Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What was the first front wheel dive car on the roads?

I think it was the mini.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave" wrote in message

I think it was the mini.

Was the mini about in the 90's? That's the 1890's BTW.

From wikip "sometime between 1895 and 1898 Gräf & Stift built a voiturette
with a one-cylinder De Dion-Bouton engine fitted in the front of the
vehicle, powering the front axle."

AFAIK the mini was the first transverse engine production car, but I can't
say I am an expert in trivia.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dennis@home" wrote in message

"Dave" wrote in message

I think it was the mini.

Was the mini about in the 90's? That's the 1890's BTW.

From wikip "sometime between 1895 and 1898 Gräf & Stift built a voiturette
with a one-cylinder De Dion-Bouton engine fitted in the front of the
vehicle, powering the front axle."

AFAIK the mini was the first transverse engine production car, but I can't
say I am an expert in trivia.

Don't forget the Citroen Traction Avante

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Dave wrote:

I think it was the mini.

Dave

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=What+was+the+first+front+wheel+dive+car+on+the+ roads%3F

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave submitted this idea :
I think it was the mini.

Dave

Mini.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:
Dave wrote:

I think it was the mini.

Dave

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=What+was+the+first+front+wheel+dive+car+on+the+ roads%3F

Should that link have been

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=What+was+the+fi...the +roads%3F ?

(Changed "dive" to drive)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Unbeliever wrote:
Rod wrote:
Dave wrote:
I think it was the mini.

Dave

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=What+was+the+first+front+wheel+dive+car+on+the+ roads%3F

Should that link have been

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=What+was+the+fi...the +roads%3F ?

(Changed "dive" to drive)

Ask the OP!

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 13 May 2009 21:48:09 UTC, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

Dave submitted this idea :
I think it was the mini.

Dave

Mini.

Bond minicar (1948) pre-dated that....!

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:
Unbeliever wrote:
Rod wrote:
Dave wrote:
I think it was the mini.

Dave
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=What+was+the+first+front+wheel+dive+car+on+the+ roads%3F

Should that link have been

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=What+was+the+fi...the +roads%3F
? (Changed "dive" to drive)

Ask the OP!

I did!

From the order of posts on my newsreader the "OP" for that link is you -
unless the link came from a gmail or googlemail address (both killfiled by
me to cut spam levels) and poor cutting of the 'reply' post left no clue as
to its true origin.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager presented the following explanation :
wrote:

Dave submitted this idea :
I think it was the mini.

Dave

Mini.

Bond minicar (1948) pre-dated that....!

True, I can vaguely remember it. Was the engine actually mounted on the
front wheel and as the wheel turned, so did the engine?

Must admit I was thinking more in terms of modern front wheel drive
cars and four wheeled ones. Did the Citroen DS predate the Mini?

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Eager" gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying:

I think it was the mini.

Mini.

Bond minicar (1948) pre-dated that....!

A contemporary of the Citroen 2cv and Panhard Dyna X, then.

But that was 14 years after the Citroen Traction Avant (1934). Even that
wasn't the first - Cord in the US, Alvis in the UK, Tracta in France had
all been there first. And that's ignoring the "pioneer" stuff back in the
1880s and 1890s - damn near everything had been tried at least once then.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield gurgled happily,
sounding much like they were saying:

Did the Citroen DS predate the Mini?

Yes, by four years.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Dave submitted this idea :
I think it was the mini.

Dave

Mini.

Bond minicar (1948) pre-dated that....!

True, I can vaguely remember it. Was the engine actually mounted on the
front wheel and as the wheel turned, so did the engine?

That's right.

Must admit I was thinking more in terms of modern front wheel drive
cars and four wheeled ones. Did the Citroen DS predate the Mini?

I know...I was just being awkward (and thinking a bit laterally).

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Dave submitted this idea :
I think it was the mini.

Dave

Mini.

Bond minicar (1948) pre-dated that....!

Not even close, ive got a 1931 BSA car that's front wheel drive, and that
was not the very first car sold with FWD.
http://i39.tinypic.com/spk9ix.jpg

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave wrote:

I think it was the mini.

You think wrong.

Alvis made them in 1928 - a racing model first followed by a road car.
Then of course the famous Citroen Traction Avant - 1934 onwards.

Probably other earlier FWD - but those are the landmarks.

--
*I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave wrote:

I think it was the mini.

Dave

Oh no. It was something about 1902
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 13 May 2009 22:19:04 +0100, Dave wrote:

I think it was the mini.

Does Nicolas Cugnot's steam-powered three-wheeler of 1770 count?
Admittedly it was really intended as a haulage vehicle, not for passenger
use, and I'd question whether they could really be called 'roads' back
then :-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicolas-Joseph_Cugnot

(bonus points for being "front wheel drive" rather than "front wheels
drive", maybe?

cheers

Jules

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cugnot's steam tractor of 1769, which was also the first motorised vehicle
to be involved in a traffic accident, when it ran into a wall.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Dave submitted this idea :
I think it was the mini.

Dave

Mini.

Bond minicar (1948) pre-dated that....!

Not even close, ive got a 1931 BSA car that's front wheel drive, and that
was not the very first car sold with FWD.
http://i39.tinypic.com/spk9ix.jpg

My sentence was carefully worded, and does not contradict that....!
http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Dave submitted this idea :
I think it was the mini.

Dave

Mini.

AFAIK no car has ever been fitted with front wheel dive, although some
amphibians have come close.

Front wheel drive pre-dates the mini by "quite a bit".

Being spectacularly wrong is a sort of hobby for Mr B.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

There was the Morgan 3 wheeler, I think the similar BSA had a long chain
drive to the rear wheel,If my memory serves me correctly.
Don
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jules" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 13 May 2009 22:19:04 +0100, Dave wrote:

I think it was the mini.

Does Nicolas Cugnot's steam-powered three-wheeler of 1770 count?
Admittedly it was really intended as a haulage vehicle, not for passenger
use,

It is, nevertheless, officially the first car in the world, recognised as
such by the FIA.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Dave submitted this idea :
I think it was the mini.

Dave

Mini.

Bond minicar (1948) pre-dated that....!

True, I can vaguely remember it. Was the engine actually mounted on the
front wheel and as the wheel turned, so did the engine?

Must admit I was thinking more in terms of modern front wheel drive
cars and four wheeled ones. Did the Citroen DS predate the Mini?

--
Regards,
* * * * Harry (M1BYT) (L)http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

My parents had one - all sorts of childhood memories flood back. The
engine was a two stroke 125cc BSA (I think) driving the single front
wheel. The whole engine pivoted for steering via cables - can't
remember how the gear change linked but it was on the steering
column. Starting was by pulling a floor mounted handle, cable
connected to the kickstart.

My mother got 'Belinda' stuck in Edinburgh's tram rails once and it
tipped on its side - the traffic directing bobby just pushed her back
over again !

Showing my age
Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14 May, 07:40, "nightjar" cpb@insert my surname here.me.uk
wrote:

Does Nicolas Cugnot's steam-powered three-wheeler of 1770 count?
Admittedly it was really intended as a haulage vehicle, not for passenger
use,

It is, nevertheless, officially the first car in the world, recognised as
such by the FIA.

Really? The FIA are normally a bit sniffy about recognising tricycles
as "cars", hence the 1964 land speed record splitting between
Campbell's four-wheeler Bluebird holding the FIA record whilst
Breedlove's tricycle was faster, but only held the FIM record as a
tricycle motorcycle.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 13 May 2009 23:11:12 +0100, Unbeliever wrote:

Rod wrote:
Unbeliever wrote:
Rod wrote:
Dave wrote:
I think it was the mini.

Dave
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=What+was+the+first+front+wheel+dive+car+on+the+ roads%3F

Should that link have been

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=What+was+the+fi...the +roads%3F
? (Changed "dive" to drive)

Ask the OP!

I did!

From the order of posts on my newsreader the "OP" for that link is you -
unless the link came from a gmail or googlemail address (both killfiled by
me to cut spam levels) and poor cutting of the 'reply' post left no clue as
to its true origin.

Unbeliever, Rod is quoting the Subject of the thread where the OP (Dave)
made the original typo.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 14 May 2009 01:10:17 +0100, (Steve Firth)
wrote:

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Dave submitted this idea :
I think it was the mini.

Dave

Mini.

AFAIK no car has ever been fitted with front wheel dive, although some
amphibians have come close.

The Series III Land Rover had it.
When the halfshafts broke, which they often did if you didn't have a
Salisbury diff, you could select 4WD and use the front axle as the
main drive. However, if you turned a sharp corner the steering wheel
would be ripped out of your hands and the vehicle would run into a
full lock. It was probably something to do with slack on the dog
clutch.
First time it happened to me I took out a bollard off the Pentonville
Road in Islington.

Regards,

--
Steve ( out in the sticks )
Email: Take time to reply: timefrom_usenet{at}gmx.net
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Donwill wrote:
There was the Morgan 3 wheeler, I think the similar BSA had a long chain
drive to the rear wheel,If my memory serves me correctly.
Don

There were Morgans with shaft drive as well as those with chain - both
to rear wheel. Of the couple in my direct experience (and allowing for
many years passing), the Jap V-twin engined one had chain drive and the
Ford pop engined one had shaft.

(The Tri-King 'replica' had, IIRC, shaft drive.)

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:
Unbeliever wrote:
Rod wrote:
Dave wrote:
I think it was the mini.

Dave
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=What+was+the+first+front+wheel+dive+car+on+the+ roads%3F
Should that link have been

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=What+was+the+fi...the +roads%3F
? (Changed "dive" to drive)

Ask the OP!

I did!

From the order of posts on my newsreader the "OP" for that link is you -
unless the link came from a gmail or googlemail address (both killfiled by
me to cut spam levels) and poor cutting of the 'reply' post left no clue as
to its true origin.

Unbeliever, Rod is quoting the Subject of the thread where the OP (Dave)
made the original typo.

I don't think so. Here is my post...

"I think it was the mini.

Dave"

In total

Dave

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Dave submitted this idea :
I think it was the mini.

Dave

Mini.

Bond minicar (1948) pre-dated that....!

Ah! Yes, I forgot about that. I must be confusing the question with the
first transverse engine :-(

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Rod wrote:
Unbeliever wrote:
Rod wrote:
Dave wrote:
I think it was the mini.

Dave
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=What+was+the+first+front+wheel+dive+car+on+the+ roads%3F

Should that link have been

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=What+was+the+fi...the +roads%3F

? (Changed "dive" to drive)

Ask the OP!
I did!

From the order of posts on my newsreader the "OP" for that link is
you - unless the link came from a gmail or googlemail address (both
killfiled by me to cut spam levels) and poor cutting of the 'reply'
post left no clue as to its true origin.

Unbeliever, Rod is quoting the Subject of the thread where the OP (Dave)
made the original typo.

I don't think so. Here is my post...

"I think it was the mini.

Dave"

In total

Dave

SteveW

Yes - and that is the post I replied to (thinking initially that it was
the OP punting a guess). No snipping. No changes to headers. Just a
vanilla reply.

Had I seen a real OP, I would have responded in the same slightly
sarcastic way to that. As it is, I am still unaware of the OP. Judging
by what I can see of the thread, most other posts also saw Dave's post
but not the OP.

--
Rod

onset.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 14 May 2009 18:53:13 +0100, Rod wrote:

Rod wrote:
Unbeliever wrote:
Rod wrote:
Dave wrote:
I think it was the mini.

Dave
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=What+was+the+first+front+wheel+dive+car+on+the+ roads%3F

Should that link have been

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=What+was+the+fi...the +roads%3F

? (Changed "dive" to drive)

Ask the OP!
I did!

From the order of posts on my newsreader the "OP" for that link is
[...]

That's the way I saw it, Dave's is the first post in this thread for me and
I assumed that he was asking the question in the subject and putting in his
own guess to the answer.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Rod wrote:
Unbeliever wrote:
Rod wrote:
Dave wrote:
I think it was the mini.

Dave
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=What+was+the+first+front+wheel+dive+car+on+the+ roads%3F

Should that link have been

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=What+was+the+fi...the +roads%3F

? (Changed "dive" to drive)

Ask the OP!
I did!

From the order of posts on my newsreader the "OP" for that link is
[...]

Also the case if you look in Google groups. And when I look at the
header, there is no References tag...

Subject:
What was the first front wheel dive car on the roads?
From:
Dave
Date:
Wed, 13 May 2009 22:19:04 +0100
Newsgroups:
uk.d-i-y
00000000
Wed, 13 May 2009 16:19:07 -0500
Newsgroups:
uk.d-i-y
7bit
http://www.giganews.com

Otherwise we will be unable to process your complaint properly
1129
uni-berlin.de uk.d-i-y:886147
Clean

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Dave submitted this idea :
I think it was the mini.

Dave
Mini.

Bond minicar (1948) pre-dated that....!

Ah! Yes, I forgot about that. I must be confusing the question with the
first transverse engine :-(

Most steam cars had transverse engines..
Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:

Rod wrote:
Unbeliever wrote:
Rod wrote:
Dave wrote:
I think it was the mini.

Dave
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=What+was+the+first+front+wheel+dive+car+on+the+ roads%3F

Should that link have been

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=What+was+the+fi...the +roads%3F

? (Changed "dive" to drive)

Ask the OP!
I did!

From the order of posts on my newsreader the "OP" for that link is
[...]

Due to the nature of my news reader, I cant go back to posts it deleates.
Thinking about it, I remember the OP being made, but not it's content.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:
Unbeliever wrote:
Rod wrote:
Dave wrote:
I think it was the mini.

Dave
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=What+was+the+first+front+wheel+dive+car+on+the+ roads%3F

Should that link have been

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=What+was+the+fi...the +roads%3F

? (Changed "dive" to drive)

Ask the OP!
I did!

From the order of posts on my newsreader the "OP" for that link is
[...]

Subject:
What was the first front wheel dive car on the roads?
From:
Dave
Date:
Wed, 13 May 2009 22:19:04 +0100
Newsgroups:
uk.d-i-y
00000000

Newsgroups:
uk.d-i-y
7bit
http://www.giganews.com

Otherwise we will be unable to process your complaint properly
1129
uni-berlin.de uk.d-i-y:886147
Clean

From that, I can see where the confusion came from :-)

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Does Nicolas Cugnot's steam-powered three-wheeler of 1770 count?
Admittedly it was really intended as a haulage vehicle, not for
passenger
use,

It is, nevertheless, officially the first car in the world, recognised as
such by the FIA.

Really? The FIA are normally a bit sniffy about recognising tricycles
as "cars", hence the 1964 land speed record splitting between
Campbell's four-wheeler Bluebird holding the FIA record whilst
Breedlove's tricycle was faster, but only held the FIM record as a
tricycle motorcycle.

Technically, it was an artillery tractor, but I suppose they are willing to
be a bit more flexible about definitions that far back.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "Dave Plowman (News)"
saying something like:

In article ,
Dave wrote:

I think it was the mini.

You think wrong.

Alvis made them in 1928 - a racing model first followed by a road car.
Then of course the famous Citroen Traction Avant - 1934 onwards.

Probably other earlier FWD - but those are the landmarks.

FIAT made a small fwd car in about 1929. It was probably the first
popular (or not, depending on reliability) fwd. Can't recall the model
name, though.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "nightjar" cpb@insert my surname
here.me.uk saying something like:

It is, nevertheless, officially the first car in the world, recognised as
such by the FIA.

Like I'm going to take any notice of that bunch of old Nazis.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Grimly Curmudgeon contains these words:

I think it was the mini.

You think wrong.

Alvis made them in 1928 - a racing model first followed by a road car.
Then of course the famous Citroen Traction Avant - 1934 onwards.

Probably other earlier FWD - but those are the landmarks.

FIAT made a small fwd car in about 1929. It was probably the first
popular (or not, depending on reliability) fwd. Can't recall the model
name, though.

Apologies if this is repeat information but my message last night has
yet to appear on zetnet's news server.

The 1931 DKW had both transverse engine and FWD. Likewise the postwar Saab 92.

--
Roger Chapman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave" wrote in message
Steve Walker wrote:

Unbeliever, Rod is quoting the Subject of the thread where the OP (Dave)
made the original typo.

I don't think so. Here is my post...

"I think it was the mini.

Dave"

In total

Dave

The typo is in the title, not in the body - dive instead of drive.

Colin Bignell

OT - Potholes in roads John UK diy 19 April 21st 09 10:35 PM
OT Your tax bill - £100 million......for roads in Africa. Love Europe, Hate the EU UK diy 0 April 6th 09 07:25 PM
Suggest a front swivel wheel lawn mower - thinking Ariens hombrewdude Home Repair 4 May 6th 08 07:46 PM
Craftsman front wheel drive mower won't drive. tomkanpa Home Repair 3 May 23rd 07 04:30 PM