Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 2 satellite dishes on one house?

In article , Andy
Burns scribeth thus
harry wrote:

I have a double LNB They sell them in screwfix.
http://www.screwfix.com/p/labgear-monoblock-lnb/32389

Is there anything worth watching 6 degrees either side of Astra 2A/2B/2D/1N?

I rather doubt that in the UK you can go much more than 6 deg further
East !..

As we have a foreign SWMBO here she likes her French telly and can
understand German etc so we have on the one dish,

13, 19 and 28.2 deg and on the other at 5 West the main French TV.

The Mono block you'll sometimes see advertised is meant for 13 Hotbird
and 19 ASTRA near as dammit 6 deg...

A dual LNB is just that Two LNB's in one on the one satellite position .

As to worth watching there is very little English language TV once your
off ASTRA 28.2

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

X-POST added

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
o.uk...
Bob Minchin wrote:

planning requirements have changed quite a bit
since then and in most cases, they have relaxed rather than tightened.

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/per...jects/antenna/

Oooh I have a TV aerial, a DAB aerial, an FM aerial and a dish, better
hope dennis doesn't snitch

I've x-posted to uk.tech.digital-tv because that is where the aerial
installers hang out.

If I read the contents of the above link correctly:

"an antenna mounted on the roof only sticks out above the roof when there is
a chimney-stack. In this case, the antenna should not stick out more than 60
centimetres above the highest part of the roof, or above the highest part of
the chimney stack, whichever is lower."

virtually all the installations I can see from my house require planning
permission because they are above the top of the chimney which is above the
top of the house.

I know my last installation at a previous house (hoisted high on an alloy
scaffolding pole and still high and proud) is well outside these limits.

The ambiguous phrasing of
"if you are installing a single antenna, it is not more than 100 centimetres
in any linear dimension (not including any projecting feed element,
reinforcing rim, mounting and brackets);"
makes me wonder if the modern toast racks you see are within these rules.

I can also, from where I am sitting now, see a roof with two poles and three
TV aerials on the chimney (although all look so eroded they are probably not
in current use) which are all above roof and chimney height.

Pondering further on "mounted on the roof" does that mean that there are no
restrictions if it is mounted on a wall (e.g. a gable end)?

This all looks very silly.

Cheers

Dave R
[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo om,
brass monkey escribió:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duo_LNB

Shows how much he knows, eh?

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
news
harry wrote:

I have a double LNB They sell them in screwfix.
http://www.screwfix.com/p/labgear-monoblock-lnb/32389

Is there anything worth watching 6 degrees either side of Astra
2A/2B/2D/1N?

Is that what it gives with your dish?
It varies with the size of the dish and its focal length.
The screwfix site doesn't even tell you what it is for each dish type.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tony sayer wrote:

Andy scribeth thus:

Is there anything worth watching 6 degrees either side of Astra 2A/2B/2D/1N?

As we have a foreign SWMBO here she likes her French telly and can
understand German etc so we have on the one dish

13, 19 and 28.2 deg and on the other at 5 West the main French TV.

Yeah a monoblock (as intended) for 13/19.2 but for the UK a monoblock by
itself is a chocolate teapot, I have a quad on 28.2E and a single on
19.2E for the "other" F1 ... is it this week that the analogue
transponders get switched off on 19.2?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 00:55:39 +0100, geoff wrote:

Dennis - my wi-fi (well, I have two actually), gives a good enough
signal all over the house and garden

Well if your plot is the size of a postage stamp and house built of
cardboard it probably will. Have a little bit of land and house made
of stone and things are very different.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/04/2012 09:16, Andy Burns wrote:
tony sayer wrote:

Andy scribeth thus:

Is there anything worth watching 6 degrees either side of Astra
2A/2B/2D/1N?

As we have a foreign SWMBO here she likes her French telly and can
understand German etc so we have on the one dish

13, 19 and 28.2 deg and on the other at 5 West the main French TV.

Yeah a monoblock (as intended) for 13/19.2 but for the UK a monoblock by
itself is a chocolate teapot, I have a quad on 28.2E and a single on
19.2E for the "other" F1 ... is it this week that the analogue
transponders get switched off on 19.2?

Zone 2 dish, Humber area, two Sky type quad LNBs. I get 28.2 and 19.2
with no problems (all digital) so Arte, RTL etc. The latter for F1.

--
Pete
Lose (rhymes with fuse) is a verb, the opposite of find. Loose (rhymes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 29 Apr 2012 20:37:01 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/per...jects/antenna/

Good link, we are in an ANOB and not come across the additional
restriction befo

"an antenna is not installed on a chimney, wall, or a roof slope
which faces onto, and is visible from, a road or a Broads waterway."

I wonder what the defintion of being "visible from, a road" is?

There is a road across the other side of the valley about a mile away
from which you have direct line of sight to our dish. Or it's visible
from about 25 yds down the road that passes the house.

Technically I don't think there is any "chimney, wall or a roof
slope" on this building that is *not* visible from "a road" some
where.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

snip
This all looks very silly.

I think the problem comes from a slightly sloppy heading to the guidance
on planning portal. It is headed "Satellite,TV and Radio Antenna". But
ISTM the underlying regulations cited deal (simplifying greatly to keep
just the relevant bits) ) only with satellite (and terrestrial
microwave) antennae. Take eg the reference to a limit of 130
centimetres on antenna. That'd make unlawful the use of a lot of Blake
DMX aerials but I see no signs of Bill et al being done for fitting
them. Amending the heading to "Satellite antenna for TV & Radio" might
be a good quick fix.
--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

Whatever happened to that lens system for sat reception whre the glass of a
window was changed and some stick on metal rings were put on and the lnb
was inside?
Also seem to recall Revox patenting aan aerial that looked like a public
address horn.

Brian

Email:

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message
X-POST added

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
o.uk...
Bob Minchin wrote:

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mike Tomlinson" wrote in message
En el artículo om,
brass monkey escribió:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duo_LNB

Shows how much he knows, eh?

He types 100 words for 1 and liberally sprays bull****. I don't see the
point.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message
X-POST added

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
o.uk...
Bob Minchin wrote:

[...]

Odd to see the term "antenna" used here. "Aerial" is the common term for
broadcast stuff - I tend to use antenna only for radio astronomy - in a
probing sort of way.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

"Robin" wrote in message
snip
This all looks very silly.

I think the problem comes from a slightly sloppy heading to the guidance
on planning portal. It is headed "Satellite,TV and Radio Antenna". But
ISTM the underlying regulations cited deal (simplifying greatly to keep
just the relevant bits) ) only with satellite (and terrestrial microwave)
antennae. Take eg the reference to a limit of 130 centimetres on
antenna. That'd make unlawful the use of a lot of Blake DMX aerials but I
see no signs of Bill et al being done for fitting them. Amending the
heading to "Satellite antenna for TV & Radio" might be a good quick fix.
--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

and then it would be "antennae"

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

"Geoff Pearson" wrote in message

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message
X-POST added

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
o.uk...
Bob Minchin wrote:

[...]

Common usage keeps changing with living languages.

That happened with airfield/airport too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"Geoff Pearson" wrote in message

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message
X-POST added

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
o.uk...
Bob Minchin wrote:

[...]

But airfield and airport now have separate meanings. Antenna isn't used by
anyone, is it? I am a licensed radio amateur.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
BartC wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Andy Burns wrote

or a motorised one if you want "the lot", why would someone choose
multiple dishes?

When they want to record or watch from more than one at once.

I could get nearly a thousand channels on my dish, but I struggled to
find even one channel worth watching, let alone want to record.

I watch almost nothing live, watch everything from recorded, so I can skip
over the ads, even on the national govt broadcasters
and so I can watch it when I want to rather than when they choose
to broadcast it. The only thing I do watch live is the national govt
evening TV news and even then only till the sport starts.

I use terrestrial broadcasts too, but I don't need a dish for those; the
dish was for European broadcasts on Hotbird 13°E. And believe me there is
nothing worth watching, even if you know the languages. So never had the
need to set up a scheduled recording, which would have been a right pain
anyway.

--
Bartc

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Stephen H" wrote in message

last time I looked at satellite dishes and PP:

you are allowed up to two satellite dishes, one being up to 1.0m and the
other up to 60cm diameter provided you do not live in an AONB "area of
natural outstanding beauty" or other picturesque surroundings.

The other main restriction is related to leasehold properties where the
landlord(s) have the "right" to impose their own restrictions on the
leaseholders.

I often just kept my dishes on the ground. I don't imagine planning
permission would apply then; it would just be a (slightly odd) bit of garden
furniture.

--
Bartc

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 13:17:32 +0100, BartC wrote:

I often just kept my dishes on the ground. I don't imagine planning
permission would apply then;

Read that Planning Portal link posted earlier:

"there will be no more than two antennas on the property overall.
(These may be on the front or back of the building, on the roof,
attached to the chimney, or in the garden);"

It goes to four for a building 15m high.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, April 29, 2012 7:46:31 PM UTC+1, wrote:
Is this allowed?

I have heard it suggested that you need PP to have 2.

Assuming you are not in a conservation area and house is 15m high:

Max 2 antennas per house.
First antenna =100cm
Second antenna =60cm
any antenna on chimney stack or above roofline must be =60cm

"antenna" ihcludes radio and TV aerials, not just sat dishes.

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/per...ojects/antenna

Round here (Cambridge) you routinely see houses with more than one sat dish plus TV aerial so either it's easy to get PP or nobody cares.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 13:17:32 +0100, BartC wrote:

I often just kept my dishes on the ground. I don't imagine planning
permission would apply then;

Read that Planning Portal link posted earlier:

"there will be no more than two antennas on the property overall.
(These may be on the front or back of the building, on the roof,
attached to the chimney, or in the garden);"

So it will have to go on the side then...

--
Bartc

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/04/2012 09:40, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 00:55:39 +0100, geoff wrote:

Dennis - my wi-fi (well, I have two actually), gives a good enough
signal all over the house and garden

Well if your plot is the size of a postage stamp and house built of
cardboard it probably will. Have a little bit of land and house made
of stone and things are very different.

Foil backed plasterboard, can bugger a wireless lan quite effectively.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/04/2012 08:06, harry wrote:
On Apr 29, 8:37 pm, Andy wrote:
Bob Minchin wrote:
planning requirements have changed quite a bit
since then and in most cases, they have relaxed rather than tightened.

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/per...jects/antenna/

Oooh I have a TV aerial, a DAB aerial, an FM aerial and a dish, better
hope dennis doesn't snitch

Must look like a Russian trawler!

The aerials or dennis?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/04/2012 20:37, Andy Burns wrote:
Bob Minchin wrote:

planning requirements have changed quite a bit
since then and in most cases, they have relaxed rather than tightened.

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/per...jects/antenna/

Oooh I have a TV aerial, a DAB aerial, an FM aerial and a dish, better
hope dennis doesn't snitch

The not more than 1m in any direction and not more than 60cm above the
top of the chimney, would suggest that just about every single aerial in
this area (or any other fringe area) would not comply...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 11:23:17 +0100, Geoff Pearson wrote:

Odd to see the term "antenna" used here. "Aerial" is the common term
for broadcast stuff - I tend to use antenna only for radio astronomy -
in a probing sort of way.

When I studied this stuff, the module title used the 'antenna' word, so
it's all I use.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
harry wrote:

Andy wrote:

Oooh I have a TV aerial, a DAB aerial, an FM aerial and a dish, better
hope dennis doesn't snitch

Must look like a Russian trawler!

The TV is a log periodic, far more discreet than the 175 element digital
bling most seem to have, the DAB is vertical and relatively close to the
mast, the FM is the largest and now practically unused, dish is low down
and set back over the garage roof, it and its brackets all sprayed with
matt plastikote, no cables visible.

i've got TV and FM in the loft. Works fine. The log periodic TV was hard
to obtain everyone wants to sell you a Yagi - but neat and just right
for the range (10-12 miles reasonably unobstructed)

I suspect rather than CAB id go intyernet or DVB-T and build a rasbeppry
pi box with wifi and a TV tuner....

and how hard it is to achieve it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

Geoff Pearson wrote:

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

Common usage keeps changing with living languages.

That happened with airfield/airport too.

But airfield and airport now have separate meanings. Antenna isn't used
by anyone, is it? I am a licensed radio amateur.

Aerial=UK
antenna =USA

I don't think Australians have a term beyond 'magicwand'

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 00:55:39 +0100, geoff wrote:

Dennis - my wi-fi (well, I have two actually), gives a good enough
signal all over the house and garden

Well if your plot is the size of a postage stamp and house built of
cardboard it probably will. Have a little bit of land and house made
of stone and things are very different.

Or covered in rendered metal mesh. I cant even reach from the office to
the kitchen reliably here.

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On 30/04/2012 10:00, Robin wrote:
snip
This all looks very silly.

I think the problem comes from a slightly sloppy heading to the guidance
on planning portal. It is headed "Satellite,TV and Radio Antenna". But
ISTM the underlying regulations cited deal (simplifying greatly to keep
just the relevant bits) ) only with satellite (and terrestrial
microwave) antennae. Take eg the reference to a limit of 130
centimetres on antenna. That'd make unlawful the use of a lot of Blake
DMX aerials but I see no signs of Bill et al being done for fitting
them. Amending the heading to "Satellite antenna for TV& Radio" might
be a good quick fix.

Yes that would make a good deal more sense...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 12:54:55 +0100, "Geoff Pearson"
wrote:

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"Geoff Pearson" wrote in message

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message
X-POST added

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
o.uk...
Bob Minchin wrote:

[...]

And of course nobody would ever call us a Ham unless we happened to be
Baron Rix, of Whitehall or perhaps the late Tony Hancock ;-)

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 14:07:38 +0100, BartC wrote:

"there will be no more than two antennas on the property overall.
(These may be on the front or back of the building, on the roof,
attached to the chimney, or in the garden);"

So it will have to go on the side then...

I like your thinking. I love it when some suit trys to be specific
but lacks the brain to think things through fully. B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On 29/04/12 22:00, Andy Burns wrote:

Err not exactly, but I hadn't seen antennae and dishes lumped together
for the maximum count of two, did previous planning guides state
explicitly only one dish without permission? I thought the problem used
to be flats where one occupant installed a dish, effectively blocking
the other occupants from having their own?

The problem with flats is not so muc blocking as the eyesore created by
multiple dishes sprouting all over the walls of the property.
Unfortunately arranging one effective communal aerial can be difficult.

As John says, there's not much need for more than one dish anyway, a
quad or octo LNB on 28.2E and perhaps another LNB on 19.2E to get pick
up F1, or a motorised one if you want "the lot", why would someone
choose multiple dishes?

--
djc

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/04/2012 19:46, ARWadsworth wrote:
Is this allowed?

I have heard it suggested that you need PP to have 2.

The rules are set out here.

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/per...jects/antenna/

Peter Crosland
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article 23234792.584.1335789941216.JavaMail.geo-discussion-
forums@vbpz13, RobertL scribeth thus
On Sunday, April 29, 2012 7:46:31 PM UTC+1, wrote:
Is this allowed?

I have heard it suggested that you need PP to have 2.

Assuming you are not in a conservation area and house is 15m high:

Max 2 antennas per house.
First antenna =100cm
Second antenna =60cm
any antenna on chimney stack or above roofline must be =60cm

"antenna" ihcludes radio and TV aerials, not just sat dishes.

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/per...ojects/antenna

Round here (Cambridge) you routinely see houses with more than one sat dish plus
TV aerial so either it's easy to get PP or nobody cares.

That is a very poorly worded document. Whoever wrote that hasn't that
much idea about aerials let alone antennas;!....

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

djc wrote:
On 29/04/12 22:00, Andy Burns wrote:

Err not exactly, but I hadn't seen antennae and dishes lumped together
for the maximum count of two, did previous planning guides state
explicitly only one dish without permission? I thought the problem used
to be flats where one occupant installed a dish, effectively blocking
the other occupants from having their own?

The problem with flats is not so muc blocking as the eyesore created by
multiple dishes sprouting all over the walls of the property.
Unfortunately arranging one effective communal aerial can be difficult.

Technically it is bloody simple.

Politically its a bloody nightmare.

As John says, there's not much need for more than one dish anyway, a
quad or octo LNB on 28.2E and perhaps another LNB on 19.2E to get pick
up F1, or a motorised one if you want "the lot", why would someone
choose multiple dishes?

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 29 Apr 2012 23:05:39 +0100, MarkG wrote:

On Sun, 29 Apr 2012 19:46:31 +0100, ARWadsworth
wrote:

Is this allowed?

I have heard it suggested that you need PP to have 2.

Not sure, but have you considered multiple LNB's on a single dish?
They don't even need to point to the same satellites, I have a 60CM
dish with a quadLNB for usual FreeSat reception, with a single LNB
pointed at Astra 19 degrees so I can pickup F1 from those nice German
people at RTL.

Surprising number of people here also picking up German F1. I wonder how
Radio5Live's viewing figures have gone up this year....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo om,
brass monkey escribió:

He types 100 words for 1 and liberally sprays bull****. I don't see the
point.

He's lonely in his little hovel in New South Wales with no rellies close
by to breed with.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Is this allowed?

I have heard it suggested that you need PP to have 2.

Not sure, but have you considered multiple LNB's on a single dish?
They don't even need to point to the same satellites, I have a 60CM
dish with a quadLNB for usual FreeSat reception, with a single LNB
pointed at Astra 19 degrees so I can pickup F1 from those nice German
people at RTL.

Surprising number of people here also picking up German F1. I wonder how
Radio5Live's viewing figures have gone up this year....

It's OK if you record both and can play back at the same time to get
them synchronised. But if live then R5 is about 20 seconds ahead of the
RTL picture. Very bad.

--
Pete
Lose (rhymes with fuse) is a verb, the opposite of find. Loose (rhymes
with juice) is an adjective, the opposite of tight.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Is this allowed?

I have heard it suggested that you need PP to have 2.

Not sure, but have you considered multiple LNB's on a single dish?
They don't even need to point to the same satellites, I have a 60CM
dish with a quadLNB for usual FreeSat reception, with a single LNB
pointed at Astra 19 degrees so I can pickup F1 from those nice German
people at RTL.

Surprising number of people here also picking up German F1. I wonder how
Radio5Live's viewing figures have gone up this year....

It's OK if you record both and can play back at the same time to get
them synchronised. But if live then R5 is about 20 seconds ahead of the
RTL picture. Very bad.

Really? I streamed it on my laptop, it was virtually identical, less than
a second, as at the last race, he even said the lights going out...

I do know that RTL Austria is a little bit delayed, but the main RTL World
feed was VERY closed indeed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"Geoff Pearson" wrote in message

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message
X-POST added

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
o.uk...
Bob Minchin wrote:

[...]

They didn't originally.

Antenna isn't used by anyone, is it?

Yep, by heaps.

I am a licensed radio amateur.

Me too.

Distributing satellite TV around the house Simon \(Dark Angel\)[_4_] UK diy 22 November 8th 09 01:53 PM
What voltage for 18 inch satellite dishes? mm Electronics Repair 30 July 22nd 09 07:34 PM
Mini ('camping') satellite systems -- smaller dishes okay? [email protected] UK diy 18 June 9th 07 10:15 PM
Satellite dishes Nick Maclaren UK diy 20 March 6th 07 07:52 PM
planning enforcement 4 years rule and satellite dishes fancyabrew UK diy 1 June 26th 06 04:15 PM