Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Impossible to clean sash windows

I've got some sash windows where the bottom half isn't just painted-in,
it was never designed to open. The problem is how do you clean the
outside glass, because when you open the top half those panes are
covered up - so you can't clean from the inside of the house.

They are also on the 2nd floor (UK parlance) and somewhat out of reach
of ladders. Is there a cunning gadget I can get to solve this?
--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/07/12 12:08, Roland Perry wrote:
I've got some sash windows where the bottom half isn't just painted-in,
it was never designed to open. The problem is how do you clean the
outside glass, because when you open the top half those panes are
covered up - so you can't clean from the inside of the house.

They are also on the 2nd floor (UK parlance) and somewhat out of reach
of ladders. Is there a cunning gadget I can get to solve this?

I've not used them, but there are plenty of magnetic window cleaners
available, where the outside part is secured with a cord. I imagine you
could lower the outside part down until it hopefully rests against the
lower pane and then close the window sufficiently, to be able to clean
most of it ! Well, it sounds good in theory.

Andy C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Cap" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 29/07/12 12:08, Roland Perry wrote:
I've got some sash windows where the bottom half isn't just painted-in,
it was never designed to open. The problem is how do you clean the
outside glass, because when you open the top half those panes are
covered up - so you can't clean from the inside of the house.

They are also on the 2nd floor (UK parlance) and somewhat out of reach
of ladders. Is there a cunning gadget I can get to solve this?

I've not used them, but there are plenty of magnetic window cleaners
available, where the outside part is secured with a cord. I imagine you
could lower the outside part down until it hopefully rests against the
lower pane and then close the window sufficiently, to be able to clean
most of it ! Well, it sounds good in theory.

Andy C

There are also those pole things.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/07/2012 13:10, Owain wrote:
On Jul 29, 12:08 pm, Roland Perry wrote:
I've got some sash windows where the bottom half isn't just painted-in,
it was never designed to open. The problem is how do you clean the
outside glass, because when you open the top half those panes are
covered up - so you can't clean from the inside of the house.

In the past I've used a washing-up-liquid bottle with a short length
of plastic hose on, to slip through the gap between the top and bottom
sashes when the top one is opened slightly, to wash the bottom window.

Owain

I think I'd take the sash out. You should just be able to remove one
vertical section of the staff bead and lift it out
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/07/2012 13:38, stuart noble wrote:
On 29/07/2012 13:10, Owain wrote:
On Jul 29, 12:08 pm, Roland Perry wrote:
I've got some sash windows where the bottom half isn't just painted-in,
it was never designed to open. The problem is how do you clean the
outside glass, because when you open the top half those panes are
covered up - so you can't clean from the inside of the house.

In the past I've used a washing-up-liquid bottle with a short length
of plastic hose on, to slip through the gap between the top and bottom
sashes when the top one is opened slightly, to wash the bottom window.

Owain

I think I'd take the sash out. You should just be able to remove one
vertical section of the staff bead and lift it out

Except that if it wasn't designed to open, it ain't going to lift out!
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/07/2012 18:52, Roger Mills wrote:
On 29/07/2012 13:38, stuart noble wrote:
On 29/07/2012 13:10, Owain wrote:
On Jul 29, 12:08 pm, Roland Perry wrote:
I've got some sash windows where the bottom half isn't just painted-in,
it was never designed to open. The problem is how do you clean the
outside glass, because when you open the top half those panes are
covered up - so you can't clean from the inside of the house.

In the past I've used a washing-up-liquid bottle with a short length
of plastic hose on, to slip through the gap between the top and bottom
sashes when the top one is opened slightly, to wash the bottom window.

Owain

I think I'd take the sash out. You should just be able to remove one
vertical section of the staff bead and lift it out

Except that if it wasn't designed to open, it ain't going to lift out!

IME the only difference is the fixed sashes may be nailed to the box.
Pretty easy to devise some other fixing method so that it can be
reversed for cleaning.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , at 18:52:31 on Sun, 29 Jul
2012, Roger Mills remarked:

I think I'd take the sash out. You should just be able to remove one
vertical section of the staff bead and lift it out

Except that if it wasn't designed to open, it ain't going to lift out!

Taking the top half out might work... but I'm not about to start
chopping out beads.
--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , at 19:26:45 on Sun, 29 Jul
2012, stuart noble remarked:

Except that if it wasn't designed to open, it ain't going to lift out!

IME the only difference is the fixed sashes may be nailed to the box.

And painted in, and no cords.
--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/07/2012 20:04, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 18:52:31 on Sun, 29 Jul
2012, Roger Mills remarked:

I think I'd take the sash out. You should just be able to remove one
vertical section of the staff bead and lift it out

Except that if it wasn't designed to open, it ain't going to lift out!

Taking the top half out might work... but I'm not about to start
chopping out beads.

Normally, taking the top half out is a pain. The inner sash is normally
the bottom one, and this is only held in place by the staff bead. No
chopping necessary, the bead just prises off. Also no need to touch the
parting bead.
It really is no big deal to reverse a lower sash every now and then for
cleaning. Mine were back to front for weeks while I was doing a bit of
restoration.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , at 21:32:31 on Sun, 29
Jul 2012, stuart noble remarked:

Normally, taking the top half out is a pain. The inner sash is normally
the bottom one, and this is only held in place by the staff bead. No
chopping necessary, the bead just prises off. Also no need to touch the
parting bead.

The lower one is the inner one, but there are three substantial beads
holding it in, and as it's immovable maybe more than just the paint
fixing it there as well.

I'm becoming more optimistic about being able to open it half a pane,
and then use some sort of angled brush.
--
Roland Perry

Posted to uk.d-i-y

My window cleaner has a very long pole to clean windows,
a bit like this. He can get to the third floor with it
(actually, second floor, but the only place to stand is
as basement level)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/3799658...01/3480707985/

JGH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/07/2012 21:45, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 21:32:31 on Sun, 29
Jul 2012, stuart noble remarked:

Normally, taking the top half out is a pain. The inner sash is
normally the bottom one, and this is only held in place by the staff
bead. No chopping necessary, the bead just prises off. Also no need to
touch the parting bead.

The lower one is the inner one, but there are three substantial beads
holding it in, and as it's immovable maybe more than just the paint
fixing it there as well.

It would be unusual if the beads weren't easily removable. The basic
design of sliding sashes allows most things to be done from inside.
Also, as things stand, any maintenance or painting is out of the question

Sash Windows Roger Mills[_2_] UK diy 10 December 17th 10 06:35 PM
Sash Windows Endulini UK diy 31 July 2nd 09 12:01 AM
Sash Windows george (dicegeorge) UK diy 8 July 1st 09 08:13 PM
Sash Windows #2 Mark Watson UK diy 6 August 1st 05 07:41 PM
sash windows dave UK diy 8 September 12th 03 09:33 AM