Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default The continuing hard drive worries.

Right, if you have all finished stressing about Scotland.... back to my
computer problems.

As has been pointed out, Towers with Windows 7/32bit are readily
available on the refurbished market.

What problems am I likely to run into attempting to transfer software
for which I do not have installation discs. Clonezilla was suggested.

Also, will such m/cs have licensed software such that MS will continue
upgrading/fixing?

Kindly bear in mind my lack of geekyness:-)
--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:

As has been pointed out, Towers with Windows 7/32bit are readily
available on the refurbished market.

What problems am I likely to run into attempting to transfer software
for which I do not have installation discs.

In general you will need the install discs, not much software likes the
installed folder to be copied to a new machine, it will have sprinkled
..dll files an registry settings all over the old machine.

Clonezilla was suggested.

That's not what you want to use in this case, it would blat your old
WinXP on top of your new Win7 hard drive.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote

Right, if you have all finished stressing about Scotland.... back to my
computer problems.

As has been pointed out, Towers with Windows 7/32bit are readily
available on the refurbished market.

What problems am I likely to run into attempting to transfer software
for which I do not have installation discs. Clonezilla was suggested.

Also, will such m/cs have licensed software such that MS will continue
upgrading/fixing?

Kindly bear in mind my lack of geekyness:-)

What software do you want to transfer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/09/2014 21:15, Tim Lamb wrote:
Right, if you have all finished stressing about Scotland.... back to my
computer problems.

As has been pointed out, Towers with Windows 7/32bit are readily
available on the refurbished market.

What problems am I likely to run into attempting to transfer software
for which I do not have installation discs. Clonezilla was suggested.

Also, will such m/cs have licensed software such that MS will continue
upgrading/fixing?

Kindly bear in mind my lack of geekyness:-)

Are you trying to transfer the license from a machine that you have now
or from one that you are buying?

A full retail license that you buy by itself on DVDs is normally
transferable to a different computer. You might have to do a tedious
telephone activation.

A license that is sold with a new computer is normally not transferable.
You might be able be able to argue that re-registration is necessary
because some part has failed.

A Windows 8 license is a bit more flexible.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy
Burns writes
Tim Lamb wrote:

As has been pointed out, Towers with Windows 7/32bit are readily
available on the refurbished market.

What problems am I likely to run into attempting to transfer software
for which I do not have installation discs.

In general you will need the install discs, not much software likes the
installed folder to be copied to a new machine, it will have sprinkled
.dll files an registry settings all over the old machine.

In many cases you will need the Win7 version of the software, which may
be a later version than you have installed. Any original activation
codes may or may not work with later versions. I have some software that
has worked as I've downloaded later versions all the way from Windows 95
until now (eg Total Recorder). Others have been a disaster (eg Borland
C++ Builder) and I've only kept them because I've cloned the old machine
as a virtual machine on the later hardware.

The whole thing is a potential pain, I'm afraid.
--
Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In most cases, you cannot transfer individual software without also moving
the operating system. If you move the operating system, then all the drivers
will be wrong for the new box and probably it won't even boot correctly.
The reason is that most programs fiddle with the registry to store their
default folders and other data.
Really you need to have the original installers.

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
Right, if you have all finished stressing about Scotland.... back to my
computer problems.

As has been pointed out, Towers with Windows 7/32bit are readily available
on the refurbished market.

What problems am I likely to run into attempting to transfer software for
which I do not have installation discs. Clonezilla was suggested.

Also, will such m/cs have licensed software such that MS will continue
upgrading/fixing?

Kindly bear in mind my lack of geekyness:-)
--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote

In most cases, you cannot transfer individual software without also moving
the operating system. If you move the operating system, then all the
drivers will be wrong for the new box and probably it won't even boot
correctly.

That last is easy enough to fix by doing a repair install.

The real problem is that it isnt the OS that he wants to use now.

The reason is that most programs fiddle with the registry to store their
default folders and other data.
Really you need to have the original installers.

When changing OSs, yep.

Tim Lamb wrote

Right, if you have all finished stressing about Scotland.... back to my
computer problems.

As has been pointed out, Towers with Windows 7/32bit are readily
available on the refurbished market.

What problems am I likely to run into attempting to transfer software for
which I do not have installation discs. Clonezilla was suggested.

Also, will such m/cs have licensed software such that MS will continue
upgrading/fixing?

Kindly bear in mind my lack of geekyness:-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message sting.com,
Jabba writes
Tim Lamb wrote

Right, if you have all finished stressing about Scotland.... back to my
computer problems.

As has been pointed out, Towers with Windows 7/32bit are readily
available on the refurbished market.

What problems am I likely to run into attempting to transfer software
for which I do not have installation discs. Clonezilla was suggested.

Also, will such m/cs have licensed software such that MS will continue
upgrading/fixing?

Kindly bear in mind my lack of geekyness:-)

What software do you want to transfer.

Umm.. Turnpike although there is a fair bit of *knowledge* on how to do
this from previous moves.

I guess the obvious is a working browser so I can fetch the rest.

Nero came with the current m/c. I have a Norton account with 2 more free
installs so that should be OK. Spybot etc.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Michael Chare
writes
On 19/09/2014 21:15, Tim Lamb wrote:
Right, if you have all finished stressing about Scotland.... back to my
computer problems.

As has been pointed out, Towers with Windows 7/32bit are readily
available on the refurbished market.

What problems am I likely to run into attempting to transfer software
for which I do not have installation discs. Clonezilla was suggested.

Also, will such m/cs have licensed software such that MS will continue
upgrading/fixing?

Kindly bear in mind my lack of geekyness:-)

Are you trying to transfer the license from a machine that you have now
or from one that you are buying?

Understanding error:-)

The refurbished m/c would be purchased with a working Windows 7
installation.

A full retail license that you buy by itself on DVDs is normally
transferable to a different computer. You might have to do a tedious
telephone activation.

A license that is sold with a new computer is normally not
transferable. You might be able be able to argue that re-registration
is necessary because some part has failed.

Ah! This might be the stumbling block. How much is a licensed copy of
Windows 7/32?

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/09/14 08:34, Tim Lamb wrote:
What software do you want to transfer.

Umm.. Turnpike although there is a fair bit of *knowledge* on how to do
this from previous moves.

I guess the obvious is a working browser so I can fetch the rest.

why not be adventurous, and install linux mint, and then see if turnpike
will run under WINE?

You wont need anti-virus then.

And you can stick the old drive in there as well and copy any data off
it you want..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:

Michael Chare writes:

A license that is sold with a new computer is normally not
transferable.

Ah! This might be the stumbling block. How much is a licensed copy of
Windows 7/32?

You shouldn't need or want to be transferring a Windows licence in what
you're thinking of doing (presumaly you don't want XP on the new
machine?) you should buy one that has a Win7 licence included, the OEM
licences do transfer with the machine.

If you buy from one of the eBay "business" sellers who is offering
multiple identical machines with windows included, they're not likely to
stiff you on the licence, e.g.

e.g. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171424219178

That's about a 5 year old model, but very few people *need* the latest
and greatest nowadays.

Buying a one-off from a home user flogging a single PC, who knows how
many relatives computers have the same licence already installed on
them, and whether MS would re-activate it for you if you have problems?

There is an official MS refurbishers scheme, if you want the
re-assurance of a brand new windows licence.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:
In message sting.com,
Jabba writes
Tim Lamb wrote

Right, if you have all finished stressing about Scotland.... back to my
computer problems.

As has been pointed out, Towers with Windows 7/32bit are readily
available on the refurbished market.

What problems am I likely to run into attempting to transfer software
for which I do not have installation discs. Clonezilla was suggested.

Also, will such m/cs have licensed software such that MS will continue
upgrading/fixing?

Kindly bear in mind my lack of geekyness:-)

What software do you want to transfer.

Umm.. Turnpike

If you ask on demon.ip.support.turnpike you'll find that installation
files are available - probably, depending on the version.

--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
On 20/09/14 08:34, Tim Lamb wrote:
What software do you want to transfer.

Umm.. Turnpike although there is a fair bit of *knowledge* on how to do
this from previous moves.

I guess the obvious is a working browser so I can fetch the rest.

why not be adventurous, and install linux mint, and then see if
turnpike will run under WINE?

Turnpike 6 (which Tim is using) doesn't run under WINE

But transferring that will be easy enough, if Tim doesn't have it,
though the installation file isn't available anymore from Demon I don't
think, there are still copies around
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
On 20/09/14 08:34, Tim Lamb wrote:
What software do you want to transfer.

Umm.. Turnpike although there is a fair bit of *knowledge* on how to do
this from previous moves.

I guess the obvious is a working browser so I can fetch the rest.

why not be adventurous, and install linux mint, and then see if
turnpike will run under WINE?

I believe the later versions connect using Windows. Some users advocate
falling back to the 5.02 issue but I think you are still stuck with the
32bit limitation.

You wont need anti-virus then.

And you can stick the old drive in there as well and copy any data off
it you want..

Oh! Technical. Is there anywhere you can *experience* linux without
jumping in with both feet?

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Mike Barnes
writes
Tim Lamb wrote:
In message sting.com,
Jabba writes
Tim Lamb wrote

Right, if you have all finished stressing about Scotland.... back to my
computer problems.

As has been pointed out, Towers with Windows 7/32bit are readily
available on the refurbished market.

What problems am I likely to run into attempting to transfer software
for which I do not have installation discs. Clonezilla was suggested.

Also, will such m/cs have licensed software such that MS will continue
upgrading/fixing?

Kindly bear in mind my lack of geekyness:-)

What software do you want to transfer.

Umm.. Turnpike

If you ask on demon.ip.support.turnpike you'll find that installation
files are available - probably, depending on the version.

Yes. There is 5.02 as well. I should be OK on the operating system but
may need advice on the data files.

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy
Burns writes
Tim Lamb wrote:

Michael Chare writes:

A license that is sold with a new computer is normally not
transferable.

Ah! This might be the stumbling block. How much is a licensed copy of
Windows 7/32?

You shouldn't need or want to be transferring a Windows licence in what
you're thinking of doing (presumaly you don't want XP on the new
machine?) you should buy one that has a Win7 licence included, the OEM
licences do transfer with the machine.

OK That's reassuring.

If you buy from one of the eBay "business" sellers who is offering
multiple identical machines with windows included, they're not likely
to stiff you on the licence, e.g.

e.g. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171424219178

That's about a 5 year old model, but very few people *need* the latest
and greatest nowadays.

Are they all likely to be that old? Is there an easy way of checking
vintage?

Buying a one-off from a home user flogging a single PC, who knows how
many relatives computers have the same licence already installed on
them, and whether MS would re-activate it for you if you have problems?

Point taken.

There is an official MS refurbishers scheme, if you want the
re-assurance of a brand new windows licence.

I have seen E-Bay references to that.

Ta.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote

In message sting.com,
Jabba writes
Tim Lamb wrote

Right, if you have all finished stressing about Scotland.... back to my
computer problems.

As has been pointed out, Towers with Windows 7/32bit are readily
available on the refurbished market.

What problems am I likely to run into attempting to transfer software
for which I do not have installation discs. Clonezilla was suggested.

Also, will such m/cs have licensed software such that MS will continue
upgrading/fixing?

Kindly bear in mind my lack of geekyness:-)

What software do you want to transfer.

Umm.. Turnpike although there is a fair bit of *knowledge* on how to do
this from previous moves.

I had the impression you had a shedload of paid for programs like Office
that needed installing. You've nothing that can't be replaced by a
freeware program.

Turnpike is old. Demon have given up on it. Do you want to keep old
emails, the address book etc? Suggest you clean off your printer or
copy stuff to text files.

http://help.demon.net/announcements/...urnpike-email-
client/

There are free alternatives to Turnpike such as Thunderbird, which can
be used for mail and usenet. Many former Turnpike have transferred to
other software.

I guess the obvious is a working browser so I can fetch the rest.

Three or four free browsers that you can download the install files now
and transfer to you new pc by burning a CD or using a memory stick. One
trick is to download a portable version of a browser that will run off a
memory stick. Get one of them, install it and test run it on your
current pc.

Nero came with the current m/c. I have a Norton account with 2 more free
installs so that should be OK. Spybot etc.

I'd not touch either Norton or Nero. There are several free anti-virus
programs that don't **** your computer when they are installed. For
instance Avira.
CD/DVD/Bluray burner - Burnaware free, Anyburn. Both small, easy to use
programs, not bloatware like Nero.

Do you have a firewall ? Comodo is free and okay.

Spybot, Malewarebytes, Superantispyware, crapcleaner, defraggler etc etc
can all be downloaded now and installed before you connect to the
interweb.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote

Ah! This might be the stumbling block. How much is a licensed copy of
Windows 7/32?

Win7 - 64 bit - £40 on Ebay.

HP Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit SP1 Full Version & Coa
Product Key

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:

Andy Burns writes:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171424219178
That's about a 5 year old model

Are they all likely to be that old? Is there an easy way of checking
vintage?

The clue on those ones is that it is a "Pentium D" which pre-dates the
Core and Core Duo processors, and the current Core2 processors, likely
to be a bit more power hungry if leaving it on 24x7.

Some of these "refurbs" are machines from a large corporate that have
been used, abused and replaced, then someone's bought up the job lot and
made 50 usable ones from 100 half-dead ones.

Some might be brand new old stock that's been sat in a warehouse or a
cupboard as spares for 5 years.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/09/14 10:54, Chris French wrote:
In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
On 20/09/14 08:34, Tim Lamb wrote:
What software do you want to transfer.

Umm.. Turnpike although there is a fair bit of *knowledge* on how to do
this from previous moves.

I guess the obvious is a working browser so I can fetch the rest.

why not be adventurous, and install linux mint, and then see if
turnpike will run under WINE?

Turnpike 6 (which Tim is using) doesn't run under WINE

well virtualbox then.

But transferring that will be easy enough, if Tim doesn't have it,
though the installation file isn't available anymore from Demon I don't
think, there are still copies around

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/09/2014 11:24, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Andy
Burns writes
Tim Lamb wrote:

Michael Chare writes:

[...]

Aria is a Manchester-based supplier that gives a 12-month warranty on
refurbs e.g.
HP DC7700 Core 2 Duo Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit SFF PC, £71.99.
HD Intel Graphics, 2.13GHz E6400 Core 2 Duo CPU, 2GB DDR2, 80GB HDD,
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional & 1 Year Warranty.
http://tinyurl.com/nqpvjwu

I used to use Aria refurbs to supply my small business customers who
needed very basic office PCs and couldn't/wouldn't afford new stuff.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message sting.com,
Jabba writes
Tim Lamb wrote

In message sting.com,
Jabba writes
Tim Lamb wrote

Right, if you have all finished stressing about Scotland.... back to my
computer problems.

As has been pointed out, Towers with Windows 7/32bit are readily
available on the refurbished market.

What problems am I likely to run into attempting to transfer software
for which I do not have installation discs. Clonezilla was suggested.

Also, will such m/cs have licensed software such that MS will continue
upgrading/fixing?

Kindly bear in mind my lack of geekyness:-)

What software do you want to transfer.

Umm.. Turnpike although there is a fair bit of *knowledge* on how to do
this from previous moves.

I had the impression you had a shedload of paid for programs like Office
that needed installing. You've nothing that can't be replaced by a
freeware program.

Only office 97 and I still have the CD for that.

Turnpike is old. Demon have given up on it. Do you want to keep old
emails, the address book etc? Suggest you clean off your printer or
copy stuff to text files.

I guess it is the hoarder element in me. 8 years worth of *stuff*
laboriously typed (I haven't progressed beyond one finger) lost to
posterity!

http://help.demon.net/announcements/...urnpike-email-
client/

There are free alternatives to Turnpike such as Thunderbird, which can
be used for mail and usenet. Many former Turnpike have transferred to
other software.

Yes.

I guess the obvious is a working browser so I can fetch the rest.

Three or four free browsers that you can download the install files now
and transfer to you new pc by burning a CD or using a memory stick. One
trick is to download a portable version of a browser that will run off a
memory stick. Get one of them, install it and test run it on your
current pc.

Umm.. So if I download the installation files for Mozilla and save to
CD/stick I can use that to fire up the replacement M/C?

Nero came with the current m/c. I have a Norton account with 2 more free
installs so that should be OK. Spybot etc.

I'd not touch either Norton or Nero. There are several free anti-virus
programs that don't **** your computer when they are installed. For
instance Avira.
CD/DVD/Bluray burner - Burnaware free, Anyburn. Both small, easy to use
programs, not bloatware like Nero.

OK

Do you have a firewall ? Comodo is free and okay.

Not other than Norton or Windows

Spybot, Malewarebytes, Superantispyware, crapcleaner, defraggler etc etc
can all be downloaded now and installed before you connect to the
interweb.

Right. So download on current m/c using Norton to check source site
safety and then transfer to new job with memory stick?

This might be doable:-)

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Lamb wrote:
As has been pointed out, Towers with Windows 7/32bit are readily
available on the refurbished market.

What problems am I likely to run into attempting to transfer software
for which I do not have installation discs. Clonezilla was suggested.

If you already have a Win7 machine with the software you want, cloning its
hard disc and fitting that to another machine can work - although you'll
likely have go through the hoops of making Windows happy about this.

I don't think it's possible to simply transfer any software into another
Windows installation - you'll need the original installation discs.

--
*Shin: a device for finding furniture in the dark *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote

In message sting.com,
Jabba writes
Tim Lamb wrote

In message sting.com,
Jabba writes
Tim Lamb wrote

Right, if you have all finished stressing about Scotland.... back to my
computer problems.

As has been pointed out, Towers with Windows 7/32bit are readily
available on the refurbished market.

What problems am I likely to run into attempting to transfer software
for which I do not have installation discs. Clonezilla was suggested.

Also, will such m/cs have licensed software such that MS will continue
upgrading/fixing?

Kindly bear in mind my lack of geekyness:-)

What software do you want to transfer.

Umm.. Turnpike although there is a fair bit of *knowledge* on how to do
this from previous moves.

I had the impression you had a shedload of paid for programs like Office
that needed installing. You've nothing that can't be replaced by a
freeware program.

Only office 97 and I still have the CD for that.

You could move to a free office program like Open Office, which will use
up to date document formats.

Turnpike is old. Demon have given up on it. Do you want to keep old
emails, the address book etc? Suggest you clean off your printer or
copy stuff to text files.

I guess it is the hoarder element in me. 8 years worth of *stuff*
laboriously typed (I haven't progressed beyond one finger) lost to
posterity!

I had a similar amount of stuff on a mail program that wouldn't work on
my newer OS - I kept a copy of the files, but I've never looked at them
since.
I did a touch typing course years ago, well worth the effort in the time
I've saved since.

http://help.demon.net/announcements/...urnpike-email-
client/

There are free alternatives to Turnpike such as Thunderbird, which can
be used for mail and usenet. Many former Turnpike have transferred to
other software.

Yes.

I guess the obvious is a working browser so I can fetch the rest.

Three or four free browsers that you can download the install files now
and transfer to you new pc by burning a CD or using a memory stick. One
trick is to download a portable version of a browser that will run off a
memory stick. Get one of them, install it and test run it on your
current pc.

Umm.. So if I download the installation files for Mozilla and save to
CD/stick I can use that to fire up the replacement M/C?

M/C ? You've lost me.

With a new pc, you format the hard drive, install Windows and then
install programs. If you have a stick or CD with programs on them, it
saves you needing to go online before you've have your safety belt of
firewall and antivirus installed.

Nero came with the current m/c. I have a Norton account with 2 more free
installs so that should be OK. Spybot etc.

I'd not touch either Norton or Nero. There are several free anti-virus
programs that don't **** your computer when they are installed. For
instance Avira.
CD/DVD/Bluray burner - Burnaware free, Anyburn. Both small, easy to use
programs, not bloatware like Nero.

OK

Do you have a firewall ? Comodo is free and okay.

Not other than Norton or Windows

Spybot, Malewarebytes, Superantispyware, crapcleaner, defraggler etc etc
can all be downloaded now and installed before you connect to the
interweb.

Right. So download on current m/c using Norton to check source site
safety and then transfer to new job with memory stick?

This might be doable:-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message sting.com,
Jabba writes

Turnpike is old. Demon have given up on it. Do you want to keep old
emails, the address book etc? Suggest you clean off your printer or
copy stuff to text files.

http://help.demon.net/announcements/...urnpike-email-
client/

There are free alternatives to Turnpike such as Thunderbird, which can
be used for mail and usenet. Many former Turnpike have transferred to
other software.

I'm not sure that I would encourage anyone to move from Turnpike. One of
its great advantages now is that because it's obsolescent, it doesn't
keep changing, unlike Thunderbird.
Here I run Thunderbird and Pan for some news, but all my main email and
news stays on Turnpike, simply because it works superbly, does exactly
what I want and has all the old emails. I do find that I now and again
need to look up some old email or some activation info for some program
that needs to be moved to a new machine.
Maybe it won't go on for ever, but I'm even prepared to run a virtual
machine just to keep it going on 64-bit Win7 or 8.
--
Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill wrote:
In message sting.com,
Jabba writes

[...]

Your situation is presumably different but the lack of IMAP access in
Turnpike completely rules it out for me.

I now use Thunderbird, and yes, I copied all my old emails from Turnpike
quite easily.

Having got used to Thunderbird I much prefer it to Turnpike, overall.
There are of course areas in which Turnpike is better, but nowhere near
enough to make me regret moving.

--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Tim Lamb
scribeth thus
In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
On 20/09/14 08:34, Tim Lamb wrote:
What software do you want to transfer.

Umm.. Turnpike although there is a fair bit of *knowledge* on how to do
this from previous moves.

I guess the obvious is a working browser so I can fetch the rest.

why not be adventurous, and install linux mint, and then see if
turnpike will run under WINE?

I believe the later versions connect using Windows. Some users advocate
falling back to the 5.02 issue but I think you are still stuck with the
32bit limitation.

5.02 does work under Win 7 only 32 bit tho and I believe it does run
under WINE..

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Tim Lamb
scribeth thus
In message sting.com,
Jabba writes
Tim Lamb wrote

In message sting.com,
Jabba writes
Tim Lamb wrote

Right, if you have all finished stressing about Scotland.... back to my
computer problems.

As has been pointed out, Towers with Windows 7/32bit are readily
available on the refurbished market.

What problems am I likely to run into attempting to transfer software
for which I do not have installation discs. Clonezilla was suggested.

Also, will such m/cs have licensed software such that MS will continue
upgrading/fixing?

Kindly bear in mind my lack of geekyness:-)

What software do you want to transfer.

Umm.. Turnpike although there is a fair bit of *knowledge* on how to do
this from previous moves.

I had the impression you had a shedload of paid for programs like Office
that needed installing. You've nothing that can't be replaced by a
freeware program.

Only office 97 and I still have the CD for that.

Download this one, its free and is a very good compatible clone of
Office..

http://www.kingsoftstore.co.uk/download/

Turnpike is old. Demon have given up on it. Do you want to keep old
emails, the address book etc? Suggest you clean off your printer or
copy stuff to text files.

I guess it is the hoarder element in me. 8 years worth of *stuff*
laboriously typed (I haven't progressed beyond one finger) lost to
posterity!

http://help.demon.net/announcements/...urnpike-email-
client/

There are free alternatives to Turnpike such as Thunderbird, which can
be used for mail and usenet. Many former Turnpike have transferred to
other software.

Yep but none are quite as good as TP

Especially news readers...

I'd not touch either Norton or Nero. There are several free anti-virus
programs that don't **** your computer when they are installed. For
instance Avira.
CD/DVD/Bluray burner - Burnaware free, Anyburn. Both small, easy to use
programs, not bloatware like Nero.

Microsoft SE is quite good as at the other alluded to below..

Spybot, Malewarebytes, Superantispyware, crapcleaner, defraggler etc etc
can all be downloaded now and installed before you connect to the
interweb.

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Bill
scribeth thus
In message sting.com,
Jabba writes

[...]

+1 !...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Mike Barnes
writes
Bill wrote:
In message sting.com,
Jabba writes

[...]

Indeed, that was why I stopped using Turnpike (except for news, which I
don't read so much nowadays, but do for a few groups, and can't be
bothered to find soemthign else when Turnpike works fine for that)

I now use Thunderbird, and yes, I copied all my old emails from
Turnpike quite easily.

Having got used to Thunderbird I much prefer it to Turnpike, overall.
There are of course areas in which Turnpike is better, but nowhere near
enough to make me regret moving.

I did intall Thunderbird, I never quite got on with it for some reason.
It still runs here, but mostly just to keep a local copy of emails.

I mostly read and send emails on my phone nowadays though. Unless it's
long enough to be worth using a proper keyboard for.
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Huge
writes
On 2014-09-20, Tim Lamb wrote:

Oh! Technical. Is there anywhere you can *experience* linux without
jumping in with both feet?

Yes. All the main distros offer a "Live CD". Download the distro, burn
a DVD (which you can do under Windows), then boot the DVD. It won't touch
your hard drive. It will run rather slowly, but it will give you a feel
for the software.

OK. I have writable CD or plugable memory

Alternatively, install Virtual Box under Windows and run Linux as a guest
machine.

Prolly only 10 gig spare on the hard drive.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , tony sayer
writes

I'm not sure that I would encourage anyone to move from Turnpike. One of
its great advantages now is that because it's obsolescent, it doesn't
keep changing, unlike Thunderbird.
Here I run Thunderbird and Pan for some news, but all my main email and
news stays on Turnpike, simply because it works superbly, does exactly
what I want and has all the old emails. I do find that I now and again
need to look up some old email or some activation info for some program
that needs to be moved to a new machine.
Maybe it won't go on for ever, but I'm even prepared to run a virtual
machine just to keep it going on 64-bit Win7 or 8.

+1 !...

+2 :-)

Tim, I have various Turnpike installation files tucked away. Shout if
you need one by e-mail. I also have the instructions for moving TP from
one machine to another, although that is also within the TP help files.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Huge
writes
On 2014-09-20, Tim Lamb wrote:

Oh! Technical. Is there anywhere you can *experience* linux without
jumping in with both feet?

Yes. All the main distros offer a "Live CD". Download the distro, burn
a DVD (which you can do under Windows), then boot the DVD. It won't touch
your hard drive. It will run rather slowly, but it will give you a feel
for the software.

OK. I have writable CD or plugable memory

Alternatively, install Virtual Box under Windows and run Linux as a guest
machine.

Prolly only 10 gig spare on the hard drive.

that is JUST enough for a basic Linux mint install *alongside* windows,
for dual boot

I've got a pretty full install here and its about 10GB

excluding windows virtual machine and any large user data.

Bare install is about 5GB

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/09/2014 21:15, Tim Lamb wrote:

Right, if you have all finished stressing about Scotland.... back to my
computer problems.

As has been pointed out, Towers with Windows 7/32bit are readily
available on the refurbished market.

What problems am I likely to run into attempting to transfer software
for which I do not have installation discs. Clonezilla was suggested.

Much depends on the software in question...

MS have got their act together on this recently, and so long as you have
the key code that came with the software (or can extract it from the
installed version*) they will let you download and install it again in
many cases with the slight inconvenience of needing (or having to
create) a Microsoft account.

(Magical Jellybean and Produkey will between them do all versions of
office up to 2010)

Other manufacturers may also have legally downloadable versions.

After that, illegally acquiring and ISO of the install CD is probably
the next easiest for other titles.

To actually transfer from an existing install to another is somewhat
more geeky - it can be done but can get complicated and need tools to
sniff file and registry accesses to work out what dependencies the
application has.

Also, will such m/cs have licensed software such that MS will continue
upgrading/fixing?

They will usually have windows since that will be licensed to the
machine and not the owner. Other applications are less likely to be legit.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , News
writes
In message , tony sayer
writes

[...]

OK. Thanks. I have 5.02 tucked away safely and tick *keep* on any
related posts in d.i.s.t I managed to transfer this version without
any major glitches. I have *entire* as a shortcut on my desktop and
managed a *repair installation* job recently.

I have a lot of important correspondence pending (probate job) and find
noisy hard drives a little frightening:-)

To the semi-literate, computer speak is a mystery minefield.
--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/09/2014 12:00, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message sting.com,
Jabba writes
Tim Lamb wrote

In message sting.com,
Jabba writes
Tim Lamb wrote

[...]

Anything older than Office 2003 can have problems with Win 7 and later
(unless you want to start playing with virtual machines etc)

I guess the obvious is a working browser so I can fetch the rest.

Three or four free browsers that you can download the install files now
and transfer to you new pc by burning a CD or using a memory stick. One
trick is to download a portable version of a browser that will run off a
memory stick. Get one of them, install it and test run it on your
current pc.

Umm.. So if I download the installation files for Mozilla and save to
CD/stick I can use that to fire up the replacement M/C?

Yup you could, alternatively just run the MS browser choice app and it
will download whatever browser you want (or just use IE and download
what you want).

Nero came with the current m/c. I have a Norton account with 2 more free
installs so that should be OK. Spybot etc.

I'd not touch either Norton or Nero. There are several free anti-virus
programs that don't **** your computer when they are installed. For
instance Avira.
CD/DVD/Bluray burner - Burnaware free, Anyburn. Both small, easy to use
programs, not bloatware like Nero.

OK

Do you have a firewall ? Comodo is free and okay.

Win 7 has a built in firewall which is adequate for basic intrusion
protection, chances are however you are connecting via a router which
includes one anyway.

Not other than Norton or Windows

Spybot, Malewarebytes, Superantispyware, crapcleaner, defraggler etc etc
can all be downloaded now and installed before you connect to the
interweb.

Right. So download on current m/c using Norton to check source site
safety and then transfer to new job with memory stick?

TBH, as long as you get them from the manufacturers sites there is
little hard in downloading them on the new platform.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , nemo
writes
Aria is a Manchester-based supplier that gives a 12-month warranty on
refurbs e.g.
HP DC7700 Core 2 Duo Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit SFF PC, £71.99.
HD Intel Graphics, 2.13GHz E6400 Core 2 Duo CPU, 2GB DDR2, 80GB HDD,
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional & 1 Year Warranty.
http://tinyurl.com/nqpvjwu

I used to use Aria refurbs to supply my small business customers who
needed very basic office PCs and couldn't/wouldn't afford new stuff.

I do think with any refurbished machine you might need to check the
exact spec.
For example my son ended up with a pile of Dell machines in his kitchen
after a change in his business. I brought one round here as it looked
ideal for what I wanted.
It came with a different monitor connector from the standard old
fashioned ones I use. OK he found me an adapter. Then it only had usb
for keyboard and mouse. At that stage I put it to one side as the KVM
setup I have here used "proper" keyboard and mouse connectors to let me
run the 4 desktops with the one mouse keyboard combo.

This might not be a problem, but it is something to think about and be
aware of.
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 20 Sep 2014 11:16:50 +0100, Tim Lamb
wrote:

Oh! Technical. Is there anywhere you can *experience* linux without
jumping in with both feet?

Nearly all the distros will do a try-before-install boot up and run
from a CD, albeit slower as it accesses the steam-age device. It's
actually quite useful.
I was so ****ed off with Windows last year I jumped into
Lubuntu/Kbuntu and ended up with a very nice installation that was the
******* child of both, that I really enjoyed using. The only thing
that ****ed me off was the lack of working of the satellite card and
the utterly useless, worse than a barrowload of ****-smeared monkeys,
media suite, XBMC. That, and a couldn't be arsed with the Linux
equivalents of uTorrent and a couple of other things, but they were
relatively minor.
This time around, I'll put a Linux guest via Virtual Box on Win7/64
and retain my sat card on the host, while getting the Linux web access
I liked.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/09/2014 17:36, Bill wrote:

I do think with any refurbished machine you might need to check the
exact spec.
For example my son ended up with a pile of Dell machines in his kitchen
after a change in his business. I brought one round here as it looked
ideal for what I wanted.
It came with a different monitor connector from the standard old
fashioned ones I use. OK he found me an adapter. Then it only had usb
for keyboard and mouse. At that stage I put it to one side as the KVM
setup I have here used "proper" keyboard and mouse connectors to let me
run the 4 desktops with the one mouse keyboard combo.

KVM is a bit 1990s isn't it? One computer you're using, RDP or X or
whatever to get to the others.

Though the other question is what are the four doing that a single one
or single + server can't do?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Oh! Technical. Is there anywhere you can *experience* linux without
jumping in with both feet?

Nearly all the distros will do a try-before-install boot up and run
from a CD, albeit slower as it accesses the steam-age device. It's
actually quite useful.
I was so ****ed off with Windows last year I jumped into
Lubuntu/Kbuntu and ended up with a very nice installation that was the
******* child of both, that I really enjoyed using.##

No a bad combo.

I like mint persobally but tjose are close

The only thing
that ****ed me off was the lack of working of the satellite card and
the utterly useless, worse than a barrowload of ****-smeared monkeys,
media suite, XBMC.

? satellite card? for saqtallite TV?

Most of those work fine - Ive got digital TV going fine -0 though
sometimes you need a firmware driver.

XMBC is vile. I use Kaffeine which should fit Kubuntu perfectly.

That, and a couldn't be arsed with the Linux
equivalents of uTorrent and a couple of other things, but they were
relatively minor.

Same here.

This time around, I'll put a Linux guest via Virtual Box on Win7/64
and retain my sat card on the host, while getting the Linux web access
I liked.

what card is it? as I say I managed to get mine working OK.