Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Weekly spends on domestic requisoites

tim.... wrote
H. Neary wrote
tim.... wrote
H. Neary wrote
Roberts wrote

There are now just the wife and I and we spend about £240 a month
mostly in Tescos but we are moving away from them because of their
attempts to rip you off at every chance. A few years ago that money
covered spending for two atheletic children and us two so don't be too
hard on SWMBO. I do the
shopping myself so perhaps try doing the weekly shop yourself and see
where the money goes.

A bit off topic ? but I agree totally. Tesco's do adopt underhand
tactics. I've seen things "misplaced" on shelves quite frequently and
even fell foul myself once. Needless to say the misplaced items always
end up in a cheaper space.

The other gripe are these "for one" offers. I feel ripped off if I
only want a normal quantity, so I just use Morrisons or Asda.

WTP?

Unless it's veg you either keep the extra item in the cupboard or stick
it in the freezer

http://www.packagingnews.co.uk/news/...ce-food-waste/

I think the claim (in the title) is ridiculous.

Yeah, me too.

I buy BOGOFs all the time and I have never in my life thrown away food
because I haven't got around to eating it.

Me too with BOGOFs.

I have thrown out a few bits, like 1/4 of a potato that I have
cut off one that’s too big for a particular meal and put the
offcut in the fridge and never gotten around to using it,
but potatoes are so damned cheap that’s no big deal.

People who are minded to overfill their fridge and not rotate the food
properly will do so regardless of the existence, or not, of BOGOFs.

(In any case, the numbers that I have seen suggest that 80% of food waste
is from the supply chain, not the shopper, after s/he has bought it)

It would be interesting to get some hard figures on that,
particularly with fruit and veg and bakery stuff. Bet no one
has the balls to allow it to be accurately measured tho.

Even sillier the modern approach of only selling fruit and
veg that looks perfect, perfectly shaped, no blemishes at
all etc. Bet that produces a massive level of waste.

Most of the shopping in supermarkets must surely be for food.

And the point is?

I repeat, unless the item is short life fresh veg (or fruit), it will
store one way or another long enough until it is needed (and even some of
the veg/fruit will store longer if you cook it first)

And even just keep it in the fridge with stuff like tomatoes and
nectarines and apples etc. I actually prefer my apples form the
fridge rather than at room temp and they stay crisp a lot longer
that way too.

I used Tesco's for fruit & vegetables but felt I was being ripped off if
I only wanted a normal quantity.

The problem in most supermarkets is packet size. If I buy a packet of veg
I am eating it everyday for the week. I prefer to be able to select my
own quantities.

Yeah, I do too. Not so much with stuff like apples tho.

The price is irrelevant

Not for me, I always keep an eye on the price with stuff I eat much of.

Don’t bother with stuff I don’t eat much of like say onions.

For cleaning products I find Aldi or Lidl hard to beat, probably because
a lot of their own brand products do not have advertising agencies to
support.

I agree.

I am amazed at the difference in price for basic products with zero
difference in cleaning power.

I don’t clean enough to matter and I use the
pressure washer on stuff like the shower recess.

But this is no differente to generic drugs. 25p for a packet of
ibuprofen/aspirin/paracetamol, 2.69 for a "brand" containing exactly the
same chemical composition, why do so many people pay it?

Most are too stupid to understand that basic stuff.

Tho I wish I could find someone who does proper coated
Metraprolol Tartrate. The generics are much harder to
swallow, particularly if you don’t bother with a glass of water.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Rod Speed
writes

"H. Neary" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 28 Apr 2012 21:37:15 +0100, "tim...."
wrote:

"H. Neary" wrote in message
On Sat, 28 Apr 2012 00:41:15 +0100, "Roberts" wrote:

There are now just the wife and I and we spend about £240 a month mostly
in
Tescos but we are moving away from them because of their attempts to rip
you
off at every chance.A few years ago that money covered spending for two
atheletic children and us two so don't be too hard on SWMBO. I do the
shopping myself so perhaps try doing the weekly shop yourself and see
where
the money goes.
Robbie

A bit off topic ? but I agree totally. Tesco's do adopt underhand
tactics. I've seen things "misplaced" on shelves quite frequently and
even fell foul myself once. Needless to say the misplaced items always
end up in a cheaper space.

The other gripe are these "for one" offers. I feel ripped off if I
only want a normal quantity, so I just use Morrisons or Asda.

WTP?

Unless it's veg you either keep the extra item in the cupboard or stick it
in the freezer

tim

http://www.packagingnews.co.uk/news/...ban-bogof-deal
s-to-reduce-food-waste/

Most of the shopping in supermarkets must surely be for food.

That doesn't necessarily mean that most BOGOFs are for food tho.

I used Tesco's for fruit & vegetables but felt I was being ripped off
if I only wanted a normal quantity.

For cleaning products

I spend **** all on those.

You're australian, why would you?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 29 Apr 2012 19:47:02 +0100, tim.... wrote:

I buy BOGOFs all the time and I have never in my life thrown away food
because I haven't got around to eating it.

Same here.

People who are minded to overfill their fridge and not rotate the food
properly will do so regardless of the existence, or not, of BOGOFs.

Agreed, I reckon most food waste is down to the dates that everything
has on it these days. I know many people who will bin anything that
is past any the date printed on it. Me? If it looks OK and smells OK
it probably is OK, sod the dates...

The problem in most supermarkets is packet size. If I buy a packet of
veg I am eating it everyday for the week.

I can see that for some fruit and veg but all the staples are
available loose surely? It's the slighly more exotic things like
sugar snap peas, mange toute, baby corn/leek/carrot, pak choi, etc
that is only available in packs.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

in 1128186 20120429 181256 Andy Champ wrote:

That said I walk halfway across town a couple of times a week to buy
bread in Waitrose. It's more money, but so much better!

More money? I buy Warburton's Seeded Batch bread.
It is £1.40 in Waitrose and £2.01 in the Co-op.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 29 Apr 2012 22:35:33 +0100, ARWadsworth wrote:

I know many people who will bin anything that is past any the date

printed on it. Me? If it looks OK and smells OK it probably is OK,

sod
the dates...

GILF?

Nearly had me with that, they don't have Display Until, Best Before
or Use By dates printed on them though. B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
tim.... wrote
H. Neary wrote
tim.... wrote
H. Neary wrote
Roberts wrote

People who are minded to overfill their fridge and not rotate the food
properly will do so regardless of the existence, or not, of BOGOFs.

(In any case, the numbers that I have seen suggest that 80% of food waste
is from the supply chain, not the shopper, after s/he has bought it)

It would be interesting to get some hard figures on that,
particularly with fruit and veg and bakery stuff. Bet no one
has the balls to allow it to be accurately measured tho.

Oh I'm sure that it is all measured, and they have the numbers.

They just misuse them to make the point that they want to make

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 29 Apr 2012 19:47:02 +0100, "tim...."
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"H. Neary" wrote in message
[...]

Halitosis?

What's youre spend on Listerine?

HN

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 29 Apr 2012 13:08:59 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

Lidl is 32 miles and in a city centre so a bit of PITA to get to. A
slightly less PITA route is couple of miles longer.

Aldi is 22 miles or 24 miles.

I'm surprised I'm less isolated than you; having lived in the sticks
here for so long I've got used to no shops on my doorstep.
There's a Lidl and Aldi 12 miles from me, another pair 20 miles away,
a local supermart 5 miles (only the odd visit from me).
For years the only money-saver at all was a solitary Lidl store, but
it was worthwhile doing the trip for a monthly shop.
The Irish supermarket chains had the rip-off mentality down to a fine
art and it wasn't until Lidl appeared on the scene that things
changed.