Posted to uk.d-i-y
NT[_2_] NT[_2_] is offline

Default Sash Windows

On Jun 30, 7:14*pm, wrote:
On 30 June, 19:08, "Andrew Mawson"

wrote:
"Tommy" wrote in message

On 30 June, 14:54, "george (dicegeorge)"

wrote:
How should sash windows be used?

I read somewhere that you open the top of the upstairs ones in

warm weather,
the bottom in cold weather,
or vice versa,
i cant remember which way to keep the house cool in summer,
help please..

The clue is in the fact that hot air rises, so open the top in warm
weather to let out the hot air, and the bottom in winter for
ventilation trapping the warmer air above the opening.

AWEM

I've lived in houses with sash windows all my life, I randomly open
top or bottom, and I can't say I've ever noticed it makes one jot of
difference which you choose. I think some overanalysis is going on
here.

Cheers!

Martin

If you put a thermometer at each location you'll soon know.

NT