Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grimly Curmudgeon[_3_] Grimly Curmudgeon[_3_] is offline

Default The continuing hard drive worries.

On Sat, 20 Sep 2014 11:16:50 +0100, Tim Lamb
wrote:

Oh! Technical. Is there anywhere you can *experience* linux without
jumping in with both feet?

Nearly all the distros will do a try-before-install boot up and run
from a CD, albeit slower as it accesses the steam-age device. It's
actually quite useful.
I was so ****ed off with Windows last year I jumped into
Lubuntu/Kbuntu and ended up with a very nice installation that was the
******* child of both, that I really enjoyed using. The only thing
that ****ed me off was the lack of working of the satellite card and
the utterly useless, worse than a barrowload of ****-smeared monkeys,
media suite, XBMC. That, and a couldn't be arsed with the Linux
equivalents of uTorrent and a couple of other things, but they were
relatively minor.
This time around, I'll put a Linux guest via Virtual Box on Win7/64
and retain my sat card on the host, while getting the Linux web access
I liked.