Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Lamb[_2_] Tim Lamb[_2_] is offline

Default The continuing hard drive worries.

In message , Michael Chare
writes
On 19/09/2014 21:15, Tim Lamb wrote:
Right, if you have all finished stressing about Scotland.... back to my
computer problems.

As has been pointed out, Towers with Windows 7/32bit are readily
available on the refurbished market.

What problems am I likely to run into attempting to transfer software
for which I do not have installation discs. Clonezilla was suggested.

Also, will such m/cs have licensed software such that MS will continue
upgrading/fixing?

Kindly bear in mind my lack of geekyness:-)

Are you trying to transfer the license from a machine that you have now
or from one that you are buying?

Understanding error:-)

The refurbished m/c would be purchased with a working Windows 7
installation.

A full retail license that you buy by itself on DVDs is normally
transferable to a different computer. You might have to do a tedious
telephone activation.

A license that is sold with a new computer is normally not
transferable. You might be able be able to argue that re-registration
is necessary because some part has failed.

Ah! This might be the stumbling block. How much is a licensed copy of
Windows 7/32?

--
Tim Lamb