Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to run outdoor electrical lines from pole to pole - What's required

I have a problem that seems like I can solve--with your help! Here's
what I have. I have breakers in the house, but my garage, a good 200
feet or more away only has a single electrical outlet ran to it. I
want to hook up 240v as well as some 120v regular recepticles in the
garage. Here is how I want to do it, you can tell me if it's crazy.

I have poles (like utility poles but privately owned) around the
property and want to run an outdoor, overhead line. This is also
partly because it's such a long run and it crosses pavement. (Don't
want to dig up cement) This is all on my private property by the way.
I have enough poles to run it from house - pole - pole - garage. My
question is what kind of wire will I need, and what kind of
connections to the poles? I also understand I can tie into my 100 amp
service box inside, use a 2 pole switch, and get my desired 240v. Any
help on this process would be appreaciated with specific help on
getting this wire ran from pole to pole to garage. What kind of cable
required? limit on distance from pole to pole? Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On Apr 30, 9:41 am, wrote:
[...]

While you can go overhead, for aesthetics and the nuisance factor, I'd
still recommend the underground route. Unless the drive or other
concrete pad being crossed is quite a long run, it's possible to place
the cable under it w/o tearing the slab up. If it's a few feet like a
sidewalk, it's pretty simple enough to do w/ a homemade water lance--
longer and you may want to hire that portion done, but I wouldn't
reject the idea out of hand.

For going overhead, you need a way to set the poles sufficiently deep
to hold them against the worst of gales and ice/snow and a way to get
up to the top and be able to work to pull the wire and tighten it
sufficiently to keep it from sagging excessively. By the time you get
done unless you've got a lift or other way to get up there easily, I'd
expect the effort to be as much or more than burying it.

IMO, ymmv, $0.02, etc., etc., etc., from one who has several overhead
as well as buried on the home place and wouldn't think of putting in
another overhead of more than a single run from the meter pole...

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

I would go overhead as a last resort, but if you want to, use messenger
cable. You'll want three insulated conductors wrapped around a bare
messenger. Two hots, one neutral, and one ground. You'll need a conduit with
four wires in it or type SER cable at each end going into the buildings to
the panels at each end

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

It's called TRIPLEX.
It's the same stuff that runs from the pole to your house. They sell
special ends to attach it to the pole insulators. I'd suggest putting
a separate breaker box in the garage with ground rods and the whole
works. Of course you'll want 120 lights and outlets in there, so you
have to put in a separate box. Even if you went underground, you'd
still need a box if you want both 140 and 120. Be sure to use ground
rods.

On 30 Apr 2007 07:41:18 -0700, wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 30, 6:52 pm, "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:
I would go overhead as a last resort, but if you want to, use messenger
cable. You'll want three insulated conductors wrapped around a bare
messenger. Two hots, one neutral, and one ground. You'll need a conduit with
four wires in it or type SER cable at each end going into the buildings to
the panels at each end

wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

required? limit on distance from pole to pole? Thanks!- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for the advise. I think we will try to bury the cable, it seems
possible. The pole method sounded good because we already have a bunch
of poles up and we aren't using them. They used to run electric to a
bunch of buildings out there. Thanks.

4 pole to 3 pole Extension Cord. [email protected] Home Repair 14 January 5th 07 07:16 PM
Single pole or double pole? F UK diy 3 June 27th 06 11:42 PM
Light switch 3 pole and 2 pole helpme Home Repair 11 February 13th 06 11:57 PM
Electrical : 3 way -- Single Pole (Light Switch) AC Home Repair 7 November 24th 05 05:13 AM
AC shaded pole single phase induction pole motor [email protected] Electronics Repair 13 April 29th 05 03:37 AM