Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jabba Jabba is offline

Default The continuing hard drive worries.

Tim Lamb wrote

In message sting.com,
Jabba writes
Tim Lamb wrote

Right, if you have all finished stressing about Scotland.... back to my
computer problems.

As has been pointed out, Towers with Windows 7/32bit are readily
available on the refurbished market.

What problems am I likely to run into attempting to transfer software
for which I do not have installation discs. Clonezilla was suggested.

Also, will such m/cs have licensed software such that MS will continue
upgrading/fixing?

Kindly bear in mind my lack of geekyness:-)

What software do you want to transfer.

Umm.. Turnpike although there is a fair bit of *knowledge* on how to do
this from previous moves.

I had the impression you had a shedload of paid for programs like Office
that needed installing. You've nothing that can't be replaced by a
freeware program.

Turnpike is old. Demon have given up on it. Do you want to keep old
emails, the address book etc? Suggest you clean off your printer or
copy stuff to text files.

http://help.demon.net/announcements/...urnpike-email-
client/

There are free alternatives to Turnpike such as Thunderbird, which can
be used for mail and usenet. Many former Turnpike have transferred to
other software.

I guess the obvious is a working browser so I can fetch the rest.

Three or four free browsers that you can download the install files now
and transfer to you new pc by burning a CD or using a memory stick. One
trick is to download a portable version of a browser that will run off a
memory stick. Get one of them, install it and test run it on your
current pc.

Nero came with the current m/c. I have a Norton account with 2 more free
installs so that should be OK. Spybot etc.

I'd not touch either Norton or Nero. There are several free anti-virus
programs that don't **** your computer when they are installed. For
instance Avira.
CD/DVD/Bluray burner - Burnaware free, Anyburn. Both small, easy to use
programs, not bloatware like Nero.

Do you have a firewall ? Comodo is free and okay.

Spybot, Malewarebytes, Superantispyware, crapcleaner, defraggler etc etc
can all be downloaded now and installed before you connect to the
interweb.