Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Lamb[_2_] Tim Lamb[_2_] is offline

Default Re-cycling compactor

In message , "Nightjar
\"cpb\"@" "insert my surname writes
On 30/11/2014 09:30, Tim Lamb wrote:
Temporarily in charge of the recycling boxes and struggling to fit 2
weeks worth of plastic containers into one box, I was reminded of an
earlier thread about getting more into a standard wheelie bin.

This got me wondering about design and marketing opportunities for a
domestic compactor/wrapper...

Google threw up a number commercially available domestic waste
compactors. However, following them up, most seem to give variants of
'sorry this product has been discontinued'. This makes me think that
there is little demand for such a product.

Our lodger buys a *whey* based food supplement and seems to get through
one pack per bin collection. Totally uncrushable by hand.

Now if Dyson2 could devise an affordable hand/foot powered compactor
there is a one per household market:-)

Not in mine. General waste is collected weekly and recycling once a
fortnight and I rarely produce enough waste to more than half fill
either.

Apparently the UK is not meeting the target for waste recycling and may
be fined by the EU. I am interested that councils elsewhere have a more
relaxed approach to *sorting*. St. Albans DC seem unable to have the
same rules for more than 12 months at a time:-(

--
Tim Lamb