Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Suggest a front swivel wheel lawn mower - thinking Ariens

My front swivel Ariens finally died. It had a 5.5 Tecumseh engine

The new Ariens LM21SW Has a Kohler or Kawasaki 6.0 motor.

Not sure what the better motor is, they are both $650

Any other suggestions for a mower?
I have never used a mower with straight wheels, the swivel wheels let
the mower go around my landscape.

I looked at the John Deere, but it has a Briggs and Straton Motor -
not sure how good those are.
Posted to alt.home.repair

It seems like most if not all other mowers do not offer front swivel
wheels?
Maybe I need to try a straight wheel mower as they are more common.

Any suggestions on a brand? I want nice power, the self propel speed
should be adjustable and fast and the mower should be built to last.
The ariens was quick but the new Sears that I bought and took back was
rather slow.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Joseph Meehan wrote:
"hombrewdude" wrote in message
My front swivel Ariens finally died. It had a 5.5 Tecumseh engine

The new Ariens LM21SW Has a Kohler or Kawasaki 6.0 motor.

Not sure what the better motor is, they are both $650

Any other suggestions for a mower?
I have never used a mower with straight wheels, the swivel wheels let
the mower go around my landscape.

I looked at the John Deere, but it has a Briggs and Straton Motor -
not sure how good those are.

There is a good reason most mowers don't have those swivel wheels.
They make the straight cuts a little harder, while they make the trim
cuts a little easier. Most people use the non-swivel wheels and do just
fine. A little down pressure on the handle reduces pressure on the
front wheels so the mower can turn with little problem. If you have a
lot of irregular trimming to do and little large areas with straight
cuts, I would look for swivel type, otherwise I would look for the
standard set up and save money.

I just bought a new battery powered electric mower. It is doing just
fine. It is a little lighter than my old gas and is quieter. Not the
same power for really tall grass, but I don't do that often anyway and I
can borrow a neighbors (maybe complete with their son or daughter) to
get the job done if needed.

It has been my experience that there are differences between engines,
but brands have both good and also cheap engines. The professional
engines start easier, run quieter, last longer and have more power.
They also cost a lot more. Only you can judge if the difference is
worth it and if you have a lawn that is large enough and has enough
trimming to do to justify it.

You also may want to try ratings like Consumer Reports as a source of
information on current models. Few people here are going to be able to
give you information on more than one model and since their needs and
experience will be limited, it may not apply to you (although it may be
useful).

Good reply to which I can only add a model with large rear wheels makes
it easier to lift the front.

Lou
Posted to alt.home.repair

LouB wrote:
Joseph Meehan wrote:
[...]

I have had my Ariens for over 15 years and would buy another one. It has
always started on the first or second pull. I don't have the front
swivel wheels. Also Briggs is a good brand motor. Kohler is also a good
motor. I agree with the larger rear wheels.
I tried Snapper years ago and I was not impressed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joseph Meehan" wrote:

I just bought a new battery powered electric mower.

what brand and model may I ask?