Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Sash Windows

How should sash windows be used?

I read somewhere that you open the top of the upstairs ones in warm weather,
the bottom in cold weather,
or vice versa,
i cant remember which way to keep the house cool in summer,
help please..

[g]
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 30, 2:54*pm, "george (dicegeorge)"
wrote:
How should sash windows be used?

I read somewhere that you open the top of the upstairs ones in warm weather,
the bottom in cold weather,
or vice versa,
i cant remember which way to keep the house cool in summer,
help please..

[g]

All other things being equal (which they aren't) I would have thought
that to keep cool in summer you needed bottom panes open on the cool
side of the house and top panes open on the hot side of the house to
allow the hotter air to flow outside. On the other hand, if like me
your sash windows are low down and you have young children, just open
the tops and hope for a draught!

Matt
Posted to uk.d-i-y

george (dicegeorge) wrote:
How should sash windows be used?

I read somewhere that you open the top of the upstairs ones in warm
weather,
the bottom in cold weather,
or vice versa,
i cant remember which way to keep the house cool in summer,
help please..

I thought the idea was to open both top and bottom. Top to vent hot air,
and bottom to admit cooler air.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30 June, 14:54, "george (dicegeorge)" wrote:
How should sash windows be used?

I read somewhere that you open the top of the upstairs ones in warm weather,
the bottom in cold weather,
or vice versa,
i cant remember which way to keep the house cool in summer,
help please..

Why would you want to open your windows in cold weather?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tommy wrote:
On 30 June, 14:54, "george (dicegeorge)" wrote:
How should sash windows be used?

I read somewhere that you open the top of the upstairs ones in warm weather,
the bottom in cold weather,
or vice versa,
i cant remember which way to keep the house cool in summer,
help please..

Why would you want to open your windows in cold weather?

ventilation, rayburn smoke, smelly socks...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
How should sash windows be used?

I read somewhere that you open the top of the upstairs ones in

warm weather,
the bottom in cold weather,
or vice versa,
i cant remember which way to keep the house cool in summer,
help please..

The clue is in the fact that hot air rises, so open the top in warm
weather to let out the hot air, and the bottom in winter for
ventilation trapping the warmer air above the opening.

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
How should sash windows be used?

I read somewhere that you open the top of the upstairs ones in

warm weather,
the bottom in cold weather,
or vice versa,
i cant remember which way to keep the house cool in summer,
help please..

The clue is in the fact that hot air rises, so open the top in warm
weather to let out the hot air, and the bottom in winter for
ventilation trapping the warmer air above the opening.

AWEM

I've lived in houses with sash windows all my life, I randomly open
top or bottom, and I can't say I've ever noticed it makes one jot of
difference which you choose. I think some overanalysis is going on
here.

Cheers!

Martin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
How should sash windows be used?

I read somewhere that you open the top of the upstairs ones in

warm weather,
the bottom in cold weather,
or vice versa,
i cant remember which way to keep the house cool in summer,
help please..

The clue is in the fact that hot air rises, so open the top in warm
weather to let out the hot air, and the bottom in winter for
ventilation trapping the warmer air above the opening.

AWEM

I've lived in houses with sash windows all my life, I randomly open
top or bottom, and I can't say I've ever noticed it makes one jot of
difference which you choose. I think some overanalysis is going on
here.

Cheers!

Martin

If you put a thermometer at each location you'll soon know.

NT

Sash Windows Endulini UK diy 31 July 2nd 09 12:01 AM
Sash Windows: Quotes zeebop UK diy 33 September 15th 06 08:47 AM
Sash Windows #2 Mark Watson UK diy 6 August 1st 05 07:41 PM
Sash windows stops Haslitt UK diy 7 May 14th 05 09:19 AM
sash windows dave UK diy 8 September 12th 03 09:33 AM