Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stephen Howard Stephen Howard is offline

Default What was the first front wheel dive car on the roads?

On Thu, 14 May 2009 01:10:17 +0100, (Steve Firth)
wrote:

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Dave submitted this idea :
I think it was the mini.

Dave

Mini.

AFAIK no car has ever been fitted with front wheel dive, although some
amphibians have come close.

The Series III Land Rover had it.
When the halfshafts broke, which they often did if you didn't have a
Salisbury diff, you could select 4WD and use the front axle as the
main drive. However, if you turned a sharp corner the steering wheel
would be ripped out of your hands and the vehicle would run into a
full lock. It was probably something to do with slack on the dog
clutch.
First time it happened to me I took out a bollard off the Pentonville
Road in Islington.

Regards,

--
Steve ( out in the sticks )
Email: Take time to reply: timefrom_usenet{at}gmx.net