Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 24 way connector

Need to be able to terminate 24 cores inside a plastic projects box ...

Lid of box will have display circuitry ... base of box will have
incoming signal cables ...

It makes sense for this connection to be pluggable ... although it would
only be unplugged in event of failure and need to repair.

Current is only a few mA at mains voltage.

One side of connector could be solder connection and one side screwed or
both screw fitting....
Could use something like :
http://www.rapidonline.com/Cables-Co...l-Block-500713

Anybody got a neater way ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/02/14 18:20, Rick Hughes wrote:
Need to be able to terminate 24 cores inside a plastic projects box ...

Lid of box will have display circuitry ... base of box will have
incoming signal cables ...

It makes sense for this connection to be pluggable ... although it would
only be unplugged in event of failure and need to repair.

Current is only a few mA at mains voltage.

One side of connector could be solder connection and one side screwed or
both screw fitting....
Could use something like :
http://www.rapidonline.com/Cables-Co...l-Block-500713

Anybody got a neater way ...

26 way D type??

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/02/14 18:20, Rick Hughes wrote:
Need to be able to terminate 24 cores inside a plastic projects box ...

Lid of box will have display circuitry ... base of box will have
incoming signal cables ...

It makes sense for this connection to be pluggable ... although it would
only be unplugged in event of failure and need to repair.

Current is only a few mA at mains voltage.

One side of connector could be solder connection and one side screwed or
both screw fitting....
Could use something like :
http://www.rapidonline.com/Cables-Co...l-Block-500713

Anybody got a neater way ...

26 way D type??

or 25 even ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

26 way D type??

for 220V AC ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/02/2014 20:02, Huge wrote:

Molex do a 24-way connector.

is it 220V AC suitable, do you have a url ? or ref number

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/02/2014 20:58, Rick Hughes wrote:

26 way D type??

for 220V AC ?

Funnily enough, yes! They are rated for operation at 250V ac.

I had a memory that they were and just wandered over to RS's website to
find a datasheet and confirm it.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/02/2014 20:58, Rick Hughes wrote:

26 way D type??

for 220V AC ?

Many are rated up to 300V RMS surprisingly.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , SteveW
writes
On 06/02/2014 20:58, Rick Hughes wrote:

26 way D type??

for 220V AC ?

Funnily enough, yes! They are rated for operation at 250V ac.

I had a memory that they were and just wandered over to RS's website to
find a datasheet and confirm it.

I think there are issues that go beyond specified working voltage.

AFAIAA they have always had careful qualifications that they are not to
be used for mains interconnect and I am 100% sure that they do not meet
creepage and clearance requirements for mains connected equipment.

To earth or not to earth the shell? There's not enough C&C to meet class
II requirements and I'm not sure about making a D-type body and shell
safe at class I either.

Sorry to be offer only negatives without an alternative solution but the
split terminal block captive within a plastic enclosure may be the
safest way as the serviceable part could be attached to the front panel
and removed from the captive, mains connected cable termination.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/02/2014 21:29, John Rumm wrote:
On 06/02/2014 20:58, Rick Hughes wrote:

26 way D type??

or 220V AC ?

Many are rated up to 300V RMS surprisingly.

I always thought they were comms rated .. suitable up to 48VDC ....
shows you can make wrong assumptions.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'd plump for D connections every time. I've never known them to fail as
the can have jackscrews and good strain reliefs in the backshells.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
On 06/02/14 18:20, Rick Hughes wrote:
Need to be able to terminate 24 cores inside a plastic projects box ...

Lid of box will have display circuitry ... base of box will have
incoming signal cables ...

It makes sense for this connection to be pluggable ... although it would
only be unplugged in event of failure and need to repair.

Current is only a few mA at mains voltage.

One side of connector could be solder connection and one side screwed or
both screw fitting....
Could use something like :
http://www.rapidonline.com/Cables-Co...l-Block-500713

Anybody got a neater way ...

26 way D type??

--
Ineptocracy

lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members
of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded
with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a
diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/02/2014 22:15, fred wrote:

AFAIAA they have always had careful qualifications that they are not to
be used for mains interconnect and I am 100% sure that they do not meet
creepage and clearance requirements for mains connected equipment.

To earth or not to earth the shell? There's not enough C&C to meet class
II requirements and I'm not sure about making a D-type body and shell
safe at class I either.

Sorry to be offer only negatives without an alternative solution but the
split terminal block captive within a plastic enclosure may be the
safest way as the serviceable part could be attached to the front panel
and removed from the captive, mains connected cable termination.

Looks like opt A it is ....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Brian_Gaff wrote:
I'd plump for D connections every time. I've never known them to fail
as the can have jackscrews and good strain reliefs in the backshells.

They are also very good value due to the vast numbers made.

--
*OK, who stopped payment on my reality check?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/02/2014 20:59, Rick Hughes wrote:
On 06/02/2014 20:02, Huge wrote:

Molex do a 24-way connector.

is it 220V AC suitable, do you have a url ? or ref number

Similar to connectors used for ATX motherboards?

These are 600V max voltage,

http://uk.farnell.com/molex/39-28-82...way/dp/1513375
http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/1629520.pdf

--
Adrian C

Name that connector Theo Markettos UK diy 7 May 22nd 15 02:44 PM
Connector ID please Nate Nagel Home Repair 26 September 13th 13 01:16 AM
Pan connector Tom Pickles[_2_] UK diy 7 January 11th 11 10:51 AM
Connector for MC? Ted[_9_] Home Repair 4 June 11th 08 04:34 AM
BSP Connector Help [email protected] UK diy 3 June 16th 05 12:16 PM