DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Single pole or double pole? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/167422-single-pole-double-pole.html)

F June 27th 06 07:33 PM

Single pole or double pole?

I need to replace some 13 amp double sockets.

Is it 'best' to get double pole, or is the difference in cost (~50p per
socket) not worth it?

--
Frank

Andrew Gabriel June 27th 06 08:24 PM

Single pole or double pole?

In article ,
F writes:
I need to replace some 13 amp double sockets.

Is it 'best' to get double pole, or is the difference in cost (~50p per
socket) not worth it?

It doesn't make much difference, I might have a _very_ slight
preference for double pole on RCD protected circuits, and single
pole on non-RCD protected circuits. When you've picked the make
and style you want, I don't think you normally get the choice
though.

--
Andrew Gabriel

long ironer June 27th 06 11:29 PM

Single pole or double pole?

Owain wrote:
F wrote:
I need to replace some 13 amp double sockets.
Is it 'best' to get double pole, or is the difference in cost (~50p per
socket) not worth it?

It is best to get DP.

Snag with these is that should the N (neutral) pole of the switch fail
you end up with an appliance apparently dead, but at 240V internally.

Andrew Gabriel June 27th 06 11:42 PM

Single pole or double pole?

In article . com,
"long ironer" writes:

Owain wrote:
F wrote:
I need to replace some 13 amp double sockets.
Is it 'best' to get double pole, or is the difference in cost (~50p per
socket) not worth it?

It is best to get DP.

Snag with these is that should the N (neutral) pole of the switch fail
you end up with an appliance apparently dead, but at 240V internally.

Also...
More complex mechanical bits to fail sooner (and twice the
contact resistance to generate more heat).
On some, live connects before neutral, which causes some
plug-in RCDs to trip, believing there to be a neutral fault.

--
Andrew Gabriel