Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Default How to run outdoor electrical lines from pole to pole - What's required

I would go overhead as a last resort, but if you want to, use messenger
cable. You'll want three insulated conductors wrapped around a bare
messenger. Two hots, one neutral, and one ground. You'll need a conduit with
four wires in it or type SER cable at each end going into the buildings to
the panels at each end

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a problem that seems like I can solve--with your help! Here's
what I have. I have breakers in the house, but my garage, a good 200
feet or more away only has a single electrical outlet ran to it. I
want to hook up 240v as well as some 120v regular recepticles in the
garage. Here is how I want to do it, you can tell me if it's crazy.

I have poles (like utility poles but privately owned) around the
property and want to run an outdoor, overhead line. This is also
partly because it's such a long run and it crosses pavement. (Don't
want to dig up cement) This is all on my private property by the way.
I have enough poles to run it from house - pole - pole - garage. My
question is what kind of wire will I need, and what kind of
connections to the poles? I also understand I can tie into my 100 amp
service box inside, use a 2 pole switch, and get my desired 240v. Any
help on this process would be appreaciated with specific help on
getting this wire ran from pole to pole to garage. What kind of cable
required? limit on distance from pole to pole? Thanks!