Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Sash Windows

Can anyone please point to any on-line sources of information on
maintaining and repairing Georgian-style sliding sash windows. There
doesn't seem to be any reference to these in the DIY FAQ of Wiki.

My holiday flat - which is part of a converted Georgian building - has
this type of window. Some of the counter-weights tend to jam in their
chambers, so I need to dismantle them to see what's going on. Although I
know more or less how they work, some diagrams of various cross-sections
- showing how the components separate - would be very useful. A couple
of centuries of paint make it very difficult to see where they split -
so I need to know where to insert the blade of my MultiMaster!
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 12, 8:12 pm, Roger Mills wrote:
Can anyone please point to any on-line sources of information on
maintaining and repairing Georgian-style sliding sash windows. There
doesn't seem to be any reference to these in the DIY FAQ of Wiki.

My holiday flat - which is part of a converted Georgian building - has
this type of window. Some of the counter-weights tend to jam in their
chambers, so I need to dismantle them to see what's going on. Although I
know more or less how they work, some diagrams of various cross-sections
- showing how the components separate - would be very useful. A couple
of centuries of paint make it very difficult to see where they split -
so I need to know where to insert the blade of my MultiMaster!
--
Cheers,
Roger
____________
checked.

http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/...ashandcase.pdf

may assist

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 12, 8:12*pm, Roger Mills wrote:
Can anyone please point to any on-line sources of information on
maintaining and repairing Georgian-style sliding sash windows. There
doesn't seem to be any reference to these in the DIY FAQ of Wiki.

My holiday flat - which is part of a converted Georgian building - has
this type of window. Some of the counter-weights tend to jam in their
chambers, so I need to dismantle them to see what's going on. Although I
know more or less how they work, some diagrams of various cross-sections
- showing how the components separate - would be very useful. A couple
of centuries of paint make it very difficult to see where they split -
so I need to know where to insert the blade of my MultiMaster!

Put the multimaster away, you shouldnt be cutting anything. Basic
handtools are all it takes.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/12/2010 20:12, Roger Mills wrote:
Can anyone please point to any on-line sources of information on
maintaining and repairing Georgian-style sliding sash windows. There
doesn't seem to be any reference to these in the DIY FAQ of Wiki.

My holiday flat - which is part of a converted Georgian building - has
this type of window. Some of the counter-weights tend to jam in their
chambers, so I need to dismantle them to see what's going on. Although I
know more or less how they work, some diagrams of various cross-sections
- showing how the components separate - would be very useful. A couple
of centuries of paint make it very difficult to see where they split -
so I need to know where to insert the blade of my MultiMaster!

In Victorian boxes there is normally a very thin strip of wood running
the length (but only fixed at the top) that separates the two weights
and stops them fouling each other. This might be damaged or broken.

If you remove the parting bead and the sash pocket (neither is normally
fixed), all should be revealed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 13, 11:49 am, stuart noble wrote:
[...]

aka "parting slip"; "wag tail"

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/12/2010 23:34, Tabby wrote:

you shouldnt be cutting anything.

Absolutely. The sash pocket is rebated into the box and there is no way
of putting it back if you cut through the joint.

As a last resort you can always drill a 35mm plug hole towards the top
of the box, which can then be covered with a kitchen hinge cover plate.
I had to do this once where the weights jammed solid at the top, and
there was no other way to get access
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 12, 8:12 pm, Roger wrote:
Can anyone please point to any on-line sources of information on
maintaining and repairing Georgian-style sliding sash windows. There
doesn't seem to be any reference to these in the DIY FAQ of Wiki.

My holiday flat - which is part of a converted Georgian building - has
this type of window. Some of the counter-weights tend to jam in their
chambers, so I need to dismantle them to see what's going on. Although I
know more or less how they work, some diagrams of various cross-sections
- showing how the components separate - would be very useful. A couple
of centuries of paint make it very difficult to see where they split -
so I need to know where to insert the blade of my MultiMaster!

Put the multimaster away, you shouldnt be cutting anything. Basic
handtools are all it takes.

NT

Fair comment! However, I also had in mind (but didn't mention in my
will all the gaps painted over, so that you can't see where they are.
The MultiMaster might just be useful for *those*.

In case anyone is interested, I have discovered since asking the
question, that there is some interesting video on refurbishing sash
windows on the Mighton site at
:http://www.mightonproducts.com/catal...0ab7bb1695be0b

--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 12, 8:12 pm, Roger wrote:
[...]

Just put it back under the Xmas tree :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 13, 11:49*am, stuart noble wrote:
In Victorian boxes there is normally a very thin strip of wood running
the length (but only fixed at the top) that separates the two weights
and stops them fouling each other. This might be damaged or broken.

If you remove the parting bead and the sash pocket (neither is normally
fixed), all should be revealed.

IME both are usually pretty firmly fixed - with decades of paint.

It might be helpful to remove (?all) the paint. If you decide to use
a hot air gun, be careful; unless it has been stripped fairly
recently, the bottom few layers of paint will be lead.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/12/2010 14:02, Martin Bonner wrote:
On Dec 13, 11:49 am, stuart wrote:
In Victorian boxes there is normally a very thin strip of wood running
the length (but only fixed at the top) that separates the two weights
and stops them fouling each other. This might be damaged or broken.

If you remove the parting bead and the sash pocket (neither is normally
fixed), all should be revealed.

IME both are usually pretty firmly fixed - with decades of paint.

Then tap a 4" paint scraper along the edge with a hammer. Cuts through
the paint but is thin enough not to damage the wood.

It might be helpful to remove (?all) the paint. If you decide to use
a hot air gun, be careful; unless it has been stripped fairly
recently, the bottom few layers of paint will be lead.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 12, 8:12*pm, Roger Mills wrote:
Can anyone please point to any on-line sources of information on
maintaining and repairing Georgian-style sliding sash windows. There
doesn't seem to be any reference to these in the DIY FAQ of Wiki.

My holiday flat - which is part of a converted Georgian building - has
this type of window. Some of the counter-weights tend to jam in their
chambers, so I need to dismantle them to see what's going on. Although I
know more or less how they work, some diagrams of various cross-sections
- showing how the components separate - would be very useful. A couple
of centuries of paint make it very difficult to see where they split -
so I need to know where to insert the blade of my MultiMaster!

Number one fault = paint on the windows.
Pull the bead "sash bead" off the inside edge and refit after
replacing the middle "parting bead" if it breaks when you take it off
to clean that or throw it away anyway. (Once you know you can get -and
have got, replacement beads.)

Rub with candle wax before replacing.

Other likely causes
Paint on the chord
Stretched chord
Nails sticking in the sash weight boxes. (They'd have to be really ham
fisted fixers to do that.)

Fix for Sash Windows which won't stay up Mark Watson UK diy 40 December 11th 20 10:12 AM
Sash Windows Endulini UK diy 31 July 2nd 09 12:01 AM
Sash Windows george (dicegeorge) UK diy 8 July 1st 09 08:13 PM
Sash Windows #2 Mark Watson UK diy 6 August 1st 05 07:41 PM
sash windows dave UK diy 8 September 12th 03 09:33 AM