Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default Wood Stove Considerations

I'm building a 700 sq ft. two story addition to my home and want to put
an efficient wood burning stove in the living area on the first floor.
I was thinking about Jotul or Vermont Castings, and their smallest
models. From those who have wood stoves, I'd be grateful to learn about
things I should consider or keep in mind. Also, are catalytic stoves
too much of a pain, or are they worth it (are replacement elements
expensive, given they last about two years)?

Thank you very much.

Posted to misc.consumers.house

When we lived in GA where the winters got real cold sometimes, we had a
wood stove. It did put out a lot of heat but to take advantage of it
you need a fan to circulate the air. Some stoves come with a fan - and
if I were buying I would be sure to get one of those.

wrote:
I'm building a 700 sq ft. two story addition to my home and want to put
an efficient wood burning stove in the living area on the first floor.
I was thinking about Jotul or Vermont Castings, and their smallest
models. From those who have wood stoves, I'd be grateful to learn about
things I should consider or keep in mind. Also, are catalytic stoves
too much of a pain, or are they worth it (are replacement elements
expensive, given they last about two years)?

Thank you very much.

Posted to misc.consumers.house

wrote in message
oups.com...

I'm building a 700 sq ft. two story addition to my home and want to put
an efficient wood burning stove in the living area on the first floor.
I was thinking about Jotul or Vermont Castings, and their smallest
models. From those who have wood stoves, I'd be grateful to learn about
things I should consider or keep in mind.

You may need to tell us where you live, whether
this stove would be used for principal heat or
only occasionally, whether you have a source
of free fuel etc. I recommend

Neil Soderstrom, Heating Your Home with Wood
(1979)
Dirk Thomas, Harrowsmith Country Life Guide to Wood Heat
(1992, not so good as Soderstrom).

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Very good point. I live in northeast Massachusetts north of Boston,
near the seacoast. I will have natural gas-warmed hot water baseboards
in this new addition, with radiators in the rest of the house. The room
where I plan to put the stove will have vents in the ceiling to help
circulate the air.

I wish I had a free fuel source, but I'll probably buy a cord or two to
start, then keep an eye out for downed trees or limbs I can cut with my
chainsaw.

Don Phillipson wrote:

You may need to tell us where you live, whether
this stove would be used for principal heat or
only occasionally, whether you have a source
of free fuel etc.

Posted to misc.consumers.house

I bought the largest model wood stove I could find in my area and am glad I
did. My wood stove is capable of 75,000 BTU's of heat and can heat my entire
house with the use of fans.

But I can also build a small fire and heat just the room it is in.

Here is the model I got (not catalytic)...
http://www.summersheat.com/50-snc30p.html

Main page of the above...
http://www.summersheat.com