Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default cat deterrents (DIY)

harry wrote
Stephen wrote

There seems to have been an increase in the local cat population.
At first I tried to adopt a live and let live attitude but now cats are
sitting on my car, scratching at the fence panels, and going to the
toilet. Things have got so bad that I have dug up a couple of
flowerbeds and replaced them with gravel.

I have a toddler and I know dog mess contains germs that can cause
blindness, I don't know whether the same is true of what the cats
leave behind, but regardless, I don't really want him playing with it!

I have searched the internet and it claims some smells act as a
deterrent: citronella is one suggestion. How volatile is that? Would
it evaporate too quickly?

Many of he powders available from B&Q and garden centres seem to
contain pepper. The problem with these seems to be that the smell
washes away after the rain and has to be topped up. Is there a
catering supplier I could get very large (kg) quantities of pepper
from cheaply?

Ammonia seems to be another suggestion and Jeyes fluid. Again Idon't
know how volatile these are and the ingredients in Jeyes sound almost
as unfriendly as the cat litter!

There was a product that used to be highly recommended which was a
PIR activated water spray. I don't imagine it was intelligent enough
to aim and target the intruder, so I presume it just operated a wide
fan spray? Is that right?

I think these are £40-£50 and I would need more than one, which makes
things expensive. I could make one. I have seen 12v dc solenoid
valves but do such things as 12v PIR exist? The ones I have seen are
240v for lights. I'd prefer not to mix and match voltages and SELV
would be better for obvious reasons.

The RSPB web site seems to favour ultrasonic deterrents but these
cost as much. Has anyone made their own? Does anyone know the ideal
frequency? I remember using 40kHz piezo transducers once upon a time
but I wonder whether they would be loud enough or the right pitch.
Again PIR controlled but I think either of these could be made DIY
for a fraction of the retail price.

What do you think?

You can buy cage traps for cats/squirrel/rats etc.. When caught,
take down to the local animal pound and hand over as a stray.

Yeah, thats what one of my mates does.

Damned nuisance compared with an automated system if you can make one work tho.

Or drop them off miles away. See if it's true
they have a homing instinct. I suspect not.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 22 Mar 2012 21:27:17 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Mr Pounder wrote:
"Stephen" wrote in message
Hello,

[...]

I have spent quite a lot of money on this problem. Nothing works.
The ultra sonic gadgets are a waste of money, the sprays are a waste of
money, the scare cats are a waste of money and my *******ing dog can't be
left in the front garden as she barks at everything and I don't want to
upset the ****ing cat owner next door even though his ****ing cats **** in
my garden. The **** goes right back into his garden. However, this is guaranteed to work on the ****ing things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u19dt_-StZA&NR=1

You need one of these..

http://vps.templar.co.uk/Cartoons%20...at_carrier.jpg

There used to be one of those on the wall of a pub at Laxey, Isle of
Man. A card described it as being used by miners to carry their dogs
down the nearby lead mines.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote
Stephen wrote

There seems to have been an increase in the local cat population. At first I tried to adopt a live and let live
attitude but now cats are
sitting on my car, scratching at the fence panels, and going to the
toilet. Things have got so bad that I have dug up a couple of
flowerbeds and replaced them with gravel.

My neighbour must be very calm, last month he was cleaning his car
and went in the house for something and when he came out a cat had
gone in the car and sprayed all over the upholstery.
I would have shoot the damn thing.

I really don't understand why people have such animals as pets.

Because they dont do that to the owners car.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-03-22, Cash wrote:

Stephen wrote:
Hello,

There seems to have been an increase in the local cat population.
At first I tried to adopt a live and let live attitude but now
cats are sitting on my car, scratching at the fence panels, and
going to the toilet. Things have got so bad that I have dug up a
couple of flowerbeds and replaced them with gravel.

SNIPPED

What do you think?

Chicken manure - that does the trick in stopping the cats from from
messing up the garden, and it's also a bloody good fertiliser. No
good for car and fence problems though.

Yes, most people try to keep bird manure away from their cars.

Now if someone could find a way of doing that then I would be pleased
as the birds here frequently 'bomb' the car - along with the SWMBO's
washing! And she ain't happy...as she has to wash both again when
that happens. ;-)

You need anti aircraft guns, silly.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 22 Mar 2012 22:31:43 +0000, Tim Lamb wrote:

Don't let them stand on your feet.

(Cows)

And keep to the middle of the room.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-03-22, Cash wrote:

Stephen wrote:
Hello,

[...]

Methinks the police officer living behind me (and in direct line of fire and
falling sharpnel) might object to that - a good idea otherwise though.

LOL

Cash

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cash wrote:
On 2012-03-22, Cash wrote:

Stephen wrote:
Hello,

[...]

You just put a burst thru his house first, silly.

The kraut 88s could do that fine.

- a good idea otherwise though.

LOL

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod Speed wrote:
dennis@home wrote
Stephen wrote

There seems to have been an increase in the local cat population. At first I tried to adopt a live and let live
attitude but now cats are
sitting on my car, scratching at the fence panels, and going to the
toilet. Things have got so bad that I have dug up a couple of
flowerbeds and replaced them with gravel.

My neighbour must be very calm, last month he was cleaning his car
and went in the house for something and when he came out a cat had
gone in the car and sprayed all over the upholstery.
I would have shoot the damn thing.

I really don't understand why people have such animals as pets.

Because they dont do that to the owners car.

Cats generally dont **** on their own patch.

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stephen wrote:
Hello,

[...]

Been racking my brain for a method involving an angle grinder.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

F Murtz wrote:
Stephen wrote:
Hello,

[...]

You throw it at the cat, stupid.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod Speed wrote:
F Murtz wrote:

Been racking my brain for a method involving an angle grinder.

You throw it at the cat, stupid.

********.

One of these is an irresistible pounce, and it there is a sawblade...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5TN75_k8x8
Rod, you don't seem to be able to get ANYTHING right?

Is it your planetary conjunctions, or are you simply a prime arsehole?

I think we should be told....

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote just the puerile **** thats all it can
ever manage when its got done llike a ****ing dinner, as always.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
F Murtz wrote:
Stephen wrote:
Hello,

[...]

No thats not the way, You get one of the cages and trap the cat. Then put
it in a vice (wearing gloves of course) Cut off one of the cat's legs with
the beloved angle grinder and let it go.It will then tell all of the other
cats don't go there look what happened to me.

Robbie

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roberts wrote
[...]

Thats not gunna work. You have to get one of the cages that
has a miniture cattle crush at the end of it, to make it a lot
easier to hold the cat while you apply the angle grinder.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cattle_crush

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Nightjar" wrote in message
On 22/03/2012 19:48, ARWadsworth wrote:
Nightjar wrote:
On 22/03/2012 19:25, dennis@home wrote:

wrote in message

While wet, Jeyes fluid is highly toxic to cats, although it is
safe once dry, so must be used with care, unless you fancy a
visit from the RSPCA.

I have some lilies which I understand to be very toxic to cats.
If the RSPCA come around I will tell them what to do as I have just
as much right to grow lilies as people have to own vermin.
If a cat becomes ill because of them then that is because the owner
let it out.

So, you admit that you know that the plants you grow may cause
unnecessary suffering to a protected animal within the meaning of the
Animal Welfare Act 2006, but choose not to act to prevent that
suffering by removing the plants?

That's not how the act works.

As with all English law, the Courts will decide how the Act works.

Well I do hope the courts act.
If they are stupid enough to set the precedent then it will have to apply to
cats triggering allergenic reactions in some people which means all cat
owners are keeping dangerous vermin and can be done and I can get them
exterminated with a bit of luck/effort.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stephen wrote:

Hello,

There seems to have been an increase in the local cat population. At
first I tried to adopt a live and let live attitude but now cats are
sitting on my car, scratching at the fence panels, and going to the
toilet. Things have got so bad that I have dug up a couple of
flowerbeds and replaced them with gravel.

I have a toddler and I know dog mess contains germs that can cause
blindness,

It's actually a tiny worm that eats your retina IIRC and the problem is
called toxacariasis (sp??)

I don't know whether the same is true of what the cats
leave behind, but regardless, I don't really want him playing with it!

Smelly if nothing else.

I have searched the internet and it claims some smells act as a
deterrent: citronella is one suggestion. How volatile is that? Would
it evaporate too quickly?

A supersoaker filled with lemon juice is a non cruel way to actively scare
them off (they don't like it up'em, Captain Manwairing!").

But I do not know if it is the lemon scent or the fact they just got an acid
jet in the eye/up the chuff that actually works.

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod Speed wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote just the puerile **** thats all it can
ever manage when its got done llike a ****ing dinner, as always.

That's it Rod, let it all out, that frustration and anger at the way no
one ever noticed you or took you seriously, the rage you felt at being
constantly ignored...

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/03/2012 08:14, dennis@home wrote:
Well I do hope the courts act.
If they are stupid enough to set the precedent then it will have to
apply to cats triggering allergenic reactions in some people which means
all cat owners are keeping dangerous vermin and can be done and I can
get them exterminated with a bit of luck/effort.

It is not the cats' fault if, as a very young child, you were not
exposed to enough infections to get your immune system working properly.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 23 March 2012 10:23:17 UTC, Tim Watts wrote:
Stephen wrote:

Hello,

There seems to have been an increase in the local cat population. At
first I tried to adopt a live and let live attitude but now cats are
sitting on my car, scratching at the fence panels, and going to the
toilet. Things have got so bad that I have dug up a couple of
flowerbeds and replaced them with gravel.

I have a toddler and I know dog mess contains germs that can cause
blindness,

It's actually a tiny worm that eats your retina IIRC and the problem is
called toxacariasis (sp??)

Isn't it particularly the toxoplasmosis risk to the foetus of a pregnant woman that's the largest risk. That was certainly what my wife told me to excuse her from clearing up **** from the local pest (cat) population.

Simple for me - pets should be banned, the only animals people should be allowed to keep are ones which provide food or perform an industrial service.

Matt

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Nightjar" wrote in message
On 23/03/2012 08:14, dennis@home wrote:
Well I do hope the courts act.
If they are stupid enough to set the precedent then it will have to
apply to cats triggering allergenic reactions in some people which means
all cat owners are keeping dangerous vermin and can be done and I can
get them exterminated with a bit of luck/effort.

It is not the cats' fault if, as a very young child, you were not exposed
to enough infections to get your immune system working properly.

Its not my fault if a cat comes into my garden and eats plants that kill it.
Its not my fault if it comes in and gets anti-climb paint on it on the way
out.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

larkim wrote:
On Friday, 23 March 2012 10:23:17 UTC, Tim Watts wrote:
Stephen wrote:

Hello,

[...]

I dont mind as long as fat women and children are also banned.

Neither of which provide food or an industrial service.

In fact if we banned everybody in the same light, we would be down to a
happy healthy tenth of current population levels, and there would be
bags of room for cats.

Matt

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/03/2012 14:13, Roger Mills wrote:

There was a product that used to be highly recommended which was a PIR
activated water spray. I don't imagine it was intelligent enough to
aim and target the intruder, so I presume it just operated a wide fan
spray? Is that right?

Mine has about a 30 degree spray, so is best placed near a wall.

I wonder if these are covered by the imminent hosepipe ban?

--
Reentrant
Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

"Nightjar" wrote in message
On 23/03/2012 08:14, dennis@home wrote:
Well I do hope the courts act.
If they are stupid enough to set the precedent then it will have to
apply to cats triggering allergenic reactions in some people which means
all cat owners are keeping dangerous vermin and can be done and I can
get them exterminated with a bit of luck/effort.

It is not the cats' fault if, as a very young child, you were not
exposed to enough infections to get your immune system working properly.

Its not my fault if a cat comes into my garden and eats plants that kill
it.
Its not my fault if it comes in and gets anti-climb paint on it on the
way out.

Actually it IS.

That's the stupidity of the law in many areas.

If some person comes into your garden and drowns in your pool or cuts
themselves on your razor wire fence IS your fault,.

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 22 Mar 2012 22:31:43 +0000, Tim Lamb wrote:

Don't let them stand on your feet.

(Cows)

And keep to the middle of the room.

Why?

And that is difficult on a first fix as most sockets and switches are
attatched to the wall:-)

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , ARWadsworth
writes
Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , ARWadsworth
writes
**** is ****.

I am working on a new farmhouse this week.

There is cow and dog **** everywhere (the cows were not
supposed to be in the house but they escaped from the barn next
door). TBH I nearly took one of the cows on as an apprentice.

Don't stand behind a cow that has been grazing fresh grass:-)

I have seen what they can eject and at what speed:-)

Just consider hand milking and open topped buckets....

It's the first new build I have ever worked on where a cow wanders
into the house.

We have a *through* entrance lobby. The rear door opens into what was
the collecting yard for the dairy cows. None here since 1974. Runt
piglets and orphan lambs reared under the kitchen table. There is no
smell quite as memorable as a half grown lamb by your feet, ruminating
on cabbage leaves while you are having supper!

Cows do not bother me. I am scared of horses.

Don't let them stand on your feet.

Even with steel toe capped boot on?-)

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message

While wet, Jeyes fluid is highly toxic to cats, although it is
safe once dry, so must be used with care, unless you fancy a
visit from the RSPCA.

I have some lilies which I understand to be very toxic to cats.
If the RSPCA come around I will tell them what to do as I have
just as much right to grow lilies as people have to own vermin.
If a cat becomes ill because of them then that is because the
owner let it out.

So, you admit that you know that the plants you grow may cause
unnecessary suffering to a protected animal within the meaning of
the Animal Welfare Act 2006, but choose not to act to prevent that
suffering by removing the plants?

That's not how the act works.

As with all English law, the Courts will decide how the Act works.

It is not illegal to grow plants that kill cats in your garden.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

"Nightjar" wrote in message
[...]

That is the same myth as clearing snow is wrong.
You only have to take reasonable precautions, having a fence with a locked
gate is enough.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , The Natural Philosopher
escribió:

That's it Rod, let it all out, that frustration and anger at the way no
one ever noticed you or took you seriously

Rod Speed FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/883xp7v

, the rage you felt at being
constantly ignored...

it's amusing expanding the thread and seeing how no-one replies to him.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/03/2012 20:12, ARWadsworth wrote:
**** is ****.

I am working on a new farmhouse this week.

There is cow and dog **** everywhere (the cows were not supposed to be in
the house but they escaped from the barn next door). TBH I nearly took one
of the cows on as an apprentice.

Cats bury their **** and dogs do not.

But it's all nature. All animals ****.

But we humans are the best animals in the world as we can dump our **** out
into the sea.

Your first sentence turns out to be incorrect.

The kind of **** left by domestic pests (err... I mean pets) is a severe
problem in some nature reserves etc. where that left by the local sheep
and cattle is no problem at all. Different bugs eat it.

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , ARWadsworth
writes
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 22 Mar 2012 22:31:43 +0000, Tim Lamb wrote:

Don't let them stand on your feet.

(Cows)

And keep to the middle of the room.

Why?

And that is difficult on a first fix as most sockets and switches are
attatched to the wall:-)

So they can't accidentally lean on you:-)

Straying a bit from d-i-y but our milking parlour had a barrier between
each pair of cows. Fresh calved heifers soon learned to move closer to
the barrier allowing the farmer space to set up the milking cluster.
Bit like you moving your head when the barber touches it.

Problems arose if ever a *left* leaning cow was moved to a *right*
leaning place:-)

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , ARWadsworth
writes
Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , ARWadsworth
writes
Tim Lamb wrote:
[...]

No. The dainty cloven hoof fits neatly between the steel cap and the
bridge of your foot.

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/03/2012 18:54, ARWadsworth wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 22 Mar 2012 22:31:43 +0000, Tim Lamb wrote:

Don't let them stand on your feet.

(Cows)

And keep to the middle of the room.

Why?

Cows have been known to lean on the wall for a rest.

And that is difficult on a first fix as most sockets and switches are
attatched to the wall:-)

Yup.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 23 Mar 2012 20:41:14 +0000, Andy Champ wrote:

Don't let them stand on your feet.

(Cows)

And keep to the middle of the room.

Why?

Cows have been known to lean on the wall for a rest.

Aye or simply just move a bit close 1/2 a tonne of cow isn't going to
notice a human trapped and rolled like a bit of plastercine between
it and the wall...

And that is difficult on a first fix as most sockets and switches

are
attatched to the wall:-)

B-) Shoo the cow out...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 23 Mar 2012 18:55:23 -0000, ARWadsworth wrote:

Don't let them stand on your feet.

Even with steel toe capped boot on?-)

It's not unknown for steel toe caps to be pushed through the bottom
of the boot and into the ground neatly shearing off the toes inside.

Not likely inside and hard floor though.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Lamb wrote:

We have a *through* entrance lobby. The rear door opens into what was
the collecting yard for the dairy cows. None here since 1974. Runt
piglets and orphan lambs reared under the kitchen table. There is no
smell quite as memorable as a half grown lamb by your feet, ruminating
on cabbage leaves while you are having supper!

Cows do not bother me. I am scared of horses.

Don't let them stand on your feet.

Even with steel toe capped boot on?-)

No. The dainty cloven hoof fits neatly between the steel cap and the
bridge of your foot.

Horses... Now they're wise and clever (sometimes) and I used to work at
the local stables when I wuz a lad... Some of the old nags would stand
on the kiddies feet - seemingly just enough to trap them - and of-course
when the little kiddie tried to push the horse off, said horse would
just lean over a bit harder and much wailing would ensue ;-)

Some of the old nags would turn their heads round and bite the kiddies
bum when getting on them too (until they leanred to hold the reins when
getting on!) ... Funny old things, horses...

Gordon
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 23 Mar 2012 20:41:14 +0000, Andy Champ wrote:

Don't let them stand on your feet.

(Cows)

And keep to the middle of the room.

Why?

Cows have been known to lean on the wall for a rest.

Aye or simply just move a bit close 1/2 a tonne of cow isn't going to
notice a human trapped and rolled like a bit of plastercine between
it and the wall...

And that is difficult on a first fix as most sockets and switches
are attatched to the wall:-)

B-) Shoo the cow out...

I did eventually. After it had knocked the ladders over.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote just the puerile **** thats all it can
ever manage when its got done llike a ****ing dinner, as always.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

larkim wrote
[...]

Some of us feel the same way about your brats.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , ARWadsworth
writes
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 22 Mar 2012 22:31:43 +0000, Tim Lamb wrote:

Don't let them stand on your feet.

(Cows)

And keep to the middle of the room.

Why?

And that is difficult on a first fix as most sockets and switches
are attatched to the wall:-)

So they can't accidentally lean on you:-)

Straying a bit from d-i-y but our milking parlour had a barrier
between each pair of cows. Fresh calved heifers soon learned to move
closer to the barrier allowing the farmer space to set up the milking
cluster. Bit like you moving your head when the barber touches it.

Problems arose if ever a *left* leaning cow was moved to a *right*
leaning place:-)

regards

I did have steak tonight:-)

--
Adam

Seagull deterrents Jim S UK diy 14 September 4th 10 01:46 PM
Mouse deterrents TheOldFellow UK diy 29 September 18th 09 11:48 AM
What are the most effective deterrents to home burglars? Ablang Home Ownership 0 December 20th 08 07:40 PM
Cat Deterrents Donwill UK diy 27 February 18th 07 02:27 PM
Mouse deterrents? FurPaw Home Repair 8 October 8th 04 12:06 AM