Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Remote controlled sockets instead of low level lighting circuit. Recommendations?

I have bottled out of installing a low level wall lighting circuit in the lounge so thought I'd use remote plug sockets instead. Has anyone got a recommendation for ones which have pretty innocuous plug sockets and have a wall mounted switch option?

Thanks

Charlie
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/01/2013 08:09, Charlie wrote:
I have bottled out of installing a low level wall lighting circuit in
the lounge so thought I'd use remote plug sockets instead. Has anyone
got a recommendation for ones which have pretty innocuous plug
sockets and have a wall mounted switch option?

Not a recommendation from experience, but I recall something from enOcean.

http://www.enocean.com/en/enocean-li...building-2012/

Google "batteryless switch".

Among others ..

MK Echo series

http://www.mkelectric.com/Documents/...20Brochure.pdf

They have plug sockets in the range.

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/01/2013 09:21, Adrian C wrote:
On 06/01/2013 08:09, Charlie wrote:
I have bottled out of installing a low level wall lighting circuit in
the lounge so thought I'd use remote plug sockets instead. Has anyone
got a recommendation for ones which have pretty innocuous plug
sockets and have a wall mounted switch option?

We have a Byron set here which works well (had it for years so doubtless
the model will be obsolete now); the hand-held remote is blu-tacked to
the side of the door frame near the light switch, which works for me!

MK Echo series

http://www.mkelectric.com/Documents/...20Brochure.pdf

"Wireless... batteryless... Self-powered: uses innovative technology to
‘harvest’ energy"

How does that work, then? Can't see any more details in the brochure

--
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:

On 06/01/2013 09:21, Adrian C wrote:

http://www.mkelectric.com/Documents/...20Brochure.pdf

"Wireless... batteryless... Self-powered: uses innovative technology to
‘harvest’ energy"

How does that work, then? Can't see any more details in the brochure

Look at the enocean link you snipped?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/01/2013 09:21, Adrian C wrote:
On 06/01/2013 08:09, Charlie wrote:
I have bottled out of installing a low level wall lighting circuit in
the lounge so thought I'd use remote plug sockets instead. Has anyone
got a recommendation for ones which have pretty innocuous plug
sockets and have a wall mounted switch option?

Not a recommendation from experience, but I recall something from enOcean.

http://www.enocean.com/en/enocean-li...building-2012/

Google "batteryless switch".

Among others ..

MK Echo series

http://www.mkelectric.com/Documents/...20Brochure.pdf

They have plug sockets in the range.

These have a special requirement before you order any. A large bank
balance. £385 for one 400W switch?

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
£385? Christ!
Are they coated with unicorn tears!

Not quite that bad:-
http://www.amazon.co.uk/MK-Echo-K541.../dp/B004FPXZTO

£85 for the receiver, and £118 or so elsewhere for the bit that goes on
the wall. In a commercial setting, the extra cost of the wall unit may
well be saved by not having to run any cabling to it.

And please, don't top post, it confuses the locals. ;-)

[...]

Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/01/2013 10:43, polygonum wrote:
On 06/01/2013 09:21, Adrian C wrote:
On 06/01/2013 08:09, Charlie wrote:
I have bottled out of installing a low level wall lighting circuit in
the lounge so thought I'd use remote plug sockets instead. Has anyone
got a recommendation for ones which have pretty innocuous plug
sockets and have a wall mounted switch option?

Not a recommendation from experience, but I recall something from
enOcean.

http://www.enocean.com/en/enocean-li...building-2012/

Google "batteryless switch".

Among others ..

MK Echo series

http://www.mkelectric.com/Documents/...20Brochure.pdf

They have plug sockets in the range.

These have a special requirement before you order any. A large bank
balance. £385 for one 400W switch?

My bad - a typo. Meant to be £85 for one switch! But by the time you add
the controller, etc. you won't be so very far off £385.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, January 6, 2013 1:06:34 PM UTC, polygonum wrote:
[...]

Well, I might as well get a low level lighting circuit put in for that amount of money!

Might end up having to do with a remote instead of a switch.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/01/2013 08:09, Charlie wrote:
I have bottled out of installing a low level wall lighting circuit in
the lounge so thought I'd use remote plug sockets instead. Has anyone
got a recommendation for ones which have pretty innocuous plug
sockets and have a wall mounted switch option?

Thanks

Charlie

We just use the plug in ones, most are behind book cases etc anyway.
Think ours are Byron, about £30 a set of 4 from B&Q. Had them for years.

B&Q also do these remote sockets under £30

http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/electrica...skuId=12338230

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 6 Jan 2013 00:09:41 -0800 (PST), Charlie
wrote:

I have bottled out of installing a low level wall lighting circuit in the lounge so thought I'd use remote plug sockets instead. Has anyone got a recommendation for ones which have pretty innocuous plug sockets and have a wall mounted switch option?

Whilst I have not used their plug in remote sockets I have recently
used some LightwaveRF wireless remote kit - a remote wall switch, a
hand held remote control and a couple of inline relays to control a
downlighter setup.

Their product range does include plug in remote sockets and some
replacement 1 and 2 gang remote sockets
http://www.vesternet.com/lightwaverf/sockets

They appear to be updating their range to include a controller that
will accept switching signals from smart phones.
--
rbel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 06 Jan 2013 14:16:43 +0000, The Medway Handyman
wrote:

On 06/01/2013 08:09, Charlie wrote:
I have bottled out of installing a low level wall lighting circuit in
the lounge so thought I'd use remote plug sockets instead. Has anyone
got a recommendation for ones which have pretty innocuous plug
sockets and have a wall mounted switch option?

Thanks

Charlie

We just use the plug in ones, most are behind book cases etc anyway.
Think ours are Byron, about £30 a set of 4 from B&Q. Had them for years.

B&Q also do these remote sockets under £30

http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/electrica...skuId=12338230

These are Siemens rebadged LightwaveRF units - see my post in this
thread.
--
rbel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 06/01/2013 08:09, Charlie wrote:

I have bottled out of installing a low level wall lighting circuit in

the lounge so thought I'd use remote plug sockets instead. Has anyone

got a recommendation for ones which have pretty innocuous plug

sockets and have a wall mounted switch option?

Thanks

Charlie

We just use the plug in ones, most are behind book cases etc anyway.

Think ours are Byron, about �30 a set of 4 from B&Q. Had them for years.

B&Q also do these remote sockets under �30

http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/electrica...skuId=12338230

These are Siemens rebadged LightwaveRF units - see my post in this

thread.

--

rbel

Think I might have found something more reasonably priced:
http://www.wirelesslightingstore.com/

Just need to check that the switches work with the sockets.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 06 Jan 2013 14:16:43 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:

We just use the plug in ones, most are behind book cases etc anyway.
Think ours are Byron, about £30 a set of 4 from B&Q. Had them for
years.

Same here, set of three from Asda for a fiver IIRC. Work fine within the
same room but not out to the garage about 15m away and through a couple
of stone walls. Slight niggle is that they need setting up as to which
button controls which switched socket after a power cut. Manual on/off
switch on the sockets as well.

Now what would be nice is a remote on/off socket with built in time
switch so you can have something come on/off based on time but also
overide it, either way, remotely.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7 Jan 2013 11:21:10 GMT, Huge wrote:

Now what would be nice is a remote on/off socket with built in time
switch so you can have something come on/off based on time but also
overide it, either way, remotely.

Sounds like you need X10 or something like it.

Just had a google, there isn't much out there but Byron do Homeeasy
stuff. Switched or dimmable plugin receivers and a timer remote control
with timer and on/off control of quite a range of units, including relay
only boxes. The timer remote is about £15 and the switched sockets a
tenner.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, January 7, 2013 4:36:54 PM UTC, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On 7 Jan 2013 11:21:10 GMT, Huge wrote:

Now what would be nice is a remote on/off socket with built in time

switch so you can have something come on/off based on time but also

overide it, either way, remotely.

Sounds like you need X10 or something like it.

Just had a google, there isn't much out there but Byron do Homeeasy

stuff. Switched or dimmable plugin receivers and a timer remote control

with timer and on/off control of quite a range of units, including relay

only boxes. The timer remote is about £15 and the switched sockets a

tenner.

--

Cheers

Dave.

Cheers, they seem really reasonable. Also got the option of sitting the switch inside the mounting box, although will need to be 35mm deep.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/01/2013 08:09, Charlie wrote:
I have bottled out of installing a low level wall lighting circuit in
the lounge so thought I'd use remote plug sockets instead. Has anyone
got a recommendation for ones which have pretty innocuous plug
sockets and have a wall mounted switch option?

Thanks

Charlie

If you've got an iPhone...

Belkin WeMo Switch
Puts your home electronics at your fingertips.

Belkin's WeMo Switch and its companion app use your home Wi-Fi network
to let you turn electronic devices on or off from your iPhone, iPad or
iPod touch wherever you are.

Works with your existing Wi-Fi router
Modular system – add more WeMo switches any time
Control as many or as few devices as you want
Operates over Wi-Fi and mobile Internet, at home and away
Intuitive, easy setup and use
Put your home electronics on a schedule

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/H7...in-wemo-switch

No idea if available for any other platforms.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

polygonum wrote:
[...]

I cannot wait to see what is fitted at the new build I am currently working
on. I only fit the cables and I have nothing to do with the final
connections. This was the last one I worked on

http://ethomecinema.co.uk/installati...tem-doncaster/

but the new house should be higher spec.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/01/2013 15:11, ARW wrote:
polygonum wrote:
[...]

When you think the iPad seems very much "just the controller"...

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-01-08, polygonum wrote:
On 06/01/2013 08:09, Charlie wrote:
I have bottled out of installing a low level wall lighting circuit in
the lounge so thought I'd use remote plug sockets instead. Has anyone
got a recommendation for ones which have pretty innocuous plug
sockets and have a wall mounted switch option?

Thanks

Charlie

If you've got an iPhone...

Belkin