Posted to uk.d-i-y
Derek Geldard Derek Geldard is offline

Default Mouse deterrents

On Sun, 13 Sep 2009 02:15:03 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

Now I see Ultrasonic Mouse Deterrents that just plug into a nearby
socket (I have several in the loft) and claim to affect a large area.

E.G:
http://bit.ly/v404u

the question is: Do they work?

Noooooooooo.

£25 is a lot for a mousetrap, but if it
saves the polypipe....

Any experience? *Suggestions?

TIA
R.

My experience of mouse wars is pretty much as you describe. The humane
traps are a waste of time, as are the ultrasonic repellers. You can
leave them plugged in to console the sensitive souls while you quietly
murder the little buggers with the trusty wooden traps. Peanut butter
and raisins are good baits as I recall. Since we've had a cat the mice
stay away.

We found the best solution was the pre-baited disposable ones (traps
not cats) that come in a bag of a dozen from B&Q. they are small like
miniature "Little Nippers" and don't have any visible bait but seemed
to be soaked in orange oil.

"When they see them coming the meeces all try an-hide,

But they still fall for mousetraps when coa-ted with cyan-hide ! "

A close second comes the standard format, standard size mousetrap
baited with a piece of Cadbury's Dairy Milk chocolate.

Derek