Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Toll roads and the law

On Sat, 18 Feb 2012 23:31:29 -0800 (PST), harry
wrote:

The same applies with these parent and child spaces.

Yes; they can **** right off. If breeders choose to reproduce, they
can bloody well walk the same distance as everybody else.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 18 Feb 2012 16:16:20 -0800 (PST), jgharston
wrote:

Use your wonderful paranormal ability and look at this picture and
diagnose my condition: http://pics.mdfs.net/2011/01/110105.htm

A fondness for bad photography?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 19, 9:43*pm, H. Neary wrote:
On Sun, 19 Feb 2012 11:04:54 -0800 (PST), thirty-six

wrote:
On Feb 19, 7:31*am, harry wrote:
On Feb 18, 11:17*pm, John Williamson

wrote:
H. Neary wrote:
On Sat, 18 Feb 2012 14:42:57 -0800 (PST), thirty-six
wrote:

On Feb 18, 9:19 pm, H. Neary wrote:
On Sat, 18 Feb 2012 20:27:44 -0000, "dennis@home"

wrote:

"H. Neary" wrote in message
m...
Disabilities that only become apparent using X ray vision would hardly
limit someones ability to walk a few yards extra now, would they?
Heart failure!
You don't have to have visible damage to be disabled.
We are not talking a polar trek now are we? A supermarket car park is
not a great distance to travel even for those with health problems.

Someone who's walking ability is restricted because of heart failiure
would not magically be o/k if they were saved walking ten yards or so
would they? *The fact that they are allowed to drive at all if they
have such a serious heart problem may be open to debate BTW.

Incidentally if there are no obvious signs or sounds of their problem,
a bit of a walk may not be a bad idea anyway.
That could lead to collapse, particularly at this time of year. *Yes a
few yards can make all the difference to someone with heart failure.
A disabled car park is more spacious, although an enlarged heart may
be one of the problems associated with the condition, I would doubt
that the expansion warrants an extra meter or so of wheelchair of
wheelchair space to manouver in.
The enlargement occurs when the heart has been weakened for
considerable time it is compensation for weakness in the heart muscle,
however that has occured.
Disabled spaces are not a consolation prize for someone with a cross
to bear, they are specifically designed to serve a purpose for those
that need it!
and?
How then does the extra space help the heart patient?

You still miss the point.

The extra space is for the wheelchair and users of other mobility aids.
The closeness to the store entrance is to help those who can't walk far,
including, but not limited to those with pneumoconioisis or other lung
diseases (Miners' lung and Farmers' lung are two common, non jargon
names), and heart problems. Did you not notice the way that once they
got into the dry, your "jogging" disabled people stopped for a breather
on the seats just inside the store doors?

--
Tciao for Now!

John.- Hide quoted text -

But if they can walk all round a store pushing a trolley, why will a

I've not found it possible. *There have been occasions where I have
walked in and found myself gasping and returned directly to my car
without picking anything up. * Using the trolley as a walking aid is a
more accurate description and I'm unable to fill and move a standard
trolley.

Have you reported your level of disability to the DVLA?

Someone gasping for breath whilst shopping should not be driving a
car.

********, I'm not a professional driver. My incapacity does not
affect my ability to drive, I use the engine to move the car, it also
helps with the braking and steering. I havn't used a pedal-car in 35
years.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 19, 8:21*pm, polygonum wrote:
On Sun, 19 Feb 2012 07:31:29 -0000, harry wrote:

But if they can walk all round a store pushing a trolley, why will a
slightly shortened journey in the car be needed.?
The same applies with these parent and child spaces.

Harry - why are you so completely unable to dream up your own examples?
Why does the disabled person have to push their trolley? I always push
ours because partner cannot.

Example the first

You suffer from a problem that results in extreme burning pain in your
feet. People with this problem are often prescribed morphine ad lib.

You cannot wear socks as they cause the heat to rise and make the pain
worse. Indeed, you can only just about bear to wear the skimpiest open
sandals because, if you do not, the pain caused by the surface of the
pavement or road is unbearable. And to add to this, any sun on the skin
makes it even more painful and delicate.

On top of these issues, if once the problem flares up, it can continue to
cause severe pain for hours, days - even weeks.

But once inside the store, the cool air spilling out of the refrigerated
units makes life much more bearable for while.

So anything that can reduce the distance that has to be walked is a major
boon.

Example the second

You suffer from uncontrollable foot pain when subjected to significant
cooling of the feet - something like chilblains (perniosis) but different..
Therefore walking through the car park in the winter can be unbearable.
And doing so can result in further damage and pain that continues for days
afterwards.

So anything that can reduce the distance that has to be walked is a major
boon.

Example the third

Combine the above into one person. And yes, there appear to be utter
contradictions in this disorder. But they damn well exist.

I assume your next totally compassionless, dickhead argument will suggest
that she should never go out... Or she should always go out at night.

Why the hell have I just wasted that time responding...

--
Rod

*

You're getting confused. These are not my posts. You are the dickhead.
We have a few halfwit top posters here, that doesn't help.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
thirty-six wrote:
I've rarely seen a wheelchair user at the supermarket and the space
reserved for blue badge holders could be better distributed so as to
provide more spaces for those who struggle with walking nearest to the
store door.

That appears to be everyone. Many will double park rather than walk a few
yards.

If you are disabled I see nothing wrong in having a wider than average bay
to make getting out of the car easier. Just because someone appears to be
able to walk reasonably ok doesn't mean they are as supple as others. And
car park bays are often quite tight.

I usually park at the far end of the carpark. I thank my higher power I
still have the use of my legs. Even at my advanced age. I'm happy to leave
all those spaces close to the entrance for those poor healthy types who
seem unwilling to walk more than a couple of yards. Or are so short on
time it really makes a difference.

--
*Work is for people who don't know how to fish.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 18, 11:37*am, "David WE Roberts" wrote:

They even check the time on your ticket to make sure you haven't arrived so
soon that you must have been speeding.

A not uncommon solution to that method of enforcement is, I believe,
to speed then stop for a coffee/slash at the services.

Neil
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 18, 10:52*pm, H. Neary wrote:

How then does the extra space help the heart patient?

Normally, disabled spaces are located nearer the supermarket/whatever
than the other spaces.

Neil
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article
,
thirty-six wrote:
[...]

the other advantage of parking away from the door is that there are usually
plenty spare bays which makes opening doors and tailgate a lot easier.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.16

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 19, 7:31*am, harry wrote:

But if they can walk all round a store pushing a trolley, why will a
slightly shortened journey in the car be needed.?

Many stores provide electric "scooters" for those who cannot walk
around unaided.

The same applies with these parent and child spaces.

I will to some extent give you that one. While I can and do avoid
them by doing supermarket shopping late in the evening where possible
(the joys of 24hr opening) there is nothing more annoying than a
family of four dawdling around the supermarket with badly-behaved
children in tow.

A single parent obviously has no choice in the matter. But these
"family outings" to the supermarket are just a pain. If one adult
went shopping while the other stayed at home/went somewhere else e.g.
the park with the children (or if wanting to give a child experience
of the supermarket one adult brought one child and supervised them
properly rather than letting them run riot while husband and wife
decide which wine they want tonight), the whole issue would be
avoided.

Neil
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 20 Feb 2012 10:48:47 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I usually park at the far end of the carpark. I thank my higher power I
still have the use of my legs. Even at my advanced age.

My primary choice of parking space at the supermarket is near a
trolley park so I don't have to trundle the empty thing very far.
This is normall about half way down the carpark in relation to the
store entrance.

I'm happy to leave all those spaces close to the entrance for those poor
healthy types who seem unwilling to walk more than a couple of yards.

I wonder who will still be walking from the far end of the carpark
when the "healthy types" are all fighting for a blue badge space...

The Blue Badge is for the person with the disabilty, the driver may
only be a an "enabler". I've used both Blue Badge spaces and Parent
and Child ones when taking my late father, who was registered blind
and had Blue Badge, to the supermarket.

I was really hoping that some one would question the use of a Parent
and Child space. I've never seen anything on the P&C signage that
says the child has to be a "minor".

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" :
I usually park at the far end of the carpark. I thank my higher power I
still have the use of my legs. Even at my advanced age. I'm happy to leave
all those spaces close to the entrance for those poor healthy types who
seem unwilling to walk more than a couple of yards. Or are so short on
time it really makes a difference.

Quite so. And that way, you stand a better chance of staying healthy
longer than they will.

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
That appears to be everyone. Many will double park rather than walk a few
yards.

You are so right. Worst offenders are parents dropping the kids of at
school.
--
hugh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
charles wrote:
the other advantage of parking away from the door is that there are
usually plenty spare bays which makes opening doors and tailgate a lot
easier.

Indeed. And hopefully less chance of the car getting damaged by doors or
trolleys. etc. My car is particularly susceptible to this. Or maybe just
me.

--
*See no evil, Hear no evil, Date no evil.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article o.uk,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
I usually park at the far end of the carpark. I thank my higher power I
still have the use of my legs. Even at my advanced age.

My primary choice of parking space at the supermarket is near a
trolley park so I don't have to trundle the empty thing very far.
This is normall about half way down the carpark in relation to the
store entrance.

My local smallish Tesco has chained off the trolley park at the end of the
carpark. Leaving two halfway along and one at the entrance. Perhaps their
trolley collectors can't walk either?

--
*He who dies with the most toys is, nonetheless, dead.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
hugh ] wrote:
Yes; they can **** right off. If breeders choose to reproduce, they
can bloody well walk the same distance as everybody else.

Fine, but don't complain if they chip your car getting child out of car
and into buggy.

Which is exactly what one did to mine - furious because all the parent and
child spaces were full. She even screamed this as an excuse for damaging
my car. Totally unrepentant. My car had just come out of the body shop
having the exact same door repaired after a hit and run. I was actually
sitting in the car when she did it.

--
*Why does the sun lighten our hair, but darken our skin?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 20 Feb 2012 16:17:05 -0000, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:

In article ,
charles wrote:
the other advantage of parking away from the door is that there are
usually plenty spare bays which makes opening doors and tailgate a lot
easier.

Indeed. And hopefully less chance of the car getting damaged by doors or
trolleys. etc. My car is particularly susceptible to this. Or maybe just
me.

16 months ago I parked on the far side of a supermarket car park to be
safe. Returned to car to find I was in the middle of an area used by the
school run. Got into car and an early teenager threw the back door of a
4WD into the side of my wife's car putting a hefty dent in the wheel arch.
Fortunately after some persuasion the driver's insurers paid for it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
Which is exactly what one did to mine - furious because all the parent
and child spaces were full. She even screamed this as an excuse for
damaging my car. Totally unrepentant. My car had just come out of the
body shop having the exact same door repaired after a hit and run. I
was actually sitting in the car when she did it.

Did she pay for the damage?

No. Gave me a false name and address. Police not interested even although
I had a witness in the form of the car park attendant.

--
*Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Huge wrote:
No. Gave me a false name and address. Police not interested even
although I had a witness in the form of the car park attendant.

If you see her again, burn her car.

The match would be worth more.

--
* I like you. You remind me of when I was young and stupid

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 20 Feb 2012 15:19:02 +0000, hugh wrote:

That appears to be everyone. Many will double park rather than

walk a
few yards.

You are so right. Worst offenders are parents dropping the kids of at
school.

They don't double park at our primary but one or two do drop off
within the yellow zig-zag area...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 20 Feb 2012 15:17:05 +0000, hugh ] wrote:

Fine, but don't complain if they chip your car getting child out of car
and into buggy.

If they see my car they'll park well away from it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 20, 11:06*am, Neil Williams wrote:
On Feb 18, 11:37*am, "David WE Roberts" wrote:

They even check the time on your ticket to make sure you haven't arrived so
soon that you must have been speeding.

A not uncommon solution to that method of enforcement is, I believe,
to speed then stop for a coffee/slash at the services.

Neil

0.5km motorway markers passed every 16 seconds keeps you within 70mph
limit(close enough)..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 18 Feb 2012 19:24:25 +0000, Nightjar wrote:
I was getting around 32mpg at a steady 160kph.

Surely , nobody goes that slow on an Autobahn

I was sightseeing.

Bloody Sunday drivers! ;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 20 Feb 2012 03:06:43 -0800, Neil Williams wrote:

On Feb 18, 11:37Â*am, "David WE Roberts" wrote:

They even check the time on your ticket to make sure you haven't
arrived so soon that you must have been speeding.

A not uncommon solution to that method of enforcement is, I believe, to
speed then stop for a coffee/slash at the services.

Or to have a Delorean so you can hit 88mph and arrive before you started.
That will really screw with their heads...

I'm surprised that a toll ticket alone is enough to convict someone
(unless all the toll machines are routinely checked to the same kind of
standards as say petrol pumps), although I can imagine it being useful as
supporting evidence in a case.

cheers

Jules
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 21, 4:52*pm, Jules Richardson
wrote:
On Mon, 20 Feb 2012 03:06:43 -0800, Neil Williams wrote:
On Feb 18, 11:37*am, "David WE Roberts" wrote:

They even check the time on your ticket to make sure you haven't
arrived so soon that you must have been speeding.

A not uncommon solution to that method of enforcement is, I believe, to
speed then stop for a coffee/slash at the services.

Or to have a Delorean so you can hit 88mph and arrive before you started.
That will really screw with their heads...

I'm surprised that a toll ticket alone is enough to convict someone

It shouldn't be.

(unless all the toll machines are routinely checked to the same kind of
standards as say petrol pumps), although I can imagine it being useful as
supporting evidence in a case.

Admission of guilt is the usual nail. It's difficult for me to
accept that any sane person would wish to be punished for an invented
crime, but folk is queer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"H. Neary" wrote in message
[...]

In other words you have not reported your incapacity. Maybe the poor
misfortunates you plow into will feel happier knowing that you are not
a professional. I would try to avoid too much wheezing in their
presence though because like drunken drivers, anyone presenting
additional risks to other road users is not looked on too kindly these
days.

Plenty of people are driving around half blind, full of confidence
they can see perfectly. They only find out after the accident.

HN

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"thirty-six" wrote in message

I'm surprised that a toll ticket alone is enough to convict someone

It shouldn't be.

Why?
Unless you fly the ticket ahead of you you can only get there too soon by
speeding.

You can be done by average speed cameras and they only take a picture or
two.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/02/2012 16:52, Jules Richardson wrote:
Or to have a Delorean so you can hit 88mph and arrive before you started.
That will really screw with their heads...

I actually saw one on Sunday, driving over Chertsey bridge. Wasn't
doing 88 though.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 21:10:31 +0000, Andy Champ wrote:

On 21/02/2012 16:52, Jules Richardson wrote:
Or to have a Delorean so you can hit 88mph and arrive before you
started. That will really screw with their heads...

I actually saw one on Sunday, driving over Chertsey bridge. Wasn't
doing 88 though.

Well if it was, you wouldn't have seen it...

I've not seen many over the years, but there are a few around. I think
there's a company in Texas (?) who can sell you one built from a
combination of original and repro parts which uses original VIN numbers,
which probably isn't true of many (any?) other cars of the 80s.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"H. Neary" wrote in message
[...]

There is no requirement for me to do so, it does not affect my
driving.

misfortunates you plow into will feel happier knowing that you are not

It's not happened and it is umlikely to. I dont drive drunk or asleep
and I practise the skills in Roadcraft.

a professional. I would try to avoid too much wheezing in their
presence though because like drunken drivers, anyone presenting
additional risks to other road users is not looked on too kindly these
days.

There's no additional risk, I don't drive when I'm tired.

Plenty of people are driving around half blind, full of confidence
they can see perfectly. They only find out after the accident.

I also have partial loss of vision, in one eye. When I found out it
did explain a few near misses. I now search when looking to the right
to prevent vehicles disappearing. That's a technique not documented
in Roadcraft. It is not notifiable and I have more than compensated
for the visual loss.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"thirty-six" wrote in message

I also have partial loss of vision, in one eye. When I found out it
did explain a few near misses. I now search when looking to the right
to prevent vehicles disappearing. That's a technique not documented
in Roadcraft. It is not notifiable and I have more than compensated
for the visual loss.

Or at least you think you have.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 13:44:36 -0800 (PST), thirty-six
wrote:

I also have partial loss of vision, in one eye. When I found out it
did explain a few near misses. I now search when looking to the right
to prevent vehicles disappearing. That's a technique not documented
in Roadcraft. It is not notifiable and I have more than compensated
for the visual loss.

Tell that to the biker you plow into.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
I also have partial loss of vision, in one eye. When I found out it
did explain a few near misses. *I now search when looking to the right
to prevent vehicles disappearing. *That's a technique not documented
in Roadcraft. *It is not notifiable and I have more than compensated
for the visual loss.

Tell that to the biker you plow into.

It hasn't happened and it wont. I am unable to rely on peripheral
vision to the right to detect movement, I have to look directly at the
road and for this reason I see cyclists and motorcyclists. There's no
chance of them hiding in my blindspot. I SEE more than someone who
just glances a couple of times.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I also have partial loss of vision, in one eye. When I found out it
did explain a few near misses. I now search when looking to the
right to prevent vehicles disappearing. That's a technique not
documented in Roadcraft. It is not notifiable and I have more than
compensated for the visual loss.

Tell that to the biker you plow into.

Shouldn't that be 'plough into'?

And try telling biker to to think a bit more of the other traffic on the
roads rather then his own egotistical self - and then blame others when
aforesaid biker is the cause of accidents by riding in dark clothing,
'forgets' to turn his dipped headlight on, rides down the white line in
traffic, overtakes on blind bends, cuts in front of other vehicles, race
with others in country lane etc, etc.

Make bikers take a test every two years!!

Think biker, think ****!

You seldom see a good biker..
they stand out when you do as they are so rare.
There are a few out there, most are complete idiots.

You forgot the ones that think they are on a unicycle, habitually speed,
always drive straight on from the left turn lane on islands and use all
three lanes even if there are cars in those lanes.
Then there are the ones that fall off and slide across in front of you
forcing you to slow down.
Bikers also appear to not be able to see cyclists as they frequently ride
far too close when undertaking the cars overtaking the cyclist.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Woodworm wrote:
Tell that to the biker you plow into.

Shouldn't that be 'plough into'?

I'm easy on that.

--
*I thought I wanted a career. Turns out I just wanted paychecks.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message m,
"dennis@home" writes
You seldom see a good biker..
they stand out when you do as they are so rare.

Are they the ones still alive on the cat 'n Fiddle road?
--
hugh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 21, 8:36*pm, Jules Richardson
wrote:
On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 19:35:56 +0000, dennis@home wrote:
"thirty-six" wrote in message

I'm surprised that a toll ticket alone is enough to convict someone

It shouldn't be.

Why?
Unless you fly the ticket ahead of you you can only get there too soon
by speeding.

Or if the clock is wrong at the toll gates at either end. I don't know
who calibrates them and verifies them for accuracy so that they can be
used as sufficient evidence in their own right of an offence (if they
indeed can), but hopefully someone reading the group does.

cheers

Jules

NTP, IEEE1588 or many other methods.

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 22 Feb 2012 02:12:30 -0000, "Woodworm"
wrote:

Shouldn't that be 'plough into'?

In the wake of the 'masonry/masonary' dichotomy, I'm choosing to
ignore learning and common sense and spell Yankee from time to time.

And try telling biker to to think a bit more of the other traffic on the
roads rather then his own egotistical self - and then blame others when
aforesaid biker is the cause of accidents by riding in dark clothing,
'forgets' to turn his dipped headlight on, rides down the white line in
traffic, overtakes on blind bends, cuts in front of other vehicles, race
with others in country lane etc, etc.

Make bikers take a test every two years!!

Think biker, think ****!

Oh, well. There's all sorts of erudite and witty rebuttals I could
give to your blinkered point of view. Largely because I can't be
arsed, all you get is, "**** off, you ******."

Grit bin for the local roads for winter David WE Roberts[_4_] UK diy 27 December 29th 11 02:14 PM
What was the first front wheel dive car on the roads? Dave UK diy 41 May 15th 09 06:01 PM
OT - Potholes in roads John UK diy 19 April 21st 09 10:35 PM
OT Your tax bill - £100 million......for roads in Africa. Love Europe, Hate the EU UK diy 0 April 6th 09 07:25 PM
3218/32,544 INVESTED IN FAILURE! 03/19/07 Newsweek: The Human Toll the Coalition death toll has topped 3,400 and estimated civilian fatalities stand at more than 64,000. BGKM Woodworking 0 March 20th 07 04:46 AM