Posted to uk.d-i-y
nightjar nightjar is offline

Default Re-cycling compactor

On 30/11/2014 12:11, Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote:

mixed in the wheelie bin?

We used to have three recycling bins for paper/card, plastic/tins, glass
as well as the rubbish bin, various items (butter tubs, yoghurt pots,
tetra paks) were not wanted for recycling.

Now we just have one recycling bin and everything (including the
previously unwanted stuff) can go in it, certainly that bin is fuller
than the rubbish bin nowadays.

Sorted recycling is more valuable, but fewer people bother to recycle
when they have to sort it, so Councils are finding that larger volumes
of unsorted recycling are actually more profitable overall.

I assume they separate it and sell it, but who knows ...

The Council usually sell it to a recycler, who may even do the pickups.
The recycler will then put it through automatic sorting machines and
sell the results.

--
Colin Bignell