Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Single pole or double pole?

I need to replace some 13 amp double sockets.

Is it 'best' to get double pole, or is the difference in cost (~50p per
socket) not worth it?

--
Frank
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
F writes:
I need to replace some 13 amp double sockets.

Is it 'best' to get double pole, or is the difference in cost (~50p per
socket) not worth it?

It doesn't make much difference, I might have a _very_ slight
preference for double pole on RCD protected circuits, and single
pole on non-RCD protected circuits. When you've picked the make
and style you want, I don't think you normally get the choice
though.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
long ironer

Owain wrote:
F wrote:
I need to replace some 13 amp double sockets.
Is it 'best' to get double pole, or is the difference in cost (~50p per
socket) not worth it?

It is best to get DP.

Snag with these is that should the N (neutral) pole of the switch fail
you end up with an appliance apparently dead, but at 240V internally.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Gabriel

In article . com,
"long ironer" writes:

Owain wrote:
F wrote:
I need to replace some 13 amp double sockets.
Is it 'best' to get double pole, or is the difference in cost (~50p per
socket) not worth it?

It is best to get DP.

Snag with these is that should the N (neutral) pole of the switch fail
you end up with an appliance apparently dead, but at 240V internally.

Also...
More complex mechanical bits to fail sooner (and twice the
contact resistance to generate more heat).
On some, live connects before neutral, which causes some
plug-in RCDs to trip, believing there to be a neutral fault.

--
Andrew Gabriel