Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 2 satellite dishes on one house?

Is this allowed?

I have heard it suggested that you need PP to have 2.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:
Is this allowed?

I have heard it suggested that you need PP to have 2.

I found this the hard way when my dear neighbour reported me. That was
about 10 years ago and planning requirements have changed quite a bit
since then and in most cases, they have relaxed rather than tightened.

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:

Is this allowed?
I have heard it suggested that you need PP to have 2.

That's what I thought too, or for one over 1m in diameter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Minchin wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:
Is this allowed?

I have heard it suggested that you need PP to have 2.

I found this the hard way when my dear neighbour reported me. That was
about 10 years ago and planning requirements have changed quite a bit
since then and in most cases, they have relaxed rather than tightened.

You live next door to dennis?

He would be the first to grass you up for for doing such a thing.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 29 Apr 2012 20:27:21 +0100, ARWadsworth wrote:

Bob Minchin wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:
Is this allowed?

I have heard it suggested that you need PP to have 2.

I found this the hard way when my dear neighbour reported me. That was
about 10 years ago and planning requirements have changed quite a bit
since then and in most cases, they have relaxed rather than tightened.

You live next door to dennis?

He would be the first to grass you up for for doing such a thing.

My first thought, too.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Minchin wrote:

planning requirements have changed quite a bit
since then and in most cases, they have relaxed rather than tightened.

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/per...jects/antenna/

Oooh I have a TV aerial, a DAB aerial, an FM aerial and a dish, better
hope dennis doesn't snitch

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Bob Minchin wrote:

planning requirements have changed quite a bit
since then and in most cases, they have relaxed rather than
tightened.

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/per...jects/antenna/

Oooh I have a TV aerial, a DAB aerial, an FM aerial and a dish, better
hope dennis doesn't snitch

But he is such a jobsworth. You have no chance.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
o.uk...
Bob Minchin wrote:

planning requirements have changed quite a bit
since then and in most cases, they have relaxed rather than tightened.

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/per...jects/antenna/

Oooh I have a TV aerial, a DAB aerial, an FM aerial and a dish, better
hope dennis doesn't snitch

Do you use any of them to attack or intimidate others?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/04/2012 19:46, ARWadsworth wrote:
Is this allowed?

I have heard it suggested that you need PP to have 2.

Since you can fit two or more LNBs on the same dish these days, there is
no point anyway.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote
Bob Minchin wrote

planning requirements have changed quite a bit
since then and in most cases, they have relaxed rather than tightened.

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/per...jects/antenna/

Wot the **** is the cubic capacity of a yagi or log periodic ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

"Andy Burns" wrote:

Oooh I have a TV aerial, a DAB aerial, an FM aerial and a dish, better
hope dennis doesn't snitch

Do you use any of them to attack or intimidate others?

Err not exactly, but I hadn't seen antennae and dishes lumped together
for the maximum count of two, did previous planning guides state
explicitly only one dish without permission? I thought the problem used
to be flats where one occupant installed a dish, effectively blocking
the other occupants from having their own?

As John says, there's not much need for more than one dish anyway, a
quad or octo LNB on 28.2E and perhaps another LNB on 19.2E to get pick
up F1, or a motorised one if you want "the lot", why would someone
choose multiple dishes?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
On 29/04/2012 19:46, ARWadsworth wrote:
Is this allowed?

I have heard it suggested that you need PP to have 2.

Since you can fit two or more LNBs on the same dish these days, there
is no point anyway.

So how does that work if you want to view two different satellites?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote
ARWadsworth wrote

Is this allowed?

I have heard it suggested that you need PP to have 2.

Since you can fit two or more LNBs on the
same dish these days, there is no point anyway.

That's just plain wrong when the two satellite arent in the same
place and you want to be able to use them both simultaneously.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/04/2012 22:07, ARWadsworth wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
On 29/04/2012 19:46, ARWadsworth wrote:
Is this allowed?

I have heard it suggested that you need PP to have 2.

Since you can fit two or more LNBs on the same dish these days, there
is no point anyway.

So how does that work if you want to view two different satellites?

See http://www.satlex.net/en/triax-page_1.html

There is a limit as to how wide a span you can get with a single dish.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
On 29/04/2012 19:46, ARWadsworth wrote:
Is this allowed?

I have heard it suggested that you need PP to have 2.

Since you can fit two or more LNBs on the same dish these days, there
is no point anyway.

So how does that work if you want to view two different satellites?

An offset arm on the boom of the dish allows multiple LNBs at different
radial positions.

With a fixed dish, that allows the on-beam sat to shine onto the primary
LNB, and off-beam sats to shine onto the offset LNBs, if the offsets are
calculated carefully.

This will only work if the different sats are all fairly close together.
You can't go off-beam by more more than a few degrees with a fixed dish.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
dennis@home wrote:

"Andy Burns" wrote:

Oooh I have a TV aerial, a DAB aerial, an FM aerial and a dish, better
hope dennis doesn't snitch

Do you use any of them to attack or intimidate others?

Err not exactly, but I hadn't seen antennae and dishes lumped together for
the maximum count of two, did previous planning guides state explicitly
only one dish without permission? I thought the problem used to be flats
where one occupant installed a dish, effectively blocking the other
occupants from having their own?

As John says, there's not much need for more than one dish anyway, a quad
or octo LNB on 28.2E and perhaps another LNB on 19.2E to get pick up F1,
or a motorised one if you want "the lot", why would someone choose
multiple dishes?

When they want to record or watch from more than one at once.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 29 Apr 2012 22:07:34 +0100, ARWadsworth wrote:

Since you can fit two or more LNBs on the same dish these days,

there
is no point anyway.

So how does that work if you want to view two different satellites?

That is how it works, for viewing two different satellites that are
near each other. What you can't do is fit two LNBs so that they can
both see the same satellite. B-) You get around that with an LNB
with multiple outputs, you can get up to eight but that would be a
heck of a bundle of cables. Better to fit a quattro LNB(*) and
multiswitch.

(*) Or a normal quad LNB if the multiswitch can drive it properly.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
dennis@home wrote:

"Andy Burns" wrote:

Oooh I have a TV aerial, a DAB aerial, an FM aerial and a dish, better
hope dennis doesn't snitch

Do you use any of them to attack or intimidate others?

Err not exactly,

Well its not a problem that I care about.
ARW is a weird type that has strange morals, more like the morals of a
criminal.
Reporting crimes against people isn't grassing whatever ARW thinks.
Reporting planning infringements that don't have a direct effect is a waste
of time, let the person that cares do it.
Anyway I have two dishes up. One with a faulty LNB that I just can't get too
without effort and a new one that's in an easier place.

but I hadn't seen antennae and dishes lumped together for the maximum
count of two, did previous planning guides state explicitly only one dish
without permission? I thought the problem used to be flats where one
occupant installed a dish, effectively blocking the other occupants from
having their own?

They are out of date anyway, you really do need sky, freeview, dab and FM as
well as the external WiFi.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

[dishes] are out of date anyway, you really do need sky, freeview, dab and
FM

I don't have sky (though Mr Murdoch does send correspondence for a
Spanish resident to my address) just FTA satellite. I installed DAB
and FM a long time before satellite, made sense to put them up while I
was up there, the amount of time a radio is on in the house would eat
several GB of data per month, and my bandwidth is barely sufficient for
SD iPlayer, let alone HD

as well as the external WiFi.

What's WiFi got to do with it?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Minchin wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:
Is this allowed?

I have heard it suggested that you need PP to have 2.

I found this the hard way when my dear neighbour reported me. That was
about 10 years ago and planning requirements have changed quite a bit
since then and in most cases, they have relaxed rather than tightened.

You live next door to dennis?

He would be the first to grass you up for for doing such a thing.

My first thought, too.

How odd,
my first thought was "How ****ing empty is ARW's life?"

Guess I can add you too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 29 Apr 2012 19:46:31 +0100, ARWadsworth
wrote:

Is this allowed?

I have heard it suggested that you need PP to have 2.

Not sure, but have you considered multiple LNB's on a single dish? They
don't even need to point to the same satellites, I have a 60CM dish with
a quadLNB for usual FreeSat reception, with a single LNB pointed at Astra
19 degrees so I can pickup F1 from those nice German people at RTL.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
"Andy Burns" wrote in message

or a motorised one if you want "the lot", why would someone choose
multiple dishes?

When they want to record or watch from more than one at once.

I could get nearly a thousand channels on my dish, but I struggled to find
even one channel worth watching, let alone want to record. I temporarily
took it down a couple of years ago, haven't bothered putting it back and
haven't missed it...

--
Bartc

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
o.uk...
dennis@home wrote:

[dishes]

I meant the planning rules

are out of date anyway, you really do need sky, freeview, dab and
FM

I don't have sky (though Mr Murdoch does send correspondence for a Spanish
resident to my address) just FTA satellite. I installed DAB and FM a
long time before satellite, made sense to put them up while I was up
there, the amount of time a radio is on in the house would eat several GB
of data per month, and my bandwidth is barely sufficient for SD iPlayer,
let alone HD

as well as the external WiFi.

What's WiFi got to do with it?

Its another needed aerial which makes five, hence the reason the planning
rules are out of date.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

[dishes]

I meant the planning rules

are out of date anyway, you really do need sky, freeview, dab and FM

Ah, I'd read it as "do you really need" rather than "you really do need" ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Jim Newman
writes

Bob Minchin wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:
Is this allowed?

I have heard it suggested that you need PP to have 2.

I found this the hard way when my dear neighbour reported me. That was
about 10 years ago and planning requirements have changed quite a bit
since then and in most cases, they have relaxed rather than tightened.

You live next door to dennis?

He would be the first to grass you up for for doing such a thing.

My first thought, too.

How odd,
my first thought was "How ****ing empty is ARW's life?"

Guess I can add you too.

Better add me and at least half a dozen others then

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy
Burns writes
dennis@home wrote:

[dishes] are out of date anyway, you really do need sky, freeview, dab and
FM

I don't have sky (though Mr Murdoch does send correspondence for a
Spanish resident to my address) just FTA satellite. I installed DAB
and FM a long time before satellite, made sense to put them up while I
was up there, the amount of time a radio is on in the house would eat
several GB of data per month, and my bandwidth is barely sufficient for
SD iPlayer, let alone HD

as well as the external WiFi.

What's WiFi got to do with it?

Don't argue, denboi is an expert

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "dennis@home"
writes

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
news:iYCdnbXpRMayJQDSnZ2dnUVZ7tOdnZ2d@brightview. co.uk...
dennis@home wrote:

[dishes]

I meant the planning rules

are out of date anyway, you really do need sky, freeview, dab and
FM

I don't have sky (though Mr Murdoch does send correspondence for a
Spanish resident to my address) just FTA satellite. I installed DAB
and FM a long time before satellite, made sense to put them up while
I was up there, the amount of time a radio is on in the house would
eat several GB of data per month, and my bandwidth is barely
sufficient for SD iPlayer, let alone HD

as well as the external WiFi.

What's WiFi got to do with it?

Its another needed aerial which makes five, hence the reason the
planning rules are out of date.

How big is your house then den?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

BartC wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Andy Burns wrote

or a motorised one if you want "the lot",
why would someone choose multiple dishes?

When they want to record or watch from more than one at once.

I could get nearly a thousand channels on my dish, but I struggled
to find even one channel worth watching, let alone want to record.

I watch almost nothing live, watch everything from recorded, so
I can skip over the ads, even on the national govt broadcasters
and so I can watch it when I want to rather than when they choose
to broadcast it. The only thing I do watch live is the national govt
evening TV news and even then only till the sport starts.

I don't watch a lot, most evenings only an hour or at most
two and that almost always just a decent in depth doco.

I temporarily took it down a couple of years ago, haven't
bothered putting it back and haven't missed it...

I'd certainly miss some source of what I do choose to watch.

Tho I do read a lot as well.

I also download the best stuff from our national govt radio system,
and listen to it on the phone when walking for exercise. Usually about
1:30-2 hours a session, too boring without something to listen to.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , geoff
writes
In message , "dennis@home"
writes

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
news:iYCdnbXpRMayJQDSnZ2dnUVZ7tOdnZ2d@brightview .co.uk...
dennis@home wrote:

[dishes]

I meant the planning rules

are out of date anyway, you really do need sky, freeview, dab and
FM

I don't have sky (though Mr Murdoch does send correspondence for a
Spanish resident to my address) just FTA satellite. I installed
DAB and FM a long time before satellite, made sense to put them up
while I was up there, the amount of time a radio is on in the house
would eat several GB of data per month, and my bandwidth is barely
sufficient for SD iPlayer, let alone HD

as well as the external WiFi.

What's WiFi got to do with it?

Its another needed aerial which makes five, hence the reason the
planning rules are out of date.

How big is your house then den?

Dennis - my wi-fi (well, I have two actually), gives a good enough
signal all over the house and garden - what do you think you need an
external wi-fi aerial for?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/04/2012 00:45, Rod Speed wrote:
BartC wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Andy Burns wrote

[...]

last time I looked at satellite dishes and PP:

you are allowed up to two satellite dishes, one being up to 1.0m and the
other up to 60cm diameter provided you do not live in an AONB "area of
natural outstanding beauty" or other picturesque surroundings.

The other main restriction is related to leasehold properties where the
landlord(s) have the "right" to impose their own restrictions on the
leaseholders.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/04/2012 00:55, geoff wrote:
In message , geoff
writes
In message , "dennis@home"
writes

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
o.uk...
dennis@home wrote:

[dishes]

I meant the planning rules

are out of date anyway, you really do need sky, freeview, dab and
FM

I don't have sky (though Mr Murdoch does send correspondence for a
Spanish resident to my address) just FTA satellite. I installed DAB
and FM a long time before satellite, made sense to put them up while
I was up there, the amount of time a radio is on in the house would
eat several GB of data per month, and my bandwidth is barely
sufficient for SD iPlayer, let alone HD

as well as the external WiFi.

What's WiFi got to do with it?

Its another needed aerial which makes five, hence the reason the
planning rules are out of date.

How big is your house then den?

Dennis - my wi-fi (well, I have two actually), gives a good enough
signal all over the house and garden - what do you think you need an
external wi-fi aerial for?

you might have two houses that would benefit from a pair of
uni-directional Wi-Fi aerials.....

Stephen
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/04/2012 22:00, Andy Burns wrote:
dennis@home wrote:

"Andy Burns" wrote:

Oooh I have a TV aerial, a DAB aerial, an FM aerial and a dish, better
hope dennis doesn't snitch

Do you use any of them to attack or intimidate others?

Err not exactly, but I hadn't seen antennae and dishes lumped together
for the maximum count of two, did previous planning guides state
explicitly only one dish without permission? I thought the problem used
to be flats where one occupant installed a dish, effectively blocking
the other occupants from having their own?

As John says, there's not much need for more than one dish anyway, a
quad or octo LNB on 28.2E and perhaps another LNB on 19.2E to get pick
up F1, or a motorised one if you want "the lot", why would someone
choose multiple dishes?

One answer to that would be "sky installers"... Someone I know go one to
install a new feed into their bedroom. Rather that hook up a pair of
cables to the exiting quad LNB that had 2 spare outputs and run 15m of
coax, they installed a new dish just round the corner on the same
building! (although first probably was 10' up - so higher than many will
dare to climb)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Stephen H
writes
On 30/04/2012 00:55, geoff wrote:
In message , geoff
writes
In message , "dennis@home"
writes

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
o.uk...
dennis@home wrote:

[dishes]

I meant the planning rules

[...]

I don't see why - when the two networks I have, as I said above, both
cover the house and garden adequately

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
John Rumm wrote
ARWadsworth wrote

Is this allowed?

I have heard it suggested that you need PP to have 2.

Since you can fit two or more LNBs on the same dish these days, there is
no point anyway.

That's just plain wrong when the two satellite arent in the same place and
you want to be able to use them both simultaneously.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duo_LNB

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Stephen H" wrote in message

you might have two houses that would benefit from a pair of
uni-directional Wi-Fi aerials.....

You are wasting your time geof is a troll and not very bright.
The external ones also work well if you want to use your wifi in adjacent
buildings.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 29, 8:37*pm, Andy Burns wrote:
Bob Minchin wrote:
planning requirements have changed quite a bit
since then and in most cases, they have relaxed rather than tightened.

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/per...jects/antenna/

Oooh I have a TV aerial, a DAB aerial, an FM aerial and a dish, better
hope dennis doesn't snitch

Must look like a Russian trawler!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 29, 9:43*pm, John Rumm wrote:
On 29/04/2012 19:46, ARWadsworth wrote:

Is this allowed?

I have heard it suggested that you need PP to have 2.

Since you can fit two or more LNBs on the same dish these days, there is
no point anyway.

--
Cheers,

John.

| * * * * *Internode Ltd - *http://www.internode.co.uk* * * * * *|
| * * * *John Rumm - john(at)internode(dot)co(dot)uk * * * * * * *|

I have a double LNB They sell them in screwfix.
http://www.screwfix.com/p/labgear-monoblock-lnb/32389
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:

Andy wrote:

Oooh I have a TV aerial, a DAB aerial, an FM aerial and a dish, better
hope dennis doesn't snitch

Must look like a Russian trawler!

The TV is a log periodic, far more discreet than the 175 element digital
bling most seem to have, the DAB is vertical and relatively close to the
mast, the FM is the largest and now practically unused, dish is low down
and set back over the garage roof, it and its brackets all sprayed with
matt plastikote, no cables visible.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:

I have a double LNB They sell them in screwfix.
http://www.screwfix.com/p/labgear-monoblock-lnb/32389

Is there anything worth watching 6 degrees either side of Astra 2A/2B/2D/1N?

Distributing satellite TV around the house Simon \(Dark Angel\)[_4_] UK diy 22 November 8th 09 01:53 PM
What voltage for 18 inch satellite dishes? mm Electronics Repair 30 July 22nd 09 07:34 PM
Mini ('camping') satellite systems -- smaller dishes okay? [email protected] UK diy 18 June 9th 07 10:15 PM
Satellite dishes Nick Maclaren UK diy 20 March 6th 07 07:52 PM
planning enforcement 4 years rule and satellite dishes fancyabrew UK diy 1 June 26th 06 04:15 PM