Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default snow shovel

Hi,

I got caught out today because I did not have a shovel to shift snow.

There seem to be two types of "snow shovel": one that is a big scoop
on a stick and another which looks like a normal shovel but is made of
plastic.

Is any one type better than the rest or are they all as good as each
other?

I can see that the big scoop type will shift move snow in one go but
as you are still shifting the same weight of snow whether you move
fewer heavier throws or twice as many lighter ones, overall isn't the
effort the same?

I can see that the plastic shovels have two advantages: unlike metal
shovels, they will not rust, and they are lighter to carry in the car.
Other than these, are they any different to a normal (and cheaper)
shovel, like this one:

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Hand.../sd2669/p32828

TIA
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 05 Feb 2012 16:42:04 +0000, Fred wrote:

There seem to be two types of "snow shovel": one that is a big scoop on
a stick and another which looks like a normal shovel but is made of
plastic.

Is any one type better than the rest or are they all as good as each
other?

I can see that the plastic shovels have two advantages: unlike metal
shovels, they will not rust, and they are lighter to carry in the car.
Other than these, are they any different to a normal (and cheaper)
shovel, like this one:

The main advantage is that the snow doesn't stick to them like it does to
metal. Scoop or plastic shovel both do the same job but the weight of
snow in a shovel can be very high so I use the shovel to push the snow
aside and the scoop type when it needs throwing aside.

For fresh 'powder snow' I use a leaf blower which takes away all the
effort!

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

I bought a shovel like this (but not the same):

http://www.absolute-snow.co.uk/P/Ort...826509%29.aspx

It is so light, snow moving is much, much easier than the shovels and
things I have previously used. While not as large as some (like the TS
one), it is incredibly effective. I'd say it feels like half the effort.
Much easier to do two light scoops than one heavy one - especially if you
are not used that sort of activity (like me).

The telescopic and detachable handle makes it easy to find somewhere to
stow it in the car. And it feels very, very strong.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Fred" wrote in message
Hi,

I got caught out today because I did not have a shovel to shift snow.

There seem to be two types of "snow shovel": one that is a big scoop
on a stick and another which looks like a normal shovel but is made of
plastic.

Is any one type better than the rest or are they all as good as each
other?

I can see that the big scoop type will shift move snow in one go but
as you are still shifting the same weight of snow whether you move
fewer heavier throws or twice as many lighter ones, overall isn't the
effort the same?

snip

Extend that comparison to moving the snow with a teaspoon and you may find
the effort is considerably more. :-)

Probably most efficient (and a lot faster) to move as much as you can shift
with each shovel load, so the bigger lighter shovel should be better.

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/02/2012 17:12, David WE Roberts wrote:

"Fred" wrote in message
[...]

Nah - there's a sweet spot between too heavy and too light. Same as
gearing, and it'll vary between people.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fred wrote:

[...]

For the really serious, there is this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRvbd7urf4k

and:
http://www.gizmag.com/for-the-man-wi...owblower/4889/

They used to make an engine-powered margharita mixer, too.
--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 05 Feb 2012 10:47:44 -0600, David P wrote:

I use the shovel to push the snow
aside and the scoop type when it needs throwing aside.

Thanks for the replies.

I hadn't realised that plastic had non-stick properties; that's a good
point.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Fred" wrote in message
[...]

Agreed - I was surprised quite how tiring a metal shovel was. Didn't seem
that heavy, for each load, but after a while it was very tiring. Both the
weight of the load and the shovel itself contributed. Am quite convinced I
could move twice the amount with the light one before giving up.

And yes, the non-stick side is a benefit.

Think I'll give the teaspoon a miss, thanks. :-)

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fred wrote:

Is any one type better than the rest or are they all as good as each
other?

Much the same.

I use one of these:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/TELESCOPIC-E...R-SPADE/dp/B00
683YZP4/ref=pd_sim_sbs_diy_1

I got it after being stuck in a fairly big snowstorm in Switzerland. We
managed to make it to a motorway service station in time to bed down for
the night, but in the morning the snow came up to the base of the
windscreen. Of a Fiat Ducato. I managed to borrow a shovel and dig my
way out but I made a note to get a shovel like the one I was loaned.
Telescopic is useful for a shovel to carry in a car.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 05 Feb 2012 16:42:04 +0000, Fred wrote:
There seem to be two types of "snow shovel": one that is a big scoop on
a stick and another which looks like a normal shovel but is made of
plastic.

We have three here; a big scoop type that's about 2' wide (plastic scoop,
adjustable metal handle), a plastic flat-blade type that's about 16"
wide, and a metal flat-blade type (also about 16" wide) that has a wooden
handle.

The scoop's quite good on the right type of snow, although deep snow
tends to fall off the back long before I hit the point where I couldn't
physically push any more; I keep thinking I should add some form of 6"
high wall at the back of it so I can move more snow with it.

The flat metal-bladed shovel is probably many decades old; it's rusty and
dented, but it's bloody brilliant for cutting and lifting the kind of
heavy, ice-laden snow that the scoop doesn't like shunting around.

The flat plastic-bladed shovel is an utter crock of cheap ****. Don't buy
one if you can find a metal version. I suspect that the plastic doesn't
like the cold; every one of that type we've had has eventually cracked
around the point where the blade attaches to the handle.

Oh, we also keep metal (wooden-handled) shovels (maybe 8" wide) in the
car and van just for emergency use during winter.

One of our elderly neighbours up the road has a 4x4 quad bike with a
blade on the front, so when it gets really deep he always ends up coming
over and ploughing (it's about 100' from the road to our garage - I've
hand-shoveled it a few times, but it's a sod of a job)

cheers

Jules

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 05/02/2012 18:14, Jules Richardson wrote:
[...]

Well I live in central scotland and for all the snow we actually get I
made my own out of a rectangle of ply screwed to a piece of 2 x 2.
Does the job around the house. cost me £0
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/02/2012 16:42, Fred wrote:
Hi,

I got caught out today because I did not have a shovel to shift snow.

I had a shovel and snow chains for the car, but no snow.

There seem to be two types of "snow shovel": one that is a big scoop
on a stick and another which looks like a normal shovel but is made of
plastic.

Is any one type better than the rest or are they all as good as each
other?

I can see that the big scoop type will shift move snow in one go but
as you are still shifting the same weight of snow whether you move
fewer heavier throws or twice as many lighter ones, overall isn't the
effort the same?...

Watching a groundsman clearing snow from football pitch lines on the
news yesterday, it seems as though the best way to use the large scoop
is like a snow plough; pushing it along the ground so that the snow gets
thrown off to the side, rather than using it to lift the snow.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/02/2012 18:46, Nightjar wrote:
On 05/02/2012 16:42, Fred wrote:
[...]

On my gravel drive, and also on concrete and paving, I use the scoop as
both a plough and a shovel.

Using a lightweight builder's shovel it used to take me most of a day,
with a lunch break, to clear my drive (long, wide and "L" shaped). It
took around 2 hours with the scoop, and I cleared a footpath all around
the house and cleared the snow off two cars in that time.

Give me a scoop anytime.

--
Old Codger
e-mail use reply to field

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 05 Feb 2012 17:19:18 +0000, Clive George wrote:

Probably most efficient (and a lot faster) to move as much as you

can
shift with each shovel load, so the bigger lighter shovel should

be
better.

Nah - there's a sweet spot between too heavy and too light. Same as
gearing, and it'll vary between people.

And it will vary with the snow. Nice light dry powder is not a
problem to shift with a large shovel/scoop, apart from the fact it
blows about all over the place bit like tidying leaves in a breeze...
But heavier wetter sticky snow and a large shovel is almost too heavy
to lift.

What is important is the handle, a plain straight stick is OK for
just ploughing through a couple of inches of none too sticky snow.
However if you need to lift and the load isn't balanced on the blade
it makes it harder work as the plain round handle rotates in your
gloves, a proper T or D end to the handle is a great help.

We have the cheap red plastic blade straight handle type for general
clearing around the house and a plastic one with a D handle. They
last two or three seasons before either breaking or wearing out. In
the car I carry a proper metal shovel. Bear in mind that you may have
to deal with ice as well as snow, plastic just doesn't cut it with
ice.

A folding/collapsable shovel might be OK provided it is full size and
rigid when assmebled. A short handled shovel is harder work than a
longer handled one as you lose the mechanical advantage the longer
handle gives you.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David P wrote:
On Sun, 05 Feb 2012 16:42:04 +0000, Fred wrote:
There seem to be two types of "snow shovel": one that is a big scoop on
a stick and another which looks like a normal shovel but is made of
plastic.

Is any one type better than the rest or are they all as good as each
other?

We have some home made ones. They are basically a board about 16" wide
by 12" high, fixed onto a stick. They work perfectly and last year after
year.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David WE Roberts wrote:

Extend that comparison to moving the snow with a teaspoon and you may
find the effort is considerably more. :-)

When you move the snow you also move yourself. Most of the effort is in
moving yourself. So move as much snow each time as you can shift
comfortably, without overloading yourself.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/02/2012 16:42, Fred wrote:
[...]

Been strongly recommended to one like this.

http://masseys-diy.co.uk/snow-sledge...els-rock-salt/

Seemed to work better than the spade which is all I have.

Andy
--
BTW never heard of the company, going by the picture!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fred wrote:
On Sun, 05 Feb 2012 10:47:44 -0600, David P wrote:

I use the shovel to push the snow
aside and the scoop type when it needs throwing aside.

Thanks for the replies.

I hadn't realised that plastic had non-stick properties; that's a good
point.

If you want to make a metal shovel non-stick to shift snow - simply use the
high-tech way!

Warm the shovel blade with a blow torch and rub a candle (or plumbers
tallow) over the blade to leave a layer of wax on it.

Used this method on a very good quality builders shovel for years on both
soft and heavily compacted snow - and IMO, a metal shovel is far better at
shifting the compacted snow you usually get stuck on, than a plastic one.

Cash

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 05 Feb 2012 18:43:11 +0000, ss wrote:
Well I live in central scotland and for all the snow we actually get I
made my own out of a rectangle of ply screwed to a piece of 2 x 2. Does
the job around the house. cost me £0

Yes, nothing wrong with that approach, either. I do have a homebrew snow-
rake (for dragging snowfall off the house roof) which I also rustled
together using scrap wood; I expect it'll last a few years, at which
point I'll build myself another.

It's been an extrememly warm winter here (northern Minnesota) - normally
it's about -20F (-29C) at this time of year, but today it was up around
45F (7C); I was up in the workshop in just a t-shirt. We've only got
about 6" of snow on the ground; usually it's a couple of feet deeper than
that by now. At least the heating bills aren't as horrific as usual! :-)

cheers

Jules
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 05 Feb 2012 18:46:38 +0000, Nightjar wrote:
Watching a groundsman clearing snow from football pitch lines on the
news yesterday, it seems as though the best way to use the large scoop
is like a snow plough; pushing it along the ground so that the snow gets
thrown off to the side, rather than using it to lift the snow.

Yes, that's the way the scoops are really designed to be used (at least
the ones sold around here) - pushing rather than lifting... although you
can get a quite good lifting motion going if you set the handle at its
lowest level and grasp the back of the scoop with your hand, a bit like a
human excavator, swinging it and dumping it off to the side.

The problem I found with ours, as mentioned in another post, is that
unless the snow is really heavy I can physically push more than the scoop
can contain, so modifying the scoop so that it was deeper would be useful
(I've just never quite got the tuits together yet)

cheers

Jules

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 5 Feb 2012 23:05:14 +0000 (UTC), Jules Richardson
wrote:

It's been an extrememly warm winter here (northern Minnesota)

Ooh - I reckon I'm going to be around your way, week after next. I'm
going to Thunder Bay[1] on Friday and the kids are planning to take me
to Grand Marais[2] to visit the North House Folk School.

Nick
[1]Which I am well aware isn't in northern Minnesota
[2]Which I believe is
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

It's been an extrememly warm winter here (northern Minnesota)

Ooh - I reckon I'm going to be around your way, week after next. I'm
going to Thunder Bay[1] on Friday and the kids are planning to take me
to Grand Marais[2] to visit the North House Folk School.

Aha... yes, Thunder Bay's just across the border; my lad's guest-played
for one of their soccer teams a couple of times at tournaments down in
Minneapolis. We've met some nice folk from there!

On the Minnesota side, I've not been to Grand Marais, but I did get as
far as Two Harbors on that same stretch of lake shore last summer (we had
a tournament in Duluth and camped up at TH) which is just a stone's throw
away on US scales :-) It's a very pretty part of the world - I'd
recommend coming back again when it's warmer!

(I live farther west by the way, just a shade north of Bemidji)

cheers

Jules
Posted to uk.d-i-y

It's been an extrememly warm winter here (northern Minnesota) -
normally it's about -20F (-29C) at this time of year, but today it
was up around 45F (7C); I was up in the workshop in just a t-shirt.
We've only got about 6" of snow on the ground; usually it's a couple
of feet deeper than that by now. At least the heating bills aren't
as horrific as usual! :-)

But what is the *point* of weather like that?

Freeze distillation - eg Applejack?

--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
Jules Richardson wrote:

[...]

Keeps you on your toes dunnit?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

If you have any toes left...!

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 6 Feb 2012 01:10:14 +0000 (UTC), Jules Richardson
wrote:

(I live farther west by the way, just a shade north of Bemidji)

google maps
Interesting looking countryside.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/02/2012 16:42, Fred wrote:
[...]

I have a sheet of 6 foot x 4 foot hardboard that I use to clear my front
drive. Just push the 4' end into the snow and push it to the side of the
drive. Because of the width it clears the drive in no time at all!

--
Kev

Be who you are and say what you feel because those
who mind don't matter and those who matter don't
mind.

- Dr. Seuss
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 06 Feb 2012 19:15:26 +0000, Ret. wrote:

I have a sheet of 6 foot x 4 foot hardboard that I use to clear my front
drive. Just push the 4' end into the snow and push it to the side of the
drive. Because of the width it clears the drive in no time at all!

Don't think that would work with proper snow:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/allsorts-60/5233180278
http://www.flickr.com/photos/allsorts-60/5227040265

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 06 Feb 2012 19:15:26 +0000, Ret. wrote:

I have a sheet of 6 foot x 4 foot hardboard that I use to clear my
front drive. Just push the 4' end into the snow and push it to the
side of the drive. Because of the width it clears the drive in no
time at all!

Don't think that would work with proper snow:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/allsorts-60/5233180278
http://www.flickr.com/photos/allsorts-60/5227040265

We have not got any snow in Barnsley:-)

Doncaster has!

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:
We have not got any snow in Barnsley:-)

I had just passed my driving test a year ago when this
happened: http://pics.mdfs.net/2010/11

JGH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 05 Feb 2012 21:12:22 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

In the car I carry a proper metal shovel. Bear in mind that you may have
to deal with ice as well as snow, plastic just doesn't cut it with
ice.

Well I had almost been convinced to go plastic until you said this!
But you are right, today the snow has turned to ice and I think a
metal shovel would be best. I guess, as many of the replies have said,
it depends on the type of snow and perhaps you need a different tool
for each.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

In the car I carry a proper metal shovel. Bear in mind that you may have
to deal with ice as well as snow, plastic just doesn't cut it with ice.

Well I had almost been convinced to go plastic until you said this! But
you are right, today the snow has turned to ice and I think a metal
shovel would be best. I guess, as many of the replies have said, it
depends on the type of snow and perhaps you need a different tool for
each.

our shovel has a steel edge to the plastic - no problem with chipping.

It cost c£20 a couple of years ago from an agricultural merchants. I'm
sure a web search would turn one up.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 07 Feb 2012 13:45:46 -0600, David P wrote:

our shovel has a steel edge to the plastic - no problem with chipping.

Will slow down wear from plough shoveling but the plastic will still
break if used against ice, a steel shovel won't.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 07 Feb 2012 21:37:34 +0000, Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Tue, 07 Feb 2012 13:45:46 -0600, David P wrote:

our shovel has a steel edge to the plastic - no problem with chipping.

Will slow down wear from plough shoveling but the plastic will still
break if used against ice, a steel shovel won't.

Plastic is never as strong as ice but its worked for me (esp. last year)

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

o.uk...

wrote:

In the car I carry a proper metal shovel. Bear in mind that you may have
to deal with ice as well as snow, plastic just doesn't cut it with ice.

Well I had almost been convinced to go plastic until you said this! But
you are right, today the snow has turned to ice and I think a metal
shovel would be best. I guess, as many of the replies have said, it
depends on the type of snow and perhaps you need a different tool for
each.

our shovel has a steel edge to the plastic - no problem with chipping.

It cost c£20 a couple of years ago from an agricultural merchants. I'm
sure a web search would turn one up.

David

Currently one of these is £9.95 at Axminster:
http://www.axminster.co.uk/burgon-an...er-prod868167/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 07 Feb 2012 23:33:32 +0000, ferretygubbins wrote:
Currently one of these is £9.95 at Axminster:
http://www.axminster.co.uk/burgon-an...h-ice-scraper-

prod868167/

.... but the rest are 500 quid each?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

(I live farther west by the way, just a shade north of Bemidji)

google maps
Interesting looking countryside.

It's all lakes and trees and deer around here. The population's pretty
sparse - something like 6 million people in an area the size of England,
but about half of them are all down around Minneapolis and St. Paul.

cheers

Jules
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 06 Feb 2012 09:13:29 +0000, Tim Streater wrote:
It's been an extrememly warm winter here (northern Minnesota) -
normally it's about -20F (-29C) at this time of year, but today it was
up around 45F (7C); I was up in the workshop in just a t-shirt. We've
only got about 6" of snow on the ground; usually it's a couple of feet
deeper than that by now. At least the heating bills aren't as horrific
as usual! :-)

But what is the *point* of weather like that?

:-) I don't mind it, TBH.. cold is cold - I think once you're in hat and
gloves territory it doesn't make much difference how cold it gets
outside. Sure, you have to be a bit more sensible about it - dress in
layers, keep blankets in the car just in case etc. - but on the whole a
cold day here isn't any different to a cold day in the UK.

Plus, it helps when it's that cold for long stretches of time; the body
gets used to it somewhat. The downside is that people do start going a
bit loopy toward the end of the season as cabin fever sets in ;-)

cheers

Jules

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jules Richardson wrote:
[...]