Posted to uk.d-i-y
Capitol Capitol is offline

Default OTish: considerations for new TV for elderly mother

jkn wrote:
Hi All
thanks for all the comments. I had already planned to get a slightly bigger screen than her current one (21" IIRC), but I take the points about (a) aspect ratio, and (b) a bigger one being better anyway for visibility purposes etc. She has cataracts and I suspect sees less than she lets on...

I had more-or-less planned on getting a custom remote with large keys; as has been suggested she pretty much watches only 1, 2, 3, 4, ...

She doesn't want one on an arm, screwed to the wall (a pity).

I'll take a look at the Panasonics etc. for the remotes. It's a pain I have to do some of this remotely, she is quite likely to take 'agin' anything that is presented to her! ;-/

I may also post in uk.tech.digital-tv, thanks for the suggestion Davey.

Cheers
jon N

Go for 32", remember that you are going from 4 x 3 to 16 x 9 sometimes,
so the height of the picture is greatly reduced. I made the 22" mistake
a few years back and gave it away.