Posted to alt.home.repair
AC

Default Electrical : 3 way -- Single Pole (Light Switch)

I've replaced some old switches. However, after replacing one switch
for the basement staircase (originally 3 way switch with common written
on the back) ... I replaced it with a new single pole switch.

- 3 wires originally (2 on top) (1 on bottom)
- now the switch has become a master

How do I fix this problem ? Do I need to go out and buy a 3 way switch
? Or can I can I somehow rewire the single pole to accomodate the old
3 way switch ?

Thanks in Advance,
AC

Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

you were misbehaving when you didn't spend the big bucks on quantity
two lighted handle 3-way switches.
go make it right. when you replace them both you will still be able to
find them in the dark.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller

In article .com, "AC" wrote:
I've replaced some old switches. However, after replacing one switch
for the basement staircase (originally 3 way switch with common written
on the back) ... I replaced it with a new single pole switch.

Why?

- 3 wires originally (2 on top) (1 on bottom)
- now the switch has become a master

Entirely predicable. If you can't figure out why, you have no business doing
your own wiring.

How do I fix this problem ?

By putting the right switch in. Duh.

Do I need to go out and buy a 3 way switch ?

Yes. Duh.

Or can I can I somehow rewire the single pole to accomodate the old
3 way switch ?

That is *obviously* impossible. Think about it. If it were possible to rewire
a single pole switch to perform the same function as a 3-way switch... what
would be the purpose in having 3-way switches?

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

AC wrote:
I've replaced some old switches. However, after replacing one switch
for the basement staircase (originally 3 way switch with common
written on the back) ... I replaced it with a new single pole switch.

- 3 wires originally (2 on top) (1 on bottom)
- now the switch has become a master

How do I fix this problem ? Do I need to go out and buy a 3 way
switch ? Or can I can I somehow rewire the single pole to accomodate
the old 3 way switch ?

Thanks in Advance,
AC

If you want both switches to work as three way switches you need two
three way switches.

If you only want one switch to control the lights, that is possible and
you don't need any three way switches, but you will need to do some
re-wiring. Since how to re-wire depends on how they are not wired, I can't
offer directions and I strongly suggest you don't try to guess.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've replaced some old switches. However, after replacing one switch
for the basement staircase (originally 3 way switch with common written
on the back) ... I replaced it with a new single pole switch.

Now if you're at the bottom of your staircase with no lights on
(whatever the reason) you have to walk up the stairs to turn the lights
on (or vice-versa). Am I correct?

Generally people need to have a means to illuminate their immediate
area rather than go stumbling around in the dark to find a switch.
This is the reason for three-way (and four-way) switches. They are
installed to have a means to turn the lights on in a space with more
than one entrance. They also can typically be found at the tops and
bottoms of staircases for the same reason, as you can see.

Or if your dwelling is really older than maybe you should consider
intalling them in this manner.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Toller

"AC" wrote in message
oups.com...
I've replaced some old switches. However, after replacing one switch
for the basement staircase (originally 3 way switch with common written
on the back) ... I replaced it with a new single pole switch.

- 3 wires originally (2 on top) (1 on bottom)
- now the switch has become a master

How do I fix this problem ? Do I need to go out and buy a 3 way switch
? Or can I can I somehow rewire the single pole to accomodate the old
3 way switch ?

You're kidding, right?
If you could use single pole switches to replace 3 way, why would they make
3 way?

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On 23 Nov 2005 01:39:11 -0800, "AC" wrote:

I've replaced some old switches. However, after replacing one switch
for the basement staircase (originally 3 way switch with common written
on the back) ... I replaced it with a new single pole switch.

- 3 wires originally (2 on top) (1 on bottom)
- now the switch has become a master

How do I fix this problem ? Do I need to go out and buy a 3 way switch
? Or can I can I somehow rewire the single pole to accomodate the old
3 way switch ?

Thanks in Advance,
AC

I had pretty much the same situation once. I had a Chevy Corvette
with 389 cubic inch engine that red-lined at 3200 rpm, and would go
about 85mph in 3rd, let alone what it would do in fourth.

I took out the V-8 engine and replaced it with a Briggs and Stratton
3.5 HP engine. Then all I had to do was modify the Briggs engine
installation so I could go 55MPH in the Corvette.

And that wasn't as difficult as it might sound to some of the
sourpusses here.

All I had to do was take out the B&S engine and replace it with a 389
cubic inch V-8. The whole thing only took 2 days.

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.
Posted to alt.home.repair
AC

Replaced with two 3-way switches, and it works perfectly. Thanks for
the help. Sorry for the amateur question, but I guess this is how you
learn.

I'm hiring an electrician to complete the wall outlets as this is all
beyond my scope.

AC