Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Telegraph pole stay

On Fri, 24 Jan 2014 19:15:14 +0000, Steve wrote:

And that, my friend, is the crux of the matter. If you really must
have it moved, don't be tempted to do anything silly during the night
or to do something surreptitiously - do it officially and properly by
contacting BT. You don't know the condition of the part of the pole
that's in the ground

I don't even want to consider what the preservatives on these things is
- but the poles that were removed from here the other day - after 51
years in the ground - were _perfect_.

They often are, but I've also seen some rotten ones that *looked*
perfect. I was a cable jointer on BT for about 20 years and the oldest
pole I've been up was 76 years old and perfect - but I've seen condemned
poles that have been about 30 years old or less.

I wonder if, at some stage, the preservatives were changed for something
less... vehement (but effective)?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian wrote :
[...]

Given elfin safety these days, I'd say almost certainly.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 24 Jan 2014 19:03:50 +0000 (UTC), Adrian wrote:

I don't even want to consider what the preservatives on these things is
- but the poles that were removed from here the other day - after 51
years in the ground - were _perfect_.

Timber in damp ground lasts well anyway. Vacuum treated, ie poles are
placed in a chamber and the pressure reduced drawing the air out of
the wood, the preservative is then introduced and occupies the
"holes". Much better penetration than plain dipping or trying to
shove stuff in under pressure.

Poles and timber in general rots at or just above ground level. The
"goldilocks zone" for the rot fungi and bacteria.

The new ones _stink_...

Creosote, the real stuff? But what ever they use on poles seems to
have a higher proportion of tar than the stuff mere mortals could
get.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/01/2014 19:39, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 24 Jan 2014 19:03:50 +0000 (UTC), Adrian wrote:

I don't even want to consider what the preservatives on these things is
- but the poles that were removed from here the other day - after 51
years in the ground - were _perfect_.

Timber in damp ground lasts well anyway. Vacuum treated, ie poles are
placed in a chamber and the pressure reduced drawing the air out of
the wood, the preservative is then introduced and occupies the
"holes". Much better penetration than plain dipping or trying to
shove stuff in under pressure.

Poles and timber in general rots at or just above ground level. The
"goldilocks zone" for the rot fungi and bacteria.

The new ones _stink_...

Creosote, the real stuff? But what ever they use on poles seems to
have a higher proportion of tar than the stuff mere mortals could
get.

Could be. It's still available for non-diy use.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2014-01-23, Mike Barnes wrote:

So, does anyone know what's underneath there?

A giant corkscrew, if having the poles in my garden changed was anything

to go by. We decided where the stay should go, then he drove it in with

a hydraulic motor attachment on the 6x6 Unimog he was using.

--

Today is Prickle-Prickle, the 24th day of Chaos in the YOLD 3180

"Mistake Not My Current State Of Joshing Gentle Peevishness For The

Awesome And Terrible Majesty Of The Towering Seas Of Ire That Are

Themselves The Milquetoast Shallows Fringing My Vast Oceans Of Wrath"

just curious that they are still called Telegraph poles. How long is it since we used telegraphs.

Round here we call them Telephone poles.

Definitely still telegraph poles around here.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vacuum treated, ie poles are placed in a chamber and the pressure reduced drawing the air out of the wood, the preservative is then introduced and occupies the "holes". Much better penetration than plain dipping or trying to shove stuff in under pressure./

otherwise known as 'tanalising' for eg...

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday 24 January 2014 13:54 Tim Lamb wrote in uk.d-i-y:

In message , Huge
writes
Hmm, I would have thought that there would be more than enough
buried pole to resist any small lateral loads imposed by a ladder.

There are 11 phone poles down my drive supporting phone cables (not
power). None of the are stayed, except where the line goes round a
corner (and not always then.)

I once *hedge trimmed* a stay on an 11kV corner post! Very surprising
how much the poles bent and how quickly a repair team were on site.

No charge on that occasion:-)

I assume by "hedge trimmer" you mean one of those big *******s on a
tractor that can chop small trees in half?

http://www.sensorly.com/ Crowd mapping of 2G/3G/4G mobile signal
coverage

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 24 Jan 2014 22:00:58 +0000, Tim Watts wrote:

On Friday 24 January 2014 13:54 Tim Lamb wrote in uk.d-i-y:

I once *hedge trimmed* a stay on an 11kV corner post! Very surprising
how much the poles bent and how quickly a repair team were on site.

No charge on that occasion:-)

I assume by "hedge trimmer" you mean one of those big *******s on a
tractor that can chop small trees in half?

New Zealand hedge trimmer:
http://i42.tinypic.com/racdpw.jpg

probably cuts telegraph poles in half!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Watts
writes

I once *hedge trimmed* a stay on an 11kV corner post! Very surprising
how much the poles bent and how quickly a repair team were on site.

No charge on that occasion:-)

I assume by "hedge trimmer" you mean one of those big *******s on a
tractor that can chop small trees in half?

Yes. 1.2m cut and mine is an old one.

Cutting Hawthorn/Blackthorn, you can annoy a lot of cyclists very
quickly:-)

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Adrian
writes
[...]

I have seen what I take to be Boron *nails* hammered in to electricity
poles at ground level.

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 24 Jan 2014 22:17:38 +0000, MattyF wrote:

I once *hedge trimmed* a stay on an 11kV corner post! Very surprising
how much the poles bent and how quickly a repair team were on site.

I assume by "hedge trimmer" you mean one of those big *******s on a
tractor that can chop small trees in half?

New Zealand hedge trimmer: http://i42.tinypic.com/racdpw.jpg

Holy. ****ing. Crap.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 24 Jan 2014 13:23:30 -0800 (PST), Jim K wrote:

Vacuum treated, ie poles are placed in a chamber and the pressure
reduced drawing the air out of the wood, the preservative is then
introduced and occupies the "holes". Much better penetration than

plain
dipping or trying to shove stuff in under pressure./

otherwise known as 'tanalising' for eg...

Ish, the chemical treatment used in tanalised timber is not creosote
or similar. In the olde dayes it would have been CCA (Copper Chromium
Arsenate) but that worked so had to be banned. Tanalisation is still
copper based though.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Barnes wrote:
Do "deeds" have any significance nowadays? I have the Land Registry
map which shows the location of the property with a red border but
that's not particularly precise.

Yes. A deed is a legal document. The Land Registry map is purely
to indicate where the plot is, it is explicitly *not* a boundary
map. As you said, it shows the *location* of the property, *not*
the *boundaries* of the property.

jgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Seems it's irrelevant anyway:-

" Frank Erskine

In article ag40pv$f...@cvis05. marconicomms.com, writes

Can anyone tell me how telephone poles are treated with preservative and the method used? Presuming that they are soaked -how long for? The commonest method is (was?) called the "Rüping" process.

"Air is forced into the wood at a pressure of about 75 lb to the square inch. Creosote is next injected under greater pressure, and then an air pressure of about 225 lb is applied, thus driving the oil in to a considerable depth. When the pressure is released the compressed air in the interior of the wood drives out some of the creosote - an effect which is sometimes augmented by applying vacuum. Only about 6 lb of creosote per cubic foot is left in the timber." Courtesy of "Telephony" Volume 1 by Herbert and Procter. --Frank Erskine"

(presume reference is simple enough for you this time..)

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 24 Jan 2014 19:25:59 -0800, jgh wrote:

Do "deeds" have any significance nowadays? I have the Land Registry map
which shows the location of the property with a red border but that's
not particularly precise.

Yes. A deed is a legal document. The Land Registry map is purely to
indicate where the plot is, it is explicitly *not* a boundary map. As
you said, it shows the *location* of the property, *not*
the *boundaries* of the property.

The LR map is just the same as the old deeds map. No more, no less. Deeds
cease to carry any legal weight whatsoever once a property's registered
with the LR.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Mike Barnes wrote:
Do "deeds" have any significance nowadays? I have the Land Registry
map which shows the location of the property with a red border but
that's not particularly precise.

Yes. A deed is a legal document. The Land Registry map is purely
to indicate where the plot is, it is explicitly *not* a boundary
map. As you said, it shows the *location* of the property, *not*
the *boundaries* of the property.

I've been reading up on this a little and as you'd expect most of the
writing concerns boundaries with neighbours as opposed to the highway.

AFAICS the only authority on where the road ends and your property
begins is the local council, which obviously has a certain bias, and
would naturally prefer to have authority over the verge but no
responsibility for its maintenance.

Looking at Ordnance Survey site maps it seems to me that the edge of the
highway is shown with a solid line, and any verge or pavement that is
part of the highway is separated from the rest of the highway by a
dashed line. And that that distinction is taken as fairly authoritative
when queries arise.

For most (but not all) of the lane I live on, there are no dashed lines
on the map, though in reality there is an obvious verge between the
walls/fences/hedges and the road. I'm tending to the view that the
verges are in private hands, but that's 99% speculation.

I don't know whether councils have more detailed maps available for
public inspection, as if so, whether asking to see them could open an
unwanted can of worms. Also is anything the council says going to cut
any ice with BT when they decide whether that stay is on our land or
not? And is whether it's on our land or not going to affect BT's
willingness to move it?

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2014-01-23, Mike Barnes wrote:

So, does anyone know what's underneath there?

A giant corkscrew, if having the poles in my garden changed was anything

to go by. We decided where the stay should go, then he drove it in with

a hydraulic motor attachment on the 6x6 Unimog he was using.

--

Today is Prickle-Prickle, the 24th day of Chaos in the YOLD 3180

"Mistake Not My Current State Of Joshing Gentle Peevishness For The

Awesome And Terrible Majesty Of The Towering Seas Of Ire That Are

Themselves The Milquetoast Shallows Fringing My Vast Oceans Of Wrath"

just curious that they are still called Telegraph poles. How long is it since we used telegraphs.

Round here we call them Telephone poles.

I would agree with their method of erecting them. A slop of concrete at the bottom of a hole does very little. I prefer to dig the hole deep enough and wide enough to allow me get some various stones around the post as I back fill, Effect somewhat similar to strengthening concrete with gravel. We put up post and rail fencing using this method 25 years ago and its still solid

They aren't still called telegraph poles, but a lot of people do call
them that.

I remember doing my BT Subs App & Line Maintenance course (201, or maybe
it was the 202) course in the late seventies and they were officially
called telephone poles even then.

We had to learn how to erect open copper drop wires! I never had to do
it in the field, but it was interesting to learn how to do it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On 25/01/14 09:22, Adrian wrote:
On Fri, 24 Jan 2014 19:25:59 -0800, jgh wrote:

Do "deeds" have any significance nowadays? I have the Land Registry map
which shows the location of the property with a red border but that's
not particularly precise.

Yes. A deed is a legal document. The Land Registry map is purely to
indicate where the plot is, it is explicitly *not* a boundary map. As
you said, it shows the *location* of the property, *not*
the *boundaries* of the property.

The LR map is just the same as the old deeds map. No more, no less. Deeds
cease to carry any legal weight whatsoever once a property's registered
with the LR.

No.

http://www.landregistry.gov.uk/public/boundaries

--
djc
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Mike Barnes
writes
wrote:
Mike Barnes wrote:
Are you 100% sure that your boundary is the edge of the road?

Not 100%, no, but I don't know how you'd determine that with complete
accuracy and reliability.

Deeds. Not the location map, which is just indicates whereabouts
the plot is, but the *written* section and any boundaries/meering
map - which most deeds don't have.

Do "deeds" have any significance nowadays? I have the Land Registry map
which shows the location of the property with a red border but that's
not particularly precise.

I also have a title document dated 1811 (hand-written on parchment, wax
seals, etc, with a Land Registry tag) which says "bounded [...] by the
highway or road". But I have no idea whether "highway or road" would
include any verge.

I'm not sure how relevant all this is now, but I'm interested. Not
interested enough to pay a solicitor, though. :-)

Land Registry do not have old deeds digitised(?) on line. You have to
dig deep to find them. I own the land right up to the road, but service
organisations have way leave for pipes and cables and right of access
for servicing. BGAS engineer tried to tell my neighbour that the land
was theirs but we soon put him right. No poles to worry about
--
bert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/01/2014 16:57, Mike Barnes wrote:

The pole was replaced about 15 years ago. BT didn't ask us whether they
could put that stay there,

At my previous house BT did same .. and a year later also run cable
diagonally across my garden to feed next door ... which was an eyesore -
but they didn't need my permission.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , bert ]
writes
In message , Mike Barnes
writes

I also have a title document dated 1811 (hand-written on parchment, wax
seals, etc, with a Land Registry tag) which says "bounded [...] by the
highway or road". But I have no idea whether "highway or road" would
include any verge.

I'm not sure how relevant all this is now, but I'm interested. Not
interested enough to pay a solicitor, though. :-)

Land Registry do not have old deeds digitised(?) on line. You have to
dig deep to find them. I own the land right up to the road, but service
organisations have way leave for pipes and cables and right of access
for servicing. BGAS engineer tried to tell my neighbour that the land
was theirs but we soon put him right. No poles to worry about

Gas is coming in on overheads now :-?

FWIW, at my dad's place he owned the verge but let the council grab a
bit when they decided the area needed some pavements, it seemed like a
fair swap.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , bert ]
writes
Land Registry do not have old deeds digitised(?) on line. You have to
dig deep to find them. I own the land right up to the road, but service
organisations have way leave for pipes and cables and right of access
for servicing. BGAS engineer tried to tell my neighbour that the land
was theirs but we soon put him right. No poles to worry about

Umm.. A way leave is a legal agreement between the owner of the land and
the utility provider. How this works for a housing development is beyond
my knowledge. Perhaps the original site owner makes the agreement which
may then be noted in the individual Land Registry records.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Lamb
writes
In message , bert ]
writes
Land Registry do not have old deeds digitised(?) on line. You have to
dig deep to find them. I own the land right up to the road, but
service organisations have way leave for pipes and cables and right of
access for servicing. BGAS engineer tried to tell my neighbour that
the land was theirs but we soon put him right. No poles to worry about

Umm.. A way leave is a legal agreement between the owner of the land
and the utility provider. How this works for a housing development is
beyond my knowledge. Perhaps the original site owner makes the
agreement which may then be noted in the individual Land Registry records.

It was covered by covenants on the original deeds along with other
restrictions such as not keeping chickens. These were classified as "old
deeds" on the LR site which simply meant they were held in image format
and not searchable. There was no implication as to any loss of legal
status.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 26 Jan 2014 12:07:27 +0000, bert wrote:

[...]

Have you checked the LR to see if the covenants are listed there? If not,
I don't see them being legally enforcable. The LR is the only
authoritative record for any registered land or property.

Waving old deeds about just says that there was, at one time, a covenant
in place. It doesn't say anything about what might have happened to that
covenant later.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/01/14 17:59, Jim K wrote:
AIUI Bt don't need wayleaves nor do they pay for poles etc.

Elec companies do.

Expect a phenomenal "quote" for them to do it

Jim K

YMMV, but I got an entire BT pole moved for free about 10 years ago.

It had been placed about 3ft from in line with my property boundary, in
line with a hedge that seperated a garden path from a front garden. When
I removed my garden wall and hedge to make a driveway, the pole was left
in an inconvenient place. I asked them for a price, and they just came
and did it: I came back from holiday, it was moved :-).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, January 26, 2014 12:50:28 PM UTC, Chris Bartram wrote:
On 23/01/14 17:59, Jim K wrote:

AIUI Bt don't need wayleaves nor do they pay for poles etc.

Elec companies do.

Expect a phenomenal "quote" for them to do it

Jim K

YMMV, but I got an entire BT pole moved for free about 10 years ago.

It had been placed about 3ft from in line with my property boundary, in

line with a hedge that seperated a garden path from a front garden. When

I removed my garden wall and hedge to make a driveway, the pole was left

in an inconvenient place. I asked them for a price, and they just came

and did it: I came back from holiday, it was moved :-).

I bet that doesn't happen these days ;)

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Adrian
writes
[...]

I've just told you where they are.
Waving old deeds about just says that there was, at one time, a covenant
in place. It doesn't say anything about what might have happened to that
covenant later.

As I've lived here since the houses were built you would think I might
know if anything had been changed.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/01/2014 21:04, bert wrote:
In message , Adrian
writes
[...]

Typically such restrictions are put in place by the developers to ensure
that as they begin to sell the properties and people move in, they do
not create an atmosphere that puts off potential purchasers for the
remaining properties. Once they have sold the lot, they are generally no
longer interested and will not enforce any restrictions - and generally
they are the only ones that can.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On 27/01/14 22:23, SteveW wrote:
On 27/01/2014 21:04, bert wrote:

As I've lived here since the houses were built you would think I might
know if anything had been changed.

Typically such restrictions are put in place by the developers to ensure
that as they begin to sell the properties and people move in, they do
not create an atmosphere that puts off potential purchasers for the
remaining properties. Once they have sold the lot, they are generally no
longer interested and will not enforce any restrictions - and generally
they are the only ones that can.

That depends, if the covenants are part of a 'building scheme' they can.

--
djc

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , SteveW
writes
On 27/01/2014 21:04, bert wrote:
In message , Adrian
writes
[...]

I believe you can apply to a magistrates court to have these covenants
enforced.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/01/2014 09:08, Tim Watts wrote:
On Friday 24 January 2014 22:17 MattyF wrote in uk.d-i-y:

On Fri, 24 Jan 2014 22:00:58 +0000, Tim Watts wrote:

On Friday 24 January 2014 13:54 Tim Lamb wrote in uk.d-i-y:

I once *hedge trimmed* a stay on an 11kV corner post! Very
surprising how much the poles bent and how quickly a repair team
were on site.

No charge on that occasion:-)

I assume by "hedge trimmer" you mean one of those big *******s on a
tractor that can chop small trees in half?

New Zealand hedge trimmer:
http://i42.tinypic.com/racdpw.jpg

probably cuts telegraph poles in half!

Fuuucck....

Wow. That looks *nasty*

Michael
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/01/2014 16:57, Mike Barnes wrote:
Possibly DIY, possibly not. :-)

There's a BT telegraph pole adjacent to my house. It is supported by a
stay which is anchored on my land. The anchor is in the middle of an
area that I want to use for wheelie bins.

My understanding is that (these days) you've got a right to get any such
stays, which are on your land, moved at the utility company's expense.

I don't much about wayleaves and *paying* for them, but any stay on your
land should be written up in the deeds stating that the company has a
right to enter your land to maintain it. I've never heard of a company
having to pay for the right to have a pole on someone's land.

There's a pole stay over our back wall which I'm thinking of moving if I
ever remove and replace the garage, as it interferes with the rather
tight turning circle. A friend of mine in the Peak District had a pole
stay removed from their land some years ago.

Michael

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 29 Jan 2014 09:40:32 +0000, Michael Kilpatrick wrote:

My understanding is that (these days) you've got a right to get any such
stays, which are on your land, moved at the utility company's expense.

I don't much about wayleaves and *paying* for them, but any stay on your
land should be written up in the deeds stating that the company has a
right to enter your land to maintain it. I've never heard of a company
having to pay for the right to have a pole on someone's land.

We bought this house in May last year. The (excellent, very on-the-ball)
solicitor had no problem whatsoever with the wayleaves in place for the
electricity poles and transformer on the land, with nothing about them
mentioned in the LR entry.

Western Power have, as I already mentioned, handed one pole to BT,
installed a new pole, and changed two-plus-transformer to one-plus-new
transformer. One cable (to next door) has been moved into a trench. We've
signed a new wayleave.

BT, otoh, have no wayleave, but now have a pole on our land. WP have
kicked 'em, and they're coming "within the next couple of weeks" to have
an initial survey and discussion. When I asked 'em, whilst the trench was
still open, they wanted to charge us £200 just for that first visit.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2014-01-29, Michael Kilpatrick wrote:

I don't much about wayleaves and *paying* for them, but any stay on your
land should be written up in the deeds stating that the company has a
right to enter your land to maintain it. I've never heard of a company
having to pay for the right to have a pole on someone's land.

My parents used to get a tiny payment (£10/yr? I forget) for the pole
in their garden in Cheddar. It was over 30 years ago, though.

Hmm. The stay (in our garden) for the pole (on next door's land) is for
an overhead power supply[*] to next door and as such is not part of any
service to our house - so under what conditions exactly does a wayleave
entitle a fee, does anyone know?

Michael
[*] The supply is underground through our land and only emerges at the
pole, to traverse the length of next door's garden.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 29 Jan 2014 20:16:06 +0000, Michael Kilpatrick wrote:

Hmm. The stay (in our garden) for the pole (on next door's land) is for
an overhead power supply[*] to next door and as such is not part of any
service to our house - so under what conditions exactly does a wayleave
entitle a fee, does anyone know?

If there's some infrastructure on your land that doesn't _only_ supply
you, they need a wayleave for it.

If it's only for your supply, then they don't.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2014-01-29, Michael Kilpatrick wrote:

I don't much about wayleaves and *paying* for them, but any stay on your
land should be written up in the deeds stating that the company has a
right to enter your land to maintain it. I've never heard of a company
having to pay for the right to have a pole on someone's land.

My parents used to get a tiny payment (£10/yr? I forget) for the pole
in their garden in Cheddar. It was over 30 years ago, though.

They send me £7/yr for a pole in my garden.
You are entitled to it.
All you have to do is ask and it will be sent for ever more.
The local network provider will have a department just for this.

This all came in when the utilities were privatised I think.
Before then, you got nothing

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2014-01-29, Michael Kilpatrick wrote:

I don't much about wayleaves and *paying* for them, but any stay on your
land should be written up in the deeds stating that the company has a
right to enter your land to maintain it. I've never heard of a company
having to pay for the right to have a pole on someone's land.

My parents used to get a tiny payment (£10/yr? I forget) for the pole
in their garden in Cheddar. It was over 30 years ago, though.

They send me £7/yr for a pole in my garden.
You are entitled to it.
All you have to do is ask and it will be sent for ever more.
The local network provider will have a department just for this.

This all came in when the utilities were privatised I think.
Before then, you got nothing

It depends on the wayleave agreement. In many cases the wayleave was
secured by a one off payment, and no rent is payable. The details should
be registered, or if the land is not yet registered, the agreement
should be with the deeds.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to tony sayer, Graeme wrote:
Anyone know the ballpark figure for getting BT to relocate a tensioning wire
off on their poles. All on my land, no way leave, but BT are proving very
combative... Thanks

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...ay-951683-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Where did this suddenly appear from... Oh wait its that silly portal again.

Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...