Posted to uk.d-i-y
jkn jkn is offline

Default OTish: considerations for new TV for elderly mother

Hi
a bit OT I confess, but I know quite a few here have elderly parents...
I'm thinking of buying my 80-year old mother a 'slimline' (as she calls them
;-) LCD TV to replace her old CRT one.

The replacement will be relatively small (22-inch or so), but since I'm
doing the purchase/delivery remotely I'd like to get it right. I am thinking
that her (unstated, as yet) criteria might be a bit different to most
purchasers.

so specifically:

- are there any models with specifically large/accessible buttons?
- are there any with remote controls easy to use by the elderly?
- anything else that I might take into consideration?

Thanks for any thoughts

Jon N

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 10 Nov 2014 22:47:55 +0000
jkn wrote:

Hi
a bit OT I confess, but I know quite a few here have elderly
parents... I'm thinking of buying my 80-year old mother a
'slimline' (as she calls them ;-) LCD TV to replace her old CRT one.

The replacement will be relatively small (22-inch or so), but since
I'm doing the purchase/delivery remotely I'd like to get it right. I
am thinking that her (unstated, as yet) criteria might be a bit
different to most purchasers.

so specifically:

- are there any models with specifically large/accessible buttons?
- are there any with remote controls easy to use by the elderly?
- anything else that I might take into consideration?

Thanks for any thoughts

Jon N

I can't help with answers, but you might get more views by moving to
uk.tech.digital-tv

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/11/2014 22:47, jkn wrote:
Hi
a bit OT I confess, but I know quite a few here have elderly parents...
I'm thinking of buying my 80-year old mother a 'slimline' (as she calls them
;-) LCD TV to replace her old CRT one.

The replacement will be relatively small (22-inch or so), but since I'm
doing the purchase/delivery remotely I'd like to get it right. I am thinking
that her (unstated, as yet) criteria might be a bit different to most
purchasers.

so specifically:

- are there any models with specifically large/accessible buttons?
- are there any with remote controls easy to use by the elderly?
- anything else that I might take into consideration?

Thanks for any thoughts

Jon N

Are you sure you want a small one?
Eyesight gets worse with age and pep[le go deaf so a big screen with
subtitles is better for many.

Adli had some big button remotes a few weeks back, like 12" x 5".
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
jkn wrote:
Hi a bit OT I confess, but I know quite a few here have elderly
parents... I'm thinking of buying my 80-year old mother a 'slimline'
(as she calls them ;-) LCD TV to replace her old CRT one.

The replacement will be relatively small (22-inch or so), but since I'm
doing the purchase/delivery remotely I'd like to get it right. I am
thinking that her (unstated, as yet) criteria might be a bit different
to most purchasers.

so specifically:

- are there any models with specifically large/accessible buttons?
- are there any with remote controls easy to use by the elderly?
- anything else that I might take into consideration?

Thanks for any thoughts

Jon N

A 22" widescreen will have a (subjectively) smaller picture than just
about any recent CRT set.

You need a 24" to roughly match a 21" 4:3 CRT.

--
*The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

A 22" widescreen will have a (subjectively) smaller picture than just
about any recent CRT set.

You need a 24" to roughly match a 21" 4:3 CRT.

I should push her towards getting a bigger screen than she thinks she
wants. My experience of this situation is considerable, by the way.

When she gets the telly make sure she uses HD. It's an odd thing but HD
seems to help people with poor vision.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well, how are her eyes? If you go to a bigger more up market Panasonic you
can now get them that talk to you so if you do press the wrong remote button
you can hear it. Panasonic remotes are far easier than Sony or Samsung ones
for older people it is claimed.

Also, you can of course get big button remotes that can be programmed for
the most used functions of most appliances these days i notice, in much the
same way ou can get big button phones.

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"jkn" wrote in message
news
Hi
a bit OT I confess, but I know quite a few here have elderly parents...
I'm thinking of buying my 80-year old mother a 'slimline' (as she calls
them
;-) LCD TV to replace her old CRT one.

The replacement will be relatively small (22-inch or so), but since I'm
doing the purchase/delivery remotely I'd like to get it right. I am
thinking
that her (unstated, as yet) criteria might be a bit different to most
purchasers.

so specifically:

- are there any models with specifically large/accessible buttons?
- are there any with remote controls easy to use by the elderly?
- anything else that I might take into consideration?

Thanks for any thoughts

Jon N

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The replacement will be relatively small (22-inch or so),

Another recommendation to go for a (much) bigger screen for viewing
(espec. captions) and hearing.

It can be v hard when people resist a TV they think will dominate the
room. But I can't recommend from a sample of only one the tactic of
getting the (cough) wrong one delivered just before Xmas and explaining
they can't swap it for a smaller one until after the New Year holiday.

--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/11/14 22:47, jkn wrote:
Hi
a bit OT I confess, but I know quite a few here have elderly parents...
I'm thinking of buying my 80-year old mother a 'slimline' (as she calls them
;-) LCD TV to replace her old CRT one.

The replacement will be relatively small (22-inch or so), but since I'm
doing the purchase/delivery remotely I'd like to get it right. I am thinking
that her (unstated, as yet) criteria might be a bit different to most
purchasers.

so specifically:

- are there any models with specifically large/accessible buttons?
- are there any with remote controls easy to use by the elderly?
- anything else that I might take into consideration?

This one.

http://www.thepoke.co.uk/2014/11/09/...mas-tv-remote/

Apart from quality of speakers, I'd guess most of these at that size
would not really have much discerning relevant features other than
already mentioned.

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"jkn" wrote in message
news
Hi
a bit OT I confess, but I know quite a few here have elderly parents...
I'm thinking of buying my 80-year old mother a 'slimline' (as she calls
them
;-) LCD TV to replace her old CRT one.

The replacement will be relatively small (22-inch or so), but since I'm
doing the purchase/delivery remotely I'd like to get it right. I am
thinking
that her (unstated, as yet) criteria might be a bit different to most
purchasers.

so specifically:

- are there any models with specifically large/accessible buttons?
- are there any with remote controls easy to use by the elderly?
- anything else that I might take into consideration?

Thanks for any thoughts

Jon N

Look out for power consumption.
There are massive differences. Factor of four in some cases)
Makes a big difference if it is on for long periods.

Virtually no TVs have any buttons, it's all done with the remote.
I have seen after market remotes with big buttons.
More inportant to have raised (not flush) buttons I think.

You might be better with a wall bracket, saves having to move for cleaning
etc.
Available fixed or swivelling.

You can get TVs with built in Freesat and Freeview.
Also TV on demand, and pay TV.
Some needs internet connection.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
harryagain wrote:
You can get TVs with built in Freesat and Freeview.

Any TV today without FreeView is likely to be a very old model. As without
FreeView, it is no longer a TV as most would think of one.

--
*Make it idiot-proof and someone will make a better idiot.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jkn jkn is offline

Hi All
thanks for all the comments. I had already planned to get a slightly bigger screen than her current one (21" IIRC), but I take the points about (a) aspect ratio, and (b) a bigger one being better anyway for visibility purposes etc. She has cataracts and I suspect sees less than she lets on...

I had more-or-less planned on getting a custom remote with large keys; as has been suggested she pretty much watches only 1, 2, 3, 4, ...

She doesn't want one on an arm, screwed to the wall (a pity).

I'll take a look at the Panasonics etc. for the remotes. It's a pain I have to do some of this remotely, she is quite likely to take 'agin' anything that is presented to her! ;-/

I may also post in uk.tech.digital-tv, thanks for the suggestion Davey.

Cheers
jon N

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/11/2014 20:27, jkn wrote:
Hi All thanks for all the comments. I had already planned to get a
slightly bigger screen than her current one (21" IIRC), but I take
the points about (a) aspect ratio, and (b) a bigger one being better
anyway for visibility purposes etc. She has cataracts and I suspect
sees less than she lets on...

So its a 50" minimum then!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/11/2014 08:42, Brian Gaff wrote:
Well, how are her eyes? If you go to a bigger more up market Panasonic you
can now get them that talk to you so if you do press the wrong remote button
you can hear it. Panasonic remotes are far easier than Sony or Samsung ones
for older people it is claimed.

Well I don't know about the other brands as we use a Panasonic
ourselves, but I got my elderly father a Panasonic too and he doesn't
find it at all easy to use the remote. It has to be aimed rather
accurately at the sensor on the TV, and the buttons have to be depressed
for a certain amount of time, not too rapidly but not held down too long
(or you get auto-repeats in some cases) and he doesn't seem to find it
easy to get the duration right. It may be that the other brands are
even worse, but I wouldn't bank on it without testing them e.g. in a
shop (if suitable shops still exist).

Also, you can of course get big button remotes that can be programmed for
the most used functions of most appliances these days i notice, in much the
same way ou can get big button phones.

That seems a good idea, but worth checking that the popular brands of
big-button remotes will actually work with the brand and model of TV
that you select.

And I'd also support the suggestion of getting a much larger screen than
you think is required.

--
Clive Page
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/11/14 23:41, Clive Page wrote:
Well I don't know about the other brands as we use a Panasonic
ourselves, but I got my elderly father a Panasonic too and he doesn't
find it at all easy to use the remote. It has to be aimed rather
accurately at the sensor on the TV, and the buttons have to be depressed
for a certain amount of time, not too rapidly but not held down too long
(or you get auto-repeats in some cases) and he doesn't seem to find it
easy to get the duration right. It may be that the other brands are
even worse, but I wouldn't bank on it without testing them e.g. in a
shop (if suitable shops still exist).

+1. Not a good remote at all. Sony not much better.

Think LG is the best i've seen to date...

http://www.espares.co.uk/browse/at1090/remote-controls

is a good place to look at different models of remote control

The other thing I go for these days is the ability to edit the humongous
list of programs down to a manageable set you actually use. Panasonic
and sony seem better at this.

Then if hard of hearing is an issue, how easy is the subtitle button to
find?

A quite afternoon in a store that lest you fiddle is indicated...

Also, you can of course get big button remotes that can be programmed for
the most used functions of most appliances these days i notice, in
much the
same way ou can get big button phones.

That seems a good idea, but worth checking that the popular brands of
big-button remotes will actually work with the brand and model of TV
that you select.

And I'd also support the suggestion of getting a much larger screen than
you think is required.

+1 to ALL of that..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 11 Nov 2014 23:59:45 +0000
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Then if hard of hearing is an issue, how easy is the subtitle button
to find?

Agreed. I have a Toshiba and a Samsung. To switch the subtitles on or
off on the Samsung requires:
1. Press Subtitle button.
2. Press button.
3. Press 'up' or 'down' button.
4. Press Subtitle button.
Note that each step requires a different button to be pressed.

The Toshiba requires:
1. Press Subtitle button.
2. Press Subtitle button again.

That's it. The Humax PVR is the same as the Toshiba.

--
Davey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Davey
writes
On Tue, 11 Nov 2014 23:59:45 +0000
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Then if hard of hearing is an issue, how easy is the subtitle button
to find?

Agreed. I have a Toshiba and a Samsung. To switch the subtitles on or
off on the Samsung requires:
1. Press Subtitle button.
2. Press button.
3. Press 'up' or 'down' button.
4. Press Subtitle button.
Note that each step requires a different button to be pressed.

Yeah our Samsung has an annoying number of button presses.

Not actually a problem for us as we don't really use subtitles much (and
don't watch much broadcast TV anyway). but it would be annoying if I
did.

It is also very fussy about the direction of the remote. It's a 51" TV
and from across the room (say 4m - 5m) you have to very deliberately
point it towards the bottom left corner. Even after over 2 years it can
catch us out.

Our old Sony remote could be pointed in pretty much any direction and it
would work.

and yes, another vote for bigger than you think. not only the issue of
different screen ratio, but modern TV's are a lot less bulky and so
don't have quite the same physical presence in the room.
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/11/2014 22:47, jkn wrote:
Hi
a bit OT I confess, but I know quite a few here have elderly parents...
I'm thinking of buying my 80-year old mother a 'slimline' (as she calls them
;-) LCD TV to replace her old CRT one.

OK. But beware of change and don't throw out the old one until she is
really comfortable with the new one. Same make, larger size and same
remote has been my solution to this upgrade conundrum. We got my parents
slightly larger sets as their eyesight gradually declined.

The replacement will be relatively small (22-inch or so), but since I'm
doing the purchase/delivery remotely I'd like to get it right. I am thinking
that her (unstated, as yet) criteria might be a bit different to most
purchasers.

Why so small?
Is her room tiny or does she really not want a larger set?

I wouldn't consider anything less than 32" to allow space for subtitles
and declining visual acuity. My mum can't read the program details on
anything smaller (in fact she needs a pair of 2x magnifying glasses to
read them at all now on her 37" set) so HD is obviously pointless.

so specifically:

- are there any models with specifically large/accessible buttons?

You can get aftermarket remotes with bigger buttons.

- are there any with remote controls easy to use by the elderly?

One by the same maker as their existing set.

- anything else that I might take into consideration?

22" is awfully small unless it is for a bedroom and very close to her.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

jkn wrote:
Hi All
thanks for all the comments. I had already planned to get a slightly bigger screen than her current one (21" IIRC), but I take the points about (a) aspect ratio, and (b) a bigger one being better anyway for visibility purposes etc. She has cataracts and I suspect sees less than she lets on...

I had more-or-less planned on getting a custom remote with large keys; as has been suggested she pretty much watches only 1, 2, 3, 4, ...

She doesn't want one on an arm, screwed to the wall (a pity).

I'll take a look at the Panasonics etc. for the remotes. It's a pain I have to do some of this remotely, she is quite likely to take 'agin' anything that is presented to her! ;-/

I may also post in uk.tech.digital-tv, thanks for the suggestion Davey.

Cheers
jon N

Go for 32", remember that you are going from 4 x 3 to 16 x 9 sometimes,
so the height of the picture is greatly reduced. I made the 22" mistake
a few years back and gave it away.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Capitol wrote:
Go for 32", remember that you are going from 4 x 3 to 16 x 9 sometimes,
so the height of the picture is greatly reduced. I made the 22" mistake
a few years back and gave it away.

As I said before, to replace a 21" 4:3 so faces etc in close up are about
the same size on a widescreen, you need a 24" widescreen. Which are
actually rather rare.

--
*He who laughs last, thinks slowest.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Capitol wrote:

Go for 32", remember that you are going from 4 x 3 to 16 x 9 sometimes,
so the height of the picture is greatly reduced. I made the 22" mistake
a few years back and gave it away.

As I said before, to replace a 21" 4:3 so faces etc in close up are about
the same size on a widescreen, you need a 24" widescreen. Which are
actually rather rare.

Although at the moment Richer Sounds have some discounted 24" ones.

I suspect that if the OP does exactly what he is asked (like I did and
got a 27") that the next year he will be buying a 32" anyway to
compensate for failing eyesight. I cannot recommend any of the 2x TV
magnifying glasses that are available. Either too flimsy and easily out
of adjustment, or so heavy that an elderly person cannot handle them.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jkn jkn is offline

On Thursday, 13 November 2014 00:03:09 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Capitol wrote:
Go for 32", remember that you are going from 4 x 3 to 16 x 9 sometimes,
so the height of the picture is greatly reduced. I made the 22" mistake
a few years back and gave it away.

As I said before, to replace a 21" 4:3 so faces etc in close up are about
the same size on a widescreen, you need a 24" widescreen. Which are
actually rather rare.

Yes - as are 26" it seems, which was the size I have been thinking of.

It may be, as people are suggesting, that bigger than this would be 'best';
but there is a MAF just as there is a WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) to consider
here...

J^n
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Capitol wrote:
Go for 32", remember that you are going from 4 x 3 to 16 x 9 sometimes,
so the height of the picture is greatly reduced. I made the 22" mistake
a few years back and gave it away.

As I said before, to replace a 21" 4:3 so faces etc in close up are about
the same size on a widescreen, you need a 24" widescreen. Which are
actually rather rare.

Yes - as are 26" it seems, which was the size I have been thinking of.

It may be, as people are suggesting, that bigger than this would be 'best';
but there is a MAF just as there is a WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) to consider
here...

J^n

Find one with a narrow bezel around the edges so that the LCD screen
occupies the entire space and fib about the actual size.

27" are more common but you will probably regret buying one.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/11/2014 12:57, Huge wrote:

IME with my M-I-L, the screen size is irrelevant. The problem is that she
couldn't work the remote. Even when we bought her a very simple "universal"
remote which only had 5 buttons, she still struggled. She would press "Channel
Down" too many times, find herself on channel 145 and panic. If possible, I'd
lock out all but the main half-dozen channels.

You can set up a favourites menu that only contains the channels they
watch. Don't forget to include Dave and Yesterday though.

The big problem I have is that in Manchester since digital D-day the
aerial pointed at Winterhill can see the powerful Welsh transmitter in a
sidelobe and the set is dumb enough to put first found into the default
channels and the local English stations at 801 & seq.

I had to disable automatic offer a retune when new stations are found to
avoid trips over to zap the mad Welsh channels that would otherwise sit
on top of Countdown on Ch4. Apparently a lot of Panasonics do this - the
newer ones offer geographic filter or strongest signal. Either of these
options will sort the mess out but on older sets you have to unplug the
aerial until the Welsh channels have gone past!

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Capitol wrote:
Go for 32", remember that you are going from 4 x 3 to 16 x 9
sometimes, so the height of the picture is greatly reduced. I made
the 22" mistake a few years back and gave it away.

As I said before, to replace a 21" 4:3 so faces etc in close up are
about the same size on a widescreen, you need a 24" widescreen. Which
are actually rather rare.

Yes - as are 26" it seems, which was the size I have been thinking of.

It may be, as people are suggesting, that bigger than this would be
'best'; but there is a MAF just as there is a WAF (Wife Acceptance
Factor) to consider here...

In my case it was to replace a 21" CRT where space (height wise) was
tight - and didn't want a (subjectively) smaller picture. I was quite
surprised (at the time) to find just how rare a 24" or so widescreen was.
Ended up with a v.expensive Humax which had a design fault resulting in it
being scrapped at an early age. I now have a smart HD LG in that location
which is pretty good.

--
*What was the best thing before sliced bread?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article5NadnW1JBqBRWv7JnZ2dnUVZ7omdnZ2d@brightvie w.co.uk,
wrote:
Go for 32", remember that you are going from 4 x 3 to 16 x 9 sometimes,
so the height of the picture is greatly reduced. I made the 22" mistake
a few years back and gave it away.

As I said before, to replace a 21" 4:3 so faces etc in close up are about
the same size on a widescreen, you need a 24" widescreen. Which are
actually rather rare.

Yes - as are 26" it seems, which was the size I have been thinking of.

It may be, as people are suggesting, that bigger than this would be 'best';
but there is a MAF just as there is a WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) to consider
here...

J^n

Just show her a picture on one of the channels using top and bottom
black banding and ask her if she really wants to watch that on 22"!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/11/2014 23:41, Clive Page wrote:

Well I don't know about the other brands as we use a Panasonic
ourselves, but I got my elderly father a Panasonic too and he doesn't
find it at all easy to use the remote. It has to be aimed rather
accurately at the sensor on the TV, and the buttons have to be depressed
for a certain amount of time, not too rapidly but not held down too long
(or you get auto-repeats in some cases) and he doesn't seem to find it
easy to get the duration right. It may be that the other brands are
even worse, but I wouldn't bank on it without testing them e.g. in a
shop (if suitable shops still exist).

Don't have much of an issue with our Panasonic remotes (TV and DVD). A
slight oddity with switch on - you do have to hold the button down for
maybe a couple of seconds.

I actually use my Nexus 7 as a remote - the real one usually being
nearer partner. That does not need line of sight!

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 12 Nov 2014 08:22:57 +0000, Martin Brown wrote:

On 10/11/2014 22:47, jkn wrote:
[...]

Well re this conversation,,

ive been there and dunnit allready,,
For my ninty year old mom,,
who can see quite well,,

cept someone has been having it away with her marbles..

I got her a bigger high def screen..

Yup,, I dun that already ..

She lived in a chair at that time
a reclining chair,,

Now we have a newer reclonng chair elictric,

and she is moved from there into her bed at night
and morning,,

Andso she is inna long narrow room with a chair at one end and
her a bed at the other,,the tv needs to be turned//

I have an illiyama swivel top, sitting on top off a humax box
a brilliant combination with decent sound quality..
Upstairs in my bedroom ..

I got a bigger scren fo my mom but sold it off cheap to a young couple
who could connect it to a sky box,,

Ended up with a small Phillips old format tv which was prefect for her
needs ..

Lousy sound same as the expensive jvc in the kitchen

high frequenceys scream at you

thats wher the illyamma wins out..

reasonable sound quality

///

Dont you know,,,

Do you wonder is your old mom safe
sat in front of the big ol tv

let me see

Someone fill in the spaces here
do i have to?

why do you want to sit your old mom in front
of a big screen!

So she can see it ,, yea i got that..

I might think that way too if my mother
had poor vision ,, but she does not ..

She is oldm she has a weak and failing mind,,

I have learned that one has to be mindful
about the programming she watches..

and more recently with linda bellingham..
This came home to me to me during the nelson Mandela extravaganza..

Take care what you let your oldies view,,

A natter with some decent carers does her lot more good..

ITV three is safe ground for my ol mom,,

Think what you do

Mike..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Hi
a bit OT I confess, but I know quite a few here have elderly
parents...
I'm thinking of buying my 80-year old mother a 'slimline' (as she calls
them
;-) LCD TV to replace her old CRT one.

The replacement will be relatively small (22-inch or so), but since I'm
doing the purchase/delivery remotely I'd like to get it right. I am
thinking
that her (unstated, as yet) criteria might be a bit different to most
purchasers.

so specifically:

- are there any models with specifically large/accessible buttons?
- are there any with remote controls easy to use by the elderly?
- anything else that I might take into consideration?

Thanks for any thoughts

Jon N

Like others have said, get it bigger than you/she think is needed.
Over the years, we've bought progressively larger TV's for my elderly
mother (94). We are happy to take the discards! Also think about the
sound quality. We actually got a sound bar with her last telly (it was
a package), but the bar had it's own remote, and she got confused by
the whole thing so we removed it. Bear in mind also that in reality,
she might only watch two or three channels in total, rather than the
whole gamut of channels available.

you mean that all those ads on the "other" channels that are obviously
targeted at the "older" audience, are wasting their time?

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
tim..... wrote:
Like others have said, get it bigger than you/she think is needed.
Over the years, we've bought progressively larger TV's for my elderly
mother (94). We are happy to take the discards! Also think about the
sound quality. We actually got a sound bar with her last telly (it was
a package), but the bar had it's own remote, and she got confused by
the whole thing so we removed it. Bear in mind also that in reality,
she might only watch two or three channels in total, rather than the
whole gamut of channels available.

you mean that all those ads on the "other" channels that are obviously
targeted at the "older" audience, are wasting their time?

I'm at the older end of the spectrum, and definitely watch more of the
'other' channels than the main 5. Probably because I'm not much interested
in game shows, 'reality' stuff or sport.

--
*The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The other thing I go for these days is the ability to edit the humongous
list of programs down to a manageable set you actually use. Panasonic
and sony seem better at this.

Also consider that the TV may only be being used as a monitor. A
Sky/Freesat/Freeview/Cable/PVR box may be being used as the main method
of selecting channels.