Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Toll roads and the law

H. Neary wrote:
The idea of a disabled car park is to provide room for those with
artificial aids or limited mobility to get to and from their vehicles.

No, it's to provide room for people with limited mobility. Whether
they
need articifial aids or not is irrelevant.

Use your wonderful paranormal ability and look at this picture and
diagnose my condition: http://pics.mdfs.net/2011/01/110105.htm

JGH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 19, 12:16*am, jgharston wrote:
H. Neary wrote:
The idea of a disabled car park is to provide room for those with
artificial aids or limited mobility to get to and from their vehicles.

No, it's to provide room for people with limited mobility. Whether
they
need articifial aids or not is irrelevant.

Use your wonderful paranormal ability and look at this picture and
diagnose my condition:http://pics.mdfs.net/2011/01/110105.htm

JGH

You look legless. Perhaps you took too big of a swig.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 18 Feb 2012 23:19:09 +0000, John Williamson
wrote:

geoff wrote:
In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
H. Neary wrote:
On the plus side, as far as I am aware no one has been done for
speeding on my local Asda car park.

Probably isn't defined as a highway anyway.

But (ICBW) the laws of the road still apply

I've seen many signs in car parks warning people that the Road Traffic
laws apply in the car park.

I think I once read that if the pvblic have generally unrestricted
access to a sort of "driving area", it's classed as a pvblic highway.
A car park with tolls and barriers can be considered to be totally
private, but I'm not certain about things like if you leave your
untaxed vehicle in Asda's car park for a few fortnights.

--
Frank Erskine

"No longer drink only water, but take a little wine for the sake of your stomach and your frequent
ailments" (1 Tim 5:23).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 18 Feb 2012 23:04:01 +0000, Steve Walker
wrote:

On 18/02/2012 19:03, jgharston wrote:
H. Neary wrote:
You should see all the diabled people that are miraculously "cured"
when they stop in the disabled car park.

Oo, wonderful, you have temporal x-ray vision and determine
a person's physcal ability by just looking at them from a
distance.

JGH

It's not just physical ability. Some people have mental health problems
that necessitate spaces close to the entrance, as disabled spaces
generally are.

Should people with "mental health problems" automatically be driving?
Why should it be necessary to park "close to the entrance"?
I ask this in the sincerest form...

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 18 Feb 2012 16:16:20 -0800 (PST), jgharston
wrote:

H. Neary wrote:
The idea of a disabled car park is to provide room for those with
artificial aids or limited mobility to get to and from their vehicles.

No, it's to provide room for people with limited mobility. Whether
they
need articifial aids or not is irrelevant.

Use your wonderful paranormal ability and look at this picture and
diagnose my condition: http://pics.mdfs.net/2011/01/110105.htm

JGH

Piles and mental problems.

The pained expression is a dead givaway for the piles. The blue tinge
to your skin suggests cyanosis or poor colour correction of the photo.

The mental problems are given away by the glazed eyes and a hankering
for eight bit processors.

Incidentally the wooly had would more than qualify you for as short
and unnoticable trip as possible to the cover of the building. They
can have a cruel sense of humour round these parts.

HTH

HN

Posted to uk.d-i-y

jgharston wrote:

Use your wonderful paranormal ability and look at this picture and
diagnose my condition: http://pics.mdfs.net/2011/01/110105.htm

Dutch Elm Disease?

Sorry!

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hmm, that would be bizarre.. I'd imagine the acceleration needed to reach
any speed in a car park might well be fatal from the g forces.

Brian

Email:

"H. Neary" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 18 Feb 2012 08:30:37 -0000, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

A friend of mine reckons he can use toll roads in this country to open up
his high speed motor without fear of prosecution, I'm not so sure and I
told
him so, but it does make me think, do Police and emergency services have
pay the toll to get on these roads?

Brian

http://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?t=45832

On the plus side, as far as I am aware no one has been done for
speeding on my local Asda car park.

HN

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well, I do feel that misuse of these badges is now quite rife. The whole
idea is, for whatever reason to get the person as close to where they need
to be as possible. See my earlier message for why blind folk need
one,(other reasons exist which are location dependent) butthere are
conditions like MS where the physical effects vary from day to day.
Brian

Email:

"jgharston" wrote in message
H. Neary wrote:
You should see all the diabled people that are miraculously "cured"
when they stop in the disabled car park.

Oo, wonderful, you have temporal x-ray vision and determine
a person's physcal ability by just looking at them from a
distance.

JGH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Oh dear, lets get off this my disability is worse than yours tack, and by
the way, the quote attribution is making me lose thewill to live... Brian

Email:

"thirty-six" wrote in message
On Feb 18, 11:30 pm, H. Neary wrote:
On Sat, 18 Feb 2012 23:17:04 +0000, John Williamson

wrote:
H. Neary wrote:
On Sat, 18 Feb 2012 14:42:57 -0800 (PST), thirty-six
wrote:

On Feb 18, 9:19 pm, H. Neary wrote:
On Sat, 18 Feb 2012 20:27:44 -0000, "dennis@home"

wrote:

"H. Neary" wrote in message
om...
Disabilities that only become apparent using X ray vision would
hardly
limit someones ability to walk a few yards extra now, would they?
Heart failure!
You don't have to have visible damage to be disabled.
We are not talking a polar trek now are we? A supermarket car park is
not a great distance to travel even for those with health problems.

Someone who's walking ability is restricted because of heart failiure
would not magically be o/k if they were saved walking ten yards or so
would they? The fact that they are allowed to drive at all if they
have such a serious heart problem may be open to debate BTW.

Incidentally if there are no obvious signs or sounds of their
problem,
a bit of a walk may not be a bad idea anyway.
That could lead to collapse, particularly at this time of year. Yes a
few yards can make all the difference to someone with heart failure.
A disabled car park is more spacious, although an enlarged heart may
be one of the problems associated with the condition, I would doubt
that the expansion warrants an extra meter or so of wheelchair of
wheelchair space to manouver in.
The enlargement occurs when the heart has been weakened for
considerable time it is compensation for weakness in the heart muscle,
however that has occured.
Disabled spaces are not a consolation prize for someone with a cross
to bear, they are specifically designed to serve a purpose for those
that need it!
and?
How then does the extra space help the heart patient?

You still miss the point.

The extra space is for the wheelchair and users of other mobility aids.
The closeness to the store entrance is to help those who can't walk far,
including, but not limited to those with pneumoconioisis or other lung
diseases (Miners' lung and Farmers' lung are two common, non jargon
names), and heart problems. Did you not notice the way that once they
got into the dry, your "jogging" disabled people stopped for a breather
on the seats just inside the store doors?

No

Actually some of the spaces for the disabled are further away than the
standard spaces at my local Asda. Guess what, every user seems to
manage to display a blue badge on those spaces, whereas those opposite
the entrance seem to be taken up by what most uninformed individuals
would assume are fit healthy people who are just too embarassed to
display a badge advertising their condition.

HN

Sometimes I don't.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

He is old enough to know better. In his second pubity I think.
He has I pads I phones and all that gear.
grin

I won't be with him if he tries it.. grin

brian

Email:

wrote:

A friend of mine reckons he can use toll roads in this country to open up
his high speed motor without fear of prosecution,

There's no limit on stupidity, so tell him to go ahead. Remember to
post the outcome.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 18, 8:16*pm, "js.b1" wrote:
On Feb 18, 4:51*pm, harry wrote:

It is as you pass 140mph that drag takes over, bhp required rockets
and mpg begins to collapse.

The main form of drag varies as the square of speed. There is no magic
number at which it suddenly happens.

What? I do not imply that there is...

At 99mph only 64 bhp is needed - hence mpg is 32.
At 140mph drag is SO much higher that bhp required rockets and mpg
begins to collapse.

56mph may only require 8 bhp, with mpg of 58.
100mph however requires 64 bhp, with mpg of 32.
140mph requires over 171 bhp, with mpg of 17.
250mph requires over 1000 bhp, with mpg of 5.

As cars pass a 140mph top speed so bhp rockets & mpg collapses,
including around town (the 1000bhp car for example only delivers 15mpg
on the urban cycle). Aesthetically people are not too keen on a super
low coefficient of drag vehicles, but at some point that will change
as oil company pricing bites.

As you are an idiot,

You are a ****ing moron. Try using batteries instead of PV.

that means if you go twice as fast you get four times the drag.
If you go three times as fast, you get nine times the drag.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drag_equation

Drag at 99mph is not particularly high in modern cars, drag past
140mph most certainly is and bhp must rocket to compensate.

There is no "barrier" or sudden jump at 140 mph orany other speed up
to the speed of sound Drag increases progressively.
Only an idiot would think there is.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

H. Neary wrote:
You should see all the diabled people that are miraculously "cured"
when they stop in the disabled car park.

Oo, wonderful, you have temporal x-ray vision and determine
a person's physcal ability by just looking at them from a
distance.

JGH

It's not just physical ability. Some people have mental health problems
that necessitate spaces close to the entrance, as disabled spaces
generally are.

SteveW

If they're that mental should they be driving at all?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"H. Neary" wrote in message
[...]

Tciao for Now!

John.- Hide quoted text -

But if they can walk all round a store pushing a trolley, why will a
slightly shortened journey in the car be needed.?
The same applies with these parent and child spaces.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

* H. Neary wrote:
On the plus side, as far as I am aware no one has been done for
speeding on my local Asda car park.

Probably isn't defined as a highway anyway.

But (ICBW) the laws of the road still apply

I've seen many signs in car parks warning people that the Road Traffic
laws apply in the car park.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

I wonder then why they have road signs that are non-compliant?
Eg the pedestrian crossings rarely have th eflashing beacons.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

polygonum wrote:

I have seen the paralympics, and none of the Asda sprinters seem to
bear much resemblance, for a start the Asda sprinters seem to favour
4X4's rather than manually powered traction units favoured by the
paralympians.

Big high cars are much better for carting wheelchairs and breathing
equipment about.

The idea of a disabled car park is to provide room for those with
artificial aids or limited mobility to get to and from their vehicles.

A lot of people's limited mobility means they can walk but not very far,
or with great pain.

I would expect loonies, people with limited hearing or ugly mothers in
law to make do with a 50 yard walk like the rest of us.

Disabilities that only become apparent using X ray vision would hardly
limit someones ability to walk a few yards extra now, would they?

Yes they would. MS, heart problems, COPD, in fact any cardio-vascular
problem can limit the distance a person can walk. There's also mental
issues like agoraphobia, which can make a long walk across a car park a
nightmare. I have a very close friend who suffered from that and in
order to get him from the car to the shop I had to hold on to him to
make him feel that little bit safer. Believe me you wouldn't want that
quaking, tearful, and frankly embarrassing performance to go on any
longer than necessary.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

jgharston wrote:
H. Neary wrote:
You should see all the diabled people that are miraculously "cured"
when they stop in the disabled car park.

I have a friend with MS who can walk perfectly well for 50 yards but
then has to stop for five minutes to recover.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"jgharston" wrote in message

Use your wonderful paranormal ability and look at this picture and
diagnose my condition: http://pics.mdfs.net/2011/01/110105.htm

agrophobia.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/02/2012 05:59, Brian Gaff wrote:
So define access.

The general principle is that it is what any reasonable person would
view as having access.

If race tracks can be hired for a fee then the public
have access.

Anyone can use the track at any time when it is open, irrespective of
whether other people are using it or not, simply upon payment of an
entry fee? That should make F1 races interesting.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dennis@home" wrote in message
b.com...

"jgharston" wrote in message

Use your wonderful paranormal ability and look at this picture and
diagnose my condition: http://pics.mdfs.net/2011/01/110105.htm

agrophobia. When visiting my father, he used to get me to drive to the
supermarket. I used to drop him off right at the entrance and then park in
the disabled parking spot putting his badge on display. Then go and find
him and he would drive a little buggy which the supermarket provides. That
is why you can see people able to walk quite well parking in the disabled
parking. The badge is not just for the driver but for the passenger as
well. I do notice people parking there that may not qualify but what else
do you expect in Tory England. Look after number one Maggie said and this
present crop are no better

Robbie

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Nightjar
writes
On 19/02/2012 05:59, Brian Gaff wrote:
So define access.

The general principle is that it is what any reasonable person would
view as having access.

If race tracks can be hired for a fee then the public
have access.

Anyone can use the track at any time when it is open, irrespective of
whether other people are using it or not, simply upon payment of an
entry fee? That should make F1 races interesting.

Colin Bignell

I once watched a race at Mallory Park with a mini cooper competing with
single seaters. Held his lead as long as the track stayed wet but as it
began to dry out they just left him standing.
--
hugh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , charles
writes
In article ,
wrote:
On Sat, 18 Feb 2012 19:42:36 +0000, H. Neary
wrote:

Disabilities that only become apparent using X ray vision would hardly
limit someones ability to walk a few yards extra now, would they?

Umm.. how about a heart condition or one lung? How about chronic
arthritis? How about, .... etc?

There's no shortage of conditions that could allow the driver to 'have
a good day' when he/she can actually walk fine without displaying the
signs of pain or disablement that you are scanning for in your cursory
examination.
However, I know that some do take the ****; especially those who are
out in the disabled person's car for essential supplies. They're not
supposed to do their own shopping at the same time - or at least, use
disabled spaces when they do.

on the other hand, when I, as a driver for a local charity, take someone to
the local hospital, I am permitted to use one of the Disabled Only spaces at
the hospital while I wait - not that I can ever find one free - so I go down
the road to Tesco.

And if you were to use a blue badge parking space at Tescos you would be
in breach of the regulations and if reported you could lose the badge.
--
hugh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , geoff
writes
In message , Steve Walker
writes
H. Neary wrote:
You should see all the diabled people that are miraculously "cured"
when they stop in the disabled car park.

Oo, wonderful, you have temporal x-ray vision and determine
a person's physcal ability by just looking at them from a
distance.

JGH

It's not just physical ability. Some people have mental health
problems that necessitate spaces close to the entrance, as disabled
spaces generally are.

"Doctor, I need a blue badge"

"What for"

"I suffer from Lazicus ****ticus"

I can assure you the new assessment process would ensure you didn't get
a badge.
--
hugh

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
harry writes

H. Neary wrote:
You should see all the diabled people that are miraculously "cured"
when they stop in the disabled car park.

Oo, wonderful, you have temporal x-ray vision and determine
a person's physcal ability by just looking at them from a
distance.

JGH

It's not just physical ability. Some people have mental health problems
that necessitate spaces close to the entrance, as disabled spaces
generally are.

SteveW

If they're that mental should they be driving at all?

The vast majority of people have "mental health" problems from time to
time just as they have physical health problems - colds, flu etc.

Doesn't mean they are nutters, and they certainly won't get a blue badge
under the new system purely on that basis.
--
hugh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/02/2012 10:41, Bill Wright wrote:
polygonum wrote:

I have seen the paralympics, and none of the Asda sprinters seem to
bear much resemblance, for a start the Asda sprinters seem to favour
4X4's rather than manually powered traction units favoured by the
paralympians.

Big high cars are much better for carting wheelchairs and breathing
equipment about.

Not only that, but my late father found it far easier to transfer from
his wheelchair to the seat in a Discovery (and vice versa) than to the
much lower seat of a saloon car.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 19 Feb 2012 07:27:57 -0000, harry wrote:

If they're that mental should they be driving at all?

The person who needs the blue badge might not be the driver.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 19, 7:23*am, harry wrote:
On Feb 18, 8:16*pm, "js.b1" wrote:

On Feb 18, 4:51*pm, harry wrote:

[...]

About 125mph is the maximum on english roads with a modern saloon.
90mph down the lanes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 19, 12:34*pm, Nightjar
wrote:
On 19/02/2012 05:59, Brian Gaff wrote:

So define access.

The general principle is that it is what any reasonable person would
view as having access.

If race tracks *can be hired for a fee then the public
have access.

Anyone can use the track at any time when it is open, irrespective of
whether other people are using it or not, simply upon payment of an
entry fee? That should make F1 races interesting.

Colin Bignell

I think a racing licence for the category may be involved along with a
published list of starters and perhaps a safety inspection. I
suppose one could argue a track is not open if there is a race on it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"H. Neary" wrote in message
[...]

I've not found it possible. There have been occasions where I have
walked in and found myself gasping and returned directly to my car
without picking anything up. Using the trolley as a walking aid is a
more accurate description and I'm unable to fill and move a standard
trolley.

slightly shortened journey in the car be needed.?
The same applies with these parent and child spaces.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 18 Feb 2012 21:19:08 +0000, H. Neary
wrote:

On Sat, 18 Feb 2012 20:27:44 -0000, "dennis@home"
wrote:

"H. Neary" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Did you have to take night school classes to become such a ****ing
idiot or were you just born that way?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

thirty-six wrote:

About 125mph is the maximum on english roads with a modern saloon.
90mph down the lanes.

Not true legally or physically. In fact, just plain nonsense.

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 19 Feb 2012 07:31:29 -0000, harry wrote:

But if they can walk all round a store pushing a trolley, why will a
slightly shortened journey in the car be needed.?
The same applies with these parent and child spaces.

Harry - why are you so completely unable to dream up your own examples?
Why does the disabled person have to push their trolley? I always push
ours because partner cannot.

Example the first

You suffer from a problem that results in extreme burning pain in your
feet. People with this problem are often prescribed morphine ad lib.

You cannot wear socks as they cause the heat to rise and make the pain
worse. Indeed, you can only just about bear to wear the skimpiest open
sandals because, if you do not, the pain caused by the surface of the
pavement or road is unbearable. And to add to this, any sun on the skin
makes it even more painful and delicate.

On top of these issues, if once the problem flares up, it can continue to
cause severe pain for hours, days - even weeks.

But once inside the store, the cool air spilling out of the refrigerated
units makes life much more bearable for while.

So anything that can reduce the distance that has to be walked is a major
boon.

Example the second

You suffer from uncontrollable foot pain when subjected to significant
cooling of the feet - something like chilblains (perniosis) but different.
Therefore walking through the car park in the winter can be unbearable.
And doing so can result in further damage and pain that continues for days
afterwards.

So anything that can reduce the distance that has to be walked is a major
boon.

Example the third

Combine the above into one person. And yes, there appear to be utter
contradictions in this disorder. But they damn well exist.

I assume your next totally compassionless, dickhead argument will suggest
that she should never go out... Or she should always go out at night.

Why the hell have I just wasted that time responding...

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"thirty-six" wrote in message

About 125mph is the maximum on english roads with a modern saloon.
90mph down the lanes.

If you did that on a motorway you would trip the speed sensors and have all
the motorway units waiting for you.
They may not use the speed sensors to catch people but they sure as hell use
them to find speeders and alert units to intercept.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 19, 8:23*pm, "dennis@home" wrote:
"thirty-six" wrote in message

About 125mph is the maximum on english roads with a modern saloon.
90mph down the lanes.

If you did that on a motorway you would trip the speed sensors and have all
the motorway units waiting for you.

It was a long time ago and surprisingly for me at the time I didn't
enjoy it even though I drove about 60 miles at around that speed
simply for the thrill of it. I doubt I'll ever drive at that speed
again except over a short distance, the mental strain is simply too
much to keep on top of unless one is in perfect mental and physical
health. It's understandable that those incapable of giving 100%
attention to driving would require a limit far below 100mph even with
wide lanes. There are roads which are effectively motorways where
high speeds can be used without attracting the attention of police,
well most of the time.

They may not use the speed sensors to catch people but they sure as hell use
them to find speeders and alert units to intercept.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/02/2012 05:49, Brian Gaff wrote:
I assume at those speeds the air viscosity is more of a problem.
Not being a driver, I don't know, but I suppose the place to do your
speeding then is a very high up motorway!

Air drag is proportional to the square of the speed, so power required
is proportional to the cube. There are no cliffs or such in the drag
curves.

At high altitude the drag will drop - which is why jet aircraft cruise
at high altitude - but petrol engines lose power as there is less air -
which is why propeller aircraft tend to stay low.

A turbo charged engine is less affected by altitude - usually the turbo
can feed more air than the engine can take without blowing up, so the
air flow is limited. At altitude the turbo just works a bit harder.

Andy.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"H. Neary" wrote in message
[...]

Have you reported your level of disability to the DVLA?

Someone gasping for breath whilst shopping should not be driving a
car.

HN

slightly shortened journey in the car be needed.?
The same applies with these parent and child spaces.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 19 Feb 2012 18:20:43 -0000, polygonum
wrote:

On Sun, 19 Feb 2012 07:27:57 -0000, harry wrote:

If they're that mental should they be driving at all?

The person who needs the blue badge might not be the driver.

Well surely the use of a disabled space would not apply. An able
bodied driver would I'm sure drop his passenger off at the entrance to
the store and find a space amongst the rabble.

This has the added advantage of removing the risk of his passenger
being knocked over.

HN
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Sun, 19 Feb 2012 07:27:57 -0000, harry wrote:

If they're that mental should they be driving at all?

The person who needs the blue badge might not be the driver.

Well surely the use of a disabled space would not apply. An able
bodied driver would I'm sure drop his passenger off at the entrance to
the store and find a space amongst the rabble.

This has the added advantage of removing the risk of his passenger
being knocked over.

HN

Are you all complete fuxking morons?

Someone with, for example, cerebellar ataxia needs to be ACCOMPANIED. You
can't just tip them out and leave them to it.

--
Rod

Grit bin for the local roads for winter David WE Roberts[_4_] UK diy 27 December 29th 11 02:14 PM
What was the first front wheel dive car on the roads? Dave UK diy 41 May 15th 09 06:01 PM
OT - Potholes in roads John UK diy 19 April 21st 09 10:35 PM
OT Your tax bill - £100 million......for roads in Africa. Love Europe, Hate the EU UK diy 0 April 6th 09 07:25 PM
3218/32,544 INVESTED IN FAILURE! 03/19/07 Newsweek: The Human Toll the Coalition death toll has topped 3,400 and estimated civilian fatalities stand at more than 64,000. BGKM Woodworking 0 March 20th 07 04:46 AM