looks to me like "Usage Time" is how long the operator can go
before risking physical damage.

The question is whether that is 20 minutes a day or 20 minutes an
hour.
http://www.hewden.co.uk/pdf/healthsa..._vibration.pdf

Jim
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,alt.home.repair

Thanks guys,

That paving expert website was really useful.

Looks like I won't be buying that plate compactor - It says for a type 4
drive I need at least 60Kn of force but the B&Q beasty only provides
10Kn. Guess there was a reason for it being cheap then!

Cheers,

John.

Incubus wrote:
[...]

Is hand tamping a patio base enough? Or do i really need to rent a power compactor? Masonry321 Home Repair 10 May 22nd 21 05:15 AM
Improvised Compactor... AlexW UK diy 15 August 6th 05 01:24 AM
BBQ Plate? BIGEYE Metalworking 40 February 15th 05 10:53 PM
BBQ Plate Question? BIGEYE UK diy 3 February 14th 05 10:46 PM
Compactor with cycle or motor problem willshak Home Repair 0 November 19th 04 06:52 PM