Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Mouse deterrents

On Turdsday night a rodent eating insulation foam made a pinhole in one
of the polypipes in the loft leading to the UFH. It soaked the
insulation and eventually started to drip through the vapour barrier
and T&G ceiling.

Fixed leak, dried everything - no long term consequence, except...

I am now waging war on the little furry chaps. The simple old
wooden trap is proving the best mouse killer. The special expensive
metal trap is too insensitive and bait is eaten without it going off.

The sensitive-creatures in my household are ag'in me killing them,
however, and truth be told, I'm not so keen myself. Living in the
country next to a water course we inevitably will have rodent problems.

I've tried 'Humane' traps in the past and found them 'Inhumane' as the
trapped mouse dies in great distress unless you can service them once
an hour throughout the night. I find this distressing, and can never
be convinced that it is the right approach.

Now I see Ultrasonic Mouse Deterrents that just plug into a nearby
socket (I have several in the loft) and claim to affect a large area.

E.G: http://bit.ly/v404u

the question is: Do they work? £25 is a lot for a mousetrap, but if it
saves the polypipe....

Any experience? Suggestions?

TIA
R.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13 Sep, 08:55, TheOldFellow wrote:
[...]

My experience of mouse wars is pretty much as you describe. The humane
traps are a waste of time, as are the ultrasonic repellers. You can
leave them plugged in to console the sensitive souls while you quietly
murder the little buggers with the trusty wooden traps. Peanut butter
and raisins are good baits as I recall. Since we've had a cat the mice
stay away.

Plan B: replumb in copper.

Cheers!

Martin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 13 Sep 2009 08:55:25 +0100, TheOldFellow wrote:

Now I see Ultrasonic Mouse Deterrents that just plug into a nearby
socket (I have several in the loft) and claim to affect a large area.

E.G: http://bit.ly/v404u

the question is: Do they work?

IMHO no.

We used to get mice in every autumn when it started to get cold
outside. We would live trap(*) and put them down the bottom of the
paddock. For the transportation down there we put them in a small
mouse cage. As an experiment I tried switching one one of these
ultrasonic scarer things whilst observing the mouse. They can
certainly hear the noise as they make a little start when you turn it
on but other than that they behave as normal and I can't say I
noticed any difference in the numbers of mice we caught with/without
the device.

Deportation to the bottom of the paddock didn't work, having caught
the same mouse (it had a nick out of one ear) several times over
several days I reckon they were getting back to the house before us.
What did reduce the number of mice coming in was deportation several
miles away to bit a of forested fell side, also miles (literally)
from any habitation. Note release of vermin is technically illegal.
We now have a cat, we don't have mice coming in and any we do see (a
couple/year) are in the form of a light snack for said cat.

(*) Rentokil square plastic tipping tube type baited with Nuttella
worked well.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 13 Sep 2009 02:15:03 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

Now I see Ultrasonic Mouse Deterrents that just plug into a nearby
socket (I have several in the loft) and claim to affect a large area.

E.G:
http://bit.ly/v404u

the question is: Do they work?

Noooooooooo.

£25 is a lot for a mousetrap, but if it
saves the polypipe....

Any experience? *Suggestions?

TIA
R.

My experience of mouse wars is pretty much as you describe. The humane
traps are a waste of time, as are the ultrasonic repellers. You can
leave them plugged in to console the sensitive souls while you quietly
murder the little buggers with the trusty wooden traps. Peanut butter
and raisins are good baits as I recall. Since we've had a cat the mice
stay away.

We found the best solution was the pre-baited disposable ones (traps
not cats) that come in a bag of a dozen from B&Q. they are small like
miniature "Little Nippers" and don't have any visible bait but seemed
to be soaked in orange oil.

"When they see them coming the meeces all try an-hide,

But they still fall for mousetraps when coa-ted with cyan-hide ! "

A close second comes the standard format, standard size mousetrap
baited with a piece of Cadbury's Dairy Milk chocolate.

Derek

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Now I see Ultrasonic Mouse Deterrents that just plug into a nearby
socket (I have several in the loft) and claim to affect a large area.

Use correctly ultrasonic repellers do work. I had a severe problem in
lofts in a rural area. Rats were coming in and nesting. I could kill
them with poison but then they died up there and stank.

About four years ago I fitted a Lentek PR12 device in one loft and the
problem ceased. I occasionally get a footfall but it soon goes and
doesn't come back. I have now fitted them to all roof areas and have had
no further problem. The Lenteks also send a signal through the mains
wiring. I wondered if this would interfere with equipment but it doesn't.

The key seems to be placement. Put them high up at one end so they flood
the whole volume. Make sure there is nothing producing a shadow. They
even effective through glass-fibre insulation. I have about 20 cm.

Peter Scott
Posted to uk.d-i-y

JTM wrote:

Dormouse doesn't go for the same
bait as the rats and mice, but makes a mess of soft furnishings.

I really hope you aren't killing dormice, and it's something you've
confused with them. They are protected under the wildlife and
countryside act, substantial fines for even disturbing them!

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 13 Sep 2009 17:29:55 +0100, Andy Champ wrote:

JTM wrote:

Dormouse doesn't go for the same
bait as the rats and mice, but makes a mess of soft furnishings.

I really hope you aren't killing dormice, and it's something you've
confused with them. They are protected under the wildlife and
countryside act, substantial fines for even disturbing them!

I read the other day that there is a DIY solution to bat infestations.
Encourage lots of great tits - they eat them.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

JTM wrote:

Dormouse doesn't go for the same
bait as the rats and mice, but makes a mess of soft furnishings.

I really hope you aren't killing dormice, and it's something you've
confused with them. They are protected under the wildlife and
countryside act, substantial fines for even disturbing them!

I read the other day that there is a DIY solution to bat infestations.
Encourage lots of great tits - they eat them.

I would always encourage great tits Bob.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Champ wrote:
JTM wrote:

Dormouse doesn't go for the same
bait as the rats and mice, but makes a mess of soft furnishings.

I really hope you aren't killing dormice, and it's something you've
confused with them. They are protected under the wildlife and
countryside act, substantial fines for even disturbing them!

Andy

And are as rare as hens teeth and almost NEVER inside a property.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
S Viemeister wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote:

Peanut butter and raisins are good baits as I recall.

Peanut butter goes rancid, Nutella doesn't (it doesn't even go
mouldy!...) Raisins are good for sticking on the prongs of a back
breaker type trap.

We've had good luck with small chunks of dark chocolate.

The "trick" I found is that you've got to wire it on - especially with
the cheap wooden & metal traps - otherwise they will take the bait and get
away wit it ... Sweet things seem to work - rasins, dates (most dried
fruit) and chocolate... I've never actualy tried cheese! But whatever
works for you, wire it on. Instant death via broken neck. Very humane.

What is in Nutella that it never goes off...? Glad I don't eat it!!!

Gordon
Posted to uk.d-i-y
JTM JTM is offline

In article ,
Andy Champ wrote:
JTM wrote:

Dormouse doesn't go for the same
bait as the rats and mice, but makes a mess of soft furnishings.

I really hope you aren't killing dormice, and it's something you've
confused with them. They are protected under the wildlife and
countryside act, substantial fines for even disturbing them!

Andy

No not the (common, usually shrub dwelling) dormouse, but its cousin the
garden dormouse (Lérot) which is not protected. They sometimes wait and
allow themselves to be picked up when we find them inside the house, but
from experience I've found they need depositing about 1/2 a mile or more
away.

Also the 'fat dormice' occasionaly. Fortunately no grey squirrels here.

John (in France)

--
John Mulrooney

The greatest fault is to be conscious of none.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
JTM JTM is offline

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Andy Champ wrote:
JTM wrote:

Dormouse doesn't go for the same
bait as the rats and mice, but makes a mess of soft furnishings.

I really hope you aren't killing dormice, and it's something you've
confused with them. They are protected under the wildlife and
countryside act, substantial fines for even disturbing them!

Andy

And are as rare as hens teeth and almost NEVER inside a property.

No, the garden dormouse, which IS fond inside property. Confusing eh?

John (in france)

--
John Mulrooney

A controlled 'plane crash is usually called a landing.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 13 Sep 2009 19:58:57 +0100, JTM wrote:

No not the (common, usually shrub dwelling) dormouse,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hazel_Dormouse - Which is what I would
recognise as a Dormouse. The big give away is the furry tails, house
and field mice have bald tails, like rats.

but its cousin the garden dormouse (Lérot) which is not protected.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garden_dormouse

Hey that's quite a cute looking mouse but I still wouldn't want it
wandering freely around the house.

Also the 'fat dormice' occasionaly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edible_dormouse

Fortunately no grey squirrels here.

Looks like you don't need 'em with glis glis about. B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gordon Henderson wrote:
In article ,
S Viemeister wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote:

Peanut butter and raisins are good baits as I recall.
Peanut butter goes rancid, Nutella doesn't (it doesn't even go
mouldy!...) Raisins are good for sticking on the prongs of a back
breaker type trap.

We've had good luck with small chunks of dark chocolate.

The "trick" I found is that you've got to wire it on - especially with
the cheap wooden & metal traps - otherwise they will take the bait and get
away wit it ... Sweet things seem to work - rasins, dates (most dried
fruit) and chocolate... I've never actualy tried cheese! But whatever
works for you, wire it on. Instant death via broken neck. Very humane.

Not as instant as you might think.

And often traps another part of te biody.

Still harden your heart: its a lot better to die with a boot on the back
of the neck than of old age and disease, or being ripped to shreds by
and owl, polecat, weasel, fox, etc etc.

Unlike other animals, we don't like to see other animals suffer. No
other predator gives a damn. Nor does disease.

What is in Nutella that it never goes off...? Glad I don't eat it!!!

sulphur dioxide?

Gordon

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 13 Sep 2009 19:58:57 +0100, JTM wrote:

No not the (common, usually shrub dwelling) dormouse,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hazel_Dormouse - Which is what I would
recognise as a Dormouse. The big give away is the furry tails, house
and field mice have bald tails, like rats.

Note it is the only native pritish species, and is not a house dqweller.

but its cousin the garden dormouse (Lérot) which is not protected.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garden_dormouse

And is not found in the UK.

Hey that's quite a cute looking mouse but I still wouldn't want it
wandering freely around the house.

Also the 'fat dormice' occasionaly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edible_dormouse

which again is not native, and only found in a small area of teh home
counties.

Fortunately no grey squirrels here.

Looks like you don't need 'em with glis glis about. B-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Champ wrote:
JTM wrote:
Dormouse doesn't go for the same
bait as the rats and mice, but makes a mess of soft furnishings.
I really hope you aren't killing dormice, and it's something you've
confused with them. They are protected under the wildlife and
countryside act, substantial fines for even disturbing them!

Andy

And are as rare as hens teeth and almost NEVER inside a property.

No, the garden dormouse, which IS fond inside property. Confusing eh?

But never in the UK, as it is neither a native nor introduced species.

John (in france)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gordon Henderson wrote:
In article ,
S Viemeister wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote:

[...]

The Vulture prefers dead or dying animals.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:

Gordon Henderson wrote:
In article ,
S Viemeister wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote:

[...]

I prefer dead ones.
Never really liked gulping down live oysters.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Peter Scott" wrote in message

Now I see Ultrasonic Mouse Deterrents that just plug into a nearby
socket (I have several in the loft) and claim to affect a large area.

Use correctly ultrasonic repellers do work.

i keep pet rats, and had a friend who swore by those ultrasonic repellers,

so i got him to bring one of them round to our house one day, and he pluged
it in to the socket oposite the rats cage,

2 of the rattiew were asleep, other 2 had been playing in the bottom, when
the devise was turned on, the sleeping ratties stayed sleeping, the ones who
were playing stopped playing and rose up on their haunches, swiveling their
ears around, they pinpointed the devise and came to the cage bars to
investigate,

i opened the cage door, and they both climbed out and walked over to the
devise to sniff at it, it in no way bothered them, they were deffinately
hearing something from it, but it deffinately did not produce the result my
friend was expecting,

My dog came in later on whilst it was still operating, she sniffed it as she
would a new thing in the house, but showed even less interest in it than the
ratties,

we got the bat detector out, and it does indeed produce an ultrasonic noise,
but pet rats at least arent bothered by the noise it produces.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 13 Sep 2009 23:00:58 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Still harden your heart: its a lot better to die with a boot on the
back of the neck than of old age and disease, or being ripped to
shreds by and owl, polecat, weasel, fox, etc etc.

Unlike other animals, we don't like to see other animals suffer. No
other predator gives a damn. Nor does disease.

The Vulture prefers dead or dying animals.

I prefer dead ones.
Never really liked gulping down live oysters.

Your house is infested with oysters ?

That is some *serious* dampness.

One is bound to wonder how the first breeding pair (of oysters) got
there.

Did they perhaps blow in on the wind?

Derek
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Gordon Henderson wrote:
In article ,
S Viemeister wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote:

[...]

Oh at last someone else who appreciates that we are at the top of the food
chain.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Get a cat.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from TheOldFellow contains these words:

[...]

In descending order of usefulness

1. Cat. Rodents detect the smell of the cat and stay away

2. Traps. Some of the modern plastic ones are brilliant. Work
reliably and no danger of trapping fingers.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/The-New-T-REX-...d=p3286.c0.m14

3. Cheap ultrasonic scarers are useless. Very expensive professional
models do work in open spaces

Posted to uk.d-i-y

JTM wrote:
No not the (common, usually shrub dwelling) dormouse, but its cousin the
garden dormouse (Lérot) which is not protected. They sometimes wait and
allow themselves to be picked up when we find them inside the house, but
from experience I've found they need depositing about 1/2 a mile or more
away.

I'd never heard of the Lérot. A little digging tells me that protected
or not it's a red book species...

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Owain" wrote in message
On 14 Sep, 00:35, "The Medway Handyman" wrote:
Oh at last someone else who appreciates that we are at the top of the
food
chain.

Medwayhandyman, meet grizzlybear.
Grizzlybear, meet Medwayhandyman.
Chomp, chomp, burp.
Full grizzlybear.

Owain

Bears do not have guns and BBQs

Mind you the quote below

"The expedition failed when his sleds fell through weak ice and Fiennes was
forced to pull them out by hand. He sustained severe frostbite to the tips
of all the fingers on his left hand, forcing him to abandon the attempt. On
returning home, his surgeon insisted the necrotic fingertips be retained for
several months (to allow regrowth of the remaining healthy tissue) before
amputation. Impatient at the pain the dying fingertips caused, Fiennes
removed them himself (in his garden shed) with a fretsaw which didn't work
so he picked up a Black & Decker in the "village" with a micro blade and cut
them off just above where the blood & the soreness was"

from

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ranulph_Fiennes

made me smile.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
On 14 Sep, 00:35, "The Medway Handyman" wrote:
Oh at last someone else who appreciates that we are at the top of
the food chain.

Medwayhandyman, meet grizzlybear.
Grizzlybear, meet Medwayhandyman.
Chomp, chomp, burp.
Full grizzlybear.

Medwayhandyman, meet grizzlybear.
Grizzlybear, meet Medwayhandyman - with AK47.
Bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang,
bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang,
bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang - in 3 seconds.
Dead grizzlybear.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , gazz
writes
"Peter Scott" wrote in message
we got the bat detector out, and it does indeed produce an ultrasonic
noise, but pet rats at least arent bothered by the noise it produces.

The other thing to be aware of with these devices is that just because
they are out of your hearing range does not mean the sound pressure
isn't capable of damaging your hearing.
--
Clint Sharp
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Peter Scott
writes

The key seems to be placement.

Agreed. They are very directional, so I found fitting them at right
angles to each other worked well. And don't buy cheapo crap.

--
Fred Bloggs

Only good mouse is a dead mouse, yes, but how to get there? trader-of-some-jacks Home Repair 41 January 5th 09 03:43 AM
What are the most effective deterrents to home burglars? Ablang Home Ownership 0 December 20th 08 08:40 PM
Cat Deterrents Donwill UK diy 27 February 18th 07 03:27 PM
Mouse deterrents? FurPaw Home Repair 8 October 8th 04 01:06 AM
Country Mouse - City Mouse: A Reply To Scott Cramer. Tom Watson Woodworking 16 July 31st 03 05:59 PM