Posted to uk.d-i-y
tim..... tim..... is offline

Default OTish: considerations for new TV for elderly mother

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
On Mon, 10 Nov 2014 22:47:55 +0000, jkn
wrote:

Hi
a bit OT I confess, but I know quite a few here have elderly
parents...
I'm thinking of buying my 80-year old mother a 'slimline' (as she calls
them
;-) LCD TV to replace her old CRT one.

The replacement will be relatively small (22-inch or so), but since I'm
doing the purchase/delivery remotely I'd like to get it right. I am
thinking
that her (unstated, as yet) criteria might be a bit different to most
purchasers.

so specifically:

- are there any models with specifically large/accessible buttons?
- are there any with remote controls easy to use by the elderly?
- anything else that I might take into consideration?

Thanks for any thoughts

Jon N

Like others have said, get it bigger than you/she think is needed.
Over the years, we've bought progressively larger TV's for my elderly
mother (94). We are happy to take the discards! Also think about the
sound quality. We actually got a sound bar with her last telly (it was
a package), but the bar had it's own remote, and she got confused by
the whole thing so we removed it. Bear in mind also that in reality,
she might only watch two or three channels in total, rather than the
whole gamut of channels available.

you mean that all those ads on the "other" channels that are obviously
targeted at the "older" audience, are wasting their time?

tim