Posted to uk.d-i-y
Old Codger[_4_] Old Codger[_4_] is offline

Default snow shovel

On 05/02/2012 18:46, Nightjar wrote:
On 05/02/2012 16:42, Fred wrote:
Hi,

I got caught out today because I did not have a shovel to shift snow.

I had a shovel and snow chains for the car, but no snow.

There seem to be two types of "snow shovel": one that is a big scoop
on a stick and another which looks like a normal shovel but is made of
plastic.

Is any one type better than the rest or are they all as good as each
other?

I can see that the big scoop type will shift move snow in one go but
as you are still shifting the same weight of snow whether you move
fewer heavier throws or twice as many lighter ones, overall isn't the
effort the same?...

Watching a groundsman clearing snow from football pitch lines on the
news yesterday, it seems as though the best way to use the large scoop
is like a snow plough; pushing it along the ground so that the snow gets
thrown off to the side, rather than using it to lift the snow.

On my gravel drive, and also on concrete and paving, I use the scoop as
both a plough and a shovel.

Using a lightweight builder's shovel it used to take me most of a day,
with a lunch break, to clear my drive (long, wide and "L" shaped). It
took around 2 hours with the scoop, and I cleared a footpath all around
the house and cleared the snow off two cars in that time.

Give me a scoop anytime.

--
Old Codger
e-mail use reply to field