Posted to uk.d-i-y
harryagain[_2_] harryagain[_2_] is offline

Default OTish: considerations for new TV for elderly mother

"jkn" wrote in message
news
Hi
a bit OT I confess, but I know quite a few here have elderly parents...
I'm thinking of buying my 80-year old mother a 'slimline' (as she calls
them
;-) LCD TV to replace her old CRT one.

The replacement will be relatively small (22-inch or so), but since I'm
doing the purchase/delivery remotely I'd like to get it right. I am
thinking
that her (unstated, as yet) criteria might be a bit different to most
purchasers.

so specifically:

- are there any models with specifically large/accessible buttons?
- are there any with remote controls easy to use by the elderly?
- anything else that I might take into consideration?

Thanks for any thoughts

Jon N

Look out for power consumption.
There are massive differences. Factor of four in some cases)
Makes a big difference if it is on for long periods.

Virtually no TVs have any buttons, it's all done with the remote.
I have seen after market remotes with big buttons.
More inportant to have raised (not flush) buttons I think.

You might be better with a wall bracket, saves having to move for cleaning
etc.
Available fixed or swivelling.

You can get TVs with built in Freesat and Freeview.
Also TV on demand, and pay TV.
Some needs internet connection.