Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Ikea vs B&Q for DIY furniture

On 8/4/2013 4:22 AM, tim..... wrote:

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Sat, 03 Aug 2013 19:53:44 +0100, Dave Liquorice wrote:

Some one who must be obeyed suggested that a trip to Ikea would be good
idea, on BOXING DAY! After a 3 hr traffic queue to get in, herded round
the "you must look at everything" path, not buying anything and a 2 hrs
to get out of the car park even she agreed it was not a "good idea".

This was at least thirteen years ago, we havn't been to Ikea since an I
think that was the last time she agreed one of her ideas was not

We decided to look at IKEA fourteen years ago, at Lakeside.

But decided to take a look at Costco too, and went there first. Spent
some time wandering around, joined on the spot, bought a load of
stuff...and went home.

Costco sell sofas?

From time to time they do.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Sun, 04 Aug 2013 09:22:20 +0100, tim..... wrote:

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Sat, 03 Aug 2013 19:53:44 +0100, Dave Liquorice wrote:

Some one who must be obeyed suggested that a trip to Ikea would be
good idea, on BOXING DAY! After a 3 hr traffic queue to get in, herded
round the "you must look at everything" path, not buying anything and
a 2 hrs to get out of the car park even she agreed it was not a "good
idea".

This was at least thirteen years ago, we havn't been to Ikea since an
I think that was the last time she agreed one of her ideas was not

We decided to look at IKEA fourteen years ago, at Lakeside.

But decided to take a look at Costco too, and went there first. Spent
some time wandering around, joined on the spot, bought a load of
stuff...and went home.

Costco sell sofas?

Well, not quite what I meant - but ISWYM...

Just in case your thought I was nit-picking, I am in fact an interested
person

off to buy a new sofa from Ikea in the next few weeks

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 4 Aug 2013 09:22:20 +0100, tim..... wrote:

Costco sell sofas?

Yes, but they are huge dark brown leather monstrosities that I
wouldn't give house room to. At least that's in the warehouses, the
website might have a larger range, I haven't looked.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 03 Aug 2013 17:10:23 +0100, Tim Streater
wrote:

In article

rg,
Steve Firth wrote:

"David.WE.Roberts" wrote:
[snip]

So how can Ikea do it and remain cheap, and B&Q just can't?

Because B&Q don't give a hoot about getting things right.

Since Ikea built some new stores we now have a choice within a reasonable
drive both in the UK and Italy. In Italy B&Q are Castorama selling exactly
the same tat with exactly the same "**** you" attitude. Ikea are weirdly
variable some stores have exceptional customer service but our closest
Italian store sucks as does Croydon.

Given a free choice I would buy garden furniture from Uno Piu (only)
excellent design and quality but either 1000 miles or 100 miles from home
depending on which home.

The thing that really ****es me off about IKEA and will cause me never
to browse there except under conditions of extreme need is the way they
force you walk through the *whole* *****ing* *store* in order to get
out.

+1.

And the last time I went to Ikea I had to wait for an hour for them to
get a forklift and close an aisle so that they could get a box from a
rack. I then put the box on my trolley and wheeled it around the
corner to give it all back again for delivery!

And my son needed the loo as we left so we had to go through the whole
store again. Didn't see any shortcuts.
--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://tinyurl.com/9vnbc

--
€¢DarWin|
_/ _/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/08/2013 17:10 Tim Streater wrote:

The thing that really ****es me off about IKEA and will cause me never
to browse there except under conditions of extreme need is the way they
force you walk through the *whole* *****ing* *store* in order to get
out. At least the Lakeside one does and it's *annoying*.

There are shortcuts at the Leeds branch that can shorten the route
through considerably.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 3 August 2013 14:32:49 UTC+1, David.WE.Roberts wrote:
On Fri, 02 Aug 2013 17:39:18 +0000, David.WE.Roberts wrote:

Ikea always seems to go together right - unless, of course, you don't

follow the instructions correctly.

We have put a lot of Ikea stuff together over the years.

It just works.

I've just spent a frustrating (well, it felt like at least an hour)

trying to put a B&Q circular garden table together.

Should be simple. Two metal frames at right angles, held in place by a

metal loop with welded brackets.

Turns out after much pushing and grunting and removing and refitting

that the frame is bent to f*ck and/or not welded up correctly.

http://www.diy.com/nav/garden/outdoo...iture/tables/-

specificproducttype-dining_tables/Lavezzi-Dining-Table-12718771?

noCookies=false

or

http://tinyurl.com/odtd7f3

is what is should look like.

Now trying to ring them up to ask them to hold a replacement for us.

Friday evening is not a good time to get customer service.

It is a shame that there isn't an Ikea anywhere near us. Nearest is

about 1.5 hours drive each way.

So how can Ikea do it and remain cheap, and B&Q just can't?

Well, got the replacement and put that together O.K. (ish).

General design is very good, both for looks and for self assembly.

The manufacturing is crap.

The frame almost fits together although a couple of the captive bolts (or

tapped whatever) are banjaxed but at least it sits firmly on the deck, and

the composite top is very nice indeed.

So good engineering and style in the design.

Rubbish production.

But I guess that is the way of business these days - cheaper to order

goods with a 10% or more failure rate and just throw away the rejects than

to pay a bit more for quality control at the point of manufacture.

So we pay the price of returning goods for the reduction in overall price.

Cheers

Dave R

I think the point about the difference between B&Q and Ikea is that Ikea design (and manufacture?) their own stuff, whereas B&Q are just buying in products from as many cheap manufacturers as they can find.

Ikea ends up with a consistent design / assembly ethos with consistent parts and fixing components. B&Q ends up with soft screws, cheap components and poor quality control.

Matt
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 05 Aug 2013 08:54:45 +0100, Mark
wrote:

And the last time I went to Ikea I had to wait for an hour for them to
get a forklift and close an aisle so that they could get a box from a
rack. I then put the box on my trolley and wheeled it around the
corner to give it all back again for delivery!

And my son needed the loo as we left so we had to go through the whole
store again. Didn't see any shortcuts.

After the first visit and a catalogue to hand the best way to approach Ikea for
flat pack purchases is through the exit at opening time.

You can be in and out of a store within 10 minutes with the right planning.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 05 Aug 2013 11:17:53 +0100, F news@nowhere wrote:

On 03/08/2013 17:10 Tim Streater wrote:

The thing that really ****es me off about IKEA and will cause me never
to browse there except under conditions of extreme need is the way they
force you walk through the *whole* *****ing* *store* in order to get
out. At least the Lakeside one does and it's *annoying*.

There are shortcuts at the Leeds branch that can shorten the route
through considerably.

I suspect there are shortcuts in every store. They were easy to find in the two
in Scandinavia I frequented 20+ years ago

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , The Other Mike wrote:
On Mon, 05 Aug 2013 11:17:53 +0100, F news@nowhere wrote:
On 03/08/2013 17:10 Tim Streater wrote:

The thing that really ****es me off about IKEA and will cause me never
to browse there except under conditions of extreme need is the way they
force you walk through the *whole* *****ing* *store* in order to get
out. At least the Lakeside one does and it's *annoying*.

There are shortcuts at the Leeds branch that can shorten the route
through considerably.

I suspect there are shortcuts in every store. They were easy to find in the two
in Scandinavia I frequented 20+ years ago

Certainly there were in the Lakeside one when I last used it some years ago.
(I doubt they've blocked them, but they don't make them very obvious.)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 09 Aug 2013 13:39:30 +0100, charles
wrote:

In article , Frank Erskine
wrote:

_They_ are probably staff shortcuts for their use in case of fire!

don't the customers get emergency exits, too?

No, they are expected to follow the normal route throught the store. 30 minutes
later, if they are lucky they reach what is left of the checkout.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Kip Kip is offline

I am sure the Swedish woman is dying to be in your bed! or maybe running to B&Q

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...re-912037-.htm