Posted to uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.repair

Default A tale of a cheapo ink cartridge ...

For a long time, my primary printer has been an HP Photosmart series
all-in-one. It's a 6 ink job, which makes it expensive to replace inks if
you use the genuine HP article. So, for several years, I have been using
cheapo eBay inks. They come from China originally, and the most recent ones
I have been using, have translucent cases so you can even see how much ink
is actually in them. They are high capacity cartridges, and the chip on them
says so correctly. I have never had a problem with the printer failing to
recognise them as a high capacity cartridge of the correct colour, and the
usage indicator seems to remain accurate.

So, a couple of weeks ago, I come down in the morning, and it's sitting
there saying "copy abandoned", and the exclamation mark LED is flashing.
Sure enough, one of the missus's documents is in the top that she's
obviously been trying to copy before going to work. So I try the cancel
button - nothing. Nor the on / off button. No buttons work, so I pop the
power, just expecting to get the usual lashing for not turning it off
properly. But no. As soon as it gets going, it tells me that "The following
ink cartridges appear to be missing... " That would be all six of them,
then ...

Nothing would recover it from this. I had a trawl around on the net, and
there was a number of mentions of a couple of caps that bulge on the main
board, so I dived in to check, and yes ! there was one of them. I checked
its ESR for sport, and it was out the window. I stuck a new one in,
expecting all to be well, but it was just the same :-(

A friend lent me a printer in the meantime, while I had a think about this
one. Another friend is a pro photographer, and he has one of these HPs also,
and I knew that he only used genuine inks, so I rang him and asked if he
happened to have any empties laying about. He did, as he takes them back to
Staples, who give you half off in exchange. He came over today with a bag of
them, so I started by taking all of my cartridges out. As expected, it told
me that all of the cartridges were missing, so I put in an empty colour one
and restarted it. This time, it told me that only five were missing, and the
one that I had just put in was nearly empty and should be replaced soon.

One by one, I added 'empty' genuine cartridges, and each time, it read the
cartridge ok. I eventually got to a full house, and all was well. So one by
one, I put my cheapo cartridges back in, and all remained ok, until the very
last one, dark magenta, when back came the message that all six cartridges
were missing. I went and got another from my stock and put it in, and all
was still ok.

So I'm guessing that the comms to these cartridges are just a simple 2 wire
bus, and each colour just has its own address to allow the processor to read
them individually. I'm also guessing that the faulty dark magenta cartridge,
must have a short on one of the bus lines so that when the processor issues
the addresses in sequence to read each cartridge at boot up, none of them
are able to reply so the machine assumes that they are not present.

How easy it would have been for the printer to have just got chucked in the
bin, for what was ultimately a simple problem ...

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.repair

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message ...

How easy it would have been for the printer to have just got chucked
in the bin, for what was ultimately a simple problem ...

The problem was simple, but look at the effort to correctly diagnose it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 14 Jul 2014 02:22:06 +0100, "Arfa Daily"
wrote:

How easy it would have been for the printer to have just got chucked in the
bin, for what was ultimately a simple problem ...

Find the model number of your HP ink sprayer and perform the reset
cerimony. It's usually something like holding down 2 buttons on the
front panel, while straining your back trying to find plug in the
power cord. The printer will lose all its saved settings, but at
least it will work. Also, there may be a soft reset, similar to a
power cycle. If available, try that first. I think it also loads a
backup image of the firmware, so you might need to update that from
the HP web pile. Maybe one of these:
http://www.out-of-warranty.com/how-to-reset-hewlett-packard-hp-all-in-one-printers/

Drivel: One of my customers recently cleaned up his garage and gave
me 5 different HP inkjet printers to recycle. They range in age from
about 10 to 2 years ago. All of them had some stupid problem relating
to cheap construction, crappy drivers, miserable firmware, and leaky
ink carts. My favorite are the one's the claim the ink has "expired"
even though the cartridge is full.

They should take back HP's only award for ecologically correct inkjet
printers:
http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/press_kits/environment/awards.html
GREENBEST 2011. The MFP HP F4480 printer was named the winner
of a GREENBEST award in Brazil. The printer was chosen based
on its environmentally sound design, use of recycled plastics
in both the printer and HP cartridges, and its ENERGY STAR®
certification.
Retch.

Incidentally, unplug the switching power supply for a minute as those
ocassionally get hung and do strange things.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Posted to uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.repair

Yes this sort of thing is often never explained. It does explain why some
people find working devices in recycling centres, I'm sure.
Not enough time spent in diagnosis.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Arfa Daily" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.repair

Ahe but we used to call this kind of thing stock faults in that once
encountered it would be written up and published for others to find and save
time down the line.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message
"Arfa Daily" wrote in message ...
How easy it would have been for the printer to have just got chucked
in the bin, for what was ultimately a simple problem ...

The problem was simple, but look at the effort to correctly diagnose it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.repair

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message ...
How easy it would have been for the printer to have just got chucked
in the bin, for what was ultimately a simple problem ...

The problem was simple, but look at the effort to correctly diagnose it.

As is ever the case with our game, William ?? An open circuit resistor is a
'simple' problem, but might take hours to locate. As it was my own, and my
time is my own, in this case I thought it was worth it ...

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.repair

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
Ahe but we used to call this kind of thing stock faults in that once
encountered it would be written up and published for others to find and
save time down the line.
Brian

Quite so, Brian, which is why I bothered to tell the story to all the good
folk on these two groups ... :-)

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

How easy it would have been for the printer to have just got chucked in
the
bin, for what was ultimately a simple problem ...

Find the model number of your HP ink sprayer and perform the reset
cerimony. It's usually something like holding down 2 buttons on the
front panel, while straining your back trying to find plug in the
power cord. The printer will lose all its saved settings, but at
least it will work. Also, there may be a soft reset, similar to a
power cycle. If available, try that first. I think it also loads a
backup image of the firmware, so you might need to update that from
the HP web pile. Maybe one of these:
http://www.out-of-warranty.com/how-to-reset-hewlett-packard-hp-all-in-one-printers/

I went through all the hard and soft resets first, of course Jeff, but to no
avail. Then I found the bad cap of which there is plenty of tell on the net.
But as I said at the end, the ultimate problem turned out to be the chip
itself on the dark magenta cartridge. The problem looked for all the world
like it was related to the printer hardware, when all the time, it was an
electronic problem with a cartridge.

Incidentally, it's a C5180

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.repair

On 14/07/14 09:08, Brian Gaff wrote:
we used to call this kind of thing stock faults in that once
encountered it would be written up and published for others to find and save
time down the line.

Except of course that the time to fix often exceeds the cost to replace.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher scribbled...

On 14/07/14 09:08, Brian Gaff wrote:
we used to call this kind of thing stock faults in that once
encountered it would be written up and published for others to find and save
time down the line.

Except of course that the time to fix often exceeds the cost to replace.

Are you unable to think 'long term' ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/07/14 10:41, Jabba wrote:
The Natural Philosopher scribbled...

On 14/07/14 09:08, Brian Gaff wrote:
we used to call this kind of thing stock faults in that once
encountered it would be written up and published for others to find and save
time down the line.

Except of course that the time to fix often exceeds the cost to replace.

Are you unable to think 'long term' ?

I am at a loss to understand your irrelevance.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 14 July 2014 10:41:34 UTC+1, Jabba wrote:
The Natural Philosopher scribbled...

On 14/07/14 09:08, Brian Gaff wrote:

we used to call this kind of thing stock faults in that once

encountered it would be written up and published for others to find and save

time down the line.

Except of course that the time to fix often exceeds the cost to replace.

Are you unable to think 'long term' ?

In the long term somethimes is best to throw something out that keeps going wrong.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/07/14 10:41, Jabba wrote:
The Natural Philosopher scribbled...

On 14/07/14 09:08, Brian Gaff wrote:
we used to call this kind of thing stock faults in that once
encountered it would be written up and published for others to find and save
time down the line.

Except of course that the time to fix often exceeds the cost to replace.

Are you unable to think 'long term' ?

I am at a loss to understand your irrelevance.

Of course you don't understand. I didn't expect you to.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/07/14 10:41, Jabba wrote:
The Natural Philosopher scribbled...

On 14/07/14 09:08, Brian Gaff wrote:
we used to call this kind of thing stock faults in that once
encountered it would be written up and published for others to find and save
time down the line.

Except of course that the time to fix often exceeds the cost to replace.

Are you unable to think 'long term' ?

I am at a loss to understand your irrelevance.

Of course you don't understand. I didn't expect you to.

Mice make many droppings

Posted to uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.repair

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message ...

How easy it would have been for the printer to have just got chucked
in the bin, for what was ultimately a simple problem ...

The problem was simple, but look at the effort to correctly diagnose it.

As is ever the case with our game, William ?? An open circuit resistor is
a 'simple' problem, but might take hours to locate. As it was my own,
and my time is my own, in this case I thought it was worth it ...

No criticism was intended. (I've been through this sort of thing more times
than I care to admit.) Rather, I was trying to draw a contrast between the
simplicity of the problem and the difficulty resolving it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.repair

"Jeff Liebermann" wrote in message

Drivel: One of my customers recently cleaned up his garage and gave
me 5 different HP inkjet printers to recycle. They ranged in age from
about 10 to 2 years ago. All of them had some stupid problem relating
to cheap construction, crappy drivers, miserable firmware, and leaky
ink carts. My favorite are the ones that claim the ink has "expired"
even though the cartridge is full.

I have no hesitation in expressing my support of large, intrusive government.
And this is one of those case where it's needed.

There ought to be laws regulating the quality of merchandise -- specifically,
how long products should last. * This would do a great deal to reduce waste
and short-term "techno-churn". (Ink-jet printers aren't the only lousy
consumer product. Toasters are generally junk. And let's not talk about shoe
laces.)

The problem is that setting up a regulatory agency to do this bothers me --
yes, bothers me -- because such regulation shouldn't be needed. Businesses
should care enough about quality to make "sturdy" products without having to
be forced to do so. And there was a time -- before so much manufacturing got
outsourced to China -- that they did so.

The only solution is for customers to start complaining loudly and long.

* Technically, there is. The common law warranty of implied merchantability
requires products to be of average for their type. Of course, when every
product in a category is junk, the average sinks to a very low level.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.repair

William Sommerwerck scribbled...

[...]

Vote with your wallet, don't buy inkjets.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.repair

Arfa Daily scribbled...

Yep, that's the style of cartridge, and I think the same as you, two wire
bus plus piezo drive. And yes. Shorted bus was a good one, and certainly
something I wouldn't have suspected right off. Hence why I bothered to tell
all here ! :-)

As you were using cheapo carts, I'm surprised you didn't look at them
first.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.repair

"Jabba" wrote in message
ldhosting.com...

Vote with your wallet, don't buy inkjets.

If you want color, there's no inexpensive alternative. Is there?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave scribbled...

On Monday, 14 July 2014 10:41:34 UTC+1, Jabba wrote:
The Natural Philosopher scribbled...

On 14/07/14 09:08, Brian Gaff wrote:

we used to call this kind of thing stock faults in that once

encountered it would be written up and published for others to find and save

time down the line.

Except of course that the time to fix often exceeds the cost to replace.

Are you unable to think 'long term' ?

In the long term somethimes is best to throw something out that keeps going wrong.

Did you read Brian Gaff's post? I'm assuming he worked for a company
that may have had (for example) many printers. Chucking them out one at
a time if a similar fault developed isn't best practice, when the
solution is easily fixable.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 14 July 2014 13:28:20 UTC+1, William Sommerwerck wrote:
"Jeff Liebermann" wrote in message

Drivel: One of my customers recently cleaned up his garage and gave
me 5 different HP inkjet printers to recycle. They ranged in age from
about 10 to 2 years ago. All of them had some stupid problem relating
to cheap construction, crappy drivers, miserable firmware, and leaky
ink carts. My favorite are the ones that claim the ink has "expired"
even though the cartridge is full.

I have no hesitation in expressing my support of large, intrusive government.
And this is one of those case where it's needed.

There ought to be laws regulating the quality of merchandise -- specifically,
how long products should last.

Almost impossible to do other than change warrenties or guarantees which is already in existance.

* This would do a great deal to reduce waste
and short-term "techno-churn". (Ink-jet printers aren't the only lousy
consumer product. Toasters are generally junk. And let's not talk about shoe
laces.)

then make shoes that tie up with laces illegal :-)

The problem is that setting up a regulatory agency to do this bothers me --
yes, bothers me -- because such regulation shouldn't be needed. Businesses
should care enough about quality to make "sturdy" products without having to
be forced to do so. And there was a time -- before so much manufacturing got
outsourced to China -- that they did so.

The only solution is for customers to start complaining loudly and long.

But that's not what the customer wants.
If that were the case we'd still be putting our fingers in telephone dials and dragging the dial around and waiting for it to return until we did the next number.

* Technically, there is. The common law warranty of implied merchantability
requires products to be of average for their type. Of course, when every
product in a category is junk, the average sinks to a very low level.

Not sure average means anything here.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/07/14 10:41, Jabba wrote:
The Natural Philosopher scribbled...

On 14/07/14 09:08, Brian Gaff wrote:
we used to call this kind of thing stock faults in that once
encountered it would be written up and published for others to find and save
time down the line.

Except of course that the time to fix often exceeds the cost to replace.

Are you unable to think 'long term' ?

I am at a loss to understand your irrelevance.

Of course you don't understand. I didn't expect you to.

Mice make many droppings

You should wear one of them adult nappies.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, July 14, 2014 2:22:06 AM UTC+1, Arfa Daily wrote:
[...]

I've never had satisfactory performance from cheapo cartridges, so have given up on them and pay through the nose for genuine ones now. If I had a lot to print I would buy a mono laser.

Philip
Posted to uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.repair

On 14/07/2014 13:42, William Sommerwerck wrote:
"Jabba" wrote in message
ldhosting.com...

Vote with your wallet, don't buy inkjets.

If you want color, there's no inexpensive alternative. Is there?

Boots and other online printing services. Even cheaper.

If quantity requires then get a colour laser with an eye on the cost of
replacing toner cartridges.

Ink-jets are remarkably unreliable.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.repair

On 14/07/14 13:42, William Sommerwerck wrote:
"Jabba" wrote in message
ldhosting.com...

Vote with your wallet, don't buy inkjets.

If you want color, there's no inexpensive alternative. Is there?

depends on what you mean by 'inexpenbsive'

My HP colour laser is on its third set of cartridges and yes I have
spent more on cartridges than on the printer, but its still not a huge
amount.

Sub £200 for a networked printer than can handle the whole household.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.repair

On 14/07/14 14:07, Fredxxx wrote:
On 14/07/2014 13:42, William Sommerwerck wrote:
"Jabba" wrote in message
ldhosting.com...

Vote with your wallet, don't buy inkjets.

If you want color, there's no inexpensive alternative. Is there?

Boots and other online printing services. Even cheaper.

If quantity requires then get a colour laser with an eye on the cost of
replacing toner cartridges.

Ink-jets are remarkably unreliable.

+1 to all of that. Color laser for proof reading and letters.
Print shop for multiple copies or large prints.
Photo lab for color photos to be wall mounted ..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/07/14 13:43, Jabba wrote:
whisky-dave scribbled...

On Monday, 14 July 2014 10:41:34 UTC+1, Jabba wrote:
The Natural Philosopher scribbled...

On 14/07/14 09:08, Brian Gaff wrote:

we used to call this kind of thing stock faults in that once

encountered it would be written up and published for others to find and save

time down the line.

Except of course that the time to fix often exceeds the cost to replace.

Are you unable to think 'long term' ?

In the long term somethimes is best to throw something out that keeps going wrong.

Did you read Brian Gaff's post? I'm assuming he worked for a company
that may have had (for example) many printers. Chucking them out one at
a time if a similar fault developed isn't best practice, when the
solution is easily fixable.

Doesn't make a jot of difference: I have run companies that had lots of
equipment. If cost to fix cost to replace it gets junked. You can also
write that off against profits.

With skilled staff at £20/hr it doesn't take long to make kit not worth
fixing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.repair

[...]

Vairy interesting..

One wonders if there was One naff cap, then what others are lurking?..

We have a HP Orifice jet K8600 and very good it is to even with the
carts refilled down the road and the only thing is if you let it run out
of paper it will then go into silly sods mode and pull through around 10
sheets at once and drag them out printing a bit on each but it does
after a while settle down.

Odd but..

Its networked which is fine for sharing and does A3 which we sometimes
need and does half decent pints on glossy paper

... All FWIW....
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher scribbled...

On 14/07/14 13:43, Jabba wrote:
whisky-dave scribbled...

[...]

And the cost to the company of the equipment not being available whilst
waiting for a replacement? As for "writing off against profits" - how
many times have you been bankrupt?

With skilled staff at £20/hr it doesn't take long to make kit not worth
fixing.

Wouldn't do to drag them away from Candy Crush eh.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/07/14 15:42, Jabba wrote:
And the cost to the company of the equipment not being available whilst
waiting for a replacement? As for "writing off against profits" - how
many times have you been bankrupt?

usually shipped in faster than any repair.

I have never ever been bankrupt. Nor has any company I have been
involved in at director level plus.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 14 July 2014 13:43:56 UTC+1, Jabba wrote:
whisky-dave scribbled...

Did you read Brian Gaff's post? I'm assuming he worked for a company

that may have had (for example) many printers.

If yuo read it then you wouldn;t need to assume would you ?

Chucking them out one at
a time if a similar fault developed isn't best practice, when the
solution is easily fixable.

depends what you mean by easily fixable.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.repair

William Sommerwerck wrote:
"Jabba" wrote in message
ldhosting.com...

Vote with your wallet, don't buy inkjets.

If you want color, there's no inexpensive alternative. Is there?

Yes, if you want photos and live in the US. Walgreens. Be interesting
to see if they bring that service to Boots in the UK now that they own it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 14 Jul 2014, Brian Gaff wrote:

Yes this sort of thing is often never explained. It does explain why some
people find working devices in recycling centres, I'm sure.
Not enough time spent in diagnosis.
Brian

People throw things out for secondary reasons, they got a new one, they
are moving and decide it's not worth moving the old thing, they think they
own that cable box or whatever and no longer want it.

I found a 60gig iPod 2 or 3 years ago, and when I plugged it in, there was
a message about needing to charge the battery. Wait, that was after I
found a cable and plugged it in. But it didn't charge. SOmeone at the
time mentioned needing a higher current source, but I just put the whole
thing aside. Indeed, the same box the iPod was in also had a soldering
iron, so I assumed someone had been planning to change the battery, and
then backed out.

I came across that iPod again last week, tried it with a "usb charging
cube" and it not only charged up, but plays fine, complete with someone's
music collection, some of which actually interests me. So I assumed,
precisely because this was a good find, that there had to be something
wrong with it. I still can't figure out why someone tossed it.

Michael
Posted to uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.repair

In article ple.org,
Michael Black scribeth thus
[...]

Never mind that .. did you find and Naked selfies;?...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-28264446
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.repair

On 14/07/14 17:25, Jethro_uk wrote:
The in-laws (SWMBO mob) just but the latest of whatever, and give/throw
away the old models. We got a TV, suite, patio set and gas barbeqcue that
way. Nothing wrong with them, except for not being new enough.

Similar here. Got a laptop that was 'making a funny noise'

Had been dropped and CPU fan was rubbing..30 seconds to 'fix'

Posted to uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 14 Jul 2014 05:42:33 -0700, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:

"Jabba" wrote in message
rldhosting.com...

Vote with your wallet, don't buy inkjets.

If you want color, there's no inexpensive alternative. Is there?

Is $150 too much for your budget?
http://www.brothermall.com/Printers/Model/HL3070CW/Refurbished#.U8QQLUC9Y0o
Not the best color laser printer on the planet, but quite cheap.
Figure on about $70 for a set of 4 replacement clone carts on eBay, or
about $200 for brand new retail. The color carts are good for about
1400 pages:
$70 / 1400 = $0.05/page
(I refill my own color carts, which costs me about $32 to refill 4
carts).

A similar ink spraying printer might cost $30 for a set of carts, and
optimistically print 500 pages (usually less).
$30 / 500 = $0.06/page

In other words, the cost of ink/toner is slightly cheaper for the
color laser printer, if you use refilled and clone carts and toner.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Posted to uk.d-i-y,sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 14 Jul 2014 09:07:06 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

Yes this sort of thing is often never explained. It does explain why some
people find working devices in recycling centres, I'm sure.
Not enough time spent in diagnosis.
Brian

No, that's not why such printers get tossed. The problem is that they
cost more than they're worth to repair. I charge $75/hr for shop time
(which I'm told is on the low side). Most customers are not willing
to pay more than about 30% of the price of a new replacement to have
something fixed. Therefore, for a $150 retail printer, I can maybe
charge $50 before the customer will decline the repair. For specialty
items, sometimes they'll pay up to 60% of the replacement cost, but
that's rare. So, what can be done for $50 in labor? Very little.

If someone drags in an inkjet, it almost always requires some level of
cleaning. A laser can be cleaned with compressed air in a few
minutes. An inkjet requires disassembly and hand cleaning with a rag
and solvent that usually takes 60 to 90 minutes (and makes a mess). If
all that was wrong with your AOI inkjet printer, would you pay $75 to
$100 just to have it cleaned? Probably not.

So, the alternative is to just toss it. I pickup a few inkjet
printers for various nefarious purposes at the local recycler.
However, the return rate on inkjets has been so high, that they now go
directly into the dumpster.

Kodak tried to solve the problem by making an expensive inkjet
printer, that used cheap refillable carts. Basically, you pay up
front. It was basically a good idea, and should have worked. However,
they forgot that inkjets are inherently messy. It was a difficult
printer to disassemble and clean, and usually ended up at the
recycler. The few that still know how to operate a cleaning rag just
love them and plan to use them forever:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2011054/kodak-printers-are-gone-but-the-ink-sells-on.html

El cheapo inverter Matty F UK diy 12 March 3rd 11 08:09 AM
Somebody was looking for a cheapo circular saw Red Green Home Repair 5 November 18th 09 12:43 AM
El cheapo paint brushes The Medway Handyman UK diy 89 December 23rd 07 09:24 PM
cheapo mortising machine [email protected] Woodworking 23 May 5th 06 06:37 PM
Cheapo Power Tools Magician UK diy 76 March 28th 05 10:59 PM