Posted to uk.d-i-y
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default OTish: considerations for new TV for elderly mother

On 10/11/2014 22:47, jkn wrote:
Hi
a bit OT I confess, but I know quite a few here have elderly parents...
I'm thinking of buying my 80-year old mother a 'slimline' (as she calls them
;-) LCD TV to replace her old CRT one.

OK. But beware of change and don't throw out the old one until she is
really comfortable with the new one. Same make, larger size and same
remote has been my solution to this upgrade conundrum. We got my parents
slightly larger sets as their eyesight gradually declined.

The replacement will be relatively small (22-inch or so), but since I'm
doing the purchase/delivery remotely I'd like to get it right. I am thinking
that her (unstated, as yet) criteria might be a bit different to most
purchasers.

Why so small?
Is her room tiny or does she really not want a larger set?

I wouldn't consider anything less than 32" to allow space for subtitles
and declining visual acuity. My mum can't read the program details on
anything smaller (in fact she needs a pair of 2x magnifying glasses to
read them at all now on her 37" set) so HD is obviously pointless.

so specifically:

- are there any models with specifically large/accessible buttons?

You can get aftermarket remotes with bigger buttons.

- are there any with remote controls easy to use by the elderly?

One by the same maker as their existing set.

- anything else that I might take into consideration?

22" is awfully small unless it is for a bedroom and very close to her.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown